• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT2| Press X To Respawn

Obscured

Haha. Juked his ass. Nice. If the party is ever full and you want to get in some games with a good, full team just send me a message. I'll gladly back out so peeps can get their play on. Especially if I've been playing for a bit.

Next time I'll just join the party and see what you guys are up to.

lmao I love the wallhang.

seems most people dont even know its in the game, because they fall for it alot.

It is so great when it works, hanging above hardpoints is always good, but I like best when mixing it with all the movement options.

That was a really well executed wall hang. Nice :)

Thanks. It is always nice when things actually work the way you want. The movement options in this game are really keeping it fresh for me.

Omega

Banned
By all means. Don't be like Rex though and join the party and don't say a word until someone says something to him.

Manners, Rex. MANNERS. ;p

lmao.

i say whats up..but then i mute my mic because it echoes sometimes

then i forget to unmute my mic and talk to myself for like 10 games

Is there a way to join an in progress party/game without going out to the friends app first or via an invite from the party?

EDIT: I'll be on tonight hoping to not embarrass myself among this elite crew

Omega

Banned
My mic not be working tonight. My chat adapter is being stupid right now. Seems to work one minute then stop the next

Why are MS accessories always shit quality

Mr Croft

I feel like it focuses too much on win/loss and it does so too quickly. It shouldn't rank you 20 something games in, or however fast it is (i remember it being fast). I believe true skill was adjusted in later iterations and i feel like it still needs some serious fine tuning.

In Halo in particular true skill promoted far too much camping, far far too much camping. It also made kids start new names so they could play from scratch against bad kids and build up a good win/loss rate early.

I see true skill being applied to this game to a horrible outcome. This is how a room full of no gens get matched up against multiple gens of 8s or even two 10s. I've seen the most ridiculous combos and i have to conclude part of it is because true skill ranks these gens without any consideration to time actually played.

I disagree we contastly get matched with teams of no gens in titanfall because the matchmaking is silly and no skill is involved in it. I think this new generation of games giving people ranks based on time played and not kills/death ratio or wins for that matter is just silly. It brings up a bunch of people condition to get things just because they play and not because they are good.

so who will be the group tonight? So far I got myself not sure about nori yet. Grim will you be on?

kevin1025

Banned
Question! I just got Titanfall a little over a week ago, and noticed that I completed the Customize Your Ride achievement, but it didn't unlock. Is this a common glitch or has it happened because of an update?

Also, count me in tonight if anyone wants to play! I won't be joining around 11pm EST, but I'll be there for a good bit after that. Also feel free to add me for fun, too!

ID: Quartos

RedRaider

I disagree we contastly get matched with teams of no gens in titanfall because the matchmaking is silly and no skill is involved in it. I think this new generation of games giving people ranks based on time played and not kills/death ratio or wins for that matter is just silly. It brings up a bunch of people condition to get things just because they play and not because they are good.

so who will be the group tonight? So far I got myself not sure about nori yet. Grim will you be on?
Count me in Croft but it may not be until 9 or 10 so you guys might be full by then.

My mic not be working tonight. My chat adapter is being stupid right now. Seems to work one minute then stop the next

Why are MS accessories always shit quality

My mic that came with the system has been busted the whole time. I can either have the mic in and talk, but I can't hear anyone else; or I can leave it unplugged and hear people, but then can't talk.

Really sucks though because I hate joining a party and being an effective mute in one way or another. I can talk, but get no feedback. Or hear, but can't provide anything myself.

I'm going to attempt to update the controller firmware and see if maybe that fixes the issue. If it doesn't, Titanbrehs can have me or not with my broken communication, and leave it up to them. We've tried about everything else when we noticed the issue in some earlier games, and that's about all that's left short of buying a new headset.

I'll be on about 8 or 9 EST, and can be on until 11. Good news about my wife's new work schedule, evening games open up and can watch shows. Bad news, I'm up until 1 the next morning due to having to commute to pick her up.

Shoot me an invite when you guys are getting on. I'm going to warm up with some randoms to get Destiny PvP out of my system.

Edit: Applied the controller update, even though that's for other headset compatibility than the stock one. Hopefully a random is using their mic for one reason or another so I can find out pre-Titanbreh party if this is working or not.

Edit: I Got I Killed Them All by somehow not killing anyone in the evacuation phase. Maybe since I had the last kill of the match and everyone else died from the Here Be Dragons doom-inferno or quit the match.

Edit 2: Has anyone faced a crew full of people with 3PIC something partied up? About to start a match and have a bad feeling about this. *Update* Fuk dat.

KingV

My mic that came with the system has been busted the whole time. I can either have the mic in and talk, but I can't hear anyone else; or I can leave it unplugged and hear people, but then can't talk.

Really sucks though because I hate joining a party and being an effective mute in one way or another. I can talk, but get no feedback. Or hear, but can't provide anything myself.

I'm going to attempt to update the controller firmware and see if maybe that fixes the issue. If it doesn't, Titanbrehs can have me or not with my broken communication, and leave it up to them. We've tried about everything else when we noticed the issue in some earlier games, and that's about all that's left short of buying a new headset.

I'll be on about 8 or 9 EST, and can be on until 11. Good news about my wife's new work schedule, evening games open up and can watch shows. Bad news, I'm up until 1 the next morning due to having to commute to pick her up.

I think there is some sort of unfixed issue with voice chat on XBO. I generally use the chat adapter and it's very hit or miss on whether or not my chat works correctly when plugged in.

The one workaround I have found if you have a headset or headphones is to just use the kinect to chat. That has worked for me most of the time, and the quality is good, but it's still kind of wonky, in that it doesn't always work correctly.

I love this game, but sad to say I do think it's pretty dead on PC these days:

nT8YIDD.png

Was like this from the start of the match. Not a single person joined the entire game. Been playing for the last week again and it's been harder and harder to find full matches. Forget about it during the day.

I think I need to join the Titan-breh force for the X1. Been thinking about taking Friday off work to play the new DLC (it debuts 7/31 right?).

Karl2177

I feel like it focuses too much on win/loss and it does so too quickly. It shouldn't rank you 20 something games in, or however fast it is (i remember it being fast). I believe true skill was adjusted in later iterations and i feel like it still needs some serious fine tuning.

In Halo in particular true skill promoted far too much camping, far far too much camping. It also made kids start new names so they could play from scratch against bad kids and build up a good win/loss rate early.

I see true skill being applied to this game to a horrible outcome. This is how a room full of no gens get matched up against multiple gens of 8s or even two 10s. I've seen the most ridiculous combos and i have to conclude part of it is because true skill ranks these gens without any consideration to time actually played.

For 2 teams of 6 players, it would take around 68 games to accurately determine a player's TrueSkill(assuming I did my math correctly). TrueSkill is much better suited to free for all gamemodes with 8 or more players, as it only takes 3 games played to determine TrueSkill. The issues you have with it are mostly because Halo 3 used a modified TrueSkill curve that allowed players to feel as if they were progressing in skill. It was broken because a skill determination system shouldn't be the primary progression system.

Titanfall seems to use a very loose TrueSkill system, that also has a slight weight on games played. I say slight, because it's there, but only when the population is there also. When I say loose TrueSkill, it looks at the data and selects someone close to your skill within a very wide range. I know Halo 3 rejected matched that were more than 10 away from your TrueSkill value. Having said all that, TrueSkill isn't as good as other systems like Starcraft where things like APM, units lost, and loads of other stuff that isn't strictly W/L.

In my opinion, time played isn't something to go off of either. I spent way too many games in the non-ranked Reach playlists getting screwed over by the even looser TrueSkill that existed there. I will admit though, you could make a good argument for it simply because time played in Titanfall also comes with unlocks to better weapons and such. I'm just not a huge fan of it based on Reach.

I love this game, but sad to say I do think it's pretty dead on PC these days:

Was like this from the start of the match. Not a single person joined the entire game. Been playing for the last week again and it's been harder and harder to find full matches. Forget about it during the day.

I haven't played since I moved out, but damn. My old roommate still plays it a fair amount and he says he doesn't have trouble finding matches.

Even after the updates, I feel like the R-101c Carbine is still the best gun. The Hemlock still seems to take 3 hits to kill someone, and in that long of a time period, you would have killed them with the Carbine anyway.

I'm played a lot of this game (gen 8, almost 100 hours) and still the guns just don't feel that great. And even after trying all the guns through regen challenges, I never feel compelled to switch away from the Carbine. That's a real problem for this game. In COD, there's always a way to switch weapons and play styles, but I do not feel that way for this game (outside of the Titan weapons).

TrueGrime

Even after the updates, I feel like the R-101c Carbine is still the best gun. The Hemlock still seems to take 3 hits to kill someone, and in that long of a time period, you would have killed them with the Carbine anyway.

I'm played a lot of this game (gen 8, almost 100 hours) and still the guns just don't feel that great. And even after trying all the guns through regen challenges, I never feel compelled to switch away from the Carbine. That's a real problem for this game. In COD, there's always a way to switch weapons and play styles, but I do not feel that way for this game (outside of the Titan weapons).

I thought the same way too for a very long time. Then I started experimenting with the SMG's. Been an SMG person since CoD and thought I'd give it a shot. I am in love with the CAR SMG with counterweight. Sucks at a distance, but medium to close range you already have the advantage with not needing to use ADS to dead on shots.

http://xboxclips.com/video.php?uid=...jjam&vid=7a97700c-40a2-42d5-9c7a-e213eaa2cc1a

TrueGrime

BTW, told the Brehs that I'd put this up. We had a ball at these gamertags.

After the Breh's steamrolled through this team for about three/four maps it became a fact that even Jack Bauer's ANGER wasn't even enough to save the day. 24 has officially been cancelled. Also, unfortunately for that team, they were not the heroes that Titanfall deserved or needed. :p

Alx

I thought the same way too for a very long time. Then I started experimenting with the SMG's. Been an SMG person since CoD and thought I'd give it a shot. I am in love with the CAR SMG with counterweight. Sucks at a distance, but medium to close range you already have the advantage with not needing to use ADS to dead on shots.

http://xboxclips.com/video.php?uid=...jjam&vid=7a97700c-40a2-42d5-9c7a-e213eaa2cc1a

By the way, does the counterweight only help when you're shooting from the hip, or does it have also benefits while aiming ? Even when it's equipped, I always shoot with ADS out of habit, so if it doesn't help then I'd rather select another upgrade.
I have a similar question for the heavy machine gun and the slammer, it says it's more effective against titans, but if I mostly use it against grunts and pilots, does the slammer help ?

TrueGrime

By the way, does the counterweight only help when you're shooting from the hip, or does it have also benefits while aiming ? Even when it's equipped, I always shoot with ADS out of habit, so if it doesn't help then I'd rather select another upgrade.
I have a similar question for the heavy machine gun and the slammer, it says it's more effective against titans, but if I mostly use it against grunts and pilots, does the slammer helps ?

It's only from the hip. You would have to train yourself to not use your reflex and instinct to ADS. Not an easy task but if you're a good mid-range shot then you've got a chance at good ADS kills. It's the long range shots you stay away from at all costs. As for the Spitfire, I do not believe slammer is effective on grunts/pilots. Don't quote me on that though.

Alx

Thanks, those are interesting stats indeed. It's a good thing also, that will make me use different upgrades depending on the situation.
I think I'll go more often with the extended mag on both CAR and LMG, since I don't rodeo that much (most Titans are equipped with smoke, and since auto-titans can use it now, I rarely go for the kill).

will admit though, you could make a good argument for it simply because time played in Titanfall also comes with unlocks to better weapons and such.

This, this is vital in Titanfall. Time played is more important in this game than Reach or any other TrueSkill based game.

They need a better combination of matchmaking then there currently is. I shouldn't be put on a team where on side is all no gens and the other side has nothing but gens.. makes no damn sense. Trueskill or not how are they doing that?

Doesn't matter. Carbine is better at distance.

Alx

What gen are you Alx?

Gen10- 50 on my main gamertag, I recently started from scratch with a silver one (AlxAg) just to do it again (currently Gen0 - 48, not sure I'll bother passing the gooser challenge again though).
But don't let that fool you, I'm not very good at the game, I just played it a lot at one point. :p

TrueGrime

Doesn't matter. Carbine is better at distance.

Doesn't matter? CAR SMG has better rate of fire, better ammo capacity, better ADS, better hip-fire.. and is still inferior to the Carbine because it's better at a distance? You can easily make up for distance firing (like I do) by using a well place arc grande at a distance and then engaging. You'll still get hits at a distance. You can't make up for the Carbine's weakness at medium/close range in a one on one battle against the CAR SMG.

TrueGrime

Gen10- 50 on my main gamertag, I recently started from scratch with a silver one (AlxAg) just to do it again (currently Gen0 - 48, not sure I'll bother passing the gooser challenge again though).
But don't let that fool you, I'm not very good at the game, I just played it a lot at one point. :p

Doing it over again?? You're insane man.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So when does the patch with the new currency drop again? End of the week? I might try to get back into the game at that point.

Doesn't matter? CAR SMG has better rate of fire, better ammo capacity, better ADS, better hip-fire.. and is still inferior to the Carbine because it's better at a distance? You can easily make up for distance firing (like I do) by using a well place arc grande at a distance and then engaging. You'll still get hits at a distance. You can't make up for the Carbine's weakness at mediDIum/close range in a one on one battle against the CAR SMG.

Youre failing to realize good players mainly engage at a distance. And at close range you could get out strafed anyway.

Lets test it.

add me: i'll gladly get on.

TrueGrime

Youre failing to realize good players mainly engage at a distance. And at close range you could get out strafed anyway.

Lets test it.

LOL. Did you just fucking ask to 1v1 me?

No thanks. It's almost 3am. I'd rather keep the TV off.

A good player knows his weapon enough to engage at the distance that best suits the situation. I'm not sure what you mean by out strafed. If we're at close distance and we both strafe at the same time, I'm going to get out strafed?

Alx

Doing it over again?? You're insane man.

Maybe I am. :D I could have stayed with my main and just play without any challenge, but having objectives and limitations adds some fun. I'll continue while it's fun at least, but I may change back if the new DLC gives enough incentive to play with a maxed out profile.

Upgrading the final levels without the XP multiplier feels sloooow though.

He pretty much called you our breh... In titanfall... The most skilless fps to date >.>

I don't know why you say that. If it's completely skilless why is there a big gap in player ability?

Titanfall has mobility, people tend to suck at very fast paced games. ShadowRun didn't have crazy "aim" skill for the most so you gonna call that skilless? You can get destroyed in ShadowRun (360) if you don't know what you're doing.

Make sense.

Mr Croft

How long did you guys ending up playing? :) Bear's lucky I gave up my spot!

We played about ten more matches then we got matched with some kids from like the U.K and it was laggy as hell. So after we stomped them in hard point we all got off... Then ji66a man got on... Late as usual.

I don't know why you say that. If it's completely skilless why is there a big gap in player ability?

Titanfall has mobility, people tend to suck at very fast paced games. ShadowRun didn't have crazy "aim" skill for the most so you gonna call that skilless? You can get destroyed in ShadowRun (360) if you don't know what you're doing.

Make sense.

Please the only fast paced game that takes skill is unreal and that's fact. Titanfall is too broken on so many levels to even be taken seriously. One gun pretty much runs the game. Satchels are broke, arc grenades are way too beast you can get in a big Titan and clean house... And burn cards lol. You compared shadowrun to titanfall? That comparison is so absurd that I don't even have a joke for it.

Roflobear

Lets test it.

Good players also don't stand around in the open waiting to get shot at long range. Also supposedly using an SMG makes you move slightly faster than using a carbine so not sure what you mean by getting outstrafed.

How long did you guys ending up playing? :) Bear's lucky I gave up my spot!

Dude I feel kinda bad about that. Next time I'll return the favor for sure

TrueGrime

He has no idea what he's talking about. He could strafe and I could stand still with my SMG and still out ADS, out hip-fire, out damage, and out gun if both players shoot at the same time at close range.

Nah man. Don't feel bad. I was getting off anyway. :)

He has no idea what he's talking about. He could strafe and I could stand still with my SMG and still out ADS, out hip-fire, out damage, and out gun if both players shoot at the same time.
)

HUh? We are talking about console right? because unless you have the most insane right thumbstick ability there is no fucking way you beat someone strafing effectively. . Proper aiming on console, which you should know by now is with both thumbsticks.

How are you beating someone just standing there "out ADS" or just hip firing ? Unless maybe you're really just point blank.

TrueGrime

HUh? We are talking about console right? because unless you have the most insane right thumbstick ability there is no fucking way you beat someone moving. Proper aiming on console, which you should know by now is with both thumbsticks.

How are you beating someone just standing there "out ADS" or just hip firing ? Unless maybe you're really just point blank.

In a game where most decent players are always moving and firefights happen on the move, by your logic I must be one terrible fucking player. Against the Carbine I never win a shooting battle where another player and myself are moving. Since most people use the Carbine then I always go negative in every game if I can't beat someone moving, by your logic.

Okay.

In a game where most decent players are always moving and firefights happen on the move, by your logic I must be one terrible fucking player. Against the Carbine I never win a shooting battle where another player and myself are moving. Since most people use the Carbine then I always go negative in every game if I can't beat someone moving, by your logic.

Okay.

sigh... no that's not what i was saying. I don't even know where this convo started anymore.

enjoy your C.A.R lol

Top Bottom