• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT2| Press X To Respawn

Killer

Banned
Alright, alright. Buckle up.

Current matchmaking works best when a lot of people are trying to play at once on the same playlist in the same datacenter. It's doing a ton of work, and you don't really see any problems (for example) early in the evening on high-pop datacenters in popular game modes. But 2am CTF in a lower-population datacenter? Oh here go hell come. Because it's so "team-focused" - searching for a team to put you on, not necessarily for a match to be a part of - the system can be too fragile if you're in a lower-population datacenter/playlist. It's partly why you can see a 4v3 game get 2 new players to become 6v3 and stay that way, instead of becoming 4v5 and filling up from there.

So the upcoming changes (should be next patch) add a lot more to this. The matchmaker is able to be much more focused on whole games, and will trust game servers to put their players on the best teams as they arrive. We're also giving the matchmaker a LOT more info about games in progress, so it'll have the ability to make more nuanced decisions, and we'll be able to adjust things on the fly. That'll let us hotfix any matchmaking issues we see if/when they pop up, but more importantly we can iterate and improve the system from then on without waiting for a whole new game patch to be packaged, certified, and released to the public.

There's a lot of other changes to it. But, basically:
-You'll find and be in a match more quickly.
-Games will tend to be more full from the get-go (we spread people too thin, sometimes, and that can make it feel like "nobody else is playing").
-Teams will be more balanced (in number and in skill).
-We can tweak things on our end to keep improving them without interrupting you.

People who've only ever played at high population in constant 6v6 games won't really notice a difference (lazy devs amirite). Those of us off the beaten should. It'll also feel (accurately) like a lot more people are playing in your corner of the game.

Thanks for the explanation. Wish more developer do this. You guys are awesome!
When is TF2?

Bydobob

Because it's so "team-focused" - searching for a team to put you on, not necessarily for a match to be a part of - the system can be too fragile if you're in a lower-population datacenter/playlist. It's partly why you can see a 4v3 game get 2 new players to become 6v3 and stay that way, instead of becoming 4v5 and filling up from there.

Thanks for the explanation, although I'm a little confused by this part. Does this mean the MM took no account of Jito and tauke's skill level (and presumably the fact they were dominating) before deciding where to place the new players?

Welfare

Hey Rayme, will Respawn ever add a Population counter to playlists? I would like to know if I will be able to find a match fast at certain times, and know if I am going to go into a low populated match.

Montresor

I had Dig Site Connoisseur and Dig Site Victor both stuck at Locked 100% for around 1+ week at around the time achievement glitches seemed to affect tons and tons of people. This was near the beginning of August. Eventually Microsoft fixed it and both Dig Site Connoisseur and Dig Site Victor unlocked for me.

Looks like you have two achievements stuck at 100% locked... sucks. In the past this would occasionally happen to me, and if it ever did, it would always unlock on its own, sometimes while I'm asleep, while the Xbox is off, about two days later.

If I ran across this it always unlocked two days later, except in the beginning of August, when there was a persistent bug affecting loads of people.

I'd say just wait two days but I think it's been more than two days for you already. Sorry man.

tauke

*lots of valuable feedback regarding matchmaking in Titanfall*

Glad to hear it will be constantly improve behind the scenes.

I understand the game population is not as active during the launch week (which is really fun to me as there is always a full lobby and most players are still new to the game mechanics).

So the odd moment where 2 vs 6 until late into the game (where there is finally players who connected to my team only to be greeted with DEFEATED) is well not that fun.

Jito

Banned

Thanks for actually responding but I still don't understand why this means we have to put up with 2 vs 6 games? It was late afternoon on EU West Hardpoint on a Sunday, hardly CTF on Asia at 2 in the morning on a weekday. It's pretty poor matchmaking to put players into games based on searching for teams instead of just empty slots, why do we get punished for playing together and having higher stats in the first place? We've also seen plenty of "next update fixes matchmaking" already for this to mean nothing, I'll believe it when we see it.

I want ALL the maps in one big pack. I don't like to switch :/ why is that? The servers can't handle the load? lol.

Or something like a filter....when I want to search for a match to ONLY search for maps A,B,C.

Swicth cards between party members, etc.
If you just play Attrition or Variety Pack or whatever mode you prefer you will see the new maps as well. They're in all of the playlists and will appear if everyone has them installed. I think it may even kick people if the majority of players have the maps, but that's just anecdotal and I'd need someone from Respawn to confirm that.

T.O.P

Banned
Railgun and SMG is making my G3 regen going EXTREMELY slow =_=

i fear the gen that will have sniper rifle challenges...i suck even more with that lol

Alx

The sniper rifle challenges require a lower kill count, so they're not that hard to reach. I even managed to get good scores for my team when doing those, since you get to kill a lot of grunts without always getting easily spotted.

tauke

Railgun and SMG is making my G3 regen going EXTREMELY slow =_=

i fear the gen that will have sniper rifle challenges...i suck even more with that lol

As Alx said above, the weapon upgrade unlock for sniper rifle is pretty low.

For the minions, it is best to find a nice high ground and snipe them away. For pilots, use scope with nearer zoom range and go hunt them at close range as the bullet damage is pretty high.

I rarely manage to kill pilots from long distance due to how fast they move (unless we talk about complete newbie who might stand still to shoot minions).

Mr Croft

Really? I know the rail gun can be slightly annoying but the r97 too? That gun got a decent patch and it much better than before. I mean it's no carbine but no gun is lol.

Titanfall is not working well for me today, not played for a few days but it's not finding a single match and timing me out 10 seconds after logging in, 2:30pm on a monday in the UK surely someone is playing.

Current matchmaking works best when a lot of people are trying to play at once on the same playlist in the same datacenter. It's doing a ton of work, and you don't really see any problems (for example) early in the evening on high-pop datacenters in popular game modes. But 2am CTF in a lower-population datacenter? Oh here go hell come. Because it's so "team-focused" - searching for a team to put you on, not necessarily for a match to be a part of - the system can be too fragile if you're in a lower-population datacenter/playlist. It's partly why you can see a 4v3 game get 2 new players to become 6v3 and stay that way, instead of becoming 4v5 and filling up from there.

So the upcoming changes (should be next patch) add a lot more to this. The matchmaker is able to be much more focused on whole games, and will trust game servers to put their players on the best teams as they arrive. We're also giving the matchmaker a LOT more info about games in progress, so it'll have the ability to make more nuanced decisions, and we'll be able to adjust things on the fly. That'll let us hotfix any matchmaking issues we see if/when they pop up, but more importantly we can iterate and improve the system from then on without waiting for a whole new game patch to be packaged, certified, and released to the public.

-Games will tend to be more full from the get-go (we spread people too thin, sometimes, and that can make it feel like "nobody else is playing").
-We can tweak things on our end to keep improving them without interrupting you.

People who've only ever played at high population in constant 6v6 games won't really notice a difference (lazy devs amirite). Those of us off the beaten should. It'll also feel (accurately) like a lot more people are playing in your corner of the game.

I just want to say that despite the continuing complaints (and it's still not perfect) the matchmaking is a massive improvement since launch and you guys have done a great job to this point. My match are far more evenly matched and enjoyable now with the one caveat being occasionally screwed over by player counts.

Been away from Neogaf for a longish time now (not a ban just self-imposed due to work).

How is the PC version holding up? Are matches easily found? I am an all-or-nothing online gamer and I haven't put any time in for a couple of months. I am keen to start again shortly but was concerned about player numbers.

garath

Been away from Neogaf for a longish time now (not a ban just self-imposed due to work).

How is the PC version holding up? Are matches easily found? I am an all-or-nothing online gamer and I haven't put any time in for a couple of months. I am keen to start again shortly but was concerned about player numbers.

I find matches very quickly on PC. I've only been playing Attrition thus far though.

HelloMeow

It depends. On time of day, but it also randomly takes a long time.

Obscured

It still would help to have some more noticeable color to differentiate. Especially when they're standing still in a crowd.

Doesn't change how fun the game is, it would just be a QOL fix.

The ibky one who tricked me from time to time is the male shotgun pilot. He looks exactly like a grunt on militia side

Making the pilots and grunts blend together was a conscious design choice. The intent was to promote movement. If you blend in, you aren't acquired as rapidly as a target, and you aren't punished for being out in the open, taking advantage of the core motion model feature.

Later in the project we started to push them apart visually, and we could push them a lot farther. We protected the motion model more than it turned out to need. This didn't become obvious until players became really comfortable with the motion model though.

Thanks for the insight. I actually like that, even though I don't use them to blend in. It makes it so you can't just completely ignore the grunts and they can be some sort of threat even if just as camo. I've only really lost a shotgun pilot in the midst which works out well as that is a person with short range finding a way across the open areas of the map.

Speaking of minion threats we had a pilot hunter game the other night that was 50 - 1. Turned out that one kill was from a grunt, it didn't even come from the other team and it was a melee. That was one bad ass grunt. He deserves to be promoted to a pilot.

Good to know you guys are still working on it. Since we've been playing in a group so often it becomes a less of an issue, but it starts to feel almost unfair against other people. I think in all of the games I've played with the brehs we've lost three. The last one we shouldn't have, but we were rolling so hard before I think we got complacent and didn't put on our tryhard pants until too late (Although we got our revenge in the next game).

Sometimes I wish we weren't in party chat so we could give some words of encouragement to some of the people we play against. (That isn't code for trash talking them, I'm being serious). I hope we aren't destroying them so badly they don't want to play. I've never been one that want to make people rage quit or stop playing, I'd rather they want to get better and present more of a challenge. Also playing solo so much last gen I've been on the receiving end of that. I think I've only been asked to snap my disc in half and throw my xbox out the window once but that didn't fill me with a warm fuzzy feeling or desire to get better, it made me wonder what the hell is wrong with people. Luckily my positive experiences have greatly outweighed anything negative.

Do you Respawn guys ever play your own game? Do you get to enjoy what you've made or are you burnt out on it or too busy? Appreciate you taking time to give some insight here when you can.

Mr Croft

buff grunts.

I'll never understand why some games have bots and put them on dumbass mode.

have you played a private game with them on max settings? Go do that first then come back here and try and say that same thing. Those grunts shoot better then 40% of the TF population on x1 lol.

Man, did they nerf the arc cannon? Seems weak as fuck these last two days. Maybe I am just regressing.

LOL, this guy got pissed as FUUUUUUCK in the lobby after I did this. Were you guys aware there is some unwritten Titanfall code against nuke ejecting behind someone in an evac? brehs?

Rematch, why? I don't think I have used a single one since the beta.

Oh shit! I just realized the ColdSnap76 Rematch guy was the guy in another lobby later who my team beat outnumbered 3 on 4 in a LTS match and he got angry said I'm garbage and left LOL.

More and more people seem to be using their mics in TF, it's great.

have you played a private game with them on max settings? Go do that first then come back here and try and say that same thing. Those grunts shoot better then 40% of the TF population on x1 lol.

Wait you can set the grunts to hard in private games? I need to try this!

Can you private match alone?

Montresor

How long would 100 wins take if you had a 100% win record?

I'm at gen 8 level 40 and I only have 9 wins, I believe. I have a 44% win record overall after 700+ Titanfall matches. But I think that's a little negatively skewed due to some achievement and challenge hunting. I.E. In gen 6 I was an absolutely cancerous teammate focused on nothing other than rodeing titans.

Obscured

Man, did they nerf the arc cannon? Seems weak as fuck these last two days. Maybe I am just regressing.

LOL, this guy got pissed as FUUUUUUCK in the lobby after I did this. Were you guys aware there is some unwritten Titanfall code against nuke ejecting behind someone in an evac? brehs?

Rematch, why? I don't think I have used a single one since the beta.

Arc cannon wasn't feeling as easy mode to me either the other night. Not sure there was any change or if I was just being dumb (I was slightly intoxicated so I'm guessing dumb).

And that was how I started off getting nuke eject kills, also hilarious. Fair game I say. The alternative is just letting them happily destroy your evac ship.

Definitely my most heated flag run this game.

Worst part is that I "got kicked from Live", even though I wasn't. Guy in the Stryder sent me hate mail too.

Nice run, I especially like that you used the enemy Stryder to get higher ground for the run.

Wait you can set the grunts to hard in private games? I need to try this!

Can you private match alone?

Sadly you can't private match alone. I want to just to run around the maps.

As far as harder grunts I want a gametype - Elite Grunts where they are set to badass mode and hunt down pilots and your only option is to try to run from them better than the other team (I don't want this as the main gametype obviously).

Also I've been trying to remind myself how to use illustrator lately and someone said a while back there should be a brehs insignia, so here was my attempt at that.

rf43QTk.png

I got lazy and didn't feel like redrawing the titan weapons so I fudged that part. Maybe I'll go back if I get motivated again.

Izuna

Banned

I'm at gen 8 level 40 and I only have 9 wins, I believe. I have a 44% win record overall after 700+ Titanfall matches. But I think that's a little negatively skewed due to some achievement and challenge hunting. I.E. In gen 6 I was an absolutely cancerous teammate focused on nothing other than rodeing titans.

I calculated this when I was Gen 8 and I think it was a long ass time. This was before when Attrition was 10 minutes at 250 sure.

3 mins in lobby + ~12mins per game... 15 x 100 is 1500 minutes.

1500 / 60 means 25 hours.

My win rate was 96% and it took me 30 hours, haha.

--

For Gen 9 I played only CTF and was MVP 49/first 50. I recommend you play attack purely.

Ji66a-Man

Find a good team and play Marked for Death. Once you get on a roll, MFD matches go by fast.

tauke

There is still players on PC but again depending on region and time of day and game mode and etc etc.

Due to my ISP recent notorious ping issue to Azure server, I'm putting Titanfall on hold but the game is still fun if the matchmaking works fairly.

Tawpgun

I'm coming back home to my xbone today and titanfall! What's the deal with this breh thing? Is it like my old halo dong squads? If so sign me up

Gt: Tawpgun

Alx

What does it take to get cheaters banned? These two 2 scumbags (I LIKE LIFE and Google McFoogle) consistently use glitches to get under or outside the map. I caught them twice last week on Relic and Overlook, then my friends ran into them on Nexus.

I can't even imagine why they would do that... I can understand cheaters in a FPS using god mode or wall hacks to simulate higher skills than their opponents or just mess with them, but where's the fun in hiding in a hole, doing nothing ?
At least if they're doing it consistently, maybe guys from Respawn can track them and watch how they're doing it, in order to patch the bug.

silentQ

This is weird. I admittedly haven't played Titanfall for a couple of months but I decided to flip it on yesterday coincidentally after a Graphics Driver update(Geforce 340.52 driver.) As soon as I booted the game up I got to the menus and the game was running in slow mo like must have been single digits or teens FPS and the game just gets stuck after hitting play on the menu. This game ran perfectly on high settings for me previously. My specs are i5 overclocked to 4.2GHZ, Geforce GTX 760, 8GB DDR3 Ram. Did something happen to this game besides DLC that broke it since I have been gone?

HelloMeow

This is weird. I admittedly haven't played Titanfall for a couple of months but I decided to flip it on yesterday coincidentally after a Graphics Driver update(Geforce 340.52 driver.) As soon as I booted the game up I got to the menus and the game was running in slow mo like must have been single digits or teens FPS and the game just gets stuck after hitting play on the menu. This game ran perfectly on high settings for me previously. My specs are i5 overclocked to 4.2GHZ, Geforce GTX 760, 8GB DDR3 Ram. Did something happen to this game besides DLC that broke it since I have been gone?

Are you using Afterburner, or something similar? That probably causes it.

Mr Croft

sometimes a group of GAFers that team up every night and beat up on randoms at Variety Pack. 1st come 1st serve usually around 8-9PM US Central.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DTMRlxSrjuHvQS1UjxqBc4I1G_ftL8L6A4DVnr76cQ4/edit?usp=sharing

fixed lol. Most of the time its a bunch of no GAF randoms taking up space in the lobbies. That stuff needs to be stopped because its already out of hand..... Anyway you can have my spot ( which means nothing because of non GAF draft picks) because I'm on the Diablo train until destiny.

Top Bottom