• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tinder is destroying men’s self-esteem (New York Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llyranor

So give up and be labelled something I'm not?

You're such a big man attempting to mock and belittle me, how about actually contributing to the discussion.

1. How is "I don't find black girls attractive" any different to a lesbian saying "I don't find men attractive"?

Is the lesbian's comment also racist? Do you think it makes her sexist? Isn't it more likely that these statements are just a matter of physical preference and nothing more sinister?

2. Why have I not been called racist for not liking blonde and blue eyed women? There's literally no difference between my statements on them and those in regards to black women.

Again, my grandmother had blonde hair and blue eyes. Some of my aunts do. My sister also has blonde hair. According to the backwards logic of people in this thread, that makes me racist against my own heritage.

Also since you act like such a player, have you ever used Tinder? What kind of women were you matching with?
Ok, since you are still bunkering down that that statement is acceptable...

1) One is a divide based on sex/gender, which is the case for the vast majority of humans. The other is a specifically racial barrier.

2) Why is it that when you describe caucasian features you dislike, you can list very specific elements, but when it comes to black women, you still remain very vague and elusive about what exactly you dislike (that they all share in common)?

Sunster

All we'd have to do is show a lot more black women in movies and magazines being desirable to white guys and then all the little boys wouldn't grow up thinking white women are top of the chain

We've got a long damn way to go

Or just put more black woman in movies and magazines and all media. Black women don't need a white man's gaze to be validated.

Shredderi

That article is my experience with literally every white guy who has messaged me on online dating sites/apps. Nope nope nope nope.

Wow that article is something else. Some parts made me laugh because a real person had to think to themselves that saying some of those things was a good idea.

Media

Ya know, I'm a straight woman but I honestly think black women and women from India are the most gorgeous. I'm not sure why. I wish I was that pretty maybe? Lol

Their loss. That hot latin booty is dat nectar of the fucking gods.

My problem with men's open mindedness about interracial dating is how it can often be reduced to mere exoticism. It feels less about being open to different kinds of people and more about putting ______ feature of Y race on a pedestal to fetishize them. Reminds me of every white girl friend I have that has tried to confide me about how much she needs that "bbc". I have to tell them I'm not their goddamn match maker for black men just because daddy said she's not allowed to date black men. There's enough dehumanizations because girls have weird ideas on dating a black man and care more about his penis than she cares about him. I'm not sure why people are okay with being exotified and it's a large reason I reject dating interracially. I admit not every person who does it does so because they're exotifying an entire people and have legitimate love and attraction, but it doesn't stop a lot of interracial attraction from feeling that way.

Like its a goddamn checklist of how many race you've fucked.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well, you can have black people with very light skin, and white people with fairly dark skin. What about mixed race? Does that 'I don't find black women attractive' guy with black friends so he isn't a racist implement the one-drop rule?
I can't speak for him, and personally, skin tone is basically irrelevant to me, but I can see it being a preference without making one racist. And of course there are exceptions, but when a preference, or set of preferences, would mean you are not attracted to, say, 95% of an ethnic/racial group, does that make you racist? Is it only racism if it's 100%? I just don't get it.

I mean look at this:
I feel you. I don't find white men attractive at all for the most part. They generally don't have features I find attractive. But there's rare exceptions of course.
What if instead, this post said:

"I don't find black men attractive at all for the most part. They generally don't have the features I find attractive. But there's rare exceptions of course."

Racist? Not racist? Diet racist? Which is it? I vote "not racist", but based on what this thread has been telling me, it's absolutely racist. Go figure.

Hulk Hogan is darker than a good portion of black people.
And I imagine someone who doesn't care for dark skin tones wouldn't be attracted to Hulk Hogan either. Not sure what your point is (if there was one beyond just a joke at Hulk Hogan's expense, that is xD).

"I don't find an entire group of people whose numbers are in the hundreds of millions attractive. Not a single one. It's just a preference though."

lmao
Why is this so hard to believe?

I don't find women attractive. There are billions of them.
I don't find bald and short-haired men attractive*. There are probably billions of them too.

I must be bigoted against women (lol) and short-haired men or something...

* (A few very rare exception do exist on the short-haired ones, but they are indeed exceedingly rare. )

You've never seen an attractive man? Ever? Like you're just so totally hetero and manly you can't even fathom saying a man has attractive qualities?
Well I've never seen a woman I found attractive. I can find them beautiful, or pretty, or whatever, and sometimes I am even in awe at how pretty they are, but I'm still not attracted to them and certainly would never date them nor have sex with them. So I really don't get your point...

Ya know, I'm a straight woman but I honestly think black women and women from India are the most gorgeous. I'm not sure why. I wish I was that pretty maybe? Lol
637296.jpg

snake-MGS5-rubbing-ashes-on-face-ashes-weird-14473278810.gif

My problem with men's open mindedness about interracial dating is how it can often be reduced to mere exoticism. It feels less about being open to different kinds of people and more about putting ______ feature of Y race on a pedestal to fetishize them. Reminds me of every white girl friend I have that has tried to confide me about how much she needs that "bbc". I have to tell them I'm not their goddamn match maker for black men just because daddy said she's not allowed to date black men. There's enough dehumanizations because girls have weird ideas on dating a black man and care more about his penis than she cares about him. I'm not sure why people are okay with being exotified and it's a large reason I reject dating interracially. I admit not every person who does it does so because they're exotifying an entire people and have legitimate love and attraction, but it doesn't stop a lot of interracial attraction from feeling that way.

I'm open minded as fuck regarding race not because I fetishize them, but because I've taken the time to get to know them and care about them. I think of them as people. A lot of the women that opened my mind to dating such and such race were women that were actual friends of mine. Once I figured that I could talk to them and relate to them on a human level it just helped me be able to think of said race as dating potential.

You're such a big man attempting to mock and belittle me, how about actually contributing to the discussion.

1. How is "I don't find black girls attractive" any different to a lesbian saying "I don't find men attractive"?

Is the lesbian's comment also racist? Do you think it makes her sexist? Isn't it more likely that these statements are just a matter of physical preference and nothing more sinister?

2. Why have I not been called racist for not liking blonde and blue eyed women? There's literally no difference between my statements on them and those in regards to black women.

Again, my grandmother had blonde hair and blue eyes. Some of my aunts do. My sister also has blonde hair. According to the backwards logic of people in this thread, that makes me racist against my own heritage.

Also since you act like such a player, have you ever used Tinder? What kind of women were you matching with?

I already explained this to you in a post you have yet to respond to.

tkscz

From what i feel, if you don't fine my skin color (31 on that list) attractive, that's fine. Like it or not the color of my skin is a physical attribute and not everyone will be attracted to it. You're not racist for not finding it beautiful, you don't have to. However, if you say black and mean it in a way refuring to culture or personality (assuming i'm a specific way becaue of my skin color) then you're racist. Hope that helps.

This happens a lot in college, where people that come from homogeneously white neighborhoods come to a big college that has some diversity.

I can't speak for him, and personally, skin tone is basically irrelevant to me, but I can see it being a preference without making one racist. And of course there are exceptions, but when a preference, or set of preferences, would mean you are not attracted to, say, 95% of an ethnic/racial group, does that make you racist? Is it only racism if it's 100%? I just don't get it.

I mean look at this:

What if instead, this post said:

"I don't find black men attractive at all for the most part. They generally don't have the features I find attractive. But there's rare exceptions of course."

Racist? Not racist? Diet racist? Which is it? I vote "not racist", but based on what this thread has been telling me, it's absolutely racist. Go figure.

And I imagine someone who doesn't care for dark skin tones wouldn't be attracted to Hulk Hogan either. Not sure what your point is (if there was one beyond just a joke at Hulk Hogan's expense, that is xD).

I don't find bald and short-haired men attractive*. There are probably billions of them too.

I must be bigoted against women (lol) and short-haired men or something...

* (A few very rare exception do exist on the short-haired ones, but they are indeed exceedingly rare. )

Well I've never seen a woman I found attractive. I can find them beautiful, or pretty, or whatever, and sometimes I am even in awe at how pretty they are, but I'm still not attracted to them and certainly would never date them nor have sex with them. So I really don't get your point...

For me it's not just skin tone. It's also attitude. It's how you treat me. It's also about physical characteristics. I'm not sure why people think race is just about skin tone. Skin tone is just one element of physical characteristics.

Dabanton

This is why I've always avoided going out with non black women who say they only date black guys.

As if I was supposed to be impressed, it's tacky even me telling me that.

I think trying to compare race to gender is a huge mistake in situations like this. it's hard to believe because it's hard to believe. Race is such a generalized social structure that encompass such a huge variety of people, that it's impossible to say that you don't like members of X race since there will be members of X race that don't posses the predetermined features you think they will.

singhr1

http://st1.bollywoodlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/637296.jpg[IMG]

[/QUOTE]

I mean yeah she's very attractive but she's not even full Indian or born in India. She's just an attractive and very mediocre actress. Wouldn't be my first choice to represent "women from India"

I don't have a preference for any race, but I've noticed that I seem to have more success among Latino and Asian women. As in, they have a relative preference for me. I don't see anything wrong with dating outside your race, like at all. On the contrary, I find that I can learn a lot about the World, by meeting people from different parts of the World, who have had different experiences, different cultures, than I have. Your perspective seems close-minded, but understandable given the horrible messages you seem to be getting from white dudes fetishizing you on Tinder

I mean yeah she's very attractive but she's not even full Indian or born in India. She's just an attractive and very mediocre actress. Wouldn't be my first choice to represent "women from India"
Can any of the Bollywood actresses act? I steer clear of that stuff. I do have a thing for female Darth Vader voiced shohreh aghdashloo. Why do I always forget Indira Varma? Yes I just realized she's born in the UK.

Shredderi

Here in Finland this has been my anecdotal experience as well to be honest. I do not exaggerate when I say that each time I've heard a white finnish women mentioning about wanting to get with a black man it's always been about the mystical "bbc". Each and every time. I don't mean to state that I hear such things all the time, I mean there aren't a lot of black men in Finland for starters, but with the recent influx of refugees I've heard it a bit more often lately. Even women who have stated to me that they've dated a man with a monster dick their primary reason for wanting to date a black man is their penis size which is of course quaranteed to be huge since everyone knows that each and every black man has a horse cock. The exotifying and fetishization is strong.

Haven't heard any comments from finnish men about black women. I don't even remember seeing a black woman here, but then again I don't go out too much.

I don't have a preference for any race, but I've noticed that I seem to have more success among Latino and Asian women. As in, they have a relative preference for me. I don't see anything wrong with dating outside your race, like at all. On the contrary, I find that I can learn a lot about the World, by meeting people from different parts of the World, who have had different experiences, different cultures, than I have. Your perspective seems close-minded, but understandable given the horrible messages you seem to be getting from white dudes fetishizing you on Tinder

Latino isn't really a race plus some of them are Black women.

I'm open minded as fuck regarding race not because I fetishize them, but because I've taken the time to get to know them and care about them. I think of them as people. A lot of the women that opened my mind to dating such and such race were women that were actual friends of mine. Once I figured that I could talk to them and relate to them on a human level it just helped me be able to think of said race as dating potential.

Every time I see someone comment on how hot ______ guy that isn't their race is, it's always because they are that race.

Like I see a Hispanic guy I think is hot and I'm like "damn, gotta get that hispanic dick salsa, vamanos muchacho!". It's not because of them as a person or their features just for features sake. It's almost always because the fact it's foreign or something . It's rare I see interracial dating that doesn't feel like it's some form of exoticism. I can understand if you're attracted because of my features and you think I'm beautiful or whatever but when you tell me you're attracted to me purely because of what I am - and not in spite - that's when I get pissed.

I dunno, maybe I'm being irrational.

Latino isn't really a race plus some of them are Black women.

Fair enough. What's the correct term? Hispanic? I'm not so familiar with the terminology of race given that I'm European, and it's not as big of a discussion here as in the US. (In fact, due to WW2 the term "race" has generally been considered to be offensive, with the preferred term being "ethnicity", which I understand is considered offensive in the US)

Sunster

Fair enough. What's the correct term? Hispanic? I'm not so familiar with the terminology of race given that I'm European, and it's not as big of a discussion here as in the US. (In fact, due to WW2 the term "race" has generally been considered to be offensive, with the preferred term being "ethnicity", which I understand is considered offensive in the US)

Hispanic is also not a race. They can be black and white. Latino, Hispanic, Chicano, these are an ethnicity.

Here's a quick guide.

Latino: Person with heritage in a Latin American country
Hispanic: Person with heritage in a Spanish speaking country. (All Latinos are Hispanic. Not all Hispanics are Latino)
Chicano/Chicana: Person with Mexican heritage.

Every time I see someone comment on how hot ______ guy that isn't their race is, it's always because they are that race.

Like I see a Hispanic guy I think is hot and I'm like "damn, gotta get that hispanic dick salsa, vamanos muchacho!". It's not because of them as a person or their features just for features sake. It's almost always because the fact it's foreign or something . It's rare I see interracial dating that doesn't feel like it's some form of exoticism. I can understand if you're attracted because of my features and you think I'm beautiful or whatever but when you tell me you're attracted to me purely because of what I am - and not in spite - that's when I get pissed.

I dunno, maybe I'm being irrational.
I have racial preferences, but at the end of the day if I like the person it doesn't exactly matter to me. As I said earlier in here my first GF was Haitian. I didn't get with her because she was Haitian and I didn't turn her down cause she was Asian or Hispanic. I got with her cause I liked her. I know a lot of guys are just fetishist dogs and don't really care about what the person is all about as long as she has that "tight Asian pussy" or "big Latina booty" but I really don't base my relationships or crushes around that kind of shit. In all honesty I didn't even start liking Asian women for example until I got my second job. I was working with a Japanese woman, she was nine years older than me. Long story short we ended up talking during our shift and I just really admired her maturity and class, thought she was cute too. She was way out of my league though...didn't stop me from trying and fucking that shit right up though...then she became my boss...awkward as fuck.

I have no problem with dating interracially. My problem extends to the fact that a lot of interracial dating feels like exoticism. I even know married interracial couples and it feels like exoticism. Like I know a white guy who describes his wife (who is black) as a prize he won from the lotto and he's blessed to have a "chocolate woman" as his wife. It's not exclusive to black and white couples either.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
For me it's not just skin tone. It's also attitude. It's how you treat me. It's also about physical characteristics. I'm not sure why people think race is just about skin tone. Skin tone is just one element of physical characteristics.
Well of course, I was using that as an example of a physical characteristic that is usually informed by race.

I think trying to compare race to gender is a huge mistake in situations like this.
No one really explained why, though. After all, sexuality is a spectrum and bisexuality exists.

it's hard to believe because it's hard to believe. Race is such a generalized social structure that encompass such a huge variety of people, that it's impossible to say that you don't like members of X race since there will be members of X race that don't posses the predetermined features you think they will.
Which is why I think everyone (including Cindi and Roufianos) agreed that there are always exceptions. Is it still racist, then, if you say "I don't typically find white men attractive, minus a few rare exceptions"?

Ethnicity isn't considered offensive in the US. Latino just alludes to Latin American descent/ethnicty/culture. Hispanic includes Latino Americans and European Spanish countries like Spain and Portugal.

I have no problem with dating interracially. My problem extends to the fact that a lot of interracial dating feels like exoticism. I even know married interracial couples and it feels like exoticism. Like I know a white guy who describes his wife (who is black) as a prize he won from the lotto and he's blessed to have a "chocolate woman" as his wife. It's not exclusive to black and white couples either.

Man, what kind of fucked up rationale is this.

Sunster

I think it's important to self examine before pursuing any relationship. Why am I really into this person? If you can't come up with anything besides their looks or how different/interesting their culture is then save them the trouble.

No one really explained why, though. After all, sexuality is a spectrum and bisexuality exists.

Which is why I think everyone (including Cindi and Roufianos) agreed that there are always exceptions. Is it still racist, then, if you say "I don't typically find white men attractive, minus a few rare exceptions"?

My contention is with people who say they don't find x race attractive at all. Like I said before I don't think there's an issue with people who prefer one race over another. The problem occurs when you try to deny a race outright completely.

As fucked up as it is that kind of rationale is better than "I couldn't get me a white woman so I settled for this black woman."

Or the opposite, "Bruh, she ain't much too look at, but she white." Yes, I've had somebody say exactly that to me about their girlfriend, implying she's still a upgrade just for being white alone.

Or the opposite, "Bruh, she ain't much too look at, but she white." Yes, I've had somebody say exactly that to me about their girlfriend, implying she's still a upgrade just for being white alone.
Yeah that's some pretty fucked up shit. I think a lot of women think like that about white guys too. "Sure he's an asshole, but at least he's white."

Not

Banned

"Exotified." There's definitely something there, too. It's weird which traits we've assigned to people which make them "exotic." Most of them were born in the same country as you, hypothetical exotifying dude. They might've gone to your fucking preschool. Get over it.

"Exotified." There's definitely something there, too. It's weird which traits we've assigned to people which make them "exotic." Most of them were born in the same country as you, hypothetical exotifying dude. They might've gone to your fucking preschool. Get over it.

Nope. I won't.

Not

Banned

Nope. I won't.

I wasn't really addressing you in that post. Actually I was trying to agree with you. My bad.

Yeah that's some pretty fucked up shit. I think a lot of women think like that about white guys too. "Sure he's an asshole, but at least he's white."

I haven't heard it much when it comes to guys but I'm sure it exists.

As per the white girl example, it always reminds me of this. LOL

https://youtu.be/C3589eDY5rU?t=239

Damn I'm biracial (Asian/white), does that mean I'm exotic to everyone?

That feel when you don't have a "people".

If you're in America, you better pick a side. We don't play that inbetween bullshit. LOL

I don't know if this is directed at me, since I mentioned that I enjoy meeting people from other countries and cultures (but don't have a specific preference to do so) but if so: none of the Asian and Hispanic girls I've been on dates with grew up in my country

Media

I'm Navajo, so I am technically more American than most, and I get 'exotic' enough that it started to weird me out in my early 20s.

Not

Banned
really should watch out for those run on sentences

Yup. It's a dumb habit I've picked up in my writing.

I don't know if this is directed at me, since I mentioned that I enjoy meeting people from other countries and cultures (but don't have a specific preference to do so) but none of the Asian and Hispanic girls I've been on dates with grew up in my country

It's not. Sorry, I should've read everyone's posts so I could make that disclaimer. And for sure.

My best friend and wife are both asian/white.

It's a coincidence, because I'm from a majority white place and if their personality didn't gel with mine I wouldn't have been friends with either of them for almost ten years like I have. There are a ton of them though... 80's and 90's white guys seemed to get it goin' with Asian women more than any other time before. (The genderswapped version is also there, but not as prevalent).

I don't know but I know people exotify "blasians" all the time.

I think it's important to self examine before pursuing any relationship. Why am I really into this person? If you can't come up with anything besides their looks or how different/interesting their culture is then save them the trouble.

Completely agreed!

I don't know if this is directed at me, since I mentioned that I enjoy meeting people from other countries and cultures (but don't have a specific preference to do so) but if so: none of the Asian and Hispanic girls I've been on dates with grew up in my country

I think that's normal. Things different from us or our culture tend to perk up our curiosity especially their women if you're a man. LOL

As a strip club connoisseur, every so often when I'm in some hole in the wall, all black strip club; you'll see this out of place, square ass white guy who looks like he just got off work/or got into a fight with his wife so decided to chill here. It's hilarious watching them mesmerized seeing the booty move in ways they've never seen before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom