• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT2| Press X To Respawn

RonanN1

Banned
...another one :( but this time is different:

I'm having trouble with it's a trap. I playes 10 matches, on export, killed ~ 7 pilots and some grunts , with the electric wave, and NOTHING. I got the message (kill message) that was electrecution but NOTHING. No progess (on the ach. list) and no unlock after the match. What the hell :/

Izuna

Banned
Good god this theatre 🎦 is not worth my Titanfall time.

No subtitles, so I have to explain what they are saying to her.

🎭

tauke

🎭

Was having trouble identifying the symbol at first glance and just noticed it is the drama mask.

Well when I thought my ISP fixes the uber lag issue and it creeps back after 20 mins of gameplay... even having more lag than SmallWind aka Z3RO_GAME from US haha.

Montresor

I'm at level 47 gen 7 and I just finished all the challenges... damn it has been ridiculously addictive finishing all these challenges. Just a few more attrition matches and I should be gen 8 finally.

...another one :( but this time is different:

I'm having trouble with it's a trap. I playes 10 matches, on export, killed ~ 7 pilots and some grunts , with the electric wave, and NOTHING. I got the message (kill message) that was electrecution but NOTHING. No progess (on the ach. list) and no unlock after the match. What the hell :/

Can you let us know what that achievement looks like on Smartglass? I.E. if on Smartglass it has a 100% counter?

Montresor

This is a bug we're working on. It should never disconnect you if you're not afk.

Nice to see Argonomic. Two other things that I think might be an issue:

1) This might be a bug related only to gen 7, but for some reason once I got to gen 7, any time I tried to track a challenge, the challenge would become un-tracked when a match started. I.E. I want to track Fresh Squeezed and check my progress on that challenge during a match, since that challenge is required to move onto gen 8. But I can't do this since the challenge becomes un-tracked during a match.

2) Also, sometimes I scroll through a new burn card, and when I hit B to go back, there is still a "NEW" message next to the burn card selection. It makes house-keeping in between matches pretty annoying sometimes. I want to look through new burn cards and get rid of the "NEW" label on my menu, but I have to go in and out of the menu multiple times before I get can get rid of it.

This is a bug we're working on. It should never disconnect you if you're not afk.

Just for the record I have had a few of those disconnects over the months, I could be leading half way into a MP match with no lag to suddenly get kicked to the menu, happened about 5 times in total but annoying when it does.

Izuna

Banned
good thing you collect all those pennies right

If she enjoyed it, that would be okay, but she thought it wasn't as good as she thought it would be. I mean, brilliant actors and amazing singing, but that story is meh in comparison.

--

Set aside hours for Dishonored tonight, and since I am not impressed at all, I might play up some Titanfall or binge through Ace Attorney.

Argonomic

Core abilities were locked for balancing purposes, I think one of the devs explained it a while back in the first OT.

Also readability. Core abilities came in really late in dev, and were very controversial because they add another layer of complexity.

By keeping them consistent to the chassis, it allows you to anticipate a Titan's action and makes it read. When you see hear a Stryder's core warming up, you don't have to spend extra time trying to figure out which Core he has, which lets you make more meaningful counter-play decisions.

Counterplay/customization/readability all push and pull on each other like this.

Argonomic

Just for the record I have had a few of those disconnects over the months, I could be leading half way into a MP match with no lag to suddenly get kicked to the menu, happened about 5 times in total but annoying when it does.

That may or more not be related. The bug of being disconnected when you're hanging out in a private lobby is pretty new. It is probably a side effect of adding so much in the Updates we've been doing. We've been making a lot more changes than in games I've shipped in the past, where we mainly avoided changing anything (aside from fixing bugs).

Tawpgun

Also readability. Core abilities came in really late in dev, and were very controversial because they add another layer of complexity.

By keeping them consistent to the chassis, it allows you to anticipate a Titan's action and makes it read. When you see hear a Stryder's core warming up, you don't have to spend extra time trying to figure out which Core he has, which lets you make more meaningful counter-play decisions.

Counterplay/customization/readability all push and pull on each other like this.

YESSSSSS. You should tell this to the halo 4 devs too :p

I wouldn't mind it in customs only but never in the base game.

Too many games go LOL RANDOM with encounters. My only wish for titanfall 2 is better more consistent feeling weapons and a cleaner art style. The visual and audio cues are great in combat, but the visual style is overwhelming. Can be hard to pick out pilots in combat, especially around grunts

Argonomic

Nice to see Argonomic. Two other things that I think might be an issue:

1) This might be a bug related only to gen 7, but for some reason once I got to gen 7, any time I tried to track a challenge, the challenge would become un-tracked when a match started.

2) Also, sometimes I scroll through a new burn card, and when I hit B to go back, there is still a "NEW" message next to the burn card selection.

I'll look into #1 and see if that's a known issue. #2 is a known issue. It started when I refactored some of the burn card functionality as part of the recent burn card improvements (more cards in the deck, more cards per gen, titan burn cards, etc).

Thanks.

Argonomic

My only wish for titanfall 2 is better more consistent feeling weapons and a cleaner art style. The visual and audio cues are great in combat, but the visual style is overwhelming. Can be hard to pick out pilots in combat, especially around grunts

Making the pilots and grunts blend together was a conscious design choice. The intent was to promote movement. If you blend in, you aren't acquired as rapidly as a target, and you aren't punished for being out in the open, taking advantage of the core motion model feature.

Later in the project we started to push them apart visually, and we could push them a lot farther. We protected the motion model more than it turned out to need. This didn't become obvious until players became really comfortable with the motion model though.

tauke

Hi Argonomic. Is there a way to check the overall status of a data center?

Me and some Aussies players have been experiencing really bad ping with the South East Asia server for the past few days. Well we can play with different server but the high ping of 300+ can be unpredictable.

Prior to this incident, my average ping is 30-50ms with my Aussies friends at 90-120ms. Now the ping is minimum 150ms and can go up to 400ms.

Tomash

Will Titanfall ever have fun gamemodes? For example, Pilots with Titan weapons. Ricochet/Uplink from Halo 4/Advanced Warfare. Clustercluck - Quad Rocket shoots chickens instead of rockets. Gun game. Etc.

tauke

Will Titanfall ever have fun gamemodes? For example, Pilots with Titan weapons. Ricochet/Uplink from Halo 4/Advanced Warfare. Clustercluck - Quad Rocket shoots chickens instead of rockets. Gun game. Etc.

If there is one thing I wish they will put in future updates is Burn Card that allows the player to play as Bish, Sarah, Blisk, Spyglass, Barker, Graves or MacAllan.

It will be fun especially to see Bish wallrunning around the map and make other players laugh while they get killed in the process.

Novelty game modes or weapons are fun for a day like the rabbit head thing in gears 3 beta, but they do get old quickly.

I would love to see burn cards which give your AI titan something unique when you use it on AI mode.

Pilot skins need to be revised IMO, I love using spectre cards for fun but they last seconds and you die, they don't work well as camo at all. It would be nice to use the new currency to buy skins or allow camo burn cards which last for the entire match but are used up at the end, maybe?

Jito

Banned
U7YdpBY.jpg

Amazing matchmaking still at it on PC. Game started 2 v 2 then players joined the other team making it 6 v 2 til 2 minutes from the end, we lost because of this unbalanced shit. GG Respawn, why do I even bother defending this game in the hate threads? It's shoddy shit.

tauke

Amazing matchmaking still at it on PC. Game started 2 v 2 then players joined the other team making it 6 v 2 til 2 minutes from the end, we lost because of this unbalanced shit. GG Respawn, why do I even bother defending this game in the hate threads? It's shoddy shit.

Was about to post this too lol.

Here is my contribution with appropriate chat remarks:

hYxw9K8.jpg

Dear Respawn, at least let us know if the opposite team is actually in a party with a colour label. Hate to see such thing happen when it started out 2 vs 2 and matchmaking says we are leading hence must be counterbalance (if that is how the algorithm works).

Edit: Just for extra remarks, I'm willing to play at 400+ ping! Just to show I can trust the game connection but not the matchmaking in action...

Jito

Banned
Bet we'll never see a Respawn guy explaining this one or we'll get "We're constantly improving matchmaking". Really tired of this piss poor matchmaking now, no other game using matchmaking has had such huge problems.

Omega

Banned

wut

Have you seen a titan weapon? it's twice the size of a pilot.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

I'm still waiting for Titan jumpkicking

Bydobob

Bet we'll never see a Respawn guy explaining this one or we'll get "We're constantly improving matchmaking". Really tired of this piss poor matchmaking now, no other game using matchmaking has had such huge problems.

Only Respawn can really say what is going on here but my guess is the MM only has a small pool of top players to choose from, and if two of them are in the same team then the only way it can combat it is by stacking player numbers against you. Had you and tauke not been in a party yourselves you would no doubt have found yourselves on opposing sides with even numbered teams. How were the teams shuffled after this match?

RonanN1

Banned
Oh and add to the list: I killed Them All. I just "killed Them All" a few minutes ago and NOTHING. 4 pilots...face to face...bam bam :)) (it was a 5 on 4 match).

oh man! :(

Special C

Oh and add to the list: I killed Them All. I just "killed Them All" a few minutes ago and NOTHING. 4 pilots...face to face...bam bam :)) (it was a 5 on 4 match).

oh man! :(

So I checked yesterday and my "It's Trap" finally showed up unlocked, says it unlocked on 8/1. Apparently even the ones thats don't track progress will unlock eventually if you met the requirements earlier.

Also, are u sure you killed them all? I killed the entire other team once but one I killed so early in evac that he respawned.

Then a foolish Titanbreh killed him again *grumble*

RonanN1

Banned
Yes I'm sure because there was 4 pilots :D and I've kill them all at point blank (or what's that expression).

Well...I guess I'll try it again :D

RonanN1

Banned
I want ALL the maps in one big pack. I don't like to switch :/ why is that? The servers can't handle the load? lol.

Or something like a filter....when I want to search for a match to ONLY search for maps A,B,C.

Swicth cards between party members, etc.

Omega

Banned
Or something like a filter....when I want to search for a match to ONLY search for maps A,B,C.

does any game besides battlefield and CS do this?

if cod doesn't do it, most games aren't gonna do it. safe to say it's never making it into titanfall

Tawpgun

Making the pilots and grunts blend together was a conscious design choice. The intent was to promote movement. If you blend in, you aren't acquired as rapidly as a target, and you aren't punished for being out in the open, taking advantage of the core motion model feature.

Later in the project we started to push them apart visually, and we could push them a lot farther. We protected the motion model more than it turned out to need. This didn't become obvious until players became really comfortable with the motion model though.

Makes sense. I just love the movement and titans of titanfall but I've never been a big fan of the grunts. An pilot only mode would be sweet, unfortunately the player count isn't high enough. It'd be interesting if they had a MOBA like mode too, where you have to protect your grunts or specters to an enemy base or something

Rayme

Dear Respawn, at least let us know if the opposite team is actually in a party with a colour label. Hate to see such thing happen when it started out 2 vs 2 and matchmaking says we are leading hence must be counterbalance (if that is how the algorithm works).

Edit: Just for extra remarks, I'm willing to play at 400+ ping! Just to show I can trust the game connection but not the matchmaking in action...

Only Respawn can really say what is going on here but my guess is the MM only has a small pool of top players to choose from, and if two of them are in the same team then the only way it can combat it is by stacking player numbers against you. Had you and tauke not been in a party yourselves you would no doubt have found yourselves on opposing sides with even numbered teams. How were the teams shuffled after this match?

Alright, alright. Buckle up.

Current matchmaking works best when a lot of people are trying to play at once on the same playlist in the same datacenter. It's doing a ton of work, and you don't really see any problems (for example) early in the evening on high-pop datacenters in popular game modes. But 2am CTF in a lower-population datacenter? Oh here go hell come. Because it's so "team-focused" - searching for a team to put you on, not necessarily for a match to be a part of - the system can be too fragile if you're in a lower-population datacenter/playlist. It's partly why you can see a 4v3 game get 2 new players to become 6v3 and stay that way, instead of becoming 4v5 and filling up from there.

So the upcoming changes (should be next patch) add a lot more to this. The matchmaker is able to be much more focused on whole games, and will trust game servers to put their players on the best teams as they arrive. We're also giving the matchmaker a LOT more info about games in progress, so it'll have the ability to make more nuanced decisions, and we'll be able to adjust things on the fly. That'll let us hotfix any matchmaking issues we see if/when they pop up, but more importantly we can iterate and improve the system from then on without waiting for a whole new game patch to be packaged, certified, and released to the public.

There's a lot of other changes to it. But, basically:
-You'll find and be in a match more quickly.
-Games will tend to be more full from the get-go (we spread people too thin, sometimes, and that can make it feel like "nobody else is playing").
-Teams will be more balanced (in number and in skill).
-We can tweak things on our end to keep improving them without interrupting you.

People who've only ever played at high population in constant 6v6 games won't really notice a difference (lazy devs amirite). Those of us off the beaten should. It'll also feel (accurately) like a lot more people are playing in your corner of the game.

Izuna

Banned
Alright, alright. Buckle up.

Just from your opinion... Does this mean having a party of six will no longer make it impossible to lose, and being solo will no longer have unwinnable matches every so often due to absolutely unbalanced teams?

These are problems that simply weren't there when Titanfall was new.

Top Bottom