• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan submarine for Titanic tourism - Nightmare fuel

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
People climb Mt Everest. People go SkyDiving. People fly in wingsuits. Bungie jumping, free climbing, etc. Hell, people go to the fucking moon.

jim carrey disbelief GIF

One of the people on board was a legit explorer, RIP:

“Harding is a billionaire adventurer who holds three Guinness World Records, including the longest duration at full ocean depth by a crewed vessel. In March 2021, he and ocean explorer Victor Vescovo dived to the lowest depth of the Mariana Trench. In June 2022, he went into space on Blue Origin's New Shepard rocket.”

They're not finding remains I don't think
If it hasn't imploded and they find the capsule then there will be remains.

If it has imploded then there will be nothing. Depends how far they go down of course. A human body would turn into soup under the pressure.

If you don't know what water pressure can do then just have a look on YouTube. The only good thing about dying that way is that it would be instant and painless.

Rush2112

Banned

“Harding is a billionaire adventurer who holds three Guinness World Records, including the longest duration at full ocean depth by a crewed vessel. In March 2021, he and ocean explorer Victor Vescovo dived to the lowest depth of the Mariana Trench. In June 2022, he went into space on Blue Origin's New Shepard rocket.”
Now hes going to explore the edges of afterlife.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Imagine controlling a deep diving submarine with a fucking gaming controller.. the same fucking controllers We COMPLAIN about, because of the varying degrees and timing that stick drift can occur... This was poorly conceived, but with good intentions, I suppose?

MrMephistoX

Imagine controlling a deep diving submarine with a fucking gaming controller.. the same fucking controllers We COMPLAIN about, because of the varying degrees and timing that stick drift can occur... This was poorly conceived, but with good intentions, I suppose?
Not only a game controller but a shitty Logitech controller at that: at 250k a trip they could have at least splurged on an Xbox game pad if they wanted maximum PC compatibility let alone an elite: oh yeah and no fucking toilet would make it a deal breaker for me if they aren’t dead already they probably are wishing for it about now. I feel bad for them especially the kid but I’ve got a dark sense of humor.

SiteSeer

also the vessel is made of carbon fiber with only titanium end caps. cf is glorified plastic. seriously wtf.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
also the vessel is made of carbon fiber with only titanium end caps. cf is glorified plastic. seriously wtf.

Yeah, I didn't get into that. I've seen how U.S Navy Subs are more or less built and the materials and engineering involved are NASA-like, with what Science they need to apply to make this thing function at the depths it needs to. It's hard to imagine that there are huge subs that house many sailors, a sizeable mess hall, bathrooms and showers and living spaces. Real subs are engineering marvels and I am taken back by how much goes into them.

Cyberpunkd

Yup, they are all dead. Most likely water breached the hull and the pressure crushed them instantly. The only benefit being it went down so fast their brains didn’t even register it before it was over.

ssringo

Interesting.

So, someone may still be alive.
That's nuts if what they're hearing is life on the sub. Would also set the stage for either an incredible rescue...or one of the the worst deaths imaginable. Even if they're still alive they have to locate the sub and bring the equipment to rescue them to the appropriate site and then actually do the rescuing. There's still about 40 hours of supposed life support but actually much less time to potentially save anyone.

FeralEcho

Th
They were talking about a tow on the news. trying to get a cable down there at what 4000m ? Doesn't seems likely.

I think if they are alive, then time like you say is their biggest threat because they dont have very much.

Fucking idiotic idea if you ask me. How are these people so rich but so stupid at the same time?
Most rich individuals are dumb as bricks.These morons deserve their fate,anyone with half a functioning brain can see from just looking at this thing that It is shoddy work,not something you gamble your life în but alas they did.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Carbon fiber is immensely powerful.
I used to work at a company that made pressure bottles covered in it. The carbon fiber enhanced its pressurized stability several times over.
However, the material is not impact resistant. Any impact will likely lead to delaminations and/or broken fibers.

Alx

French guy in the sub is on the record saying he didn’t trust its conception but he couldn’t pass the opportunity since he was a Titanic expert (and former member of French Navy).
If they got stuck with time to realize what was happening, he must have had the biggest « I knew it / told you so » moment.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

Huh? Dudes a tourist.

cormack12

Gold Member
Hopefully this has a happy ending. Noises are a good sign but we still don't know the state of the crew. Someone could have had cardiac events, might be dehydration etc. So let's hope they manage to get an unmanned ROV that can bring it to the top

Go_Ly_Dow

Posted at 7:167:16

'Banging sounds' heard in 30-minute intervals - US media​

Shortly after midnight local time in Newfoundland, Canada, the first reports emerged of potential signs of hope.
Two US media outlets reported a leaked internal memo sent to the US Deparment of Homeland Security.
This said a Canadian aircraft had detected underwater "banging sounds" in 30-minute intervals coming from the search area.
"The P8 [seacraft] heard banging sounds in the area every 30 minutes. Four hours later additional sonar was deployed and banging was still heard," Rolling Stone magazine reported the email as saying.
CNN also reported an internal update sent Tuesday night, which suggested more sounds were picked up.
“Additional acoustic feedback was heard and will assist in vectoring surface assets and also indicating continued hope of survivors,” said the second memo according to CNN's report.
An hour after the media reports, the US Coast Guard confirmed that a Canadian search aircraft had picked up "underwater noises".

Well, so they found some noises. So there a chance it intact. But even so, do we have anything to hook it up that deep and pull it up? In like what? Next 24hr they have left

Blade2.0

Yup then ask yourself how a billionaire (which I'm going to assume is a smart person since they're that rich) payed that much money to get into a literal steel coffin that's bolted them inside, has no distress beacon or any backup plan of any sort if something were to go wrong and steered with an Xbox controller.

Fuck me, that Xbox controller bit always gets me. How, just how are you putting your life in the hands of a vessel controlled by a videogame pad.

That thing imploded for sure. It would have been a quick death but the people that need to recover that thing (if its found) are going to need some intense counselling. What is it the size of a mini van with the remains of 5 people in there. Fuck.
Don't do that.

They knew what they were doing and what the risks were, why waste taxpayers' money on the rescue when chances that they are alive are so slim.
Yeah, the market should take care of this, if value is seen in deep sea rescue it will happen. If not then the invisible hand has spoken.

HoodWinked

makes me remember the Kursk submarine disaster. It's weird because back when Russia relations wasn't so heated, the US offered to help but Russia defused all help. It sort of didn't matter since the crew died almost immediately.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Imagine paying 250k to die in one of the worst ways imaginable.

That said, this isn't the worst Darwin Award contender I've heard this month. That kid that jumped off a party boat into shark infested waters is going into the annals of Darwin Award history.
Why worst imaginable? Arent they going to die from carbondioxid poisoning? Basically falling to sleep in a painless matter?

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Banging sound?

Oh shit, they’re in the worst case scenario

There’s no way to rescue them by the time oxygen runs out, unless they trimmed the crew

Edit, it stopped yesterday, in the previous version of the article they mentioned this :
« A DHS official told Rolling Stone, that as of 5 hours ago the Titan still had 40 hours of oxygen left and stated that the “situation looks bleak,” adding that they believe the banging was coming from the craft, but that haven’t heard any noise since yesterday. »

They updated the article later. For families? Wrong info?

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Now imagine with all that he still didn't do basic checks to make sure the tin can he is getting himself into is secure.

kuncol02

Banned
Why worst imaginable? Arent they going to die from carbondioxid poisoning? Basically falling to sleep in a painless matter?
After days of being locked in tin can few kilometers under surface of ocean. Did you saw how little space there is inside of that "submarine" ? Being immediately squished in implosion is mercy in comparison.

Cyberpunkd

More help is arriving I hope they get them out.
They cannot. It’s bolted from the outside, you cannot transfer the passengers to other vessel + there is almost no ship capable of getting to these depths. Media going for drama and ‘rescue’, there will be none.

Dr. Suchong

Gold Member
This isn't going to end well, is it?
Blows my mind why anyone would willingly hand over shit tonnes of money to do this.
Terrifying.

Top Bottom