• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMNT: Out of the Shadows |OT| What's wrong with your face?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Who makes a game like this and sets the camera so close to the character that you can't see who and what is around him?
Who makes a game like this that doesn't create some sort of lock-on system similar to the Batman games?
I've only played the demo for about 15 minutes but that's enough to realize that having to control the camera during a battle and not being able to lock onto an enemy is something I'm not intersted in playing.

chris121580

Who makes a game like this and sets the camera so close to the character that you can see who and what is around him?
Who makes a game like this that doesn't create some sort of lock-on system similar to the Batman games?
I've only played the demo for about 15 minutes but that's enough to realize that having to control the camera during a battle and not being able to lock onto an enemy is something I'm not intersted in playing.

I brought up the first issue you mentioned months ago when they started showing gameplay. The camera looked way too close. Too bad they didn't fix it

Platy

Look !
Steam has alternate skins as a code !!! =D

....and it is not the nick show's skin =|

FyLBmb5.jpg

ALT+yabbayabba

Chairhome

My 3 year old son has asked me almost every day for the past couple of weeks if this game is out yet (i showed him the trailer). I will be getting this game, regardless... I was going to get the PC version in the hopes of some good mods (come on new skins), but how is the performance? I noticed someone said that the framerate on 360 is not very good.

TheOGB

Banned
So I'm playing it now, and...

Oh god, this game is so not smooth. Timing on attacks and counters somehow feel both too early and too late, and the feedback you get (if you get it) doesn't really help let you know either. The training dojo doesn't seem to work completely right; in one of the countering lessons the Foot soldiers wouldn't even attack, so I had to find a way to trigger them "right" so they'd both attack at the same time so I could even try it, and if I didn't get it I'd have to exit training and go back into the lesson because they'd never attack simultaneously (let alone in close proximity) again. Then I'd have moments where I passed a trial accidentally and had no idea if I actually did it right. Even if I did, it probably didn't feel right.

The controls in this game are... weird. Mostly because of the responsiveness/feedback issue. It wasn't always clear if I was using a special attack until I hit somebody with it, and still seemingly only half the time then. I couldn't manage to figure out any team attacks (though Splinter said I used one at one point, still not sure why) and I only really got one special attack to work. I think.

All I really ended up doing was that training stuff and a bit of the Challenge mode, but after a short while I had to stop. It just did not feel right. It's definitely not the Arkham-style Turtles game I was hoping for, that's for sure. I'll return to it sometime, but damn, that was a really awkward first impression.

Well, with bad impressions rolling in and the art style not sitting well with me, this is an easy game to pass on. Which is a shame. I was really hoping it would at least play well.

Penguin

From the demo

-Turtles are ugly as sin. Voice-acting doesn't help
-Lots of variety in moves and traits for the Turtles
-Kind of a mess though. Sometimes feel blocking too late or too early even with the indicators, and it just does nothing. Combos seem to break too easily. And well I don't know

TentPole

The combat is just so sluggish and floaty. I feel like the game would be alright if they had just sped up the combat animations.

Chairhome

Just played a bit of the first stage with my son and the game is not that bad. The combat is a bit slow and the voice acting is phoned in, but it's mindless fun to me. PC version looks nice and no framerate issues for me.

If you were interested in it, I think it's still worth a try.

JohngPR

My 3 year old son has asked me almost every day for the past couple of weeks if this game is out yet (i showed him the trailer). I will be getting this game, regardless... I was going to get the PC version in the hopes of some good mods (come on new skins), but how is the performance? I noticed someone said that the framerate on 360 is not very good.

Performance on PC was good. I'm getting 60fps at all times. I will note however that I do have a HD 7970. :p

What I hate the most is that it does that thing where the game doesn't use the entire screen when you play coop. Not a fan of all the unused real estate on the screen:

2013-08-28_00015o7srn.jpg

JohngPR

Played the first chapter with my son.

The game is fun, but the feedback you get from pulling off moves is a bit off. You can press jump twice quickly and your turtle will jump, land, and then jump again a second or two after you pressed it twice, which is weird.

I think part of it is that they don't want you to button mash so they punish you for pressing attack buttons too many times. I think the game expects you to be more precise and deliberate with your button presses. I'll have to see how it feels playing by myself.

I don't like how small the split screen windows are. I have a 46" HDTV I have my PC connected to and even then, each window felt a little small.

The traversing stuff is pretty cool where you can do black flips off of walls, wall run, and vault over stuff and even go into attack moves from it. The comedic stuff feels very TMNT and the dialog is entertaining but the voice actors are hit and miss. One second they sound pretty good and other times they sound like they are reading off of a piece of paper.

Overall, I'm not sure if I can recommend it for $15. The game feels a little inconsistent. The combat looks like it could be fun though and there are TONS of moves and other combat things you can unlock so I'll keep playing and see if unlocking any of that smooths the rough edges out.

jadedm17

Just played the trial. It's a'ight, I guess...could be better.

But man, the turtles are ugly, and their voice acting isn't very enthusiastic. Some of the random conversations they have while running around are entertaining, though.

I can't get past the art style choice either to actually buy the game - and boy do I love buying all things TMNT related, but I'll agree : Mikey's pizza topping rant was hilarious.

That opinion has not been close to unanimous. On GAF the majority have expressed discontent but otherwise there hasn't been much of an uproar about it. The game is much better than the reshelled Turtles in Time and I'm having a good time with it. To each their own I suppose!

Thats a low bar.
Game couldn't even get saying "BIG APPLE, 3 AM" right.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
SO I was confused, I was thinking this is the cool-looking Turtles game that actually comes out full retail later this year. The one you can switch between 2d and 3d.

This one is not too good... Camera is wonky as hell, combat is alright, but the quality is pretty low...

Does anybody know if these designs are based off an old comic or something?

In other words, I join my voice with the masses: What the hell.

Ugliest game protagonists ever?

I don't understand why the game doesn't use the full screen during co-op.'

That is lame. Windowed co-op? Are you sure the settings are correct? There is no way to change that?

Red Mage

Who did they get to design these? H. R. Giger?

I would still get it if the gameplay was any good, but it doesn't sound like it...

Chairhome

the gameplay gets a bit repetitive, but i am enjoying the game. The first stage felt kinda long. The only time the framerate really hitched on me was during the travel portions of the game (running across levels). I am digging the banter between the turtles, the different types of attacks, the leveling system and more. Mikey is really fun to play. I didn't play the demo, so I don't know what content was in it, but I think some people are being pretty harsh.

Easter Egg in Level 1:
Look at the portraits in the Pizza restaurant
I think its the game staff.... with ninja turtle noses! http://teenagemutantninjanoses.tumblr.com/

jediyoshi

Rofl, I recognize those button prompt graphics. They're creative commons licensed
http://sinnix.net/

These game characters do not look like that. It's all in the eyes, man. I know it's an opinion, but I formed this opinion before coming to this thread: These things are ugly as sin.

I think its more the shape of their head.
That and those damn nostrils.

K3xD78C.jpg

Thought I heard this was based on the Nick show which is actually very awesome.... see the images in the first post and I will gladly pass on this.

First thing my 3 and 5 year old said when I started the game was "there faces look weird". The actual game though is a turd, just like the character designs. Sucks that activision won't do any good with the License.

Just finished the demo. The voice acting and dialogue is terrible, but I actually like the design of the turtles. I like the style of the cut scenes, too.

So, poop game with sloppy controls. Which is a shame, because that title screen is pretty awesome. That fuckin great T-U-R-T-L-E POWAH song.

Not sure if it's because I was expecting the worst or what but I'm actually having a good time with the demo. The combat takes a little getting used to but now I'm stringing together some great combos.

The camera is a bit annoying but that's really my only complaint for a $15 arcade game. It seems like it'll be a lot of fun in co-op.

Top Bottom