• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

Donos

Hopping on PS4, anyone interested can join up!

Agreed on all of these except the G2. It's pretty bad compared to every other gun at close range, and its range is really the only redeeming factor for it. Even at close range it's a 4-shot body shot kill, meaning that the Devotion has a lower time to kill that the G2 at long range.

Yeah, i see the G2 like the DMR class in BF4, very good at mid/long range but you struggle at close encounters (i say that as someone who played most of the time in BF4 with the MK 11 MOD 0 and 3,4 optics).

Then again, TF2 is already rather acrady in regards to TTK overall.

No Love

Banned
its' all over this thread but i'll post it again since i hate them so much and well, fuck it:

On Console. The OP stuff
  • Tone
  • Hemlok
  • Devotion
  • G2a (the range)
  • Sentry-turret
  • A-Wall (because there's a bug making it indestructible right now)

Once Hemlok, Devotion, and A-Wall are nerfed you will really see CAR/Alternator/Volt players that are mobile shine. Right now mobility is punished by Hemlok, Devo, and Sentry turrets and the way they cheese the airspace.

Once Hemlok, Devotion, and A-Wall are nerfed you will really see CAR/Alternator/Volt players that are mobile shine. Right now mobility is punished by Hemlok, Devo, and Sentry turrets and the way they cheese the airspace.

You can still shine right now. My KDR is 3.4 against pilots and my most used weapon is the VOLT (second to the Alternator). I often just leave my Titan in auto and run around.

Screenshot your latency to Asia and cite your own region? I'm interested.

China, and the way Titanfall 2 works for us is weird. We get very normal and low ping to all the Asian datacenters in main menu, like 50-100 to Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan, but once you are in-game it just shits the bed, rarely sub 300ms and constantly drop packets, probably due to actual game servers being hosted on cloud services that is not very friendly for Chinese internet.

The way I solve it is getting a router that has custom firmware (ASUS merlin or DD-WRT, I got a newly released ASUS AC-66U B1 which is a beefed up last gen high end AC-68U), using a proxy software called Shadowsocks to reroute all UDP game data packets to a remote server, that way I get low ping and stable connection.

China, and the way Titanfall 2 works for us is weird. We get very normal and low ping to all the Asian datacenters in main menu, like 50-100 to Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan, but once you are in-game it just shits the bed, rarely sub 300ms and constantly drop packets, probably due to actual game servers being hosted on cloud services that is not very friendly for Chinese internet.

The way I solve it is getting a router that has custom firmware (ASUS merlin or DD-WRT, I got a newly released ASUS AC-66U B1 which is a beefed up last gen high end AC-68U), using a proxy software called Shadowsocks to reroute all UDP game data packets to a remote server, that way I get low ping and stable connection.

Oh I see. That makes sense. I was thinking maybe it was something that could reduce latency broadly, rather than just for people within China, but nevermind. Still interesting, yeah I have head of routers that can reroute everything through a proxy.

Izuna

Banned
So, I used Titanfall 2 as a good test to see if sub-900p > 1440p was worth me getting a PS4 Pro ~~ it isn't really. As I thought, the minimal IQ increase isn't worth it. I might return and go with the Base PS4.

Since I've played all platforms now.

Very Good Players:
PC > Xbox > PS4

Average Players:
Xbox > PC > PS4

PS4 is a little bit like easier mode, it's like stuck in free weekend era.

~~~

Update Impressions:

Live Fire is not a mode I'll touch. I mean, I'll try it, but I don't like PvP.

But...

I LOVE CUSTOM PLAYLISTS!

~~

I've played a bit of PS4 (Pro) now. I got relatively used to the controller (I'll share my settings if anyone is interested). Here's my best gameplay from PS4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQNLNqOMgCU

~~

It was SUPER fun playing with the boys:

C2OoeZrWgAAycOj.jpg:large

It's a shame we don't do this sort of thing on Xbox. Too many soloQers.

deoee

are there really 0 people playing bounty hunt on PC right now? wtf?

Change your Data Center.

There's usually at least a pop in Attrition, Mixtampe, Amped Hardpoint and Angel City.

Bounty Hunt alone doesn't seem to be THAT popular, but the next update will hopefully change that :)

Just had a match on Drydock where almost immediately the enemy team managed to box us in the top area of the map and the game just kept spawning us over and over into the same place while they sat watching over it.
Seems...questionable, led to a death grinder until we decided to let them come to us.

Of course we'd have lost anyway because they were a co-ordinated team but damn, it was a slaughter.

Menitta

I'll admit it. I'm not that good and I play on PS4 lol.

The worst feeling in the world is when you grapple a pilot and they kill you. I always feel robbed lol.

Gator86

its' all over this thread but i'll post it again since i hate them so much and well, fuck it:

On Console. The OP stuff
  • Tone
  • Hemlok
  • Devotion
  • G2a (the range)
  • Sentry-turret

Game feels fucking abandoned. This is literally all you see with every single asshole also running nuke which is infuriating as a Legion in Attrition filled with Reapers. Patch your fucking game, Respawn. Jesus.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

On Console. The OP stuff
  • Tone
  • Hemlok
  • Devotion
  • G2a (the range)
  • Sentry-turret

Hemlok and Sentry turret were enough for me to shelve the game for the time being until those are addressed, if that ever happens. Seems like it got a lot worse after the influx of new players from the holidays. I'm gonna stay optimistic though.

Went back to Titanfall a few times to play Attrition last week and my god it was jarring. The most glaring difference to me is the red glow around pilots in TF2, it's just ridiculous. Titanfall actually forced me to improve my aiming and movement skills, but TF2 just feels like Titanfall with training wheels most of the time, at least in it's current form. And I don't even consider myself all that good at shooters. I just play to have fun.

Izuna

Banned
(can't sleep)

It feels like I came out ending up being more positive toward this game than the thread's consensus.

I don't have a problem with weapon balance.

Ever since I've found the EPG+Mozambique (and Ronin too) combo, I've found Attrition enjoyable. The better I get at Pilot combat, the more I am able to jump into my Titan within, at least, the first 1-3 minutes of a match.

I feel that LTS is too competitive though, and I still don't like PvP etc. But with the upcoming update, I can rotate the modes I enjoy and I think I will have a good time.

however

I feel sorta... Finished. Like, there's no progression. Yeah, hitting G10.50 took a while (100hs?), but apart from being a number that increased, it wasn't anything else.

I really need a set of challenges, not daily, mind you, but something to try and complete. Achievements for Goosing with certain Titans or something.

With a ~90% winrate across platforms (soloQ), I don't feel inclined to improve. And tbh, I don't really want to fight stronger people. I do like winning, and SBMM would put this game in a coffin for me, if it meant I had to carry harder.

I'm happy with it. It's no Titanfall 1, but no amount of weapon balance will make it that game.

I'm waiting for the co-op/horde w/e mode with it's own progression system pls.

P.S... Please don't Nerf this EPG glitch :'( no one is complaining about it and it's so fun.   

Sigh.

Screenshot-Original.png

First game of the night.

Last game of the night.

I tried my best, but sadly I do need something bordering on competence from my team.

It's amazing the other team killed that many Titans, without taking out my Ion even once, lol

gaugebozo

Hmm. I live in the US (St. Louis data center) and I have the same problems. Low ping at the menu, higher ping in game that jumps around a lot. Is this the sort of thing I need to do or is there another fix?

SwolBro

Banned
If. If they are nerfed.
They will. There's no way they won't unless they want horrible word of mouth to spread like a plague.

You can still shine right now. My KDR is 3.4 against pilots and my most used weapon is the VOLT (second to the Alternator). I often just leave my Titan in auto and run around.
I agree you can still shine but that doesn't say anything about the weapon balance, it shows how awful the population as a whole is at this game.

Very Good Players:
PC > Xbox > PS4

Average Players:
Xbox > PC > PS4

Wait, don't say that! where's your proof man? Like, of course the PS4 has great players! This is a "myth" blah blah blah blah.

I've been saying this for the longest time. People would claim i was only being a console warrior.

Game feels fucking abandoned. This is literally all you see with every single asshole also running nuke which is infuriating as a Legion in Attrition filled with Reapers. Patch your fucking game, Respawn. Jesus.
It's all you see in PVP. That mode has gone straight down into pure ass. At first i enjoyed it, but now i can't even play it, at all. I get into a game, a min later i'm quitting. Not because i'm losing, but because it's just such fucking ass.

CTF is still good though until you run into a squad all going hemlok+tone and you're by yourself. The tourny is getting close so there's a lot of private matches going on. Played nothing but sweaty private matches the last two days. Very fun.

3v3 pilot only CTF is amazing. Should be a game mode. Will Respawn consider it? Of course not. It's not ASS enough.

Went back to Titanfall a few times to play Attrition last week and my god it was jarring. The most glaring difference to me is the red glow around pilots in TF2, it's just ridiculous.
Sigh, been saying this. It's also making me a worse player. I EXPECT to see someone in my peripheral vision because they'll be glowing bright orange. It's not good. It's not good at all.

(can't sleep)

It feels like I came out ending up being more positive toward this game than the thread's consensus.

I don't have a problem with weapon balance.

I feel that LTS is too competitive though, and I still don't like PvP etc. But with the upcoming update, I can rotate the modes I enjoy and I think I will have a good time.

however

I feel sorta... Finished. Like, there's no progression. Yeah, hitting G10.50 took a while (100hs?), but apart from being a number that increased, it wasn't anything else.

I really need a set of challenges, not daily, mind you, but something to try and complete. Achievements for Goosing with certain Titans or something.

With a ~90% winrate across platforms (soloQ), I don't feel inclined to improve. And tbh, I don't really want to fight stronger people. I do like winning, and SBMM would put this game in a coffin for me, if it meant I had to carry harder.

Well, that's a ridiculous contradiction if i've ever seen one. Of course you're finding the balance fine, you keep playing bad people. The general population stinks. You won't really get annoyed until running into somewhat ok people running the OP shit. Play more PVP, the average player is better than the other modes, and without question they'll be running the ASS full force.

Hmm. I live in the US (St. Louis data center) and I have the same problems. Low ping at the menu, higher ping in game that jumps around a lot. Is this the sort of thing I need to do or is there another fix?

Shouldn't be that bad in the US, change to other datacenters around you might help.

Izuna

Banned

Well, that's a ridiculous contradiction if i've ever seen one. Of course you're finding the balance fine, you keep playing bad people. The general population stinks. You won't really get annoyed until running into somewhat ok people running the OP shit. Play more PVP, the average player is better than the other modes, and without question they'll be running the ASS full force.

I'm not saying the game isn't super unbalanced, it's just the least of my problems. Removing Sentries, Hemlok, Devotion etc. Wouldn't really affect my experience. It might just give birth to more EVAs, and fuuuuuck that lol.

PvP ain't my mode. I already dislike that Attrition is mini PvP until the first fall, haha. I wish I could do minion runs and get my Titan like I could in the original (you could do so in every mode, even Pilot Hunter).

I agree you can still shine but that doesn't say anything about the weapon balance, it shows how awful the population as a whole is at this game.

I don't think they're any more awful than they are at other games. It's easy to say that the average gamer, and even the average Gaffer is pretty bad at games generally but that's a bit unfair I think and generally quite defeatist.

I think it's better to be take pride in your own achievements than to suggest that everyone else around you is awful. With that said, I'm a culpret of doing the same thing, as whenever I have a good game I usually find myself thinking things like 'man these guys are awful' but in a way it's a shame my mind works like that, a shame I can't just be happy that I'm doing well.

Philosophy aside though, I agree with you. It doesn't tend to matter what I use, it's pretty easy to perform quite well. Despite that, I guess the point I was trying to make is that anyone that's hoping to suddenly get good at the game once (if) they tone down some of the ranged weapons may have a rude awakening. If you can't make a run and gun playstyle work now, then I have doubts that you will be able to make it work post any nerfs. Ultimately, in this current climate what your opponent is using isn't even that relevant in most of the matches, if your mobility is decent then the average team isn't even going to see you coming.

Izuna why do you own Titanfall 2 on 3 platforms? That seems like quite an extreme commitment, even if you do like this game. Turns out your brothers didn't need to like this game because you were going to give Respawn 3 sales anyway. :p

Perhaps a more pertinent question however, if you just bought a PS4, why aren't you playing Bloodborne?

No Love

Banned
Izuna why do you own Titanfall 2 on 3 platforms? That seems like quite an extreme commitment, even if you do like this game. Turns out your brothers didn't need to like this game because you were going to give Respawn 3 sales anyway. :p

Perhaps a more pertinent question however, if you just bought a PS4, why aren't you playing Bloodborne?

When you're a kid with no job or responsibilities, plenty of time to obsess over one game.

Izuna

Banned

PC + Xbox was a no brainer really. I main Xbox, and I wanted another game for my Surface Book (so I can pop in a game at Uni if I get bored or smth I dunno).

I don't own Bloodborne but almost everyone else I know does. I'd be playing it rn if it wasn't so long that I won't have time to finish it before my holiday after exams. I'm defo gunna return the Pro for an OG though!

I thought Titanfall 2 would be a good test to see if the better IQ on the Pro was worth it. I plat'd the game since.

When you're a kid with no job or responsibilities, plenty of time to obsess over one game.

I agree, although that doesn't really apply to me.

~~

Actually, I think I played far more Titanfall 1 while working 40h weeks and as a Student at the same time. (Though, when shifts were 10-11hs it makes sense). That'll be me again in a month.

Thanks for the negative assumption though!

PC + Xbox was a no brainer really. I main Xbox, and I wanted another game for my Surface Book (so I can pop in a game at Uni if I get bored or smth I dunno).

I don't own Bloodborne but almost everyone else I know does. I'd be playing it rn if it wasn't so long that I won't have time to finish it before my holiday after exams. I'm defo gunna return the Pro for an OG though!

I thought Titanfall 2 would be a good test to see if the better IQ on the Pro was worth it. I plat'd the game since.

Do you play many games outside of the ones you focus on? I'm just curious since you seem super dedicated to Titanfall, despite complaining about it quite a bit. I haven't even bothered with the platinum for this game and I only own it on one platform. I have about 300 games on PS4 though.

Also, I don't know what you're talking about in terms of IQ. I felt like the leap in IQ from the base model to the PS4 PRO version was huge. You're using a 4K televison or monitor right? While I can obviously go back to 1080p in other games, I always notice a sharp drop in IQ, especially on the HUD and features like that, which look blurry. However I play on a 4K monitor, and sit quite close, so it gives me an appreciation for the detail.

I think it's worth it on TF2 especially though, because it saves you from any unwanted frame rate drops too.

Very Good Players:
PC > Xbox > PS4

Average Players:
Xbox > PC > PS4

I don't see much purpose in this narrative. You're telling us that people with 2.3 years of experience are better than people with .3 years of experience. You aren't wrong. And as far as the best PC players being better... they use a different set of inputs, it's not really fair to say that they are better, or worse.

Taking time out of the equation though there are two major factors that affect the highest level of play

a) incentive to get better (tournaments and their prize pools)
b) the size of the community

None of the versions of Titanfall really provide the average player much incentive to get better, there's a lack of ranked play, official support etc, so that's not a huge factor here. The size of the community is likely to be a factor in the long term. There's a reason China win a lot of Olympic medals, for instance.

The point is, the PS4 has the larger userbase so you just have to give them some time and a lot of good players will crop up. People like you have 2 years on them, and people like me, and for people like me that just got into Titanfall 2 with the PS4 version, it's not easier, it's not easier than it was when you first got into it on the XBOX ONE, so saying things like 'it's easy on PS4' kind of diminishes the achievements of people on this platform, especially if there are people here struggling to do well on the PS4 version of the game. I can't imagine it makes them feel all that great about their performance.

Personally I have had the chance to try out the PS4 and PC versions a fair bit (though mostly on PS4) and didn't find the experience to be especially distinct, I played with a PS4 controller on both and was easily able to top the team consistently on the PC version. While obviously the mouse and keyboard does enable greater theoretical accuracy, the average PC player is just as poor with their movement, and average accuracy than they are on console (helped significantly by the aim assist). I've only played a handful of matches on the XBOX ONE version, it did seem as though there were more people that knew what they were doing in terms of movement, but they didn't seem remarkably better at the game as a whole.

Kind of reminds me of a match I played the other day on PS4, where there was this player with amazing mobility, but he landed very few kills. That's what I experienced when I played the XBOX ONE version, it felt as though people had a better grasp of the games novelty (familiarity with the movement systems), but they weren't necessarily any better at first person shooters broadly. Obviously that did make them a little better at the game overall, but not significantly enough that I found it difficult, even with a relatively unfamiliar controller. PS4 players just need a little time to catch up for what they lack as a result of inexperience.

Izuna

Banned
Do you play many games outside of the ones you focus on? I'm just curious since you seem super dedicated to Titanfall, despite complaining about it quite a bit. I haven't even bothered with the platinum for this game and I only own it on one platform. I have about 300 games on PS4 though.

Actually, this game came out the second I started Uni (changed my course so I'm an undergrad for another couple of years, yaaaaay)... Titanfall was a great game to relieve stress way back, so I committed to the sequel. Despite that, I actually don't play it a whole lot. If I average out my playtime across all platforms, I've played ~35h a month (for all games).

I do spend more time looking up clips, light editing and in this thread than actually playing I guess.

While I'm a bit of a hypocrite because I bought this game technically 5 times (2 as a gift), money is tight so I'm not buying other games. (Pro was bought with my Scorpio savings spontaneously, so I'm a double hypocrite).

Also, I don't know what you're talking about in terms of IQ. I felt like the leap in IQ from the base model to the PS4 PRO version was huge. You're using a 4K televison or monitor right? While I can obviously go back to 1080p in other games, I always notice a sharp drop in IQ, especially on the HUD and features like that, which look blurry. However I play on a 4K monitor, and sit quite close, so it gives me an appreciation for the detail.

1080p monitor myself, but since I'm mostly on the Surface Book (3000x2000), so I'm aware of what improvement in resolution is like. I think I just get used to the IQ very quickly, so half way through my first match on the Pro I kinda forgot what the Xbox version looks like. It's a big difference going back and forth, but during gameplay, it doesn't really improve my experience.

Framerate is definitely better on the Pro at 90FoV, but lag manifests in a way that appears as jerky framerate anyway... so...

--

As for platinum, I can do it in 3~4hs. I did it for someone for £20 off of eBay haha.

--

As for platinum, I can do it in 3~4hs. I did it for someone for £20 off of eBay haha.

I know it's easy it's just the fact that I wouldn't want to do something multiple times, especially if as you say, you're short on time.

Also you can beat Bloodborne in 20 hours, so you definitely have time for it based on the amount of time you spend on here, and on these games.

Izuna

Banned
I know it's easy it's just the fact that I wouldn't want to do something multiple times, especially if as you say, you're short on time.

Also you can beat Bloodborne in 20 hours, so you definitely have time for it based on the amount of time you spend on here, and on these games.

The campaign is just that dope. <3 especially since you can skip the Spider fight AND the Dome fight really easily.

~~

I'll probably do Bloodborne at the start of my next semester or smth.

~~

Man, reading the OT1 for the first game is like a blast from the past. I miss TrueGrime ;(

I've decided to compile all of my old Runoff posts so Respawn knows why I love it so much <3

I think Runoff might be the best map for tournament play. Runoff is essentially Nexus without the big issue that Nexus had: Minion Farming. Runoff is the only map that when trying to run for Minions in the first minute to get a Titan quickly will you almost always encounter another Pilot on your way. Not only that, Minions aren't bunched together like they are in every other map in the game. In this map you will tend to see top scorers with 20 or less Minion kills and never 60 like Nexus or Colony.

The main thing about Runoff which makes it a great map for pretty much any mode (except CTF) are the two levels. Titans that fall down are have to traverse to a ramp which most of time keeps the Titan fighting at the bottom away from the Pilots. You can punch a Titan down, dash back, and no longer have to deal with it, allowing for some amazing strategy for team Titan fights. It also makes Titans predictable, as they have to travel to specific points to get back up.

With Minion farming almost impossible, this map for me always had some of the closest Attrition battles I have ever had. To put this in perspective, I had just won one match of Swampland with nearly 120 Attrition Points difference and then played a match in Runoff (same teams) with only a 20 point difference. Throughout the rotation this was consistent.
I would pay to make Runoff free for everyone else so I can play it more. Best map in the game, sadly no one else agrees because it isn't beautiful.
I really like Runoff, jumping on top of a Titan as the Pilot ejects to get a squashing Gooser. =P
Yeah Runoff has been very common for me since yesterday. I LOVE it. I only play the normal playlist so I'm happy the best map in the game is frequent.
Personally I think Export is horrible. Completely freaking horrible.

Haven is awesome though. Next to Runoff, it is one of the best maps in the whole game.
As mentioned before, Runoff is the best map in Titanfall. Not the prettiest, and not for every mode (Hardpoint is not good on it, nor is CTF), but the map having Pilot advantages is important.

tl;dr, please bring Runoff to Titanfall 2. <3 (maybe CTF needs different spawns)

What GPU do you have in your surface book Izuna, processor, gpu? I wonder if Titanfall 2 would run on my surface book too.

The last game I tried to play on it was Redout which doesn't run, then I stopped trying to play many of the latest PC games.

I think this was the game where I was running around in my Titan desperately looking for anything to kill. Didn't care if it was a pilot, reaper, or grunt. Just give me something please lol.

I play on both a 4k TV and a 1080p monitor. I do think the 4k TV looks noticeably better. Of course not the hugest difference but I feel I'm clearly seeing a higher resolution along with the other benefits that the Pro gives the game. Plus I can play at 100 FOV without worrying about the frame rate.

I actually do play more on my 1080p monitor and though I think it's fine, I definitely feel it's a step down. But if you only play on a 1080p monitor I can understand why you feel the benefits weren't enough. It just doesn't look as sharp and crisp to me.

And take it easy on us PS4 guys. We're over 2 years behind you guys on this series. If and when the 3rd one comes out I think it'll feel pretty even between all 3 platforms when it comes to the average player base.

Top Bottom