• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT2| Press X To Respawn

garath

We know it's technically a bad weapon compared to others, but in situations were you get in a one v one fight it's annoying to get popped by a last second shot whilst the other play jumps about doing fuck all. It's just so skilless and cheap, makes me just think the player using it is a cheap noob (because they are usually).
Really it reminds me of things like the noob combo in Halo 2 (plasma pistol / BR) or USAS with frag rounds in BF3. Yeh it's in the game, but man it's cheap as fuck and OP.

The smart pistol takes so long to lock on. If you haven't killed the guy by the time it finishes, you probably deserve to die.

Jito

Banned
The smart pistol takes so long to lock on. If you haven't killed the guy by the time it finishes, you probably deserve to die.

Hard to react to a guy behind me not even shooting at me, or do you have eyes in the back of your head?

And really this "you probably deserve to die" response is such a non argument. I don't deserve to die because the devs decided lazy players can get away playing half the game.

A tip though for fellow smart pistol haters, use stims against them. As soon as they start locking onto you in a fight, just turn on stims and their shot won't kill you as you're recharging health. Had so many accusations of cheating from smart pistol bitches thanks to stims.

Why do you people complain about the Smart Pistol? It's so weak vs Pilots. I use it for attrition if I feel like going the minion farming route, but when I see a pilot I could have killed him 3x faster with any other weapon. It's a terrible Pilot vs Pilot gun.

I've never tried it, but all I know is when a skilled player who is good at hopping all the fuck around rapidly uses it, I go down fucking fast. I thought once it was locked on the person was dead as quickly as you can push the mouse button three times?

If an amateur is using it, yeah, they're pretty easy to take down. If a pro is using it, good luck. Again, I see no defense for a multiplayer shooter having a gun that literally doesn't require aiming. And extra fuck the amped version of it.

Again, I haven't tried using it myself. But, the annoying thing to me seems to be the distance. Seeing pilots who have ejected a billion feet into the air locking onto you from a mile away is really annoying. They're so far away I can't shoot them with my gun at any accurate level, but they'll lock onto me and pop my head off no problem.

EDIT: Alright just tried it for the first time. It's a little wonky, but I could definitely see getting good with it. Only got 5 pilot kills, but it was ridiculously easy killing the grunts. Pretty much run around killing grunt rapidly so you can call in your titan and rock the real players. We'll see how it goes once I get that speed/distance perk.

garath

Hard to react to a guy behind me not even shooting at me, or do you have eyes in the back of your head?

And really this "you probably deserve to die" response is such a non argument. I don't deserve to die because the devs decided lazy players can get away playing half the game.

A tip though for fellow smart pistol haters, use stims against them. As soon as they start locking onto you in a fight, just turn on stims and their shot won't kill you as you're recharging health. Had so many accusations of cheating from smart pistol bitches thanks to stims.

Well, to be fair, you said one on one fight like you were dueling someone. So yes, if you can't kill a guy who is just pointing at you for the duration of the lock on then you deserve the death. If you're saying the guy dodging you while keeping the cursor on for the lock is a some "cheap noob" using an OP weapon then your skills should kill them dead with the superior damage of every other weapon.

The assassination from behind is a different story and it can be really potent in that regards, however so is a headshot from behind.

Really sounds like the players that complain about the AWP in CS. A one shot kill weapon is potent but people act like there's no counterplay.

Omega

Banned
Why do you people complain about the Smart Pistol? It's so weak vs Pilots. I use it for attrition if I feel like going the minion farming route, but when I see a pilot I could have killed him 3x faster with any other weapon. It's a terrible Pilot vs Pilot gun.

yeah. I've only encountered one person who actually did something with it.

It's like the sawed off from Gears. it was annoying as hell for maybe one or two kills, but other than that the other guy was always gonna go negative, or barely break even.

Special C

It feels much worse dying instantly from a smart pistol because you don't see it coming, if I'm behind you with a Carbine you're also going to die, it just doesn't feel as bad because you notice being hit by bullets the split second before you die. In reality you are dying a lot faster to a Carbine or CAR.

HelloMeow

It feels much worse dying instantly from a smart pistol because you don't see it coming, if I'm behind you with a Carbine you're also going to die, it just doesn't feel as bad because you notice being hit by bullets the split second before you die. In reality you are dying a lot faster to a Carbine or CAR.

Not at all. If you're moving properly, you can survive most of the time. But not against a smart pistol. Against a smart pistol, it doesn't matter how well you move and you won't know someone is attacking you until you are dead. That's why it's annoying.

TrueGrime

Not at all. If you're moving properly, you can survive most of the time. But not against a smart pistol. Against a smart pistol, it doesn't matter how well you move and you won't know someone is attacking you until you are dead. That's why it's annoying.

That's the nature of the game. You don't have your trusty Titanvoice friend to warn you about threats. A lot of threats are instant death too.

Running along - BOOM. Pilot shotgun death.
Running along - BAM. Run over by a mothafuckin' titan.
Running along - SPLAT. Head exploded by a sniper halfway across the map.
Running along - IRHEKJHRFUIFED. Crushed and humiliated by titanfall.

Gotta' be vigilant.

HelloMeow

That's the nature of the game. You don't have your trusty Titanvoice friend to warn you about threats. A lot of threats are instant death too.

Running along - BOOM. Pilot shotgun death.
Running along - BAM. Run over by a mothafuckin' titan.
Running along - SPLAT. Head exploded by a sniper halfway across the map.
Running along - IRHEKJHRFUIFED. Crushed and humiliated by titanfall.

Gotta' be vigilant.

Most of those you can control and/or require some effort on the opponent's side. If you want to do well with the smart pistol that's also the case, but not when it comes to killing fast and unpredictable players.

TrueGrime

Most of those you can control and/or require some effort on the opponent's side. If you want to do well with the smart pistol that's also the case, but not when it comes to killing fast and unpredictable players.

I hear ya. Still, not everyone is a smart pistol master and 8/10 if they're locking onto a player and the player moves erratically, the smart pistol player is going to react instead of waiting for all his locks. I know many times where smart pistolers get freaked out, manual aim and shoot, miss, and then I turn around and nail them after hearing the shots. That weapon is loud.

Omega

Banned
fuck gen 8.

and fuck the achievement to kill everyone on the evac. i kill all but one guy, and then one of my shitty teammates who go 1-20323 decide now is a good time to get a kill

keezy

Starting to get frustrated playing with pugs. There's always 1-2 people on my team who go 0-And. I basically lose 80% of my matches now.

Starting to get frustrated playing with pugs. There's always 1-2 people on my team who go 0-And. I basically lose 80% of my matches now.

I swear to fuck the worst players are always higher rank than me. How the shit do you regen 10 times and still suck at this game!?

I need to add a bunch of GAF people on Origin so we can wreck some bitches. Seems like most of you play on XOne, though.

Argonomic

One of the devs (Fukida I think) wanted the weapon in the game so it would appeal to new players (aka noobs).

One of the early ideas for Respawn's first game, before we knew we were making a shooter even, was that Frank Gigliotti wanted to be able to kill Todd Sue in the game he worked on.

Frank was not a new player, in fact he worked on COD1, but he couldn't kill Todd very often, even if he got the drop on him.

Eventually as other things solidified this became the idea of a gun that would trade the aim test at the moment of trigger pull with a tracking/hunting test.

The interaction of the smart pistol and grunts developed independently, as did the existence of attrition game mode. These things lead to the smart pistol becoming known more as a newbie gateway.

We erred on the safe side by making the smart pistol a slight bit weaker than the other weapons. Having played with it more, I think there are some ways we can make it stronger without it being lame.

Steve still uses it in playtests sometimes but he doesn't do as well as he would with a more standard weapon.

Jito

Banned
One of the early ideas for Respawn's first game, before we knew we were making a shooter even, was that Frank Gigliotti wanted to be able to kill Todd Sue in the game he worked on.

Frank was not a new player, in fact he worked on COD1, but he couldn't kill Todd very often, even if he got the drop on him.

Eventually as other things solidified this became the idea of a gun that would trade the aim test at the moment of trigger pull with a tracking/hunting test.

The interaction of the smart pistol and grunts developed independently, as did the existence of attrition game mode. These things lead to the smart pistol becoming known more as a newbie gateway.

We erred on the safe side by making the smart pistol a slight bit weaker than the other weapons. Having played with it more, I think there are some ways we can make it stronger without it being lame.

Steve still uses it in playtests sometimes but he doesn't do as well as he would with a more standard weapon.

Please don't ever buff the smart pistol, I'd rather you take it out of the game. Competitive shooters have no place for cheap auto play weapons, completely eliminates skill or learning to aim properly.

AlexTrevelyan

Neo Member
I know this is sorta off topic, but I'm sure everyone remembers how on neogaf every single topic related to Titanfall before it launched would break down into people complaining that it was 6v6.

Yesterday I realized I haven't seen a single person complain about Destiny being 6v6 though. Just one of those things that stands out to me.

The smart pistol is only a weak weapon when wielded by someone who is not mobile. In the hands of someone mobile, it is extremely deadly. Please don't buff.

It would actually be nice if you had some kind of lock-on warning when you have a smart pistol user locking on to you. That is the most annoying aspect - while with traditional weapons you usually have some warning of imminent death (with an initial barrage of fire), the tracking of the smart pistol means that you don't even know that you are about to die until it's already happened.

HelloMeow

Yup. One moment you're flying around in between walls and buildings making you almost impossible to get killed and the next you're dead, because someone with a smart pistol and enhanced targeting happened to look in your general directions for a couple of seconds.

It's silly and definitely one of the reasons I don't feel like playing Titanfall anymore.

Omega

Banned
Yup. One moment you're flying around in between walls and buildings making you almost impossible to get killed and the next you're dead, because someone with a smart pistol and enhanced targeting happened to look in your general directions for a couple of seconds.

It's silly and definitely one of the reasons I don't feel like playing Titanfall anymore.

as opposed to someone using the Carbine looking in your direction for a second killing you?

The idea that somehow the smart pistol is what ruins the game for someone is hilarious. Carbine is the best gun at every range, despite other guns being made specifically for certain ranges.

it's okay when people still use the training wheels even though they have 100 hours in the game. but fuck that guy thats 5-10 with his smart pistol because he killed me once

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
It would actually be nice if you had some kind of lock-on warning when you have a smart pistol user locking on to you. That is the most annoying aspect - while with traditional weapons you usually have some warning of imminent death (with an initial barrage of fire), the tracking of the smart pistol means that you don't even know that you are about to die until it's already happened.

This is my main bitch too. Resistance games showed an icon on the HUD when you got hit with a Bullseye tag, saved my ass many times. Titans are warned when they're being locked on by another Titan or Pilot ... I don't understand why this feature isn't already in the game.

HelloMeow

as opposed to someone using the Carbine looking in your direction for a second killing you?
With any other weapon they have to aim and if you're moving fast and unpredictably they will miss.
The idea that somehow the smart pistol is what ruins the game for someone is hilarious. Carbine is the best gun at every range, despite other guns being made specifically for certain ranges.
I am not saying that.
it's okay when people still use the training wheels even though they have 100 hours in the game. but fuck that guy thats 5-10 with his smart pistol because he killed me once
I'm not saying that either.

With any other weapon they have to aim and if you're moving fast and unpredictably they will miss.

I am not saying that.

I'm not saying that either.

But if there was some kind of lock notification, you would know that what you need to do is in fact break line of sight.

Sucks. Wish I was around more when TitanGAF plays. I had a LTS match last night where I killed 15 Titans on War Games and we still lost :/

I never understood the complaint with the smart pistol. Is this a PC complaint? Because on console i never see anyone dominate with a smart pistol.

I can see it being annoying in attrition mode but everything else? the gun stinks.

my carbine+stim combo is the deadlist thing alive. I'll still kill you even if you see me first, even after you popped me one or two times.

Omega

Banned
I never understood the complaint with the smart pistol. Is this a PC complaint? Because on console i never see anyone dominate with a smart pistol.

I can see it being annoying in attrition mode but everything else? the gun stinks.

my carbine+stim combo is the deadlist thing alive. I'll still kill you even if you see me first, even after you popped me one or two times.

everyone's carbine is the deadliest thing. I've never tried it myself but it's probably the best anti-titan weapon as well

So I played last night for the first time in a while and had fun but I never had full teams. Is this common now? Is there any way to change servers? Like play in west coast or anything? Trying to find a way to maximize players. And I am playing attrition, that's still the most popular right?

So I played last night for the first time in a while and had fun but I never had full teams. Is this common now? Is there any way to change servers? Like play in west coast or anything? Trying to find a way to maximize players. And I am playing attrition, that's still the most popular right?

You can select your data center from the top menu.

I think people are playing destiny I had a 2v2 match at 4pm Friday afternoon. The game should even start without atleast 5v5 in the lobby.

Mr Croft

Hey Croft. What external did you get for your X1.

It is an adata and it is 2TB. Cost like 95 on newegg.

been grinding through Destiny.. it stinks. How is this game gaining hype like this?

....stop just stop right now.

What's up with XBL? Can't see my friends list for shit.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status

They will have an update in half an hour

My two cents about titanfall weapons.... Smart pistol is kinda bull but it is easily avoidable. It is annoying in attraction because the pilot can easily get 60 plus minion kills in a game. The carbine is the weapon that should be fixed. It excels at all ranges near and far and out classes any other weapon in any category except for like the shotgun up close. Mid range and far it recks everything and has little to no kick at all making headshots a breeze. Whenever someone says they are super good at titanfall then say they use the 101c I just turn away. Hemlockz 4 lyfe! Lol

KingV

I know this is sorta off topic, but I'm sure everyone remembers how on neogaf every single topic related to Titanfall before it launched would break down into people complaining that it was 6v6.

Yesterday I realized I haven't seen a single person complain about Destiny being 6v6 though. Just one of those things that stands out to me.

In comparison, destiny often feels empty.

TrueGrime

3Nv63.gif

KingV

As for the smart pistol. I kind of like it. It's a very different way to play. I think of smart pistol as being 100% about positioning against other pilots. Which is interesting. I'm not as twitch skilled as some players, so playing with the smart pistol allows me to focus on getting the drop on other players.

I don't really think its OP, though as you will rarely, if ever win a head to head fight with the smart pistol unless you are very, very good at being agile. Everything else can kill much faster even if you see the other player first.

It makes you focus on tactics instead of reflexes.... Its also good if you prefer to spend time I. Your titans because it mops up bots so quickly.

Jito

Banned
I swear some of the worst FPS players of all time enjoy Titanfall for some reason. Just played with a Gen 5 dude going 0 to 15, how is anyone that inept at a shooter?

Omega

Banned

because Titanfall isn't on PS4.

I swear some of the worst FPS players of all time enjoy Titanfall for some reason. Just played with a Gen 5 dude going 0 to 15, how is anyone that inept at a shooter?

reminds me of these shitty Gen 10s I played with for one game, and against two other matches.

They had like 5 kills combined in all those matches.

The thought that they both got 50 MVPs scared me. how the fuck could anyone possible be worse than them, that they were able to get that many MVPs.

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs

Yeah my performance in TitanFall is way higher than any other game I've played.
I've played every single Call of Duty and had about a 3-4 K/D and 65% win rate in each.

In Titanfall I have a 8 pilot K/D and 90% Win rate. I think part of this reason is that a bad player can't just camp in a corner and surprise kill you when you walk around a corner. There is also a lack of cheap equipment for bad players to use. I don't think I've actually died by an Arc Mine whilst they were frequent in Black Ops 2 for example.
The movement system really allows you to outclass other players.

TrueGrime

I don't know if the player is just shit or if they're trying to grind a challenge. However, even if I'm trying to grind challenges I at least get one fucking kill.

diaspora

I've never tried it, but all I know is when a skilled player who is good at hopping all the fuck around rapidly uses it, I go down fucking fast. I thought once it was locked on the person was dead as quickly as you can push the mouse button three times?

If an amateur is using it, yeah, they're pretty easy to take down. If a pro is using it, good luck. Again, I see no defense for a multiplayer shooter having a gun that literally doesn't require aiming. And extra fuck the amped version of it.

Again, I haven't tried using it myself. But, the annoying thing to me seems to be the distance. Seeing pilots who have ejected a billion feet into the air locking onto you from a mile away is really annoying. They're so far away I can't shoot them with my gun at any accurate level, but they'll lock onto me and pop my head off no problem.

EDIT: Alright just tried it for the first time. It's a little wonky, but I could definitely see getting good with it. Only got 5 pilot kills, but it was ridiculously easy killing the grunts. Pretty much run around killing grunt rapidly so you can call in your titan and rock the real players. We'll see how it goes once I get that speed/distance perk.

Grunt killing with it is damn easy, but having used all day I can't see it being a good Pilot v Pilot weapon.

Top Bottom