• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT2| Press X To Respawn

TrueGrime

Points of impact. Yup. Nothing to fix.

104MB down, 6MB up, 8ms ping. I'm central. I usually get great pings anywhere in the US as long as someone in the party hosts that's in the US.

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

I don't remember melee in CoD ever being half as bad.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
What, you don't remember MW2 commando lunge? It really wasn't any better. I guess Titanfall has faster moving players, and the kick animation is probably slower than your typical COD slash animation, but it seems like more or less the same thing with more or less the same problems.

Backing away from melee is problematic because you see him in the past, and he sees you in the past... at least by some amount, because you're not going to have 0 ping between you. If you are going back away from him and he is going towards you in his game he will always be closer to you on his Xbox compared to where you are relative to each other on your Xbox.

Your bandwidth isn't particularly relevant.

You didn't check your score during the two melee clips, but in the Last Titan Standing clip your ping was shit, 3 bars. I'm not sure exactly what ping that corresponds to, but from experience I know it's not good. Is 8ms a number from some ping test you ran? Or what you get on the Titanfall main menu.

Also, your ping is only part of the equation, there's also the ping of the other player involved. It's still certainly better to have a good ping than bad, though.

TrueGrime

What, you don't remember MW2 commando lunge? It really wasn't any better. I guess Titanfall has faster moving players, and the kick animation is probably slower than your typical COD slash animation, but it seems like more or less the same thing with more or less the same problems.

Backing away from melee is problematic because you see him in the past, and he sees you in the past... at least by some amount, because you're not going to have 0 ping between you. If you are going back away from him and he is going towards you in his game he will always be closer to you on his Xbox compared to where you are relative to each other on your Xbox.

Your bandwidth isn't particularly relevant.

You didn't check your score during the two melee clips, but in the Last Titan Standing clip your ping was shit, 3 bars. I'm not sure exactly what ping that corresponds to, but from experience I know it's not good. Is 8ms a number from some ping test you ran? Or what you get on the Titanfall main menu.

Also, your ping is only part of the equation, there's also the ping of the other player involved. It's still certainly better to have a good ping than bad, though.

Yeah. I think I mentioned maybe a page back when I was bitching before as well is that the melee seems to lock players somehow. Like if you were in a player's killzone for the melee when he started it, regardless if you made it 50 feet away afterwards you were still going to die. Other people have posted videos and gifs in this thread of what they experienced as well.

8ms ping to my data center via speedtest, 24 ms for my ping to the TF south central US server (where I am right now), and 54 ms to everywhere else in the US.

I can definitely buy for a dollar that ping plays a great deal into it but the other 99% of titanfall runs smooth as fuck for me. The hit markers and shooting is spot on. Even the titan melee is spot on.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Kick definitely has some auto-lock. You really notice its absence when you try to kick a MARVN. When I get bullshit kicked I just try to remember that in other games it's the other guy who thought he kicked me first but still died.

As far as Titan punch detection goes... I don't know, it feels a little wonky to me, but I still don't punch that much, been trying to use Big Punch lately and there's definitely a learning curve. But Titans move much slower relative to their sizes, so you'd expect it to not be as crappy.

As for shot hit detection, the difference in distance doesn't really matter, so it's not as noticeable. I'm sure you still see yourself dying after you round a corner though. And that's the same kind of thing, if the guy shooting you has a bad ping, on your end you'll get farther around the corner before you die.

Problem with match balance in this game is also down to people going for generation tasks instead of trying to win, I see people do nothing but snipe and only end the match with 4 kills in a pilot hunter match, or people trying to rodeo a full health ogre only to be demolished by his team mate or smoke, this sort of stuff effects balance too.

Generation objectives are some of the worst things to add to an online shooter, remember when someone from bungie said about online achievements being bad? then added them anyway :/

There's nothing to fix. In the second clip you obviously meleed him first... on your screen. I guarantee you he meleed you first on his screen, and in the eyes of the server he meleed you first. The animation is late on your end because, well, internet. But, the worse your ping is, the more likely it is to happen to you.

To improve the situation you could make sure nobody is using your internet connection, and always connect to your most local data center, eschewing parties containing members from other regions. To eliminate the situation you could invent faster than light communications (assuming it's possible) and build an improved internet with lag that's measured in smaller increments than milliseconds... or you could play only games that run on LAN which also have netcode suited to the improved network environment.

More people need to understand this. It's frustrating for sure but with everything being decided on the server it's actually the fairest of all the options.

TrueGrime

I understand that the server plays into it. Let's just take CoD Ghosts for example. The knife melee is just a straight forward melee. When I hit the button it's a straight, maybe half second action. In no, way, shape or form does it feel like the game takes you into a locked automatic animation. You can also be shot dead in the middle of the animation whereas in TF the animation has to complete the cycle before the player is officially dead. Yes, it's a server issue as well but I think with other FPS games with melee that make it work some of the shit can be mitigated.

I understand that the server plays into it. Let's just take CoD Ghosts for example. The knife melee is just a straight forward melee. When I hit the button it's a straight, maybe half second action. In no, way, shape or form does it feel like the game takes you into a locked automatic animation. You can also be shot dead in the middle of the animation whereas in TF the animation has to complete the cycle before the player is officially dead. Yes, it's a server issue as well but I think with other FPS games with melee that make it work some of the shit can be mitigated.

I feel like this balances out the instant kill of a melee attack to a degree. It's somewhat dangerous to do, especially the neck snap. If you are in the middle of that animation someone might pick you off. Same thing happens if you terminate someone in a doomed Titan. You can usually pop smoke before someone moves in for the termination and then they'll be sitting in it during the entire animation.

TrueGrime

I see no balance in the server deciding if a player with the best connection or the worst connection wins. If I'm moving in for a termination I bear the risk of getting damaged in that termination. I'm moving towards the enemy and making contact with is attack. More than likely, it doesn't equate to a death. I'll just take damage. Despite the animation locking up, I don't see how that's the same as actively trying to avoid someone's melee.

I mean.. look at the pics I posted above. In my view he's that window's length away. In his view his feet doesn't even need to make contact. Instant melee death wasn't perfect but usually if you were out of range, you were out of range and you missed.

HelloMeow

If this is the best way melee could ever work, why is it in the game in the first place? It causes the most ridiculous and inconsistent moments in the game.

If you can't get it to work with the inherent limitations of multiplayer games, why try to cram it in there to begin with?

I see no balance in the server deciding if a player with the best connection or the worst connection wins. If I'm moving in for a termination I bear the risk of getting damaged in that termination. I'm moving towards the enemy and making contact with is attack. More than likely, it doesn't equate to a death. I'll just take damage. Despite the animation locking up, I don't see how that's the same as actively trying to avoid someone's melee.

I mean.. look at the pics I posted above. In my view he's that window's length away. In his view his feet doesn't even need to make contact. Instant melee death wasn't perfect but usually if you were out of range, you were out of range and you missed.

I totally get it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgvIaZ1988g

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
If this is the best way melee could ever work, why is it in the game in the first place? It causes the most ridiculous and inconsistent moments in the game.

If you can't get it to work with the inherent limitations of multiplayer games, why try to cram it in there to begin with?

Jump kick is really bad, I've been on the giving and receiving end of some ridiculous kills on both PC and XB1. I don't like one shot melees anyways, unless it's a stealth kill, regardless of how they're performed. I'd be fine with stealth melee and rifle butt that deal varying levels of damage depending on where it hits. Regardless if Respawn stay with 1 hit melees I hope they get rid of the jump kick, it looks goofy as hell.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Frontier's Edge : Haven

Haven:
An exclusive beach resort built on the edge of a massive crater lake, Haven normally caters to the wealthy elite of the Frontier. Pilots utilize the sheer walls of hotel skyscrapers to gain high ground while Titans take cover inside art galleries and luxury restaurants. The large interiors of some buildings can encourage discrete, pilot-only firefights, and Titans hold down strategic locations by engaging in between buildings and from the surrounding beach and roadway.

Also remember the twitch stream is tomorrow. Hopefully we get a trailer like the last map pack.

tauke

Now I'm tempted to get the season pass when it's on sale next time.

How's the player count for the DLC maps? It's back to barren wasteland on PC for my region.

How's the player count for the DLC maps? It's back to barren wasteland on PC for my region.

I get full games all the time on the Expidition Variety list on Xbone. I am sure PC is worlds different though.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

I haven't had any problems on PC but I always play attrition, and I'm in the US.

i haven't found melee to be that much of a problem. i rarely do it and it's rarely done to me. it's a little frustrating when it happens though.

Been playing this on PC since the beta, got over 200 hours there but I recently picked up an Xbox One because my brother isn't much of a PC gamer and there was no way I wasn't going to get Titanfall for that too. Anyway I have this running joke with him that I always die between dropping my Titan and getting into it.

This is one of the worst examples of it yet - derp

Oh Microsoft...updated link via youtube instead - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIG7ELm2eBs

tauke

I haven't had any problems on PC but I always play attrition, and I'm in the US.

If I can't get a match at SEA server, I'll hop to US West and sure enough there is plentiful of players.

I don't mind playing at 300+ ping but it's not the best experience with people warping here and there lol.

Matchew

Haven looks really good and so far in my opinion the most interesting one out the the 3 can't wait to get some new maps. Been playing just the DLC maps for the past few weeks to wrap up those achievements almost forgot what the original maps play like.

TrueGrime

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Been playing this on PC since the beta, got over 200 hours there but I recently picked up an Xbox One because my brother isn't much of a PC gamer and there was no way I wasn't going to get Titanfall for that too. Anyway I have this running joke with him that I always die between dropping my Titan and getting into it.

This is one of the worst examples of it yet - https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=E3961A53BA68C024&id=E3961A53BA68C024!150&v=3

Link isn't working, and I also recommend using www.xboxclips.com over Onedrive.

You have to click share at the top of the screen and get a link to share a URL from OneDrive.

Did they announce a release date during the stream for DLC 1?

TrueGrime

Goddamn Arc cannon. There's no way to stop it. At all. It goes through everything. It's very difficult to survive a titan battle with someone using the Arc Cannon and Capacitor.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Been playing this on PC since the beta, got over 200 hours there but I recently picked up an Xbox One because my brother isn't much of a PC gamer and there was no way I wasn't going to get Titanfall for that too.
Excellent... excellent. The double G10 Master Race awaits you.
Anyway I have this running joke with him that I always die between dropping my Titan and getting into it.

This is one of the worst examples of it yet - derp

Oh Microsoft...updated link via youtube instead - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIG7ELm2eBs
Lol. I don't like to sit and wait for my Titan, I will drop it some distance away and go parkour mode to time my arrival in the green area right when it drops. I die plenty getting to it as well, but I feel better about it, because at least someone has to make a good shot :)

TrueGrime

Brehs. Who is going to be playing tonight.

Let's assemble for the night before the Destiny beta because if it's good I will probably be playing that for the next.. what.. four days?

Want to hit Titanfall heavy tonight!

Omega

Banned
im down as always. i'll be home around 9:30 eastern

we should do a kickstarter to get Red a mic. i mean if a guy can raise $61k for a potato salad, we should be able to get all of us brand new mics

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I got that headset adapter on Friday, and today I found out my PS4 Gold headset will work with it. Next time I play I'll be able to talk!

Chucker

Brehs. Who is going to be playing tonight.

Let's assemble for the night before the Destiny beta because if it's good I will probably be playing that for the next.. what.. four days?

Want to hit Titanfall heavy tonight!

Destiny just went up. It's Destiny night for me, brehs.

Obscured

I'll be on the Destiny beta for the foreseeable future (jumping back and forth between PS4 and XB1).

I also have an extra XB1 beta code if anyone needs it. PM if you want it. Any other codes I've had I threw out there, but trying to save this last one for a titanbro.

RedRaider

im down as always. i'll be home around 9:30 eastern

we should do a kickstarter to get Red a mic. i mean if a guy can raise $61k for a potato salad, we should be able to get all of us brand new mics
Just got back earlier from Gamestop and picked up the Stereo Headset Adapter along with an Xbox 360 Talkback Cable. Working pretty great. Now I just need to find a good balance between chat and game volume.

still accepting donations, just cause :p

Mr Croft

I get the email for the destiny beta as soon as I walk into the gym. I had to explain how to use codes to my cousin over the phone just to get it downloaded. I picked the wrong time to go to the gym late.... Destiny tonight tho ice,grim?

Top Bottom