• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tinder is destroying men’s self-esteem (New York Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Media

I bet you aren't even that attractive. This is why men have shitty self esteem.

What the heck?

You know, women have vast tastes. Cindi don't like some of the guys I think are hot, I don't like some of the guys she thinks are hot.

How the hell does her taste in men have anything to do at all with how attractive she is?

Saganator

i don't believe this grower vs shower bullshit. it's a myth. everyone is a grower.

Def not a myth. Yeah everyone gets bigger with a boner but a growers can go from like laughably small to totally average to above average size. George was right as well, temperature is a factor.

Oppo

Why do I need wider options? We're not talking about dating. We were talking how you rate people, instinctly, on a physical scale. I don't need any options. My bf (6'5 black ex-army officer btw) is moving in with me next week. When I was on OKC, I had over 20 messages before the end of the first day. Ryan Gosling may not ask me out, but I don't give a fuck. I know I'm all that.

great. we have a very detailed picture about you and your tastes. what about the article? men on tinder? it sounds like your advice is basically to deal with it - attractive people only. since this is all about "dating/fucking".

What the heck?

You know, women have vast tastes. Cindi don't like some of the guys I think are hot, I don't like some of the guys she thinks are hot.

How the hell does her taste in men have anything to do at all with how attractive she is?

He's insinuating that Cindi is ugly and bitter or something, clearly indicating that he is an immature child.

great. we have a very detailed picture about you and your tastes. what about the article? men on tinder? it sounds like your advice is basically to deal with it - attractive people only. since this is all about "dating/fucking".

I mean, thats basically it. Step your shit up, ugly boyz.

Oppo

Basically. Be short and ugly on a app where people judge you on your pictures then wonder what the deal is brehs.

it's kind of weird to think back to the early days of online dating, when the idea was that you could potentially avoid the superficial club/bar scene and get a better idea of how people actually are, beyond what they look like. I guess that lasted only a little while.

Unbounded

And Coffee Meets Bagle stomps all. Like, 8 dates in three weeks, off of almost no effort other than basic texting skills.

CMB > OKC > Bumble > POF > smoldering bag of human shit > Tinder > Match

OKC is shit. It's full of a bunch of jackasses who pretend to be all progressive and shit but then answer yes to "is interracial marriage a bad idea?".

Yknow, normal internet two-faced bullshit where everyone says one thing but means/does another.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Turns out she's not a trump supporter, those snaps of her wearing the stickers was just to be cringey. Hmmm

it's kind of weird to think back to the early days of online dating, when the idea was that you could potentially avoid the superficial club/bar scene and get a better idea of how people actually are, beyond what they look like. I guess that lasted only a little while.

There are other dating apps and websites for that. Tinder is the all-you-can-eat buffet of dating apps. Faster, quicker, snap judgement. This girl's a yes, this girl's a no. This one's kinda cute. Funny bio, yes. Ew, no. No. Fat, thats a no. "Just making an account cuz my friends said to, lol" yea thats a no. Whooooa this chick bad SUPER LIKE. Yes. Yes. Damn you ugly, no. Yes. ehhhhhhhhh....yes, probably wont match anyway. Yes. HELL NO. Yea. "No Blacks" yea you gone end up alone bitch, no. Yes. Y E S.

Tinder is an app for hook ups and dating. What the fuck are you expecting? Do you work out? Most "ugly" guys have a few extra pounds on their face. Work out, lift weights to lose that face fat and I bet you won't think you're ugly. Honestly, I've seen very few ugly people. There's probably less ugly people in the world than attractive people in the world. Even then it begs the question: you think you're ugly but somehow think you're going to attract a woman with that attitude? Why in the hell would any woman want to give you the time of day if you describe yourself as ugly? And your point being? You don't think someone who has low self esteem isn't going to show that lack of confidence in their pics? Better know that it's the opposite. Sounds like a buster to me. You honestly sound like you're making excuses for your inadequacies. Definitely a buster. Hell yeah you better step the fuck up if you wanna get laid from Tinder, an app that's about first impressions and looks first and foremost.

Oh man this thread is amazing. I was initially going to ignore it completely since it was both a dating thread and height thread and both of them tend to be cringy as hell. But this one fucking delivered.

Oppo

Tinder is an app for hook ups and dating. What the fuck are you expecting? Do you work out? Most "ugly" guys have a few extra pounds on their face. Work out, lift weights to lose that face fat and I bet you won't think you're ugly. Honestly, I've seen very few ugly people. There's probably less ugly people in the world than attractive people in the world. Even then it begs the question: you think you're ugly but somehow think you're going to attract a woman with that attitude? Why in the hell would any woman want to give you the time of day if you describe yourself as ugly? And your point being? You don't think someone who has low self esteem isn't going to show that lack of confidence in their pics? Better know that it's the opposite. Sounds like a buster to me. You honestly sound like you're making excuses for your inadequacies. Definitely a buster. Hell yeah you better step the fuck up if you wanna get laid from Tinder, an app that's about first impressions and looks first and foremost.

this doesn't help a guy who's short though. or the massive ratio of men to women.

pretty harsh attitude, probably realistic, but I wonder if you'd say the same thing to women who have self esteem issues from various societal inputs. gonna guess no.

Leeness

There are other dating apps and websites for that. Tinder is the all-you-can-eat buffet of dating apps. Faster, quicker, snap judgement. This girl's a yes, this girl's a no. This one's kinda cute. Funny bio, yes. Ew, no. No. Fat, thats a no. "Just making an account cuz my friends said to, lol" yea thats a no. Whooooa this chick bad SUPER LIKE. Yes. Yes. Damn you ugly, no. Yes. ehhhhhhhhh....yes, probably wont match anyway. Yes. HELL NO. Yea. "No Blacks" yea you gone end up alone bitch, no. Yes. Y E S.

"Men get judged for being ugly or short!"

-posts the above-

🤔

Rembrandt

Banned
i've only read some girl's bios after we matched or after i clicked on her picture to see if she had anymore or because i was scrolling down to see her instagram. tinder is designed around physical attraction first and foremost.

this doesn't help a guy who's short though. or the massive ratio of men to women.

pretty harsh attitude, probably realistic, but I wonder if you'd say the same thing to women who have self esteem issues from various societal inputs. gonna guess no.

If you have self-esteem issues, dont go on Tinder. Straight up. Sorry, the world isn't obliged to date you cuz you exist. Aint here to massage your fragile ego or bruised self-esteem cuz you short and ugly and have no interesting hobbies. That goes for anybody, man or woman, black or white, straight or gay, cat or dog. Its a meat market, everybody's hunting for the best piece, and if you're aint a prime dish, fuck you doing here for?

This is Tinder where everyone judge everyone by the cover. It is shallow but it is equal discrimination toward both sex. The real "issue" is supply and demand. And the onus isn't on women.
So, tell me. How the hell is it even comparable to various, systematic pressure from every corner that women has to face on daily basis?

i've only read some girl's bios after we matched or after i clicked on her picture to see if she had anymore or because i was scrolling down to see her instagram. tinder is designed around physical attraction first and foremost.

If you have self-esteem issues, dont go on Tinder. Straight up. Sorry, the world isn't obliged to date you cuz you exist. Aint here to massage your fragile ego or bruised self-esteem cuz you short and ugly and have no interesting hobbies. That goes for anybody, man or woman, black or white, straight or gay, cat or dog. Its a meat market, everybody's hunting for the best piece, and if you're aint a prime dish, fuck you doing here for?

This is the harsh reality of an app like Tinder. The sooner you can accept it, the better you can try to work it in your favor or choose a different outlet.

The only thing I disagree with is the ugly/attractive ratio Cindi stated. I think the majority of people are vastly average looking with ugly and attractive being the two extremes. I think average people either let themselves look ugly by not caring how they present themselves, and average people can make themselves attractive by caring about how they look and actually working on it that produces real results. Your outliers are the people who were born naturally very attractive or very ugly.

Did I say she was ugly? I'm sure she's attractive. I'd probably find her attractive, in fact. But she probably isn't more than a 7 or 8, in all likelihood, yet she finds only 1 of the 25 hottest men attractive. In fact, she claims many of them are average. Sure, we can say there are plenty of other guys who should be on the list, but In what world are they average? All the women and all the men posted on the past 2 pages are very attractive. I'm just pointing out the women (not all women) often have almost impossible standards, regardless of how attractive they are. Is this innate or is it the result of intense media exposure where they can fixate on some dude they will never come across in real life?

Luckily I'm Michael Hall's doppleganger so any women who was obsessed with him finds me incredibly attractive.

rofl holy shit what the fuck am I reading

yea, those damn women are just too picky!

All I'm saying is there's something for you to work on. Tinder is not at fault. Being short is not at fault. How much effort do you put into being the best you?

KingV

Actually, I think online dating was pretty dope before people started getting digital cameras and smart phones. At best everyone had one slightly old, shittily scanned picture that didn't really tell you much.

So people had to put something meaningful in their profile, and you talked to people for like 2 weeks before meeting, because people didn't really text either, and it's weird to have a phone conversation with someone you never met.

I met some very cool chicks back then. Last time I was single, it was just a waste of time. Easier to just meet a chick in real life.

edit: also, people didn't really understand how to take pictures in a way that made you look better, so when you did see a picture it was actually representative.

Some of you girls are worse than Sean Murray with your pictures (maybe guys too).

This is only partly true. It is hella easy to get laid as a gay dude as long as you stick to your "league." You're almost never gonna see some fat dude with some beefcake. Your personality does not matter. Seeing a beauty imbalance in a relationship is way more common for straight couples.

There is a pretty well documented phenomena of the "boyfriend twin" in the gay world. I was hearing "be what you want to date" when I first started dipping my toes into the gay world.

The imbalance I most often see is that the woman is usually fatter than the guy, because men are less selective I guess. This has also been mostly my case as well, it would be nice to be with someone with the same fitness as me. So AnAnole is probably right. Only in TV you see the opposite.

As for gay couples, the few I know including the owners of the house i live could not be further apart from being twins. One is much older and heavier than the other one. It is a very diverse crowd

All I'm saying is there's something for you to work on. Tinder is not at fault. Being short is not at fault. How much effort do you put into being the best you?

This I actually agree on, everyone has room for improvement. If you can honestly look in the mirror and say this is the best you can be, then good on you. However, most people won’t say that because it’s not true. The thing about self-improvement is it takes hard work and dedication. People don’t like effort and would rather take the easier way out and blame their height or some other factor. You can’t change your height, so don’t worry about it and work on other things that’ll make you better.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
This is the harsh reality of an app like Tinder. The sooner you can accept it, the better you can try to work it in your favor or choose a different outlet.

The only thing I disagree with is the ugly/attractive ratio Cindi stated. I think the majority of people are vastly average looking with ugly and attractive being the two extremes. I think average people either let themselves look ugly by not caring how they present themselves, and average people can make themselves attractive by caring about how they look and actually working on it that produces real results. Your outliers are the people who were born naturally very attractive or very ugly.

Twin man... that's what she said. That's what she said.

Nope. I'm just obviously annoyed. Look, this is a competition. You need to compete. Tinder is highly based on looks. If you don't show up it won't work. This extends to life as well. Also i wouldn't talk to a woman like this because I don't know any women like this. You say you're short and ugly but apparently don't do anything to make you more palpable. Almost every woman I know, whether skinny or obese wants to look pretty. Nothing stops my obese friends from trying to still look good. Women try really hard to be attractive. We shave our arm pits, legs, and faces. We wear makeup. We have mani pedis, hair days, shopping days where we commonly buy the latest clothes even if knowing our flaws. You sit here knowing your flaws and mope about it instead of A. embracing it or B. Doing something about it. You can't do anything about your height, but you can def buy a copy of Starting Strength and start lifting weights.

Again. This is from OCD guys thread on what we do for beauty, this was my answer:

Tanning bed will fuck up your skin.

I wear makeup daily but it's mostly because it makes me feel good and I enjoy the artistic process and self expression aspects.

I wear push up bras on dates so my boyfriend can get a good look.

I wear spf facial moisturizer. I put sunscreen on my arms every day even if it's cloudy.

I exfoliate my body every two weeks.

I shave my arms and legs at least once a month.

I drink at least 2 liters of water a day for beautiful skin.

I have a tiny bottle of lotion in my purse so they when I wash my hands I have fresh lotion on them and they're not ashy.

I lift weights three days a week. My goal is to have the best looking thighs and butt. I get enough attention already by why I got but I want more. Not too much though. Leg day is a big day for me and I always fire up beforehand my glutes by doing monster walks with a band around my feet. Gets my butt burning.

I initially started Jiu Jitsu for the cardio because I hate treadmills and ellipitcals.

People are confused when I tell them I'm 30. They think I look 18. Black don't crack but I go extra to take care of my temple. I used to be overweight so now I make up for lost time. I do all this for mostly myself because I enjoy it. No one pressures me.

What are you doing to be the best you? No excuses.

Why in the world would any woman want a man who thinks he's ugly and doesn't try and most of us think we're ugly and break our backs to be seen as sexy to men? Why wouldn't we have at least a modicum of the same expectation for a man we date?

Nope. I'm just obviously annoyed. Look, this is a competition. You need to compete. Tinder is highly based on looks. If you don't show up it won't work. This extends to life as well. Also i wouldn't talk to a woman like this because I don't know any women like this. You say you're short and ugly but apparently don't do anything to make you more palpable. Almost every woman I know, whether skinny or obese wants to look pretty. Nothing stops my obese friends from trying to look to still good. Women try really hard to be attractive. We shave our a pits and legs and faces. We have mani pedis, hair days, shopping days where we commonly buy the latest clothes even if knowing our flaws. You sit here knowing your flaws and mope about it instead of A. embracing it or B. Doing something about it. You can't do anything about your height, but you can def buy a copy of Starting Strength and start lifting weights.

Again. This is from OCD guys thread on what we do for beauty, this was my answer:

Why in the world would any woman want a man who thinks he's ugly and doesn't try and most of us think we're ugly and break our backs to be seen as sexy to men? Why wouldn't we have at least a modicum of the same expectation thrust upon us?

Please note that I am not saying I expect someone to be attracted to me. But not every person can improve themselves to the extent that they can land a date, especially trough something like Tinder. I am short, balding and don't have a good facial structure. There isn't a huge amount of things that I can do, is there?

I try to keep my hair looking as good as it can, (I won't shave it off, I have done it before during the army, and people said my head looked terrible without hair) I wear the best clothing I can, of course I shower.. I also used to be in very good physical condition, now I am not as good. (but I'm not overweight, simply don't have the muscle mass anymore)

Anyway, my point is that I think I have already peaked as "the best I can be," I even tried to develop different personalities, but I have never even come close to landing a date. If you have been dealt certain attributes women don't like, then you are pretty much doomed to be alone in my experience.

Tanning bed will fuck up your skin.

I wear makeup daily but it's mostly because it makes me feel good and I enjoy the artistic process and self expression aspects.

I wear push up bras on dates so my boyfriend can get a good look.

I wear spf facial moisturizer. I put sunscreen on my arms every day even if it's cloudy.

I exfoliate my body every two weeks.

I shave my arms and legs at least once a month.

I drink at least 2 liters of water a day for beautiful skin.

I have a tiny bottle of lotion in my purse so they when I wash my hands I have fresh lotion on them and they're not ashy.

I lift weights three days a week. My goal is to have the best looking thighs and butt. I get enough attention already by why I got but I want more. Not too much though. Leg day is a big day for me and I always fire up beforehand my glutes by doing monster walks with a band around my feet. Gets my butt burning.

I initially started Jiu Jitsu for the cardio because I hate treadmills and ellipitcals.

People are confused when I tell them I'm 30. They think I look 18. Black don't crack but I go extra to take care of my temple. I used to be overweight so now I make up for lost time. I do all this for mostly myself because I enjoy it. No one pressures me.

The bolded are just basic hygiene that most men do, tho. I don't think the thread is aboukt total dirty slobs who have no business dating anyone. Is basic hygiene what you consider the best you have to offer?

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about to go hookup with this girl visiting NYC that I matched today. Wish me luck!~

The bolded are just basic hygiene that most men do, tho. I don't think the thread is aboukt total dirty slobs who have no business dating anyone. Is basic hygiene what you consider the best you have to offer?

It was a quote from an unrelated thread called How Far Do You Go For Beauty? Which you posted in as well. And no, I do more than basic hygiene. Also this is neogaf. Make no such assumption.

I think you missed my point, but I'm far too used to men trying to be smart asses with me in this thread.

Rembrandt

Banned
Please note that I am not saying I expect someone to be attracted to me. But not every person can improve themselves to the extent that they can land a date, especially trough something like Tinder. I am short, balding and don't have a good facial structure. There isn't a huge amount of things that I can do, is there?

I try to keep my hair looking as good as it can, (I won't shave it off, I have done it before during the army, and people said my head looked terrible without hair) I wear the best clothing I can, of course I shower.. I also used to be in very good physical condition, now I am not as good. (but I'm not overweight, simply don't have the muscle mass anymore)

Anyway, my point is that I think I have already peaked as "the best I can be," I even tried to develop different personalities, but I have never even come close to landing a date. If you have been dealt certain attributes women don't like, then you are pretty much doomed to be alone in my experience.

then tinder, an app specifically designed around first appearances, isn't for you. maybe OC or Match or any of the numerous dating services around that allow you to send a message without the girl approving you is up your alley. but tinder is around for a certain purpose. it's mainly designed around people matching up with people they find sexually attractive and then going from there. it doesn't put your personality out as much as you want in comparison to dating sites but tinder hasn't really advertised itself as a "dating" site.

whatever you think are your shortcomings can still be overcome, but on a different site or with more personal effort, etc. but it's not the site/app/women's fault that you're not getting what you want.

-snip-

I'll be honest: sometimes you and lightskintwin sound too into yourselves, but then I read stuff like this and can't help but nod my head in complete agreement. You are completely right.

As a guy, I'm completely used to putting hours of time into my appearance: clothes, facial hair, hair style, eyebrows, shape of my beard, coat or jacket, fashion, etc. etc. etc. just to go outside and be around other people, let alone interact with them, to the point that it's become almost subconscious and I don't even realize I'm putting those hours in anymore. And it's still nothing compared to what women have to put in. So in that way, I understand the value of that self-confidence.

That work just feels like a normal everyday part of life to me, so I'm not sure why people are so shocked that this is a thing and that you can put in the effort to look good. I'm not going to treat life like a competition, though, or tear others down to build myself up. I'm not going to take any shit and I'm going to respect myself and demand that others respect me as well IRL, but I want everyone to succeed, regardless of looks and other physical traits, as long as they're good people.

then tinder, an app specifically designed around first appearances, isn't for you.

whatever you think are your shortcomings can still be overcome, but on a different site or with more personal effort, etc. but it's not the site/app/women's fault that you're not getting what you want.

I don't even use Tinder for this reason, just saw the post and felt like replying to the effort suggestion with my experience.

I'll be honest: sometimes you and lightskintwin sound too into yourselves, but then I read stuff like this and can't help but nod my head in complete agreement. You are completely right.

As a guy, I'm completely used to putting hours of time into my appearance: clothes, facial hair, hair style, eyebrows, shape of my beard, coat or jacket, fashion, etc. etc. etc. just to go outside and be around other people, let alone interact with them, to the point that it's become almost subconscious and I don't even realize I'm putting those hours in anymore. And it's still nothing compared to what women have to put in. So in that way, I understand the value of that self-confidence.

That work just feels like a normal everyday part of life to me, so I'm not sure why people are so shocked that this is a thing and that you can put in the effort to look good. I'm not going to treat life like a competition, though, or tear others down to build myself up. I'm not going to take any shit and I'm going to respect myself and demand that others respect me as well IRL, but I want everyone to succeed, regardless of looks and other physical traits, as long as they're good people.

I'm honestly just annoyed people are shocked and disappointed they have to look good for an app like tinder and then blame it on some external factor and are shocked women aren't going for them when they blame their faults for external factors rather than fixing it. It's hard for me to respect it, let alone support it. It's a major pet peeve and I don't care if it makes me look like a bitch. I just hate it and I'm sorry if I've sounded like an asshole about it.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Nope. I'm just obviously annoyed. Look, this is a competition. You need to compete. Tinder is highly based on looks. If you don't show up it won't work. This extends to life as well. Also i wouldn't talk to a woman like this because I don't know any women like this. You say you're short and ugly but apparently don't do anything to make you more palpable. Almost every woman I know, whether skinny or obese wants to look pretty. Nothing stops my obese friends from trying to look to still good. Women try really hard to be attractive. We shave our a pits and legs and faces. We have mani pedis, hair days, shopping days where we commonly buy the latest clothes even if knowing our flaws. You sit here knowing your flaws and mope about it instead of A. embracing it or B. Doing something about it. You can't do anything about your height, but you can def buy a copy of Starting Strength and start lifting weights.

Why in the world would any woman want a man who thinks he's ugly and doesn't try and most of us think we're ugly and break our backs to be seen as sexy to men? Why wouldn't we have at least a modicum of the same expectation for a man we date?

I agree with this. Because during my life and on OKC I have seen some attractive 'bigger than average size' women. And I dont have a preference as long as its not too big. Too big as in Lifetime Network, A&E big.

Trying to go for the beauty first hasnt been working out so its time to look at character, personality more than looks, size, etc. For me anyway. I said earlier if a woman is into sports, especially football....thats a big plus in your favor.

I think my post about trying to date White women only now may have sparked the race debates. I should have said White women...also....

And not stopping there but just other races in general. Something about the definition of insanity.....

I'm honestly just annoyed people are shocked and disappointed they have to look good for an app like tinder and then blame it on some external factor and are shocked women aren't going for them when they blame their faults for external factors rather than fixing it. It's hard for me to respect it, let alone support it. It's a major pet peeve and I don't care if it makes me look like a bitch. I just hate it and I'm sorry if I've sounded like an asshole about it.

Nah, I get what you mean. I'm not saying that.

OKC is shit. It's full of a bunch of jackasses who pretend to be all progressive and shit but then answer yes to "is interracial marriage a bad idea?".

Yknow, normal internet two-faced bullshit where everyone says one thing but means/does another.

Two-faced OKC is right.

I met this woman two weeks ago for coffee and talked with her for 3 hours and she even asked extended it to dinner. We exchanged numbers at the end and it seemed like it went well.

I text her 32 hours and ask if she wants to hang out again. "I'd love to!" she says. Then when I try to nail down a date for a later weekend, I get no response. Messaged her again. No response. That was the end of that. I didn't press the issue and neither did she contact me in the past two weeks.

I've become tired of these woman and I'm worn out. A prior date stop talking to me because she realized I wasn't going to be her Sugar daddy.

Not

Banned
We're all taught to be racist

Not in schools, mostly, but literally everywhere else. The majority of these dating profiles make sense

Rembrandt

Banned
I don't even use Tinder for this reason, just saw the post and felt like replying to the effort suggestion with my experience.

i recommend other sites then. there are loads of dating sites/apps that aren't built around first appearances like tinder is.

there are other sites where a well written bio is as valuable as a good profile pic. like okcupid for instance. tinder doesn't lend itself to those that want to get to know a person before they see if they're attracted to them. it's all there at a quick swipe and those swipes are mainly based around personal appearance with personality being an afterthought. i mean, regardless of how cute you are, you still have to have a conversation to fuck a person. tinder leans towards personal appearance < personality and other sites are a better mix of the two.

and surprisingly, self-depreciating humor goes a long way on tinder. at least from what i've seen. i stick to simple shit.

i recommend other sites then. there are loads of dating sites/apps that aren't built around first appearances like tinder is.

Appearances have to come into play at some point. I feel like the reactions would be even more negative if I "mislead" the women into thinking they could find a potential date. As in the reaction would be akin to: "You knew no one would date you when you look like that, why waste both of our time!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom