• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan submarine for Titanic tourism - Nightmare fuel

Melon Husk

I don't have claustrophobia... but that video did give me claustrophobic vibes. 5 people in that little tube? There's barely enough room for 2.
People climb Mt Everest. People go SkyDiving. People fly in wingsuits. Bungie jumping, free climbing, etc. Hell, people go to the fucking moon. This is just another dangerous thing people do. Its no different than any of those. And yet, no one laughs when someone dies while free climbing.

Do you know just how majestic it would be to travel to this part of the ocean, and see something as majestic as the got damn Titanic?

I blame no one for going. If you have the money, thats what the shit is for.
I would argue that a trip to the Moon would be safer.

Why would the crew make noise every 30 minutes? Doesn't make sense.
Can't use radiowaves or GPS to make contact. The best way is acoustically so banging the shit out of the sub to make sound waves. Every half hour you bang for 3 minutes. It's just a way of making it distinguishable from the noises of the ocean. If you're picking up a sound signal that lasts 3 minutes and you hear it every 30 minutes then you know it's people banging. It's kinda like an SOS signal but you're not flashing a light or sending up smoke signals.

I don't have claustrophobia... but that video did give me claustrophobic vibes. 5 people in that little tube? There's barely enough room for 2.

I feel the same way. I’d go to the moon before I ever stepped into a jerry rigged submarine made by a billionaire with absolutely no common sense and a severe lack of critical thinking skills.

Only way I'd go on a dive to see the Titanic is if James Cameron came with me.

Fuck going down in a rust bucket held together by sticky tape and prayers. If you want to explore extreme environments then make sure you're doing it right. This is like firing yourself into space when the rocket is basically a bunch of bean tins glued together.

Last edited by a moderator:

jason10mm

Gold Member
If they can bang then you'd think they would be using Morse code. S-O-S exists for a reason.

I'm kinda shocked that there isn't a tethered drone to follow the submersible. Guess precise tracking and control down there is harder than it seems.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
They cannot. It’s bolted from the outside, you cannot transfer the passengers to other vessel + there is almost no ship capable of getting to these depths. Media going for drama and ‘rescue’, there will be none.
Shit. So they will be bringing them up and if they run out of air and anything that they try to replenish air etc. Would/could cause the sub to implode ??!? Fucking hell. That’s beyond fucked.

I read this sub takes 2.5 hours to descend to the titanic this is going to have to be so precise etc for any chance for a rescue.

Last edited:

ThisIsMyDog

Shit. So they will be bringing them up and if they run out of air and anything that they try to replenish air etc. Would/could cause the sub to implode ??!? Fucking hell. That’s beyond fucked.
No, IF they could bring them back to surface then they can just open the sub and save them.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
No, IF they could bring them back to surface then they can just open the sub and save them.
The sub is airtight and watertight. So they going to either drill in to let in air or risk opening in the ocean to let some air in or have to be quick enough to hoist I to a rescue ship.
Other wise they could make it to the surface and still suffocate because no air is getting in?

So there is not emergency hatch and that door is the only way in ?!?

Who the fuck designed this thing?

Last edited:

DosGamer

Woke up to hear that they have been hearing a banging every 30 minutes. Wondering if they can zero in and determine where its coming from?
Another poster had it spot on, if it were actually them... why not do SOS instead? Why every 30 minutes? Why not every 15? This whole ordeal is so anxiety provoking... I cant imagine what they are going through on the sub if still alive.
My wife was saying this morning that in order for her to even think about being on a sub like that, they would have to have drugs to sedate her on board in the event something like this happened.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Can't use radiowaves or GPS to make contact. The best way is acoustically so banging the shit out of the sub to make sound waves. Every half hour you bang for 3 minutes. It's just a way of making it distinguishable from the noises of the ocean. If you're picking up a sound signal that lasts 3 minutes and you hear it every 30 minutes then you know it's people banging. It's kinda like an SOS signal but you're not flashing a light or sending up smoke signals.

Why not bang more than once every 30 mins? This helps with triangulation.

I wouldn't hold my breath for the bangs being anything honestly. They had the same happen for the USS Thresher, while the later analysis of the ship indicated that it had been destroyed almost instantly as it imploded. Same for the Malaysian plane crash, they detected sounds but ultimately they realized they were the source of it.

NickFire

The sub is airtight and watertight. So they going to either drill in to let in air or risk opening in the ocean to let some air in or have to be quick enough to hoist I to a rescue ship.
Other wise they could make it to the surface and still suffocate because no air is getting in?

So there is not emergency hatch and that door is the only way in ?!?

Who the fuck designed this thing?
I’m no engineer, but the pressure it needs to withstand is insane. An emergency hatch would need a perfect and extremely strong seal to avoid the whole thing imploding. Might not be feasible with those depths.

Kacho

Gold Member
This is up there with John Jones getting stuck upside down in the Nutty Putty Cave. Horrible way to go.

They still haven’t found them and even if they did any potential rescue effort would take days. RIP.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

I read this sub takes 2.5 hours to descend to the titanic this is going to have to be so precise etc for any chance for a rescue.
As far as I can tell, and I am no expert, but the difficulties are that so few things can get down there, that even if there was some kind of submersible that could attach a tether to the sub (is there somewhere to attach it?) Is it anywhere nearby? Do they have a ship with a 5km tether that's suitable nearby too?

Even if all those things aligned, they don't know where the sub is.

Last edited:

phaedrus

The only manned submersible that could reach the missing Titan is owned by Steam’s Gabe Newell​

5EvOIsN.gif

Thaedolus

Safety tip: if you're survival depends entirely on a component, that component should be verified to have less than a one in a million failure rate, and/or have multiple redundancies. Hydraulic systems on planes, for example, are typically triple redundant, because if you can't control the plane, people die.

I wonder how many spare Logi controllers they had aboard.

ThisIsMyDog

Safety tip: if you're survival depends entirely on a component, that component should be verified to have less than a one in a million failure rate, and/or have multiple redundancies. Hydraulic systems on planes, for example, are typically triple redundant, because if you can't control the plane, people die.

I wonder how many spare Logi controllers they had aboard.
I can bet that this pad was the most reliable part of this sub.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Statistic wise a trip to the moon is way safer than a 5 min trip with your car most probably.

Cyberpunkd

This is pretty sad, is there any hope left ?
No, there was never any hope unless the sub was able to surface on its own. I think people do not understand the insane conditions - the pressure at 3600m is 361 bar/atm, meaning it's 361 TIMES the pressure on the surface.
To put this into perpective if you have a 1hr air tank on the surface for diving, it will last for 30 minutes at 10m, 15 minutes at 20m, 7.5 minutes at 30 meters, and so on. Recreational scuba diving ends at 18m, almost no one descends below 40 meters, and even there you need a special nitrox mix to breath in (mix of nitrogen and oxygen), which if you are not careful and good with math can absolutely fuck you up causing necrosis and kill you.

Now imagine we are talking about 3600m.

Last edited:

DosGamer

The sheer panic that is playing out in that sub "if" they are still alive has got to be the absolute worst! I cant even fathom how hard it would be to keep your composure in a cramped container for all this time.
What is the temperature like? Is it completely dark or do they have flash lights.... anybody have a medical emergency from sheer panic? All kinds of horrible thoughts run thru my mind....

Rush2112

Banned
I’ll bet anything they didn’t think this would happen when they signed that waiver. They thought it would be a fun professional disney ride to the titanic. They would be back up for lunch at their respective golf clubs, bragging to their buddies how they just saw the Titanic!

Top Bottom