• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

Played a game on Complex.

Actual quote from a teammate:

"WHY THE FUCK AM I STUCK ON A COUCH?!"

Answer:

Legitimate morons thought that the geometry of a fucking couch was more important than player freedom during fire-fights. Couches are not large enough to provide cover, nor use to chain wall-runs. The idea that a player wants to stop dead mid circle-strafe, backing up, or bouncing around is anti-player IDIOCY.

People were paid actual fucking money to ok these decisions.

No Love

Banned
Played a game on Complex.

Actual quote from a teammate:

"WHY THE FUCK AM I STUCK ON A COUCH?!"

Answer:

Legitimate morons thought that the geometry of a fucking couch was more important than player freedom during fire-fights. Couches are not large enough to provide cover, nor use to chain wall-runs. The idea that a player wants to stop dead mid circle-strafe, backing up, or bouncing around is anti-player IDIOCY.

People were paid actual fucking money to ok these decisions.

Go on the internet, they said. Engage in the exchange of fresh ideas and new viewpoints, they said.

Translation: fuck yo couch, Respawn. 😂

Izuna

Banned
Great minds.

edit: you're given the chance to discuss design with the dev of your current fav game, and you decide to take berate them? ;(

Go on the internet, they said. Engage in the exchange of fresh ideas and new viewpoints, they said.

If you feel I'm being unfair, then by all means defend the decision to impede players with geometry that can neither be used for cover nor for mobility (ie, geometry that only serves to hang up the player).

If you feel I'm wrong that the player experience should supersede the artist's ego, then by all means say so. But given the EXTENDED wait for changes that the userbase has been clamouring for since almost day 1, I can only imagine how far down the ladder of priorities that player experience rests at Respawn.

But hey, we get a new mode that literally nobody asked for. So....yay?

Great minds.

edit: you're given the chance to discuss design with the dev of your current fav game, and you decide to take berate them? ;(

If I saw ANYTHING resembling progress, maybe my frustration wouldn't spill out into writing.

Players that have put the most time into TF1 and TF2 have been pointing the same issues since pretty much day one. In response? Here's some DLC you can buy.

As it stands, it seems the player experience is the last thing on Respawn's mind.

Arrrammis

If you feel I'm being unfair, then by all means defend the decision to impede players with geometry that can neither be used for cover or for mobility (ie, geometry that only serves to hang up the player).

If you feel I'm wrong that the player experience should supersede the artist's ego, then by all means say so. But given the EXTENDED wait for changes that the userbase has been clamouring for since almost day 1, I can only imagine how far down the ladder of priorities that player experience rests as Respawn.

If you can't figure out how to get over or around a couch, then that's hardly the game designer's fault. Personally, I like when every object that I see actually has geometry, which means that when I pay attention I can easily outplay people who get stuck constantly. Honestly, a lot more people would complain if half of the objects in game didn't actually have collision, because using various bits of small cover while dashing around is one of the things that decides a fight between skilled players.

If you can't figure out how to get over or around a couch, then that's hardly the game designer's fault. Personally, I like when every object that I see actually has geometry, which means that when I pay attention I can easily outplay people who get stuck constantly. Honestly, a lot more people would complain if half of the objects in game didn't actually have collision, because using various bits of small cover while dashing around is one of the things that decides a fight between skilled players.

Oh, bullshit.

If you are actively and consciously using waist or shin-high geometry well outside your POV as cover mid-firefight then you should show Frothy and Sage a thing or two, since they both rightfully complain about nonsense geometry on Trash Site and the like.

I have no problem with environmental geometry that provides cover and/or routes in a fire-fight. The fact that I have to watch out for a fucking fallen concrete beam that elevates five inches above the ground in order to prevent myself from stopping dead mid slide-hop on Boomtown (as just one example) is fucking asinine, as is the idea that my super-elite pilot travelling as 60mph would stop dead on a goddamn coach. Let alone the bannisters, lips, and other assorted nonsense geometry that don't even provide a HINT of cover in the best case scenario.

Worst case scenario, the developers add some intelligent collision to these objects, and let players travelling at a certain speed pass through them. Best case scenario, they actually take the time to code animations of pilots hopping over such impediments.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think the problem, at least when I'm in a Titan, is that many of these objects don't appear on the minimap. So I back up expecting free space and suddenly I'm cornered because of the dump truck on Drydock or something.
--------
Also, being on the losing side of a few curb stomp matches, I don't mind being destroyed because I'm the only one with a score higher than 100, but I kind of wish there was something else losing players can do during the evac phase. I'm not sure what it is, but once you see that the enemy team has 5 Titans, there isn't really much of a chance at that point. I don't know if the dropship needs more health, or players should be able to shoot out of it from any angle, or what, but I don't know if Respawn wanted it to be so broken in matches where one team is clearly better than the other.

It annoys me more than anything else because I'm trying to rank up my faction to get the final banner that won't drop, and if I could just buy the banners with all the credits I won't use, then maybe I wouldn't care anymore. lol

No Love

Banned
If you feel I'm being unfair, then by all means defend the decision to impede players with geometry that can neither be used for cover nor for mobility (ie, geometry that only serves to hang up the player).

If you feel I'm wrong that the player experience should supersede the artist's ego, then by all means say so. But given the EXTENDED wait for changes that the userbase has been clamouring for since almost day 1, I can only imagine how far down the ladder of priorities that player experience rests at Respawn.

But hey, we get a new mode that literally nobody asked for. So....yay?

If I saw ANYTHING resembling progress, maybe my frustration wouldn't spill out into writing.

Players that have put the most time into TF1 and TF2 have been pointing the same issues since pretty much day one. In response? Here's some DLC you can buy.

As it stands, it seems the player experience is the last thing on Respawn's mind.

I think the way you worded it and how insulting it was is the point of contention. Feel free to criticize/point out flaws but don't be a dick about it. I think Respawn gives a fuck, I just think that you need to be more considerate of the context:

-Respawn crunches hard, misses time with their loved ones to get the game out in time for a brutal holiday season where their publisher says "fuck it, we will drop their game a few days after our own juggernaut and a few days before Call of Duty!"
-Respawn staff is exhausted, needs vacation, tries to enjoy holidays even though their game is underperforming in sales and their publisher is probably talking mad shit and already herding them towards gearing up for their other projects
-Respawn continues to update game, fix bugs, and make changes. Luckily they can update the backend via servers but still must endure Sony/MS patch certification for big changes.
-Less than 90 fucking days have passed since release, yet impatient forum-goers berate recovering Respawn devs over couch geometry.

Is this a reasonable assessment?

Slixshot

Banned
C2gS-ZFVEAEUy7O.jpg

Well that was a fun match! :D

This might have been my best yet.

Arrrammis

I think the problem, at least when I'm in a Titan, is that many of these objects don't appear on the minimap. So I back up expecting free space and suddenly I'm cornered because of the dump truck on Drydock or something.
--------
Also, being on the losing side of a few curb stomp matches, I don't mind being destroyed because I'm the only one with a score higher than 100, but I kind of wish there was something else losing players can do during the evac phase. I'm not sure what it is, but once you see that the enemy team has 5 Titans, there isn't really much of a chance at that point. I don't know if the dropship needs more health, or players should be able to shoot out of it from any angle, or what, but I don't know if Respawn wanted it to be so broken in matches where one team is clearly better than the other.

It annoys me more than anything else because I'm trying to rank up my faction to get the final banner that won't drop, and if I could just buy the banners with all the credits I won't use, then maybe I wouldn't care anymore. lol

Fair enough on the Titan point, I do wish that there were more objects (like those dump trucks) that titans could just walk over like they do for the cars on Complex or the smaller crates on various maps. I guess it's kind of bias at this point, but there aren't too many of these in the main firefight lanes and it feels like you can learn them fairly quickly, but in the heat of the moment it's easy to forget.

I definitely agree on the dropship, and recently I've stopped trying to destroy the dropship after a win. Winners get absolutely no reward for destroying the ship (except for the one person to last the last hit on it), but the losers get an extra merit for escaping. At the moment, I think it would be nice and a bit funny if the whole play base agreed to just let people escape so that everyone got merits. Either that, or give the entire winning team a bonus merit for destroying the ship. I think the HP of the dropship is fair at the moment, 1 titan will have difficulty destroying it, but 2 titans or several players can destroy it if they focus, which motivates the escapees to try to clear out the other team before making their escape.

I think the way you worded it and how insulting it was is the point of contention. Feel free to criticize/point out flaws but don't be a dick about it. I think Respawn gives a fuck, I just think that you need to be more considerate of the context:

-Respawn crunches hard, misses time with their loved ones to get the game out in time for a brutal holiday season where their publisher says "fuck it, we will drop their game a few days after our own juggernaut and a few days before Call of Duty!"
-Respawn staff is exhausted, needs vacation, tries to enjoy holidays even though their game is underperforming in sales and their publisher is probably talking mad shit and already herding them towards gearing up for their other projects
-Respawn continues to update game, fix bugs, and make changes. Luckily they can update the backend via servers but still most endure Sony/MS patch certification for big changes.
-Less than 90 fucking days have passed since release, yet impatient forum-goers berate recovering Respawn devs over couch geometry.

Is this a reasonable assessment?

It may well be a reasonable assessment, but if so they should fire every single community manager they have.

Respawn has basically been a black-box, and the two major announcements since launch have been 'here's this DLC you can buy' and 'here's this mode nobody asked for'.

A simple 'Hey, we know the Devotion is broken as shit and we promise we're going to fix it' would be fine, followed by a 'we've released the update that fixes our hilariously broken LMG'. But they won't. Hell, they won't even tell us the details of ANY balance patch they apply.

Their social media channels are obviously only marketing channels, any questions or complaints are ignored. Which is fine, but if you offer a player base ZERO viable means to affect change then yeah, people who paid money and put in time are going to vent.

Or do we only allow frustration if it's directed at the guys who made No Man's Sky? I'm fuzzy on the rules.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fair enough on the Titan point, I do wish that there were more objects (like those dump trucks) that titans could just walk over like they do for the cars on Complex or the smaller crates on various maps. I guess it's kind of bias at this point, but there aren't too many of these in the main firefight lanes and it feels like you can learn them fairly quickly, but in the heat of the moment it's easy to forget.
Yeah, it's something I've learned to try to avoid but in the heat of the moment, I notice that I cornered myself because the map "lied" to me. lol

I definitely agree on the dropship, and recently I've stopped trying to destroy the dropship after a win. Winners get absolutely no reward for destroying the ship (except for the one person to last the last hit on it), but the losers get an extra merit for escaping. At the moment, I think it would be nice and a bit funny if the whole play base agreed to just let people escape so that everyone got merits. Either that, or give the entire winning team a bonus merit for destroying the ship. I think the HP of the dropship is fair at the moment, 1 titan will have difficulty destroying it, but 2 titans or several players can destroy it if they focus, which motivates the escapees to try to clear out the other team before making their escape.
I almost feel like the MVP of the losing team should get a free merit for all the weight they have to carry on their back. lol

Or any members really

I've reported him to two different mods so hopefully he'll be dealt with sooner rather than later. Its ridiculous its gone on this long.

*rolls eyes*

Would you say the butt hurt extends across the entirety of the cheeks, or is it more localized to the sphincter?

God forbid somebody criticizes elements of game they've spent money and time on. The horror.

giphy.gif

As a non-magical entity, I must ask, do you consider yourself racist or ableist with statements such as 'Its so simple a muggle can do it'?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228587256&postcount=3654

Arrrammis

It may well be a reasonable assessment, but if so they should fire every single community manager they have.

Respawn has basically been a black-box, and the two major announcements since launch have been 'here's this DLC you can buy' and 'here's this mode nobody asked for'.

A simple 'Hey, we know the Devotion is broken as shit and we promise we're going to fix it' would be fine, followed by a 'we've released the update that fixes our hilariously broken LMG'. But they won't. Hell, they won't even tell us the details of ANY balance patch they apply.

The 'Here's the DLC you can buy' update actually brought a new map, a mild balance patch (THANK GOD Respawn didn't pull a Bungie with balancing. The last thing we need are 20 different weapons that all do exactly the same damage, at the same range, and feel exactly the same), new weapons, and much better priced, completely RNG-free cosmetic items than any other game on the market.

The 'mode that nobody wanted' is a solid Pilots only alternative to Titans vs Titans, and with good balancing and well designed maps it could easily (in my eyes) replace Capture the Flag as the sweatiest mode. In addition, it brings another mild balancing patch, which the player base has been requesting. I doubt they'll throw out specifics ahead of time, so that they can make small adjustments on the fly, because if they say one thing, notice that it doesn't work, and change it, then people like you will blow up forums with complaints about it.

It's all well and good to give feedback and discuss the game, but when you come on to one of the forums that is lucky enough to be able to interact directly with the Devs at Respawn and act like an entitled child, it's embarrassing. Take a walk, calm down, come post again if you want to have a discussion instead of pointlessly insulting the developers of what many (including myself) consider to be one of the, if not THE, best shooter in the past few years.

I'm having a weird issue on Xbox today, automatic weapons constantly skipping shots like if I'm tap firing, didn't happen on PS4, using the same Xbox Elite controller.

Slixshot

Banned
Highest points on GAF?

Mine is, I think, 298

You need a really bad team for that, though.

edit:

found it:

C27inU5.png

Damn!!! That's impressive!

I'm gonna guess that was my highest above. Maybe 250 some other time when I wasn't recording stuff.

Speaking of recording....

here's my latest video

Northstar Backdash of DOOM

That was a nice little surprise when dashing away from the enemy titans :)

Izuna

Banned
Titanfall 1 peeps getting banned left right and centre.

Some never got to come back too.

I dunno how long the ban was, but I also had to report. I think it's a little too far to continue, especially when the dev expresses their discontent just moments before.

SwolBro

Banned
See what happens when i'm not around for a few hours? a couch becomes the focal point, people lose themselves and get banned.

Someone remind me where this infamous couch resides. it's boomtown right? I forget exactly where.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
See what happens when i'm not around for a few hours? a couch becomes the focal point, people lose themselves and get banned.

Someone remind me where this infamous couch resides. it's boomtown right? I forget exactly where.

Yeah, we should talk about how we can buff Devotion instead!

SwolBro

Banned
Highest points on GAF?

Mine is, I think, 298

edit:

found it:

C27inU5.png
Mine was 280 but i did not farm nearly as many bots as you did. 62? goddamn.

those couches are bullshit though.

Yeah, we should talk about how we can buff Devotion instead!
we need someone to find this couch and create a meme out of it. please. this thread deserves it.

any time someone starts losing it the meme comes out "chill out on the couch" or something. i think it'd be great.

Highest points on GAF?

Mine is, I think, 298

edit:

found it:

C27inU5.png

Damn, that's more than double my best ever, which is 145 lol. I still get kind of bummed thinking about that game because I got off to a pretty hot start(had over 100 when my team was about halfway to victory) but then cooled off for a while. I lost my Titan early and had nothing to do for a while because the map was Kodai. And it's a constant reminder that I'll never touch 200 if I don't get better at Titan combat because most of my best games are when I do really well as a Pilot.

And Izuna, I think I remember you saying that Attrition is easy mode compared to Bounty Hunt. I'm starting to notice how true that is now. I play PvP and Attrition about 50/50 nowadays and I find myself getting top 3 way more often in Attrition compared to PvP. Probably about 60-70% of the time for Attrition compared to 30-40% for PvP. It's a nice boost to my ego I must admit. I can have a good K/D in PvP like 14-2 but still finish 6th or 7th overall but go to Attrition and score 110 which is good enough for top 3 most of the time.

Izuna

Banned
Like, knowing how to play Bounty Hunt ensures a win... But it requires you to carry harder if your team doesn't. You need to do more.

Attrition however... Well...

I'll upload a clip later of a game I just did. Like, geez.

Rayme

If you feel I'm being unfair, then by all means defend the decision to [...]

God forbid somebody criticizes elements of game they've spent money and time on. The horror.

No. See, you might be bringing up good points. But if you come out swinging with "these fucking morons" (or whatever that was pre-edit) a reasonable person has a hard time wanting to read anything past that.

That doesn't excuse any flaws in the game, either, to be clear.

It's probably worth talking about why you think communication with the community has been poor, or that the studio is a black box, or etc. But the insults and assumptions are a bit thick.

Dez_

Now I notice a couch in Complex. That area in the middle. Got stuck there trying to escape some titans and reapers. Feels bad, man.

Rayme

those couches are bullshit though.

Now I notice a couch in Complex. That area in the middle. Got stuck there trying to escape some titans and reapers. Feels bad, man.
I fear that the couch has always been there and I've been unable to see it. But once I finally do, it'll be all I see, and it will consume me.

I am afraid of this couch with no name. Maybe it's already won? Am I the couch's dream?

Rayme,
What can you tell me about Stoic Black pilot camo? Chrome Skins on Prime Titans? Removing Crash Site and Complex? Buffing Legion back to launch buffness? Nerfing Tone, Hemlok, Devotion, and G2 into oblivion?

Lastly, placing couches on more maps?

Thank you

Dez_

I fear that the couch has always been there and I've been unable to see it. But once I finally do, it'll be all I see, and it will consume me.

I am afraid of this couch with no name. Maybe it's already won? Am I the couch's dream?

I'm going to start noticing couches on every map, or objects in the shape of a couch, aren't I? I'm paying attention now.

I like using the G2 and Hemlock (hate using the devotion) but I wouldn't mind if they were nerfed hard just because their playstyle is the antithesis of what the game should strive to be imo

Rayme,
What can you tell me about Stoic Black pilot camo? Chrome Skins on Prime Titans? Removing Crash Site and Complex? Buffing Legion back to launch buffness? Nerfing Tone, Hemlok, Devotion, and G2 into oblivion?

Lastly, placing couches on more maps?

Thank you

To help take some of the load off Rayme:

Stoic Black camo and a couple of other unlocks that are currently locked behind levels greater than Gen10.50 should be moved upwards so you'll get them at 10.50.

No idea what you mean the issue is with Chrome Skins?
Map Choices, Buffs/Nerfs: there will be tweaks, but I actually don't know the details; there should be a new missive from Jay soon.

Lastly, I can promise you that couches will only appear on maps for which we deem them to be necessary. For what purpose, well, sometimes we're not at liberty to say.

To help take some of the load off Rayme:

Stoic Black camo and a couple of other unlocks that are currently locked behind levels greater than Gen10.50 should be moved upwards so you'll get them at 10.50.

Oooo ETA?

No idea what you mean the issue is with Chrome Skins?

Unless its been fixed recently and I just haven't noticed the Chrome Skins that were included with the Deluxe Edition are not available for Prime Ion or Scorch.

Map Choices, Buffs/Nerfs: there will be tweaks, but I actually don't know the details; there should be a new missive from Jay soon.

Lastly, I can promise you that we couches will only appear on maps for which we deem them to be necessary. For what purpose, well, sometimes we're not at liberty to say.

Thanks!

A couch on top spawn in Crash Site would be great! Sitting back with an A-wall makes things more comfy :p

The Ummah

Banned
I've been playing solo for about a week now (attrition/bounty hunt), and I've just been getting waxed as far as team play goes. I can only do so much, and I try to help my teammates by highlighting enemies and titans while trying to do my part.

Not worried, I'm still having fun. Still getting fucked up though.

Top Bottom