• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tinder is destroying men’s self-esteem (New York Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rembrandt

Banned
Appearances have to come into play at some point. I feel like the reactions would be even more negative if I "mislead" the women into thinking they could find a potential date. As in the reaction would be akin to: "You knew no one would date you when you look like that, why waste both of our time!"

all dating sites recommend a profile pic but very few are designed around your profile pic being your main focal point. oc has the extensive bio/about me, along with surveys. i recommend anyone that's putting their pics on a dating sites picks or takes the very best ones they can - on other sites, there's something beyond those pics that can make a person attractive.

looks are always gonna be important but other sites allow so much more of a personality to flourish than tinder does and that's also because of the things people are looking for on tinder.

my main point is just to not get discouraged if tinder isn't working out.

all dating sites recommend a profile pic but very few are designed around your profile pic being your main focal point. oc has the extensive bio/about me, along with surveys. i recommend anyone that's putting their pics on a dating sites picks or takes the very best ones they can - on other sites, there's something beyond those pics that can make a person attractive.

looks are always gonna be important but other sites allow so much more of a personality to flourish than tinder does and that's also because of the things people are looking for on tinder.

my main point is just to not get discouraged if tinder isn't working out.

Sure, but as I said I don't use Tinder, or any other dating site. The entire point I am trying to make is, not everyone is cut out to get a date, I tried many times, got shut down many times. And that was when I was at my best. So I have simply accepted the situation.

Sure, but as I said I don't use Tinder, or any other dating site. The entire point I am trying to make is, not everyone is cut out to get a date, I tried many times, got shut down many times. And that was when I was at my best. So I have simply accepted the situation.

Dude my 50 year old neighbor who's jobless, has a mullet, been smoking cigarettes since he was five, and is missing like two teeth has a GF.

Rembrandt

Banned

getting a date isn't impossible for most people. at least i think so which is probably naive of me. 'our best' is really subjective and is swayed by tons of factors on our side; not to say your best isn't actually your best but have you compared it to what others thought you could be?

you still have many years to find what you're looking for and you never know when it can come your way.

OKC is shit. It's full of a bunch of jackasses who pretend to be all progressive and shit but then answer yes to "is interracial marriage a bad idea?".

Yknow, normal internet two-faced bullshit where everyone says one thing but means/does another.

The article with their race study was the funniest thing I've ever read. They actually dare to claim the people on the site are younger and more progressive. That was right towards the end where their stats prove a huge racial bias on the site.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The bolded are just basic hygiene that most men do, tho. I don't think the thread is aboukt total dirty slobs who have no business dating anyone. Is basic hygiene what you consider the best you have to offer?
Wut? Exfoliating, drinking water, lifting weights and doing ju-jitsu are "basic hygiene"? o_O

No. Basic hygiene is brushing your teeth, showering daily, and brushing/combing your hair. That's about it.

getting a date isn't impossible for most people. at least i think so which is probably naive of me. 'our best' is really subjective and is swayed by tons of factors on our side; not to say your best isn't actually your best but have you compared it to what others thought you could be?

you still have many years to find what you're looking for and you never know when it can come your way.

I have heard that ever since I was 13 or so. So far, pretty much more of the same. (in terms of social life and dating)

Rembrandt

Banned
Wut? Exfoliating, drinking water, lifting weights and doing ju-jitsu are "basic hygiene"? o_O

No. Basic hygiene is brushing your teeth, showering daily, and brushing/combing your hair. That's about it.

lol, that was obvious bullshit. drinking water is probably the only one i would throw in there.

I have heard that ever since I was 13 or so. So far, pretty much more of the same. (in terms of social life and dating)

my heart goes out to you, but still no reason for giving up.

RM8

I'm not sure if I have it better or worse as a dude into dudes. The dating pool is exponentially smaller, but then things like age gaps seem like less of an issue (probably because of that). The thing is getting a honest, regular date is way more difficult than getting a hook up :(

Why does the girl's attractiveness matter in this case?

It always matters because the majority of people are shallow with stupid standards. It's why if you talk with people who "undatable" or "virgins for life" you will find they won't date people with sharp knees.

They do this to themselves.

Nothing is worse than those Snapchat dog filters. Just, why? It's like they're begging to get left-swiped.

Look at this shit:

CgDAooqWQAAic1K.jpg

People are using them on all sites/apps.

Krammy

Nothing is worse than those Snapchat dog filters. Just, why? It's like they're begging to get left-swiped.

Stumbled onto this thread, and this is the absolute truth. I don't know why every other person uses it, but it's the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Am I out of touch? No, it's the other people who are wrong.

Want to know what I see? A person who's bitter people are having fun.

You're not wrong. I just really don't get it. It seems super unattractive and makes me think of photos you look back on years later and wonder, "Why did I think this was a good idea".

I cannot emphasize losing weight enough if you think you are "ugly".

Facial fat loss will take care of that.

ALCq1Hw.png

ZEAVK2q.jpg

DYeIYGP.jpg

I think most people who think they're "ugly" really just need to lose a bit of weight. Like I said, there's very few actual ugly people in the world.

Rembrandt

Banned

Look at this shit:

People are using them on all sites/apps.

as weird as it sounds: it's actually kinda cute to me.

girl on the left in your pic could probably get it.

Want to know what I see? A person who's bitter people are having fun.

I'm not bitter, I just don't get why you would lower your chances of matching on something like Tinder by putting that up as your main (unless that's the purpose). I find it to be super off-putting and a little creepy. Let me be old and yell at my cloud!

as weird as it sounds: it's actually kinda cute to me.

girl on the left in your pic could probably get it.

Hey, not gonna judge. You do you. : p
yourealreadyfurry.jpg

I'm not bitter, I just don't get why you would lower your chances of matching on something like Tinder by putting that up as your main (unless that's the purpose). I find it to be super off-putting and a little creepy. Let me be old and yell at my cloud!
]

I wouldn't contact a profile with that picture for 2 reasons, 1st, there's more than one girl in the picture. Every time and for me it's 100% that the girl who's profile it is is the least attractive out of the group. 2nd, she's also hiding her face behind something, usually for a reason. Facebook angles, sunglasses and hats covering faces anything like that it's just not worth finding out they are not that attractive once your on a date. Also hints at insecurity, not a good bet for a confident relationship.

To expand a bit, the first thing that would come to mind is that they have something to hide if they're using a filter of that sort. Is that always the case? Of course not, but it does cast some doubt.

Edit:

I wouldn't contact a profile with that picture for 2 reasons, 1st, there's more than one girl in the picture. Every time and for me it's 100% that the girl who's profile it is is the least attractive out of the group. 2nd, she's also hiding her face behind something, usually for a reason. Facebook angles, sunglasses and hats covering faces anything like that it's just not worth finding out they are not that attractive once your on a date. Also hints at insecurity, not a good bet for a confident relationship.

Yeah, this is essentially what I was getting at just now.

Rembrandt

Banned
Hey, not gonna judge. You do you. : p
yourealreadyfurry.jpg

it's 2016, baby, i'm bringing fetishes to the mainstream culture.

To expand a bit, the first thing that would come to mind is that they have something to hide if they're using a filter of that sort. Is that always the case? Of course not, but it does cast some doubt.

only if they're taking pics from the neck up, lmao.

Rembrandt

Banned
Shit, everyone should have at least one full-body picture. Some of those headshots can be ... deceiving.

i fully agree. it's an unwritten rule that if the person you're interested in only has neck/head up selfies then they're probably fat and if every photo is with them and a friend then they're the ugly friend.

i fully agree. it's an unwritten rule that if the person you're interested in only has neck/head up selfies then they're probably fat and if every photo is with them and a friend then they're the ugly friend.

And if every picture is of them off in the distance rock climbing, skydiving, or fucking dabbing at the peak of Mount Everest in head-to-toe snow gear, it's like, can I just see your face? Okay, you've done all this shit, I don't care — I just want to know if I like your face. That's the superficial nature of these apps.

Rembrandt

Banned
And if every picture is of them off in the distance rock climbing, skydiving, or fucking dabbing at the peak of Mount Everest in head-to-toe snow gear, it's like, can I just see your face? Okay, you've done all this shit, I don't care — I just want to know if I like your face. That's the superficial nature of these apps.

lmao. we're all tryna find something that makes us look exciting without showing our true self. my tinder profile is me with my favorite puppy (which absolutely helps, lmao) and pics showing me. i can probably find other more spontaneous pics that make me seem more exciting but if that's not what they're gonna see usually then I rather let them see me au naturle

DrBo42

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT7GmCvNO3I&t=0m8s

KingV

lmao. we're all tryna find something that makes us look exciting without showing our true self. my tinder profile is me with my favorite puppy (which absolutely helps, lmao) and pics showing me. i can probably find other more spontaneous pics that make me seem more exciting but if that's not what they're gonna see usually then I rather let them see me au naturle

Just me surfing GAF on my phone in my underwear

GamerJM

Banned
Sure, but you said you don't care about your appearance. Most people who are date worthy care for their appearance, even if they're only Plan C. I'm not saying most people want to go to the gym four days a week to care for themselves or buy the latest clothes all the time but most people no matter the age range try to look presentable whether they're single or not. What you mean by not caring about appearances can mean a lot of things. For all I know it means you don't give a fuck about wearing that lame fucking Assassin's Creed hoodie. Or maybe you're not big on shaving, working out or wearing decent clothes. I don't know what you mean. You could mean you like looking like a slob. I dunno.

I know I'm late, but uh, all of the above really (except for not shaving....okay I hate my facial hair and wish I didn't have any though sometimes I let it grow just because I can't be bothered to care but other times I shave it, same with body hair except I don't have a lot and never shave what I do have). I also at least try to jog around sometimes so I'm not super overweight. Also don't wear an Assassin's Creed Hoodie but I do have some gaming/anime-related clothes (though most of it isn't, it's just generic Nike stuff). Overall I look like a slob though and wouldn't care if my partner did too.

Az987

all good things
Man, if you're a dude, sign up for every dating app there is.

Fuck it. Pof, tinder, and okc are really the only good ones though as far as free goes.

Never tried paid ones.

Currently dating someone I met on tinder, someone I met on okc and someone I met on pof.

Tinder was always garbage for me in the past. People just disappear all the time and I have no idea what to start with. I have another 100 matches I never messaged

Nielm

I never rate people in my head either. Those women you posted were beautiful, but thy don't work for me. I'm bi but have a stronger attraction to men. Female attraction comes and goes.

I just googled hottest guys in the world. Let's see what I think.

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/features/g4612/hottest-men-of-all-time/

"25 most beautiful guys of all time." Quite a claim.

Now I'm curious as to whom you find attractive, or not so attractive. What about Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Mads Mikkelsen or Viggo Mortensen?

Nikolaj-Coster-Waldau-CelebHealthy_com.jpg
-3-mads-mikkelsen-34718418-320-480.jpg
0013729c050d0928bc7221.jpg

The bolded are just basic hygiene that most men do, tho. I don't think the thread is aboukt total dirty slobs who have no business dating anyone. Is basic hygiene what you consider the best you have to offer?

"basic"

"most"

Yeah ok, which reality are you living in where most men use exfoliater, moisturiser, lift weights, and do jiu jitsu? lol

You have to agree that women do A LOT more than men in this department.

I'm honestly just annoyed people are shocked and disappointed they have to look good for an app like tinder and then blame it on some external factor and are shocked women aren't going for them when they blame their faults for external factors rather than fixing it. It's hard for me to respect it, let alone support it. It's a major pet peeve and I don't care if it makes me look like a bitch. I just hate it and I'm sorry if I've sounded like an asshole about it.

Think you've been totally fair. I mean, that's Tinder. It's not going to be sympathetic to anyone or sensitive to feelings. It just boils down to how you present. There are other dating apps that aren't so heavily focused on looks, so those having no luck on Tinder should try something else, be that working on themselves or trying another site.

kavanf1

One of the things it took me years to realise is that it's impossible to be all things to all people. You can't please everyone, not every woman is going to find you attractive. And that's ok. Better to accept that and realise that just because one (or two, or ten) women turn you down, doesn't mean you're universally repulsive. There will be plenty of women out there who do find you attractive.

Monocle

I never rate people in my head either. Those women you posted were beautiful, but thy don't work for me. I'm bi but have a stronger attraction to men. Female attraction comes and goes.

I just googled hottest guys in the world. Let's see what I think.

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/features/g4612/hottest-men-of-all-time/
That lady's taste is a damn mess, LMAO. Typical garbage "hottest guys in the world" list with a crapton of average looking actors along with a few straight-up head scratchers. Sad!

She is definitely on my top 10 list of people never to accept a strippergram from. She'd probably hire a local barber to shrug off his suspenders to the rhythm of Achy Breaky Heart.
Blech.

eot

Banned
I cannot emphasize losing weight enough if you think you are "ugly".

Facial fat loss will take care of that.

ALCq1Hw.png

ZEAVK2q.jpg

DYeIYGP.jpg

I think most people who think they're "ugly" really just need to lose a bit of weight. Like I said, there's very few actual ugly people in the world.

Hah, that almost makes me wish I were fat so I could hope of having a better face hidden under all that shit xD

Now I'm curious as to whom you find attractive, or not so attractive. What about Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Mads Mikkelsen or Viggo Mortensen?

Nikolaj-Coster-Waldau-CelebHealthy_com.jpg
-3-mads-mikkelsen-34718418-320-480.jpg
0013729c050d0928bc7221.jpg

Do you have a thing for danes?
That's a terrible picture of viggo btw

y2dvd

In all seriousness tho, if you have trouble with online dating, try going out more. You got hella thirsty guys sending messages to girls, so they got a lot to sift through and probably won't bother with most of them.

My buddy looks like a Mexican Ryan Gosling but stands around 5'7" to 5'9". He usually had no problems picking anyone up (when he was still single!) at a bar, and while he could find some success online, it was nowhere near what you expected he could get.

Expectations are just different online because they are afforded more options from thristy dudes who probably wouldn't have the balls to approach them in person in the first place.

Xun

Adding another image to my Tinder a while back did wonders for me.

If anything Tinder has helped my self-esteem, bizarrely.

Markoman

I am pretty sure height is universally considered attractive. It can't just be me or supermodels wouldn't be taller than half of you guys.

Haha, can't stop laughing... this is so naive and wrong. Who wants a supermodel anyways? You do know that mostly gay men in the fashion industry have created the beauty trend of tall skinny and curveless women and androgynous men without body hair, don't you? And I don't see regular women wearing their stuff anyways. It's a paralell universe where middle aged people with failed plastic surgery meet asexual walking beauty products.

Most famous women considered attractive or sexy by the general public are not that tall.
Quite the opposite is true:a 6' woman with curves ala Kim on high heels will look intimidating even for a 6'5 guy. So don't try to be too mathematic about the topic.

An concerning men: I bet only a very few women would pass on guys like Kit Harington, younger Johnny Depp, Zayn Malik

And btw height won't stop tall men from being assholes, if anything the self-esteem men get from being conscious about their physical privileges will give them more options and thus they will more likely cheat on a woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom