• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tinder is destroying men’s self-esteem (New York Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I'm curious as to whom you find attractive, or not so attractive. What about Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Mads Mikkelsen or Viggo Mortensen?

Nikolaj-Coster-Waldau-CelebHealthy_com.jpg
-3-mads-mikkelsen-34718418-320-480.jpg
0013729c050d0928bc7221.jpg

Viggo is the most handsome man here but that's a bad pic of him and he's got lots of face fat. Either that, or his bone structure doesn't work for me. You can't make shape of his facial bone structure in the pic at all. Plus, despite recognizing he's handsome, I do not in any way find his face attractive.

Some more men I think are attractive.

TAYE DIGGS, TAYE DIGGS. TAYE DIGGS.TAYEDIGGSTAYEDIGGSTAYEDIGGS.

39fVZZX.jpg

D.B. Woodside is fine. Those cheekbones, eyes, and smile. Those lips. GAWD.

hRE08Tl.jpg

Tyrese. He told me he loved me. Gorgeous eyes and smile.

tniKkfP.jpg

Common.

1YYiv9o.jpg

Drake.

0As9Z8m.png

Prince.

z2e5jTC.jpg

I think 2Pac was really cute but too bad he was gay. I see you Phoenix Dark. Marvin Gaye was sexy. Off The Wall and Thriller era Michael Jackson was fine as fuck. Nas is so handsome and attractive. That's my GOAT.

You don't even have to be completely fit to hit all my buttons tbh. What a total daddy.

BRttA3E.jpg

Now it's 9:21 AM and I'm horny as fuck.

z4m18Cq.gif

Makai

Haha, can't stop laughing... this is so naive and wrong. Who wants a supermodel anyways? You do know that mostly gay men in the fashion industry have created the beauty trend of tall skinny and curveless women and androgynous men without body hair, don't you? And I don't see regular women wearing their stuff anyways. It's a paralell universe where middle aged people with failed plastic surgery meet asexual walking beauty products.

Most famous women considered attractive or sexy by the general public are not that tall.
Quite the opposite is true:a 6' woman with curves ala Kim on high heels will look intimidating even for a 6'5 guy. So don't try to be too mathematic about the topic.

An concerning men: I bet only a very few women would pass on guys like Kit Harington, younger Johnny Depp, Zayn Malik

And btw height won't stop tall men from being assholes, if anything the self-esteem men get from being conscious about their physical privileges will give them more options and thus they will more likely cheat on a woman.
By no means scientifically rigorous, but I just looked up some celebrities that came to mind and most of them are really tall.

Michelle Obama - 5'11"
Melania Trump - 5'11"
Ivanka Trump - 5'11
Nicole Kidman - 5'11
Taylor Swift - 5'10"
Jennifer Lawrence - 5'9"
Katy Perry - 5'8"
Rihanna - 5'8"
Beyonce - 5'8"
Emma Watson - 5'5"
Kim Kardashian - 5'3"

They are also out in bars and parks and concerts/shows. Dude is in NYC, there are cubic buttloads of places and activities to meet folks at.

I always find it easier on Tinder, because I can skip past the guessing game of "I'm taken/I'm gay/Not interested/I hate black men sorry/yea here's my number" that IRL has. Most people I match with Tinder want me, and I want them. A smooth process.

I cannot emphasize losing weight enough if you think you are "ugly".

Facial fat loss will take care of that.

I think most people who think they're "ugly" really just need to lose a bit of weight. Like I said, there's very few actual ugly people in the world.

What if were already a few ounces away from Skeletor face tho

I always find it easier on Tinder, because I can skip past the guessing game of "I'm taken/I'm gay/Not interested/I hate black men sorry/yea here's my number" that IRL has. Most people I match with Tinder want me, and I want them. A smooth process.

LOL @ I hate Black Men.

I honestly don't think it's that bad at all for Black Men. I do think there's a stigma attached due to preconceived notions of class and education; but if you can burst through that barrier and are decent looking and cool, intelligent with a decent paying job then you become pretty desirable to women of all races. At least in America IMO.

GatorBait

As someone who tends to get a lot of messages on the "looks-based" dating apps compared to a lot of guys, I can say those apps can still be tough on the self-esteem because it's such a roller coaster. One week I could end up with a date every day, whereas the next week I may get ignored, stood up, and ghosted.

Markoman

By no means scientifically rigorous, but I just looked up some celebrities that came to mind and most of them are really tall.

Michelle Obama - 5'11"
Melania Trump - 5'11"
Ivanka Trump - 5'11
Nicole Kidman - 5'11
Taylor Swift - 5'10"
Jennifer Lawrence - 5'9"
Katy Perry - 5'8"
Rihanna - 5'8"
Beyonce - 5'8"
Emma Watson - 5'5"
Kim Kardashian - 5'3"

:D
You've assembled a completely arbitrary list of 11 specimen with 3/11 cougars (=out of the game), of which one is a Botox victim. Then there's Taylor, who has a beautiful worked on face- but I have yet to meet a guy who's praising her sex appeal and physique. Michelle and Rihanna on one list? R U kidding me?

Going by all conversations I've had with guys over the years, every woman above 5'8" is considered tall. 5'6'-5'8" is pretty much the perfect size for women and this is also close to the above average ww value, unless Asian women who account for half of the world's population have grown significantly, I guess.

As someone who tends to get a lot of messages on the "looks-based" dating apps compared to a lot of guys, I can say those apps can still be tough on the self-esteem because it's such a roller coaster. One week I could end up with a date every day, whereas the next week I may get ignored, stood up, and ghosted.

Best post so far. That's exactly the problem: self-verification can turn into an obsession and addiction. You can bang 40 girls in a row , one bad day and you'll drop into the deepest hole.

Media

:D
You've assembled a completely arbitrary list of 11 specimen with 3/11 cougars (=out of the game), of which one is a Botox victim. Then there's Taylor, who has a beautiful worked on face- but I have yet to meet a guy who's praising her sex appeal and physique. Michelle and Rihanna on one list? R U kidding me?

Going by all conversations I've had with guys over the years, every woman above 5'8" is considered tall. 5'6'-5'8" is pretty much the perfect size for women and this is also close to the above average ww value, unless Asian women who account for half of the world's population have grown significantly, I guess.

I'll agree with the last part. I'm 5'9 and guys are always saying I'm tall, and I tend to be taller than most of my female friends.

Did she use the word Hate tho? Because if she did, then that's something deeper.

Yes! It was in Corpus Christi a few years ago. "Just so you know, I hate black guys so"

Like wow, I was just stunned at that comment and then walked away. Maybe she was looking for a white dude to settle down with, cuz she was blacker than the gums on Whoppi Goldberg. Wanted a lighter shade to balance out her kids, and light skin weren't cutting it.

Yes! It was in Corpus Christi a few years ago. "Just so you know, I hate black guys so"

Like wow, I was just stunned at that comment and then walked away. Maybe she was looking for a white dude to settle down with, cuz she was blacker than the gums on Whoppi Goldberg. Wanted a lighter shade to balance out her kids, and light skin weren't cutting it.

In my experience black women like this have had really bad experiences with black men, especially in a non romantic manner. I've known women who hate black men because they were dark skinned and their father made fun of them for it. Then there's the women who have been abused emotionally (and further) and now equate black men as scum of the Earth because they have been routinely disappointed and treated like shit. There's the rare exception when the girl just isn't attracted to black men and has always preferred other men. Rarer but still happens now and then. Since she's dark, I can only assume due to her attitude that black men have treated her poorly for it and she doesn't want to be in that situation ever again, so says no black men as a rule now.

To expand a bit, the first thing that would come to mind is that they have something to hide if they're using a filter of that sort. Is that always the case? Of course not, but it does cast some doubt.

Like, I hope you see the entire hypocrisy in this when you compare it to the OP, right? Shallow women judge men on looks then men complain about that then men complain women are trying to hide the fact they're ugly.

Tinder is interesting in that when I was in America I hardly got any matches but now I'm in Mexico City and I seem to be rolling in them..dunno maybe its the novelty of me being a black guy here, though I also did fairly well in Jamaica as well.

BlackJace

0TTA7a6.png

Wut? Exfoliating, drinking water, lifting weights and doing ju-jitsu are "basic hygiene"? o_O

No. Basic hygiene is brushing your teeth, showering daily, and brushing/combing your hair. That's about it.

Taking care of fitness and diet is also fundamental. At least not being a total slob. Exfoliating is more like advanced hygiene, I give you that

Taking care of fitness and diet is also fundamental. At least not being a total slob. Exfoliating is more like advanced hygiene, I give you that

What about make up? Do you paint your nails? How do you do hair care.

Also from that thread.

I sleep with a silk cap on to not mess up and break my hair. I also use a silk pillow case I sleep on so that moisture isn't absorbed from my hair when sleeping. If I travel and forgot my silk cap either i use a silk robe on my hair or sit in a chair and sleep with my head not touching anything. Usually I just bring my silk pillow, though. Just in case.

I wrap my hair every night to protect it from breakage. It takes 10 minutes to an hour depending on what style i'm doing and is a good opportunity to watch tv or post on GAF or something.

Most women go above and beyond what men do, while many still think they're ugly despite that. I have no sympathy for dude who complains he can't get a girlfriend cuz he's "short and ugly" when my friend Carly is 300 pounds and waiting for a goddamn breast reduction surgery and back surgery from her H cup while still trying to look her best. And she looks good too. No sympathy. Just sounds like excuses to me. My only interpretation of it is "Buster".

Ugly not even a good excuse. Lot of not particularly good lookin' people are in successful relationships right now.

You just shouldn't be on Tinder, thats all.

Make-up does not apply for men. That would backfire bad rather than help. Would you date a man that uses make-up every day?

EDIT: Yes, i don't do that much with my hair.

Most women go above and beyond what men do, while many still think they're ugly despite that. I have no sympathy for dude who complains he can't get a girlfriend cuz he's "short and ugly" when my friend Carly is 300 pounds and waiting for a goddamn breast reduction surgery and back surgery from her H cup while still trying to look her best. And she looks good too. No sympathy. Just sounds like excuses to me. My only interpretation of it is "Buster".

If she is 300 pounds she is definitely not trying to look her best. If a 300 pound guy asked me for advice that would be the very first thing I'd tell him to work on, not getting expensive and dangerous surgeries.

Could someone give me a quick run down of the directions this thread has gone since page 1? Would be fascinating to see

Men complain women judge them based on height and they get pats on the back from other men due to sympathy.

Men have high standards.

Men show they're just as or more shallow than women.

Men are allowed to have these standards for some reason.

It's what happens with every dating thread.

KingV

In all seriousness tho, if you have trouble with online dating, try going out more. You got hella thirsty guys sending messages to girls, so they got a lot to sift through and probably won't bother with most of them.

My buddy looks like a Mexican Ryan Gosling but stands around 5'7" to 5'9". He usually had no problems picking anyone up (when he was still single!) at a bar, and while he could find some success online, it was nowhere near what you expected he could get.

Expectations are just different online because they are afforded more options from thristy dudes who probably wouldn't have the balls to approach them in person in the first place.

I think this is what people are missing with the "just go work out" advice. Obviously, working out will make you do better on Tinder, but dressing well, being in shape, having a decent personality, etc, will improve your dating life everywhere. IMO, it will probably work even better in person than on Tinder. Tinder (online dating in general to some extent), is STILL the problem, even if there are ways to play that particular game better.

If you're on Tinder/Match/OKC/online in general, being short has is a negative that you have a limited number of tools to deal with, especially on Tinder. Similarly, if you're black, there's a whole host of negative stereotypes that you carry online and in-person just because of your skin color, but again, online, and again, especially on Tinder, you have a very limited number of ways to cut through them. I wouldn't really advise any guy to rely solely on Tinder or online dating to meet women, because frankly, you will just meet better, cooler, more well-adjusted women more easily in person. It's more intimidating, but it's also allows you to take advantage of all of your good qualities that might balance out the physical ones and typically has a higher success rate as a result.

Tinder just takes society's general over-focus on appearance, and amplifies it. And on Tinder, in particular, this effect is worse for men because of the dynamics of the app, presumably because the user base is heavily skewed towards men, and the high prevalence of "dead" or "bot" accounts on the service. It's interesting because usually this appearance "pressure" is more of a problem for women, and now it's becoming a problem for men too, but just in a different way.

Tinder is a problem because you get dudes that come into these topics and say "I will never ever get a girlfriend" and then they go on Tinder and this validates that belief. In reality, if you got those dudes into some sort of activities where they interact with women, they would eventually figure it out. On Tinder, they likely never will.

Make-up does not apply for men. That would backfire bad rather than help. Would you date a man that uses make-up every day?

If she is 300 pounds she is definitely not trying to look her best. If a 300 pound guy asked me for advice that would be the very first thing I'd tell him to work on, not getting expensive and dangerous surgeries.

....the point is, women go above and beyond to look good. Makeup is a part of that. I don't want a guy who wears makeup. The point is, the guys argument is "what can I do? I'm short and ugly" when I know a lot of women who think they're ugly and still put in work to look good. What's his excuse exactly? Why would any woman who want a guy who thinks he's ugly and has low self esteem when she thinks she's ugly and still tries to make the best of it? There just isn't any excuse. And if you don't do anything extra to make yourself more attractive while still moping about how you're oh so short and oh so ugly, you'll just look real lame to most girls. You look like a punk ass bitch from where I'm standing. You ain't shit. I'm not talking about you btw, I'm using the universal you. Even obese women put work into how they look.

Are you reading a single thing I'm saying? I'm not interested in men who wear makeup at all. My point is all about how much effort I and other women put into our looks. It would be perfectly reasonable to expect a man that we do put at least a tenth into himself that we do.

Since you're completely fucking tone deaf that's all I'll say on the matter.

harSon

Banned

It's pretty fucking easy IMO. I pull way more numbers and dates from Tinder then I would doing it the old fashion way, just based on the overall pool alone. Like I just got 5 numbers from the conversations I had last night and this morning. There's no way I'm doing anything close to that if I were to just hit up a bar or club. My game ain't anywhere close to being good enough to do that lmao

It's pretty fucking easy IMO. I pull way more numbers and dates from Tinder then I would doing it the old fashion way, just based on the overall pool alone. Like I just got 5 numbers from the conversations I had last night and this morning. There's no way I'm doing anything close to that if I were to just hit up a bar or club.

Yeah in America as I said above I was convinced Tinder wasn't for me, but here in Mexico City the amount of numbers I have collected and dates lined up so far is unreal considering I have only been here a few days and I filter out those that don't speak English.

I'll be honest. My Tinder game is alright for the pics I use, but I'm sure it'd be a lot better if I had more pics where I'm traveling or out in public. I just have a nice selfie, a pic of me as an actor in a movie, couple of shirtless pics, and a couple of my dog.

I've had more success on tinder than okc and pof. But I'm seeing a girl for the fifth time today and we met on okc. She's really amazing.

eot

Banned

Also from that thread.

I have female friends who spend a lot of time on their apperance, but I also have plenty who don't. Some don't even need to wash their hair and it looks great anyway. The expectations placed on women in terms of how much time they need to spend on their appearance varies quite a lot depending on where you live and where you spend your time. In my experience, if you're sleeping with a silk cap to protect your hair then you're on the far end of the spectrum and the women I know who spend that much time on their appearance do it because they enjoy the attention they get from looking that good.

I don't know you got the impression (this thread?) that men who don't take care of their appearance expect to get with the women who spend hours on it each day. There are plenty of women who don't though, who don't wear any makeup, who don't fix their hair every day, who don't paint their nails etc. (and that doesn't mean they look bad). I know I live in a place that is more accepting of that though.

....the point is, women go above and beyond to look good. Makeup is a part of that. I don't want a guy who wears makeup. The point is, the guys argument is "what can I do? I'm short and ugly" when I know a lot of women who think they're ugly and still put in work to look good. What's his excuse exactly? Why would any woman who want a guy who thinks he's ugly and has low self esteem when she thinks she's ugly and still tries to make the best of it? There just isn't any excuse. And if you don't do anything extra to make yourself more attractive while still moping about how you're oh so short and oh so ugly, you'll just look real lame to most girls.

Are you reading a single thing I'm saying? I'm not interested in men who wear makeup at all. My point is all about how much effort I and other women put into our looks. It would be perfectly reasonable to expect a man that we do put at least a tenth into himself that we do.

I get it now. But you are assuming that the men who have no luck on Tinder don't put effort on their appearance. I do and I'm not even that short, and I still have less success than many 300 pound women that do little effort. You are not wrong, though, it's just that your advice is tangential to the larger dynamics in dating that affect most men. A man could put as much effort on their appearance as you say and still get little out of it. But yeah, doesn't mean that they shouldn't, they should still take advantage of every little thing that can be improved.

I have female friends who spend a lot of time on their apperance, but I also have plenty who don't. Some don't even need to wash their hair and it looks great anyway. The expectations placed on women in terms of how much time they need to spend on their appearance varies quite a lot depending on where you live and where you spend your time. In my experience, if you're sleeping with a silk cap to protect your hair then you're on the far end of the spectrum and the women I know who spend that much time on their appearance do it because they enjoy the attention they get from looking that good.

I don't know you got the impression (this thread?) that men who don't take care of their appearance expect to get with the women who spend hours on it each day. There are plenty of women who don't though, who don't wear any makeup, who don't fix their hair every day, who don't paint their nails etc. (and that doesn't mean they look bad). I know I live in a place that is more accepting of that though.

I never said every woman puts on makeup and goes all out. But many do. A guy who says he's short and ugly complains he can't get matches on Tinder. From his language, there's no try in him attempting to look better. I have no idea what type of women he's swiping, but I do know if you have a low self esteem, Tinder isn't going to make up for that. To expect to be able to get a date with a pretty girl - again, I have no idea what kind of girls he's swiping - while also admitting that he's short and ugly, without putting anything into making him more attractive, just sounds like he thinks he's owed a girlfriend. Many men in this thread have blamed them not getting girlfriends on part of their looks, their height; their whatever. Many men routinely make excuses for why they're single while at the same time not taking the time to improve their chances. They often expect or want to get with a pretty girl, but don't put any of sort of effort into their presentation. And when it doesn't work out for them, they'll blame being short, or the fact they're "ugly", or in this case Tinder. Not all women aspire to look great. Many don't give a shit. But most do. Or at least, most of the ones you'll see on an app like Tinder. So to go on that app with the expectation to get a date when your self confidence is already low due to being "short" or "ugly" I can tell you right now it's not going to work, especially since most women are already self conscious of our looks and still try to look pretty, or at least presentable.

The main problem is when you complain but don't try. It's a total turn off and I can't think of a single woman who would suffer through it.

Men have high standards.
This is a fallacy, just look at who men have hooked up with at night club kicking out time. Or, no matter how unattractive a woman might be there's always some man that will be dating her. The reverse is not true. Many men will fuck anything if it's easy, if it requires additional effort then she better be up to a certain grade. Generally, men will settle for a middle of the road girl, the women that complain about men's standards are below the mid range andexpect men just to chase them becuse they are available deluding themselves that they are a higher standard than they really are.

None of this is true in any way.

PK Gaming

Men complain women judge them based on height and they get pats on the back from other men due to sympathy.

Men have high standards.

Men show they're just as or more shallow than women.

Men are allowed to have these standards for some reason.

It's what happens with every dating thread.

Also

>This thread turning into this weird, pseudo community thread where guys and girls talk about their preferences in a friendly, non-condescending way

Didn't expect this to happen

Markoman

Could someone give me a quick run down of the directions this thread has gone since page 1? Would be fascinating to see

Short version:

On topic....racism vs personal preferences...Cindi on fire...Dicks...On topic...Cindi on fire...in-depth discussion about skin color tones....linguistic discourse on the definition of "tall"...Cindi on fire....some stealth cock bragging...exchange of sex wisdoms...Definition of basic hygiene

Have I forgotten something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom