• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's The Division |OT 3| Crafted From 150 OT 2’s

It's a gorgeous, atmospheric cover shooter, but grindy and repetitive. Luckily the shooting and cover mechanics are handled really well, because the core game would get old very quickly. The RPG elements are another hook to keep you playing. There's nothing more rewarding than returning to a mission that was giving you grief, and then stomping through it after a few upgrades. If you don't like the sound of loot collecting and continually tweaking your gear though you may want to look elsewhere.

Game can be fun solo, but comes into its own in co-op. Firefights can be quite strategic affairs, where knowing your teammates position is almost as important as knowing the enemies'. Suppressive fire and flanking comes into its own in co-op, while reviving your buddies is a mini-game in its own right in tougher fights.

An early complaint of mine were the bullet sponge enemies, so a beginner's tip from me: check the enemy level before you tackle a mission. If they are any more than one level higher than you, expect a war of attrition where vast amounts of ammo are required to bring down any elite class enemy.

I bought the game for £20 about a week ago, and I can't put it down if that helps!
Are there any survival elements outside of Survival mode, like acavenging for supplies, food/hunger and sleep, stopping overnight in other buildings/apartments if your base is too far away, etc.?

How's the community, especially randoms? Dog-eat-dog like DayZ or do people actually work together?

Is being in the city like the Pittsburgh chapter from The Last of Us, needing to work with other players to avoid and evade players who control areas?

Bydobob

1.Are there any survival elements outside of Survival mode, like acavenging for supplies, food/hunger and sleep, stopping overnight in other buildings/apartments if your base is too far away, etc.?

2.How's the community, especially randoms? Dog-eat-dog like DayZ or do people actually work together?

3.Is being in the city like the Pittsburgh chapter from The Last of Us, needing to work with other players to avoid and evade players who control areas?

1.Outside survival (which I don't have yet), no. You only have to look after your health, which regenerates. No hunger or rest to worry about. You can keep running forever without penalty, though there is a fast travel option to safe houses. Scavenging is mostly for crafting tools, while ammo, weapons and upgrades are deposited from downed enemies. There are some NPCs that reward you with an item of clothing or gear if you help them, but clothing is purely cosmetic. Division is a 3rd person shooter first and foremost. Off topic, but have you heard of The Forest? It's still in early access, but if you're looking for a survival game that has all the bases covered. Damn scary too.

2.My experience of the community has been good, though it's been only co-op for me so far. I'm on PC, but I've rarely struggled to find players around my level for missions or free roam. There are many safe houses scattered around the map where you can meet players, or at the start of a mission it gives you the option to join up with a group. Remember it benefits the group to keep everyone alive, so everyone helps each other out.

3.No rival player factions in the main map, your battle for territory is against CPU, and you take control as you complete missions and side quests. I'm not quite sure how it works in the Dark Zone, I've only ventured there once so not the best person to ask here.

4 runs of survival and yet nothing useful

Given how disjointed the mode is from the rest of the game and the idea that the rewards are solely for other game modes I think they would have been better off to make Survival rewards cosmetic items. That would give me more incentive to play it more than the handful of times I have and probably only will. In any case the rewards should have been exclusive to Survival.

AndyD

aka andydumi
It's so odd that crafting blueprints do not scale up at least within a range and are level stuck. It greatly minimizes their benefit as you go. Especially since there are multiple material types already.

It's so odd that crafting blueprints do not scale up at least within a range and are level stuck. It greatly minimizes their benefit as you go. Especially since there are multiple material types already.

Even odder the Blueprint Vendor sales mostly Blueprints which are below your gear score/World Tier level (if playing in World Tier 5 that is).

AndyD

aka andydumi
Even odder the Blueprint Vendor sales mostly Blueprints which are below your gear score/World Tier level (if playing in World Tier 5 that is).

I agree. I hope the Survival mode influences the standard vanilla game and scavenging and crafting becomes more meaningful. It's such a good premise and wasted opportunity as it would allow you to play the game over and over since it can be more dynamic.

Instead it's all about endgame PVP.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I agree. I hope the Survival mode influences the standard vanilla game and scavenging and crafting becomes more meaningful. It's such a good premise and wasted opportunity as it would allow you to play the game over and over since it can be more dynamic.

Instead it's all about endgame PVP.

Basically you need story mode. Then a mode that plays like H1N1/Day Z

Mullah88

Given how disjointed the mode is from the rest of the game and the idea that the rewards are solely for other game modes I think they would have been better off to make Survival rewards cosmetic items. That would give me more incentive to play it more than the handful of times I have and probably only will. In any case the rewards should have been exclusive to Survival.

yeah i'm done with it, DZ 6 west farm will net more useful loot than what im currently getting. they should have made it a guarantee that you receive a rare or named item from any of the hunter drops.

I played the DZ again today after playing only survival since it came out... :p

It was fun.

About Survival: Massive need to make loot/resources randomized ASAP. People are making maps. :|

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The problem with Division right now in terms of online is that there are no more new players, so every time I go in and try to matchmake for something, it's the old problem of being booted immediately because you're not 256 gear score. Or in the case of Underground, being unable to matchmake at all.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The problem with Division right now in terms of online is that there are no more new players, so every time I go in and try to matchmake for something, it's the old problem of being booted immediately because you're not 256 gear score. Or in the case of Underground, being unable to matchmake at all.

It's a game that would massively benefit from cross play.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's a game that would massively benefit from cross play.
With everyone passing the buck on crossplay, it's clear that it'll never happen.

It's sad, I'm in an awkward place where the content I can do solo is too easy and doesn't benefit me because it drops gear that doesn't improve my GS (I've gotten my 4 piece Alphabridge, so now it's just getting better numbers instead of new gear), but I can't do World 5 stuff because no one will play with me.

I feel like I'm either missing something, or there's something that is missing in terms of tuning the experience for players trying to reach the end game (ie, dropping the rare piece of 256 gear on World 4 difficulty).

So I just picked this back up today, I haven't played since around launch. My lvl 28 character is getting destroyed by lvl 24 regular enemies right now. Did they rebalance the gear or something along the way that would make my old equipment obsolete, or am I just shit? Lol.

I really don't know where to go from here, as it has been so long. I still have the last two main missions to complete, but I cant seem to make it to the destination without dying to random lvl 24-29 mobs. Any advice would be appreciated.
Help?

With everyone passing the buck on crossplay, it's clear that it'll never happen.

It's sad, I'm in an awkward place where the content I can do solo is too easy and doesn't benefit me because it drops gear that doesn't improve my GS (I've gotten my 4 piece Alphabridge, so now it's just getting better numbers instead of new gear), but I can't do World 5 stuff because no one will play with me.

I feel like I'm either missing something, or there's something that is missing in terms of tuning the experience for players trying to reach the end game (ie, dropping the rare piece of 256 gear on World 4 difficulty).

Move to World Tier 5, choose the Daily Challenging mission, matchmake, and get 256 gear.

Do the same for the Lexington mission.

Rinse and repeat and you'll have 256 gear in no time.

At that point continue doing this and other activities in World Tier 5 and you'll have a fairly optimized character in no time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Move to World Tier 5, choose the Daily Challenging mission, matchmake, and get 256 gear.

Do the same for the Lexington mission.

Rinse and repeat and you'll have 256 gear in no time.

At that point continue doing this and other activities in World Tier 5 and you'll have an optimized character in no time.
I don't know if I'm just unlucky with assholes, but I've been booted from every Challenge mission I've tried. I just stopped playing for the most part until I have time to start Survival, since it's clear that the normal game doesn't really have much for me at the moment.

I don't know if I'm just unlucky with assholes, but I've been booted from every Challenge mission I've tried. I just stopped playing for the most part until I have time to start Survival, since it's clear that the normal game doesn't really have much for me at the moment.

Honestly, I play a ton of Challenging missions weekly and have never kicked anyone or noticed a teammate kick anyone since 1.4 dropped. It's not even a thought as the missions aren't really difficult anyways. I even took a 039 GS player through the other day and didn't care one bit.

I play on PC and Xbox One.

Bolivar687

Banned
If you guys are having issues with matchmaking try using chat instead. It's real easy to just right click their names to invite or get invited and I've been able to group up full parties of four within minutes, if not seconds.

Finally got a great aiming setup on my Steam Controller, game is so much fun to play with that thing. I also got my D3-FNC gear set going, using an SMG instead of a pistol with the ballistic shield is such a gamechanger for tank builds. I'm just really enjoying where the endgame is at right now with HVTs, Underground, Challenging missions, Incursions, and DZ has always been my thing. Haven't even tried Survival yet but I'm stoked.

If you're struggling against random red mobs try seeing if you have any regular or dark zone credits to purchase better equipment in the base of operations. Other than that just try to use your abilities the best you can and start taking some of them down. I'm guessing you're not in an upper world tier since you're not 30, so I'm not sure how the game could have rebalanced your map so badly out of whack. You should be able to go into areas a level or two below you if you're having problems and see if they give you more appropriate gear. You could also just try matchmaking or chat and see if anyone will help you grind. I'm Bolivar687 on UPlay if you want to add me so I can help.

Finally got a great aiming setup on my Steam Controller, game is so much fun to play with that thing. I also got my D3-FNC gear set going, using an SMG instead of a pistol with the ballistic shield is such a gamechanger for tank builds. I'm just really enjoying where the endgame is at right now with HVTs, Underground, Challenging missions, Incursions, and DZ has always been my thing. Haven't even tried Survival yet but I'm stoked.

Have you uploaded it? I've been messing around with the Steam controller as I like to experiment with different inputs and whatnot but I've yet to find settings for the right pad that feels as good as my Elite controller much less a keyboard and mouse.

MM is really dead outside of DZ and Survival (and Lexington CM lol).

Couldn't find a match for UG for 30 mins. Couldn't find a match for any of the Incursions at all...

Survival is a fun mode but so linear that everyone is basically doing the exact same thing. It's like a super fast-tracked version of the 1-30 progression and designed to provide a variable experience but everyone just loads in, gets some basic gear, crafts a M44 and goes straight to DZ2 :(

Go to tier 5, you're wasting your time in 4. Get a D3-FNC build going and solo everything (except incursions).

Quikies83

Just picked this up on Xbone.
Played for about an hour and a half this evening and am enjoying it very much. Leveled to 4.
I'd love to have a few gafers to roll through early waves together and showing me the ropes. I'll be on most evenings around 5pm central.
GT: Quikies83
I of course have a mic :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
A Day Z mode would be great.

That's already in the game, it's called "Dark Zone." Nobody besides people that want to shoot "Bambi"s likes it.

I played the DZ again today after playing only survival since it came out... :p

It was fun.

About Survival: Massive need to make loot/resources randomized ASAP. People are making maps. :|

I don't mind the maps, personally at least in PvE. Players were dropping like flies generally and Hunters would be EXTREMELY tough without having a general clue where Division Tech is. If they are going to randomize it, they need to rebalance the timer and/or gear progression to where players don't feel screwed by bad drops/luck and are able to overcome those "slim pickings" from other players and able to stand against the AI.

Like... in all my Survival rounds, I haven't found a pistol that upgrades the default starting one. That gets SORELY outclassed by your found primaries or crafted primaries after a bit.

I haven't been booted. But I haven't been randomly joining folks. It's generally the 256's that invite me. But yeah, Underground matchmaking is DEAD. The missions are mostly DEAD unless it's the mission-of-the-days, but even that's kinda slim. Incursions are DEAD. Survival takes a good 10-30 mins to find a match. Ubisoft SORELY needs to fix this.

As it is, I'm like 5 points away in terms of Gear Score from hitting World Tier 5 in unlocks, but grinding Survival for 1,000 EXP on WT5 is IMPOSSIBLE solo (especially on Challenging) and I haven't found high-damage weapons in ages. I think just tonight in one of the Undergrounds on WT4 I found ONE new gun in like a week. Crazy.

I just failed 3 times in a row in Survival PvE. NPC accuracy definetely needs to be nerfed. They don't miss a shot even from >30 feet during a storm? The hell?

Raxious

So i've got the game on disc for the PS4, bought it when the game got released. Haven't played in months though. If I were to start playing again, how 'important' is it to have the seaon pass content?

So i've got the game on disc for the PS4, bought it when the game got released. Haven't played in months though. If I were to start playing again, how 'important' is it to have the seaon pass content?

Not very.

Underground gets boring quick and you'll hardly find anyone playing it or find players via matchmaking.

Survival is a fresh take and a separate mode from the main game but it's basically the 1-30 leveling experience fitted into a 1-2 hour window.

Play the base game, get to level 30, try some challenge missions and incursions (if you can find anyone lol) and then decide if you want to get the season pass.

All the weapons and gear sets are no included in the base game so you don't need any dlc to have a chance at getting them.

Main game provides the 1-30 leveling experience, search and destroy, high-value targets, roaming bosses, six challenging story missions, Incursions, and most of that is repeated through a tiered difficulty system (there are five World Tiers) in conjunction with the PvPvE Dark Zone.

The season pass content includes The Underground (a random mission generator that can be 1-3 phases with or without difficulty modifiers, a disjointed [no progression, no exclusive rewards] Survival mode [can be played as PVE or PvPvE, generally a 1-2 hour match/session that introduces light survival mechanics - cold, hunger, thirst, medicine, crafting, etc], and The Last Stand [coming soon] which has not been detailed as of yet but could be a Horde mode, added story content, a combination of sorts, or something else entirely.

The World Tier system adds some replayability but once you hit World Tier 5 you'll quickly run out of content and will probably want the season pass.

Bolivar687

Banned
Have you uploaded it? I've been messing around with the Steam controller as I like to experiment with different inputs and whatnot but I've yet to find settings for the right pad that feels as good as my Elite controller much less a keyboard and mouse.

I set up a desktop configuration since I don't like adding games to Steam and heard UPLAY causes issues. Turned off the track ball thingy, turned on Gyro with left trigger soft pull. Then it was just a matter of playing with sensitivity. So I use the pad to aim at the enemy, lef trigger zoom in, then gyro to line up the headshot. It's not as easy when enemies are on the move, I suspect the Elite controller might be your best bet since it has the rear paddles and such. I like the Steam controller but having that second stick makes some things a lot easier. I would never use it for incursions or the Dark Zone.

I can upload screenshots of the right pad and gyro settings later if you want.

Mullah88

went back to my regular dz farm. one thing with getting decent loot and keeping them is having variety in builds. i never had a dps build in 1.4/1.5 so i decided to grab 3 striker piece (thanks to youtube) to get 10% enemy armor damage. which combined with my predator set gives me this

PS_Messages_20161229_100753_zps5vzdlprl.jpg

PS_Messages_20161229_100756_zpsocxgjt8f.jpg

ill say this hits better than my alphabridge, having the Lvoa-c (laser like with the stability at 39%) crit chance at 20.5%, 85% crit hit damage and EAD at 68.50%. agents and NPC's drop faster than any build ive made. need to find the set that grants damage to elites for PVE

Bolivar687

Banned
went back to my regular dz farm. one thing with getting decent loot and keeping them is having variety in builds. i never had a dps build in 1.4/1.5 so i decided to grab 3 striker piece (thanks to youtube) to get 10% enemy armor damage. which combined with my predator set gives me this

ill say this hits better than my alphabridge, having the Lvoa-c (laser like with the stability at 39%) crit chance at 20.5%, 85% crit hit damage and EAD at 68.50%. agents and NPC's drop faster than any build ive made. need to find the set that grants damage to elites for PVE

Yeah I keep one from each gear set in my stash. I really like the customization potential with the Division's Gear Sets since you can have four of one set for the full bonus and two of another for its first tier or go 3 and 3 for the first and second tier bonus from each. The hardest part is making sure you still have enough firearms/electronics for your weapon talents but rerolling stats at the calibration station helps.

Here's a cool spreadsheet I found on r/division for 1.5 builds:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tICQPQRo_wW9ebTaRCdKVPWCaf3X7Ya1a4j3onQZgSk/htmlview

Mullah88

If you want a DPs build use the d3-fnc set. It's ridiculous even with low skill power due to the assault shield mod

thats my next build, have a couple of really good rolled pieces i haven't re calibrated yet, will put it together and see how i like it

Anyone having any issue where the Survival DLC is installed on your system but the game says it isn't?

Edit: I can enter the Survival queue, find a game or matchmake though, but then the game seems to get stuck endlessly connecting

If you want a DPs build use the d3-fnc set. It's ridiculous even with low skill power due to the assault shield mod

That's what I'm running with right now. Tank and dps all in one.

Though would like a couple of fixes so it can be a little more versatile - the 4 piece doesn't let me use my sidearm at all unless I take cover and switch weapons. There should be a way to use the sidearm with the shield when the 4-piece bonus is active.

Also threat needs to be fixed. I'll be facetanking shotgunners and heavies but they will run away or focus on other players in the team - that defeats the purpose of being a tank lol.

Also ffs can they put back a way to farm for selective gear sets? I'm getting sick of getting nothing but alphabridge and nomad from any and every activity.

That's what I'm running with right now. Tank and dps all in one.

Though would like a couple of fixes so it can be a little more versatile - the 4 piece doesn't let me use my sidearm at all unless I take cover and switch weapons. There should be a way to use the sidearm with the shield when the 4-piece bonus is active.

Also threat needs to be fixed. I'll be facetanking shotgunners and heavies but they will run away or focus on other players in the team - that defeats the purpose of being a tank lol.

Also ffs can they put back a way to farm for selective gear sets? I'm getting sick of getting nothing but alphabridge and nomad from any and every activity.

Yeah, you can't even use your sidearm with the shield active even if you run out of SMG ammo, in this scenario you are basically screwed.

I believe the Incursions and their rewards are still weighted more towards their corresponding Gear Sets, too bad Survival/1.5/D3-FNC Gears Set didn't get released with a new Incursion.

That said, while playing different activities (Challenging Story MIssions, HVT's, Roaming Bosses, Underground Ops, etc) I get a good variety of gear.

Mullah88

so i saw hunters faith is the other set with 20% damage to elites. is it still the same or did they nerf it to 15%? at work so i cant check yet, just read an old doc with all the set bonuses

Just started playing this game and it is a lot of fun. I'm level 10 so far and had two questions if anybody may know the answer. For starters how do I access the Survival mode? I can't figure it out and really want to give it a try. Second question is kind of a hardware issue. I have a Logitech G110 keyboard and for some reason the backlights turn off while I'm playing the game. If it hit the backlights button or change the color they flicker and then then off until I exit the game.

Decided to get serious about an all-high-end build. After going through my inventory/stash and after a bit of re-rolling I came up with a Barret's chest, Specialized Backpack, Tenacious mask, Skull gloves, Accomplished knee pads, and a Sturdy holster.

Regular out of combat stats are 410k DPS (5467 Firearms), 420K Toughness (6425 Stamina), and 130K Skill Power (3075 Electronics) with 55% Armor Mitigation.

Using AR as main with Pakhan as secondary for this build.

Ran Lexington one time and had 6 GS drops and 5 HE drops before even getting to the boss.

PS_Messages_20161229_100753_zps5vzdlprl.jpg

PS_Messages_20161229_100756_zpsocxgjt8f.jpg

68% EAD! Wtf lol.

I tried this same combination and got really good results. But I'm stuck at 56% EAD and 27% DtE. Playing with a G36 (360K) and M700 Carbon I think. Landing 150k headshots with the AR and 600k with the MMR... insane.

mollipen

Yeah, I'm already getting the hang of where stuff is at just by memory. So long as I can survive past the first five minutes or so, I usually have a pretty long run—well, up until I face off with the Hunter (sp?). :(

I wanted to love Survival so badly, because the idea behind it was basically one of the things I most wanted in a game: third-person shooter in big city during winter where you're trying to see how long you can survive. The problems are, the lack of randomness are going to make it short-lived I'm afraid, and I don't really like how much of a rush it is toward the DZ. I know not everyone would go for it, but I'd much more prefer just trying to see how long you can last in the city as supplies dwindle, the infection clock counts down, and you have the threat of other agents or NPCs killing you looming over your head.

The part that I love the most just end up feeling like one big "get prepared for the DZ" run, and I'm not a huge fan of that.

Top Bottom