• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tinder is destroying men’s self-esteem (New York Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh yes "nice guys" are just victims of selfish women who take advantage of them...

That's what we're going with?

No, that's not where I'm going, but everybody plays a part. It's not a man or women thing, because it can go both ways. If you knowingly continue to accept favors, errands, gifts, vacations,etc... from somebody you know likes you more than just a friend and he or she's doing it because of it; and you don't, have no intention of ever being more than just friends then yes, you may not get all the blame, but you're playing a part in it.

No, that's not where I'm going, but everybody plays a part. It's not a man or women thing, because it can go both ways. If you knowingly continue to accept favors, errands, gifts, vacations,etc... from somebody you know likes you more than just a friend and he's doing it because of it, and you don't, have no intention of ever being more than just friends then yes, you may not get all the blame, but you're playing a part in it.

Not their responsibility.

In the context here especially the person was upfront

And lol at it's not a man/woman thing. Come on. Let's not pretend nice girl is a meaningful equivalent occurance.

The only woman I even talk to occasionally and never in person has told me on numerous occasions that we're never getting together.

Should I even be talking to women in the gym? They all seem like they have boyfriends.

Don't talk to women at the gym unless it's to be friendly. A lot of women are there to blow off steam and don't need it there but maybe go for the number if you see some chemistry. Be a gentleman and don't get in the way of her workouts unless you wanna be a spotter or something.

Mega

Banned
The only woman I even talk to occasionally and never in person has told me on numerous occasions that we're never getting together.

Should I even be talking to women in the gym? They all seem like they have boyfriends.

Not trying to be mean, but anyone else feel like this can't possibly be a real person?

Not their responsibility.

In the context here especially the person was upfront

Upfront means nothing. Smart people know they need to cut the relationship because now it's completely one way and unhealthy.

And lol at it's not a man/woman thing. Come on. Let's not pretend nice girl is a meaningful equivalent occurance.

It's not nice girl, the closest equivalent that's somewhat similar but different is good girl. Why do you think we have the phrase "good girl turned bad"?

mike6467

Everyone's at the gym for a different reason. It's basically meditation for me. I've made friends there, and clearly there's some people there trying to find a mate. You can never make that assumption though.

Yes that is caution, I'm not arguing about that and noone should, because it truly is horrifying what a lot of women go through. I'm talking thinking thought process of oh hey there's a guy of there, he's a guy thus he's a creepy rapist and such I will work under that assumption and act accordingly, until he someone manages to convince me that he's not a perve/borderline rapist even when he hasn't done anything to indicate either of those things. (This sort of thinking is how the cops get called on black people).

Not leaving yourself vulnerable to harm or harrasement is not the same as treating a gender like a their the dregs of society automatically. You lock your house not because you think everyone in your neighbourhood is a robber but because there is a chance someone is and thus you do not take the risk.

I don't expect anyone to not do it because it's frankly none of my business, but I will always air my grievances as such why of thinking because i honestly think nothing positive comes from it.

There's a reason why the court system works on the basis innocent untl proven guilty not guilty until proven innocent. Because proven innocence is a lot harder than proving guilt.

Where did I say if you're a man you're a creepy rapist? You are inserting yourself into my words and thinking I said things I didn't. It's a trust thing.

Not trying to be mean, but anyone else feel like this can't possibly be a real person?
No I am not the work of an enemy stand. JadedWriter just wants to live quietly with a nice woman that's into anime.
8c4.png

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Where did I say if you're a man you're a creepy rapist? You are inserting yourself into my words and thinking I said things I didn't. It's a trust thing.

I'm talking about the thought process of negative assumption until proven otherwise, it doesn't actually matter what I used within the arguement since I'm not you and have no idea what your assumed negative assumption is, I'm just discussing the flaws of assuming someone is fundamentally bad and working up based on your perception.

ascii42

You can only really know from experience, but what you should be working on is putting yourself out there getting those yes and no's. Rejection is part of relationship it should be something to be scorned get angry at or feared. Nothing ventured nothing gained. After you've fumbled a few of those yes's you'll learn what not to do, but you can get some general common sense advice to ease the process (None of the pick up guide bullshit though).

Yeah. I just wish I had been better about that when I actually met people. I've certainly worried that I missed my chances, but that's not a good attitude. Feels like everyone I know in my area is already married. I don't live in a particularly big area so it doesn't feel like there's much of "out there" to put myself.

I should give a legitimate stab at online dating. eHarmony's alright, but I tend to freeze up at the idea of actually direct messaging versus the pre-baked questions steps, and, well, never have. My worry is it's hard to read people when talking over text. People tell me I'm funny, but I know my humor isn't going to resonate with everyone. In person, I can try to see how people respond and adjust accordingly. But in person it tends to take me a while to be comfortable around someone. I'm usually quiet. But, like you said, nothing ventured nothing gained. The other thing I need to work past if I'm going to do online dating is being wary of long distance relationships. It's just tricky because I'm pretty well settled in where I'm at. I have a career and a house. I don't want to leave either. But eventually, one of us would have to leave where they are at. Going into it with the attitude that they've got to be the one to do so doesn't seem right.

Shredderi

Yes, money's a big factor.

Hmm. Any women here wanna chip in on this? Like if you feel yourself to be an independent and modern thinking woman then is a man being rich a game changer? Say you were somewhat interested in a man, like 7 interest points out of 10. Would this jump higher if you knew that the man in question is rich?

Why do I ask this? Am I rich? No, so this doesn't really pertain to me as an individual but it's something I've been thinking about because everyone (men) keeps saying how getting rich will solve all women troubles.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah. I just wish I had been better about that when I actually met people. I've certainly worried that I missed my chances, but that's not a good attitude. Feels like everyone I know in my area is already married. I don't live in a particularly big area so it doesn't feel like there's much of "out there" to put myself.

I should give a legitimate stab at online dating. eHarmony's alright, but I tend to freeze up at the idea of actually direct messaging versus the pre-baked questions steps, and, well, never have. My worry is it's hard to read people when talking over text. People tell me I'm funny, but I know my humor isn't going to resonate with everyone. In person, I can try to see how people respond and adjust accordingly. But, like you said, nothing ventured nothing gained. The other thing I need to work past if I'm going to do online dating is being wary of long distance relationships. It's just tricky because I'm pretty well settled in where I'm at. I have a career and a house. I don't want to leave either. But eventually, one of us would have to leave where they are at. Going into it with the attitude that they've got to be the one to do so doesn't seem right.
The main advantage of online dating isn't long distance, frankly barely anyone wants to just start up a long distance relationship, they are difficult enough by themselves. The advantage is finding and interacting with people within a reasonably local area that you normally otherwise wouldn't that's where the numbers advantage of online show's itself, there's all sorts of sites which you can use to find all sorts of people just need to patience to look and work on how to get meaningful conversations.

I'm talking about the thought process of negative assumption until proven otherwise, it doesn't actually matter what I used within the arguement since I'm not you and have no idea what your assumed negative assumption is, I'm just discussing the flaws of assuming someone is fundamentally bad and working up based on your perception.

It's not a negative assumption. It's pure caution. I have no idea what he's going to do? Am I supposed to think he's a great guy without any receipts? I'm not going to think he's an asshole either because that's a judgement and I don't know him. But making sure he's not a danger is survival 101. Caution is needed and caution overwhelmingly puts a "negative" light by default, so what am I and other women supposed to do?

kavanf1

Hmm. Any women here wanna chip in on this? Like if you feel yourself to be an independent and modern thinking woman then is a man being rich a game changer? Say you were somewhat interested in a man, like 7 interest points out of 10. Would this jump higher if you knew that the man in question is rich?

Why do I ask this? Am I rich? No, so this doesn't really pertain to me as an individual but it's something I've been thinking about because everyone (men) keeps saying how getting rich will solve all women troubles.

Money can't buy you love, but it can buy you stability, and nice experiences, and material goods that allow you to live in comfort. I think regardless of gender, most people would prefer their partner to be wealthy. Like so much else that has been discussed in this thread, the key thing is whether or not this preference makes it into their Tinder bio...

The nice guy cry is really a guy thinking he is being nice going for a girl that is not worth his time (and a lot of the time not worth it for the girl too).

Tried it plenty of times, then learned what I did not want in a girl, then the right one magically appeared (oh yeah I stopped looking at the incompatible ones). We've been married going on 13 years, and I can honestly say she is my best friend.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's not a negative assumption. It's pure caution. I have no idea what he's going to do? Am I supposed to think he's a great guy without any receipts? I'm not going to think he's an asshole either because that's a judgement and I don't know him. But making sure he's not a danger is survival 101. Caution is needed and caution overwhelmingly puts a "negative" light by default, so what am I and other women supposed to do?
If that's it then it's honestly fine and i wasted my time and yours. Just when i read your phrase of most men are such and such and thus I assume all men are and work back, it lead me to stated issue that are needlessly stated at this point. Either way your points are sound and correct.

The nice guy cry is really a guy thinking he is being nice going for a girl that is not worth his time (and a lot of the time not worth it for the girl too).

Tried it plenty of times, then learned what I did not want in a girl, then the right one magically appeared (oh yeah I stopped looking at the incompatible ones). We've been married going on 13 years, and I can honestly say she is my best friend.

IMO Part of that nice guy cry comes from guys hollering at women out of their league.

ascii42

The main advantage of online dating isn't long distance, frankly barely anyone wants to just start up a long distance relationship, they are difficult enough by themselves. The advantage is finding and interacting with people within a reasonably local area that you normally otherwise wouldn't that's where the numbers advantage of online show's itself, there's all sorts of sites which you can use to find all sorts of people just need to patience to look and work on how to get meaningful conversations.

Yeah, that was my hope. I'd have to look again, but it seems like the overwhelming majority of matches weren't in my area. I live in a city of only around 70,000 people. But factor in nearby cities/towns as well and there's probably more like 300,000 people. If I resub I'll filter through and see who I may have overlooked.

I live in the South so maybe I should just start going to church :p I'm not anti-religion at all, just not a church-goer. I did look into Habitat for Humanity a little while back as a good way to learn some useful skills and meet people who aren't coworkers, but they weren't in the construction process on any houses at the time. I should look into that again.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah, that was my hope. I'd have to look again, but it seems like the overwhelming majority of matches weren't in my area. I live in a city of only around 70,000 people. But factory in nearby cities/towns as well and there's probably more like 300,000 people. If I resub I'll filter through and see who I may have overlooked.

I live in the South so maybe I should just start going to church :p I'm not anti-religion at all, just not a church-goer.

Start with the biggest sites but don't assume everyone that is into online dating is there, Also I'd try interacting with people further away and less likely for someone to happen intially. Typical consersation starters are generic as hell because everyone uses them and are thus unattractive unless your that good looking, it may take a few tries how to properly get yourself out there and maintain a meaningful conservation and you don't want to test that out on the few people that live close by (e.g the people most likely for anything anything to actually happen with). Church is how christians hook up, but keep in mind what your getting into with that especially if your not religious.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hmm. Any women here wanna chip in on this?

Money has never been a factor for me whatsoever (I pay for my own shit, always have), and men who keep insisting it is seems to be using it as a pretext, tbh. Of course, being very poor/unemployed/in financial trouble could be a factor working against you (can't afford to do any cool activities, for instance, and might be worrying if looking for a long-term relationship), but that's different, and it goes both ways, not just for one gender.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Money isn't a sole factor? Someone best go tell Chris Brown, he gives out bad dating advice. :D

You mean Chris "beat her down" brown is giving out bad advice. You don't say. I mean he's not entirely wrong for some women or people in general, but it's hardly some common rule.

Shredderi

Money can't buy you love, but it can buy you stability, and nice experiences, and material goods that allow you to live in comfort. I think regardless of gender, most people would prefer their partner to be wealthy. Like so much else that has been discussed in this thread, the key thing is whether or not this preference makes it into their Tinder bio...

I do get that, I mean the thought process behind that is super old and logical. I just felt it was a really conservative thing that would lose it's relevance when we as a society move forwards towards a more progressive zeitgeist. But this thinking may be a fallacy of me projecting myself. I myself would feel a bit uncomfortable enjoying a significantly more luxurous life all of a sudden because my partner paid for it. I absolutely do not mean in a "man bring food home" way. I would feel the same if my partnet was a man. I don't mind if my GF is taller than me or makes more money than me, but something about my partner being downright rich makes me a bit uncomfortable and as I'm typing this I realize that this feeling propably tells more about me than anything else.

Money has never been a factor for me whatsoever (I pay for my own shit, always have), and men who keep insisting it is seems to be using it as a pretext, tbh. Of course, being very poor/unemployed/in financial trouble could be a factor working against you (can't afford to do any cool activities, for instance, and might be worrying if looking for a long-term relationship), but that's different, and it goes both ways, not just for one gender.

Money helps but isn't the sole factor. Would rather be with a poor guy who has goals and a dream than a rich cum stain.

Thanks for the answers.

ascii42

Typical consersation starters are generic as hell because everyone uses them and are thus unattractive unless your that good looking.

Yeah, I don't like starting conversations out of the blue. Just seems, as you said, generic as hell. Much better when I've got a specific subject to work with. Like a couple weeks ago, I went to a concert crawl. One of the acts had a woman who played the string bass. I used to play violin (and cello for a very short time) when I was growing up. But I've retained an interest in musical instruments, and I've always like the string bass, and after the concert, I went up to her and said as much and we had a short conversation. The moral is to apply that to online dating. People often say to look at their interests on their profiles and try to open a conversation about that, and I should try that.

Anyway, thanks for the discussion/advice. If nothing else, I think it's been good for my attitude.
I do get that, I mean the thought process behind that is super old and logical. I just felt it was a really conservative thing that would lose it's relevance when we as a society move forwards towards a more progressive zeitgeist. But this thinking may be a fallacy of me projecting myself. I myself would feel a bit uncomfortable enjoying a significantly more luxurous life all of a sudden because my partner paid for it. I absolutely do not mean in a "man bring food home" way. I would feel the same if my partnet was a man. I don't mind if my GF is taller than me or makes more money than me, but something about my partner being downright rich makes me a bit uncomfortable and as I'm typing this I realize that this feeling propably tells more about me than anything else.

Yeah, I was talking with a coworker about this recently. She and her husband make around the same amount, and she's glad. That way there's no imbalance regarding expectations on spending or doing chores around the house. They work similar hours and earn about the same amount, so they figure their household responsibilities should be about equal as well. And fortunately for them they are both similarly frugal. If she earned a lot less or was a stay at home mom, she'd be more worried about whether she was doing enough, or too much at home, how much she could spend on herself, etc. Same if her husband earned a lot less.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah, I don't like starting conversations out of the blue. Just seems, as you said, generic as hell. Much better when I've got a specific subject to work with. Like a couple weeks ago, I went to a concert crawl. One of the acts had a woman who played the string bass. I used to play violin (and cello for a very short time) when I was growing up. But I've retained an interest in musical instruments, and I've always like the string bass, and after the concert, I went up to her and said as much and we had a short conversation. The moral is to apply that to online dating. People often say to look at their interests on their profiles and try to open a conversation about that, and I should try that.

Anyway, thanks for the discussion/advice. If nothing else, I think it's been good for my attitude.

I'm glad you found it useful, hope things work out.

Aight, this is an awesome post and I agree with most of it but don't you think the guys who think they're some kind of king in real life are also doing pretty damn well on tinder? From what I can see, the guys who fail on tinder and complain on forums like this are the dudes who already have low self-esteem and who went in thinking the reach of online dating would perhaps make things easier for 'em. Of course, what they found was that online dating just amplified their problems tenfold, which is why they're complaining. And, contrary to what some think, a lot of these dudes do put in effort but it just might not be enough. So I do agree that online dating creates a safer and more equal environment for women to reject men but it isn't really corrective of men's self esteem. Dudes with high self-esteem continue to do well and guys with low self-esteem just get what remains further destroyed. So all the comments making light of men's failures or even celebrating it just seem kind of... mean. Their problems aren't anything compared to what most women face but they're still problems. Problems shouldn't have to compete with other problems.

Fair point!

Those guys who think they're kings might do well on tinder and they might not. In my experience though, that behavior is usually a result of poor socialization with women and doesn't really result in women wanting to be with them because it's try hard. If a guy is try hard in real life, he's undoubtedly a try hard online. I can imagine a guy like that sending a message on tinder asking for nudes or sending a dick pic right out the gate. He might get a bite now and then, but I doubt they're as successful as you think, and Tinder will show them the reality of the situation.

jasonng

This thread is plowing through every issue that insecure guys are going through in the dating world. It is absolutely fascinating.

Learn how to dance so you can grind on random people at a party/club/bar which naturally leads to a brief conversation where you get her name and number. LOL

Shredderi

Yeah, I was talking with a coworker about this recently. She and her husband make around the same amount, and she's glad. That way there's no imbalance regarding expectations on spending or doing chores around the house. They work similar hours and earn about the same amount, so they figure their household responsibilities should be about equal as well. And fortunately for them they are both similarly frugal. If she earned a lot less or was a stay at home mom, she'd be more worried about whether she was doing enough, or too much at home, how much she could spend on herself, etc. Same if her husband earned a lot less.

Yeah this is the kind of stuff I was thinking about as well.

I thought Tinder was designed as a way to meet up and fuck. I don't think it was made to make someone feel good when they swipe left.

No one cares if you swipe left or not, but when you say you feel good about doing it, it just feels wrong. It's great that you get your power back, though. I'm sorry about your experiences. I'm sorry that you have to feel scared to say no to some guys. I wish it could be better for women out there. I hope that it will be better.

I'm not assigning anything to you. I'm just letting you know that one type objectification is more acidic than the other.

Tinder is not only designed for meeting and fucking it's also designed around the idea of physical attraction and making you feel good. If you don't think Tinder isn't designed around making you feel good (getting a like, or the mere existence of super likes, maxing likes in a day). Tinder has made hooking up so easy, and because it's so easy you need a hook. The hook is the ego boost that the app itself gives that makes hooking up so easy. Otherwise people wouldn't use it. I don't think you have properly thought out what meeting and fucking does. Do you think people are going to feel like it's a neutral thing? No. Pyschogically, people who use Tinder as it's designed will come away with a positive experience informed by the positive feelings they gain for using the app. Tinder is *the* ego boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom