• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tinder is destroying men’s self-esteem (New York Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that's normal. Things different from us or our culture tend to perk up our curiosity especially their women if you're a man. LOL

As a strip club connoisseur, every so often when I'm in some hole in the wall, all black strip club; you'll see this out of place, square ass white guy who looks like he just got off work/or got into a fight with his wife so decided to chill here. It's hilarious watching them mesmerized seeing the booty move in ways they've never seen before.
You should introduce that man to some Spicy J webcam vids.

PK Gaming

What if instead, this post said:

"I don't find black men attractive at all for the most part. They generally don't have the features I find attractive. But there's rare exceptions of course."

Racist? Not racist? Diet racist? Which is it? I vote "not racist", but based on what this thread has been telling me, it's absolutely racist. Go figure.

It's not racist, but definitely patronizing as fuck.

I don't need to hear someone's incredibly basic spiel on why black people don't appeal to them. Just say you're not into black people like the majority of people on Okcupid and call it a day.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's not racist, but definitely patronizing as fuck.
How so? And do you think that of Cindi's post about white guys, too?

Btw I do think that writing that on your dating profile or whatever is kind of trashy, if I were doing online dating I sure wouldn't write "only long-haired men please", that's just tacky. :p Same with whoever write their "taller than X please" or whatever. But that's a far cry from being a racist/bigot.

User1608

Banned
What a beautiful thread. Gotta love ignorant and intolerant views. Preference on the color of one's skin...get out of here with that bullshit.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Don't use Tinder.

I was a 22-year-old virgin and accidentally ended up meeting my current partner of three years randomly in a pub on a night out, completely unintentionally.

Moral is, put yourself in positions where you can meet women. The more you meet, the better the odds of meeting someone you're compatible with for the right reasons.

While I agree partly with this, the bar scenario can be equally depression inducing.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What a beautiful thread. Gotta love ignorant and intolerant views. Preference on the color of one's skin...get out of here with that bullshit.
I don't hold any such preference myself but why is this such a big deal if some do? How is it any different than preference for height, or weight, or hair length, or boob size?

Media

I don't hold any such preference myself but why is this such a big deal if some do? How is it any different than preference for height, or weight, or hair length, or boob size?

I am pretty sure it's because of the history behind such views. I mean, mixed marriage wasn't even legal until a short time ago.

User1608

Banned
Because one has no control over being born with an aspect outside of their control. Weight, hair, even breast size can be changed. It really reeks of intolerance at best, and racism at worst.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Because one has no control over being born with an aspect outside of their control. Weight, hair, even breast size can be changed.
So? You like what you like. As for changing, I sure as hell wouldn't change my hair to please some man (let alone get a boob job - btw women are often shamed for doing that), and I don't expect guys to grow their hair to please me. But it's what I prefer regardless and it's what I find attractive. And women who prefer to date taller men aren't intolerant or evil either.

It really reeks of intolerance at best, and racism at worst.
No. It's shallowness, not intolerance or bigotry. Big difference. We're talking about physical attraction, not granting someone basic respect. Christ.

Because one has no control over being born with an aspect outside of their control. Weight, hair, even breast size can be changed. It really reeks of intolerance at best, and racism at worst.

It is indeed disappointing. But like I said way before, people can have all the preferences they want and no one should tell them to date someone they don't want to, just keep them to yourself and don't go announcing them like a bigot and berating people on dating sites with that. In this thread the discussion of our preferences is ok because that is the topic of course, but out there we shouldn't be an ass.

Leeness

Yeh, get invasive surgery.

Besides, women get shamed for having small breasts, large breasts, fake breasts, real breasts, so why would anyone bother changing it unless they wanted to for themselves?

User1608

Banned
So? You like what you like. As for changing, I sure as hell wouldn't change my hair to please some man (let alone get a boob job - btw women are often shamed for doing that), and I don't expect guys to grow their hair to please me. But it's what I prefer regardless and it's what I find attractive. And women who prefer to date taller men aren't intolerant or evil either.

No. It's shallowness, not intolerance or bigotry. Big difference. We're talking about physical attraction, not granting someone basic respect. Christ.
Yeah, I didn't say it in the best way, but I mean it in that those aspects can be changed if one is personally dissatisfied. The shade of somebody's skin color however cannot be so easily changed, and it is a crucial difference that separates minorities, poc from whites in the eyes of so many, like in the dating world.

I would say someone who wouldn't date another person for the color of their skin is an asshole, and potentially bigoted. I don't think poc feel so good when they're rejected over their skin color. I say this as a lighter skinned minority who's been lucky but certainly dealt with some assholes online. Didn't feel so good to get certain comments.

Besides, women get shamed for having small breasts, large breasts, fake breasts, real breasts, so why would anyone bother changing it unless they wanted to for themselves?
I've addressed it a bit, my apologies. Totally take full responsibility for the initial poor reply. I realize my response was problematic, so thanks.
because when you exclude a race, you exclude millions of people whom you haven't seen. you don't know what they look like. you just know they are this race. They DONT all have similar characteristics. So why exclude them all? Answer, racism.
Thank you for putting it much better than me.

Sunster

because when you exclude a race, you exclude millions of people whom you haven't seen. you don't know what they look like. you just know they are this race. They DONT all have similar characteristics. So why exclude them all? Answer, racism.

Media

This is kinda how I see it. I mean, for example, white women come in tons of variations. Hair color, height, eye color, personality..all the things that people usually have preferences for. Saying 'I'm not attracted to white women.' Is odd. Same with other races. There's too many variables for it to be just a preference, in my eyes.

There is a bit of a disagreement here over preferences I think.

Having preferences isn't any bad, or at least it can't be avoided. Ideally everybody would be attractive to everyone, but that's impossible. But it does irk me when people state their preference as a requirement.

Now I still get bothered when someone states they won't date people of a certain height or race for example. It is then stated as a requirement. Now for some it actually be the case that they can't don't have any attraction if someone doesn't matches that, but I think often that is not the case. If someone states they only date a specific race, I do have some reservations.

What bothers me is that someone puts a hard restriction on a superficial trait. With many people it limits a lot who they can date and are often told to just compensate for it. If that was easy everybody would do it, so I think it is a bit of an unfair expectation. If someone is going to filter out their dating pool it is off-putting for me to see that so many people decide to do so by filtering out appearances.

On an individual basis things like this aren't too bad. But those preferences are shared, stated and enforced by a lot of people and it makes things difficult for many people. I think it would be a lot easier to date if people would be more reserved with their physical preferences.

This is kinda how I see it. I mean, for example, white women come in tons of variations. Hair color, height, eye color, personality..all the things that people usually have preferences for. Saying 'I'mean not attracted to white women.' Is odd. Same with other races. There's too many variables for it to be just a preference, in my eyes.

Exactly. I'm not typically into white woman, but part of that has everything to do with me not being in White social circles. (The other part has to do with Atlanta having too many dope Black women) I remember in college which was predominately White, but yet I navigated in predominately Black social circles. There was this one White woman that I would see on campus and thought her whole steez was sexy as hell but she was in a completely different world as me despite us being at the same college. She was in a White sorority, her White boyfriend was captain of the baseball team, she was super popular and navigated through predominantly White social circles. One day, I'm chilling in the girls dorm with the RA, (a Black woman) because we're good friends, and this White woman knocks on the door to talk to the RA about something, and when she leaves I tell the RA, man she is so dope. My RA looks at me shocked and asks "Really"? And I'm like, yeah. She then tells me, what a coincidence, because she thinks you're hot... I was flabbergasted, because I didn't think she even knew who I was or noticed me, yet alone thought I was hot. Needless to say, we eventually hooked up through the persistence of my RA, but it was an eye opening experience for both of us in considering options we figured wasn't even an option to begin with and if it wasn't for luck, it wouldn't have ever happened.

PK Gaming

How so? And do you think that of Cindi's post about white guys, too?

Btw I do think that writing that on your dating profile or whatever is kind of trashy, if I were doing online dating I sure wouldn't write "only long-haired men please", that's just tacky. :p Same with whoever write their "taller than X please" or whatever. But that's a far cry from being a racist/bigot.

I literally just said why, but to reiterate:

I don't mind preferences. Everyone has preferences and there's absolutely wrong with being honest with what you like. However, pulling a John Mayer and trying to justify your reasons for not liking a particular race is ridiculously condescending to me. I really could not give less of a shit if you don't like Black guys because of certain "features." Good for you I guess? (I'm sure public perception of black guys totally didn't have an effect on that at all).

Re: Cindy's post

I'm not sure what post you're referring to.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

This is true. Ive known girls with naturally large breasts contemplating getting a breast reduction.
Breasts are just breasts. Big, small they are both great.
I'm more of a hip ratio guy. She can be the prettiest girl, but if the hips arent above at least a certain width, it's a turn off for me.

hypernima

Banned
As long as they can cook as good as me idc.
Pertaining to the article though, hasn't society heavily weighted on women's aesthetic expectations? It's about time men realize that they can be perceived in the same manner.

I know what I'm attracted to. White people are in every corner of my life. White men and women are all over the media. I can safely say that I've seen lots of white people in my life. It's impossible to avoid them in America. In that number, I think I can think of five white men I've been attracted to.

Your answer is highly reductionist. It would make sense if you haven't seen that many of that race. But white guys are all I generally see in media (on TV, in movies, in politics) and in real life. I just don't generally think they're attractive. Not PC to say, but I don't think it's inherently racist to say it either.

Benedict Cumberbatch? Fugly. Brad Pitt? Shrug. Leonardo DiCaprio? Phht. I bet you if you posted a white man that is said to be conventionally hot, I wouldn't agree because he wouldn't tick my boxes. Asian, Arab, and Latino sometimes tick my boxes, but it's still kind of rare. Jason Mamoa for instance is hot as fuck. But I mean, compare my reaction to tonight, I saw a black guy at work in a simple white t-shirt and grey sweat pants and bit my lip because he was a looker. When I got home tonight and saw my bf, I wanted to drool. I told him he was extra sexy tonight, and it was true. That's two guys right there. In terms of physical attraction, I get turned on from random men maybe...4 times a week give or take. They're almost always black men. I work at an an international destination, so I'm surrounded by thousands of people from all over the world, and the men that generally work for me are men of my own race.

And you're telling me that's racism? How? It's not a judgement. It's pure mental, subconscious reflex. I don't do this on purpose. It says nothing about their character or that other races are inferior or anything.

That said, looks aren't everything and I'm open to dating people of other races, but in terms of attraction upon first passing? It will 95% always be a black man that makes me do a double take.

If someone finds an entire race of people unattractive, then that person comes across as shady as fuck to me, especially when proudly announcing such a thing, and also of extraordinarily poor taste. Poor bastards.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I would say someone who wouldn't date another person for the color of their skin is an asshole, and potentially bigoted. I don't think poc feel so good when they're rejected over their skin color.
I understand that it sucks, but no one likes to be considered unattractive over things they can't control, whether it's the shape of their teeth, their height, boob size and yes, skin tone and other racial features too. Just as someone would be an asshole to tell me "your small boobs and crooked teeth make you ugly", they are allowed to think it and not consider me attractive for that and I wouldn't think they're bad people for finding me unattractive.

We're talking about preferences, not strict exclusion. Obviously someone who goes "eww brown people pass" is a racist but that's not what I, or anyone else in this thread that I could see, was talking about

Re: Cindy's post

I'm not sure what post you're referring to.
You replied and quoted that post, lol. I literally took her post word-for-word, but replaced "white men" with "black men". So far, few, if anyone, have accused Cindi of racism (and IMO they absolutely shouldn't), but, well... do you think she's being racist?

If you find an entire race of people unattractive, then you come across as shady as fuck to me, especially when proudly announcing such a thing, and also of extraordinarily poor taste. Poor bastards.

I don't think anyone is talking about pride. We're just talking about what works for us.

Real talk, most women will probably agree with me.

http://tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/04/13/single-female-seeking-same-race-male/?_r=0

There’s also a clear gender divide, as the researchers note: “Women of all races exhibit strong same race preferences, while men of no race exhibit a statistically significant same race preference.” You might think the gender gap is the result of different dating goals: perhaps the men are more interested in short-term flings, whereas the women are looking for a lasting relationship and are concerned about potential complications from cultural differences. But the researchers conclude otherwise after looking at the data:

“Since older subjects (who are more likely to attend the Speed Dating sessions in hope of starting a serious relationship) have a weaker same race preference, this gender difference is unlikely to result from differential dating goals between men and women.”

The researchers found that most women speed daters said yes (meaning they’d like to see a man again after the four-minute speed date) less often to men of another race than they did to men of their own race. Here’s how much less interested they were in the other races, as compared with their enthusiasm for men of their own race:

African-American women said yes about 30 percent less often to Hispanic men; about 45 percent less often to white men; about 65 percent less often to Asian men.

White women said yes about 30 percent less often to black or Hispanic men, and about 65 percent less often to Asian men.

Hispanic women said yes about 20 percent less often to black or white men, and 50 percent less often to Asian men.

Asian women didn’t discriminate much by race (except for showing a very slight preference for Asian men over black or Hispanic men).

After noting who said yes to whom, the researchers analyzed a confounding factor: the men’s physical attractiveness. They found that the women of different races generally agreed with one another in rating the various men’s attractiveness — and that they were less willing to date a man of another race even when he was just as attractive as a man of their own race. When the researchers controlled for the men’s attractiveness, they found that white, Hispanic and Asian women generally showed about the same level of same-race preference, while black women showed a significantly higher preference.

Or are most women racist now?

The idea that we all have to have to be attracted to every race on Earth is just such rubbish and often the result of men assuming that female sexuality works the same way as male sexuality.

I don't think anyone is talking about pride. We're just talking about what works for us.

http://tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/04/13/single-female-seeking-same-race-male/?_r=0

The idea that we all have to have to be attracted to every race on Earth is just such rubbish and often the result of men assuming that female sexuality works the same way as male sexuality.

I wasn't actually referring to you or any women, should've been more specific, but someone else I first read when I got linked to a post in this thread.

It doesn't change that I think the mindset that leads someone to proclaim an entire race unattractive is in fact some sad, sad shit, often with racists connotations, yes. I've heard plenty of bullshit from white people regarding black women throughout my life.

Once again, these are people of extraordinary bad taste, nothing to be proud of.

Markoman

If someone finds an entire race of people unattractive, then that person comes across as shady as fuck to me, especially when proudly announcing such a thing, and also of extraordinarily poor taste. Poor bastards.

Wat? I hope it's only you, because that's some high level bs. I appreciate Cindi's honesty in this regard because I don't like self-imposed correctness when it comes to topics like this one.

What's next? Should I feel bad or ashamed for not being attracted to ugly people or even all people on earth?

Attraction is about personal preferences and taste not some moral imperative.

If you like every type of food...cool...but leave others alone who don't like cheese, mushrooms,....

C4Lukins

I bet everyone of you guys bitching about this swept left on overweight girls and muppet faced females without even reading their profiles.

But I am going to experiment with this tomorrow.
After my haircut at 2pm, I will create a profile. I will state that I am 5'9, I am actually 5'11 and will report back on the results. I will also swipe right on every female listed, not just the ones I find attractive.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I bet everyone of you guys bitching about this swept left on overweight girls and muppet faced females without even reading their profiles.
People can lose weight, you can't change height or skin color.

Well you can, it's just not ideal...

Wat? I hope it's only you, because that's some high level bs. I appreciate Cindi's honesty in this regard because I don't like self-imposed correctness when it comes to topics like this one.

What's next? Should I feel bad or ashamed for not being attracted to ugly people or even all people on earth?

Attraction is about personal preferences and taste not some moral imperative.

If you like every type of food...cool...but leave others alone who don't like cheese, mushrooms,....

It's high level bullshit to be find exclusion of an entire race to be ridiculous and off-putting? lol, yeah, you stay proud of those wonderful race-based personal preferences of yours.

C4Lukins

I read them and I feel bad.

It is not real life. I think a lot of people's online personas are a superhero version of themselves. If you are honest, that is an automatic disadvantage.

So what I am going to see is if I remove a couple of inches, take a selfie in natural lighting, and produce an honest bio but one that is maybe a little more pitiful then the reality, and see how people react.

Markoman

It's high level bullshit to be find exclusion of an entire race to be ridiculous and off-putting? lol, yeah, you stay proud of those wonderful race-based personal preferences of yours.

Man relax, what are you talking about?
Attractiveness in this context only refers to visual and thus sexual appeal. We're talking about Tinder here, so I think this should be pretty obvious.

Just talking about banging not marrying:
If you show a pic of a handsome 10/10 black guy and a pic of a handsome 10/10 white guy to Cindi, she will go with the black guy.
If you show a pic of a handsome 10/10 black girl and a handsome 10/10 white girl to me, I will go with the white girl.

This is called honesty about your own preferences. We really shouldn't play the "oh, I love everyone, because Jesus or the Internet told me so" spiel.

If you add "character" to your definition of "attractiveness" I will agree with you... but that's the rather uncommon definition of "attractiveness" especially in a Tinder-related thread about shorter dudes and their issues.

PK Gaming

You replied and quoted that post, lol. I literally took her post word-for-word, but replaced "white men" with "black men". So far, few, if anyone, have accused Cindi of racism (and IMO they absolutely shouldn't), but, well... do you think she's being racist?

No, of course not.

Still doesn't change the fact that the majority of women prefer white men, but it is what it is. Not going to begrudge people for their references.

I can't speak for him, and personally, skin tone is basically irrelevant to me, but I can see it being a preference without making one racist. And of course there are exceptions, but when a preference, or set of preferences, would mean you are not attracted to, say, 95% of an ethnic/racial group, does that make you racist? Is it only racism if it's 100%? I just don't get it.

I mean look at this:

What if instead, this post said:

"I don't find black men attractive at all for the most part. They generally don't have the features I find attractive. But there's rare exceptions of course."

Racist? Not racist? Diet racist? Which is it? I vote "not racist", but based on what this thread has been telling me, it's absolutely racist. Go figure.

And I imagine someone who doesn't care for dark skin tones wouldn't be attracted to Hulk Hogan either. Not sure what your point is (if there was one beyond just a joke at Hulk Hogan's expense, that is xD).

Why is this so hard to believe?

I don't find women attractive. There are billions of them.
I don't find bald and short-haired men attractive*. There are probably billions of them too.

I must be bigoted against women (lol) and short-haired men or something...

* (A few very rare exception do exist on the short-haired ones, but they are indeed exceedingly rare. )

Well I've never seen a woman I found attractive. I can find them beautiful, or pretty, or whatever, and sometimes I am even in awe at how pretty they are, but I'm still not attracted to them and certainly would never date them nor have sex with them. So I really don't get your point...
This is a good fight to fight.

But he's short ;P

He's 5'7; I'm 5'4.

Thus, Dave Franco is a

Z2MRD2l.gif

If he were 5'3, he'd be a

jOGNwyM.gif

ericexpo

I think my biggest problem with dating apps is its to easy to meet the next person. You got out one date and the girl says there's no connection, cause it's easier to just go back to the pool of people.
People need to understand that a relationship takes time, you don't fall in love in an hour.

Koodo

Banned

Yes, most women and men are racist. Most of the entire population on this planet has incredibly racist views, I'm not sure why this is even up for debate.

It's important to recognize that we're not always aware of racist thoughts and actions – a subconscious reflex as you referred it to – since every single one of us were brought up in a world where systemic racism is a reality. Ignorance does not excuse the act from being racist, however.

A lot of the distaste towards other races does not originate from the same innately personal preference of preferring Pantene over Head & Shoulders for your shampoo, but rather from influences that arise from the system of oppression that we live in. Saying you cannot date an entire race flat-out comes from a racist origin – whether you are aware of that or not.

That being said, you're not saying that:

That said, looks aren't everything and I'm open to dating people of other races, but in terms of attraction upon first passing? It will 95% always be a black man that makes me do a double take.

It's unclear to me why you're choosing to jump in defence of the problematics who hold the opinion of never being attracted to another race as an acceptable "preference" to hold.

It's also important to note the vast difference in experiences between whites and people of colour. The latter of us have to deal with nasty shit like fetishization or flat-out ridicule for being of a different culture (which you've already addressed), and that breeds exhaustion and apprehension for dating outside our own races. That can filter into why we find people of our race more attractive as well – it's just less risk of being treated like an object. These cases of "preference" in people of colour also arise from the same system of oppression, but race starts to become less of an arbitrary trait and more of a safeguard; it's a sympathetic position to hold, to an extent. White people though, in their position of power and not having to fear the consequences that people of colour are subjected to? There's little explanation for "I'm not attracted to [X]" having anything other than racist undertones.

C4Lukins

Dude chill. People have sexual preferences. I am not into blondes, I am not into women under 5 feet tall or over six feet tall. I prefer natural breasts. I like redheads, and very rarely am attracted to black females, but occasionally run across one that I find exceptionally beautiful. I am not into guys, but I am proud enough to be able to admit that I am jealous of some super attractive dudes I see or that I know.

I guess some people can be PC with their physical attractions, but that is something you have to work at. When it comes down to straight up instincts, from a purely physical perspective we all have our thing, and not our thing.

Man relax, what are you talking about?
Attractiveness in this context only refers to visual and thus sexual appeal. We're talking about Tinder here, so I think this should be pretty obvious.

Just talking about banging not marrying:
If you show a pic of a handsome 10/10 black guy and a pic of a handsome 10/10 white guy to Cindi, she will go with the black guy.
If you show a pic of a handsome 10/10 black girl and a handsome 10/10 white girl to me, I will go with the white girl.

This is called honesty about your own preferences. We really shouldn't play the "oh, I love everyone, because Jesus or the Internet told me so" spiel.

If you add "character" to your definition of "attractiveness" I will agree with you... but that's the rather uncommon definition of "attractiveness" especially in a Tinder-related thread about shorter dudes and their issues.

I came into this thread to a post about someone seemingly saying all black women are unattractive to him, so that 10/10 black girl you're talking about wouldn't register at all to someone like that, there's no comparison to be made there. So, if someone is making proclamations about an entire race on a level like that, I start to think some things about that person, which is reasonable, plenty of history there.

I'm pretty stoked that being honest about my preferences doesn't exclude an entire race of people though(or you know, hair color), not even close, so fucking a', right?

Hanulinen

Neo Member
I'm 4'11" and I'd like my bf to be taller than me...

Sorry :'(

Actually I don't care. If I found a guy as short or shorter than me, how adorable would that be?!

Roufianos

Preference on the color of one's skin...get out of here with that bullshit.

Preference on the colour of one's eyes.

Preference on the strength of one's jaw.

Preference on the size of one's breast.

Is there literally any difference? No. Skin colour is a physical trait, the same as any other.

You better tell the millions of people who sit in the sun to try and alter their skin tone that they're wasting their time. Apparently the only people who are going to find them more attractive with a tan are racist.

Teknoman

I'm 4'11" and I'd like my bf to be taller than me...

Sorry :'(

Actually I don't care. If I found a guy as short or shorter than me, how adorable would that be?!

If only more people felt like that. Sucks to over hear "He's cute but...so short". Just gotta try harder I guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom