• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's The Division |OT2| The Wolves of Wall Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

IvanJ

Banned
Are the normal [non-challenge mode] Dailies doable for a fresh 30, or would you guys recommend gearing up a bit before jumping into them? 75K DPS right now.
They are doable, and rather easy. I just matchmake with randoms and usually run them without even being downed.
The very first time I hit level 30 I matchmade with two randoms and ran the Lexington challenge without problems. And I was about 50K/50K dps/health and wasn't holding my partners back.

bjaelke

ugh, and i think i was the lucky one of the team :(
You were indeed.
does scavenging even affect anything? i had a build with 166% scavenging and a friend had 9% we farmed DZ almost an entire day and we both got 1 HE drop each, mine was a gear mod, his was a chest piece

Hamish Bode @hamishbode:

Confirmed: Scavenging increases your chance for higher quality drops (both gear and crafting mats) #TheDivision
https://twitter.com/hamishbode/status/713005137384632320
To be clear, even though it may be frustrating, scavenging doesn't guarantee anything. It's still chance based.
https://twitter.com/hamishbode/status/713098542408138752

It's like beating my head against a brick wall arguing with you, so I'm done. Loot is an issue with this game. Build diversity is an issue within this game. If you don't think so then you are delusional, I'm sorry.

The only delusion is people thinking that every game that has loot drops needs to be a Diablo-esque loot piñata. Which just doesn't make any sense when the core of the game is so completely different.

Like it or not The Division and Destiny are both hybrids that take their loot conventions from MMORPG's far moreso than ARPG's. The Division even more than Destiny considering it literally has Tank, DPS, and Support roles built into the game complete with gearing for Threat, Healing, and CC.

It is pretty much abysmal, scavenging is a placebo at best. People will say "but I get 3-5 in 4hours of play" but they think that's the norm for everyone. I haven't got a HE drop in days now.

Also higher level DZ's are supper buggy right now - named enemies don't respawn in DZ06, server transition makes all your dropped loot disappear, chests and div tech boxes don't respawn fast enough. and even though higher DZ bosses are supposed to have a higher chance of dropping better loot, it's the DZ 1-3 bosses that seem to drop better loot.

Edit: And to make it clear. The Rollback as I suggested wouldn't be to set everyone back equally. Rollback the accounts of the people who abused the most and the word will spread that Expoiting will result in punishment. Once that is established and the community is aware of it, then the blatant exploiting and glitching will die down and there will be few enough people who continue to try that you actually can do bans without causing riots.

Lmfao that's not going to happen.

*runs hands across the tops of a field of daises as puppies frolic along*

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Wow. I didn't realize how big some of these issues were, mostly due to me being pretty inactive as far as discussing the game in different communities.
The points made though are spot on...
Itemization and drop rates: Devs have said conflicting things about this, and so I don't know what to believe. However the experience of playing the game is that there are far too few good drops, far too many bemusingly bad drops, and far too many meaningless item stats on those drops . The entire system is broken and needs to be reviewed. After a couple of hundred hours of gameplay and farming, I found 3 useless legendaries, and no set pieces. In the end that removes any reason to push on. It became a frustrating chore very quickly. A prolonged, frustrating battle with an unfairly abilitied set of elites rewarded nothing over and over again, so why bother?
Fucking nailed it.

D3 or Division?

The only delusion is people thinking that every game that has loot drops needs to be a Diablo-esque loot piñata. Which just doesn't make any sense when the core of the game is so completely different.

Like it or not The Division and Destiny are both hybrids that take their loot conventions from MMORPG's far moreso than ARPG's. The Division even more than Destiny considering it literally has Tank, DPS, and Support roles built into the game complete with gearing for Threat, Healing, and CC.

Are you saying Division is not a loot game? It's definitely not a content game. Players are not going to keep on playing it for the content or the gameplay, they will play it for the loot.

I am now fully converted to how awesome the Dark Zone is.

Playing mainly solo. I was 164k/65k/20k for my stats when starting so most enemies are just easy fodder other than the 32s at the highest zones. So that probably made things easier.

I killed Animal and he dropped the Midas. Extracting it was absolutely terrifying knowing this rare HE weapon was now up for grabs I anyone wanted to take me on.

Was careful and successfully extracted.

Having actual players around and seeing the factions attack each other makes it more dynamic than the static world of the PvE area.

Got to rank 28 and I am thirsty for more. Rank up seems damn speedy, when do I hit the bottleneck?

Birdman02

Just hit level 30 last night and I'm currently sitting at 70k/58k/9k. Anybody willing to carry me through RC on PS4, or are my stats too low? I'm down for farming hornet too, assuming we make it through.

psn: Birdman1702

Quoting myself from an earlier post.

People need to stop thinking people with 200k+ DPS have better weapons than those with 150k+. They might, they might not. The thing is, accuracy boosts the DPS to a ridiculous level. I had a Black Market AK74 with 126k in DPS, then I rolled a new one with one talent being 46% accuracy. DPS went from 126k to 186k. For some reason, Massive thinks you will hit targets significantly more with a higher accuracy. While this is true to some extent, it just isn't, ironically, accurate in terms of how much more damage you will do. While stats like stability, optimal range, crit damage, crit chance etc. won't boost DPS as much as accuracy, they are, in my opinion, a lot more important.

READ THIS: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...Damage-amp-You

Do you mind reposting the link? This is broken.

HMD

I am now fully converted to how awesome the Dark Zone is.

Playing mainly solo. I was 164k/65k/20k for my stats when starting so most enemies are just easy fodder other than the 32s at the highest zones. So that probably made things easier.

I killed Animal and he dropped the Midas. Extracting it was absolutely terrifying knowing this rare HE weapon was now up for grabs I anyone wanted to take me on.

Was careful and successfully extracted.

Having actual players around and seeing the factions attack each other makes it more dynamic than the static world of the PvE area.

Got to rank 28 and I am thirsty for more. Rank up seems damn speedy, when do I hit the bottleneck?

Ranking up used to be much harder past 35 when non-rouge deaths cost you two thirds of your rank, but you barely lose any XP when you die now so I'd say the 40 to 50 grind is the slowest.

Sober

Well if it wants MMORPG loot it should probably stop using randomized loot ala Diablo and just have handcrafted items drop on loot tables instead. Especially at level cap. Even for crafted items.

FeD.nL

Well if it wants MMORPG loot it should probably stop using randomized loot ala Diablo and just have handcrafted items drop on loot tables instead. Especially at level cap. Even for crafted items.

What would really help is if the named weapons would just be a rarity of their own with non-variable stats and with a unique talent(s).

But keep the HE versions of non-named weapons variable, like how Guild Wars did it.

Ranking up used to be much harder past 35 when non-rouge deaths cost you two thirds of your rank, but you barely lose any XP when you die now so I'd say the 40 to 50 grind is the slowest.

Sounds good! Really enjoying it.

Im really sour on crafting. I've crafted over 2 dozen items and only ONE was ever better than what I had. Mainly purples too. Fuck.

Are you saying Division is not a loot game? It's definitely not a content game. Players are not going to keep on playing it for the content or the gameplay, they will play it for the loot.

All games are content games. I'm saying Division is not an ARPG. It's not Diablo. It's not Path of Exile. It's not Van Helsing. It's not Devilian. It's also not an MMORPG. It's a hybrid.

However, when you look at the actual systems built in the game the loot system, the holy trinity roles, and plans for what all indications point to being Raids being included.. it borrows more heavily from MMORPGs than it does from ARPGs.

The loot here isn't completely random mixes of things. There are specific pieces of gear than have a set range of results. Gearing is itemized to create Tank builds with threat generation, DPS builds with threat reduction, and Support builds to facilitate healing and crowd control. The high level gear is earned from drops or purchased with specific currency and crafted. Incursions are coming that require a Gear Score and reward Set Pieces and they're going to be done on a weekly lockout (all conventions directly from WoW).

And you seem to think that people play MMORPG's for the content. The entire concept of "Endgame" and rushing to get there comes directly from MMORPG's. There is loot chase there as well but the drop rates aren't anything like Diablo.

That's what the named gear does. We'll have to see whether the set piece gear does as well. And MMORPG's also have loot drops that have set ranges of stats. The main difference here is that the random rolled weapons outperform the named stuff (so far).

EL CUCO

Still kinda thinking about buying the Pakhan. Is it more effective in Challenging than a good Vector would be?

I currently cant put my Socom M1A down so running to primaries isn't really an option for me.

Granadier

Unless something drastic is added with Incursions the existence of the "holy trinity" idea is just a nice afterthought.
Tank/DPS/Heals doesn't exist viably right now. It's just DPS + more or less health.

Zom

Banned
After 3 hours of RC farm the only HE i got was this and a mod

tomclancysthedivisionrrsr0.jpg

ugh, and i think i was the lucky one of the team :(

I had 110% Scavenging, this is soooo wrong

I got one more HE hehehe

Unless something drastic is added with Incursions the existence of the "holy trinity" idea is just a nice afterthought. Tank/DPS/Heals doesn't exist viably right now. It's just DPS + more or less health.

I agree but that's only because the items and some skills are powerful enough to have allowed the players to outgear CMs. Remember before people got fully decked out in HE's and for the brief period of time before the Ammo Crate + Smart Cover became widely used.. players had to use effective CC, buffing, and focus fire to complete it. So the content is designed to push the players towards the trinity and coordinated play, it just got trivialized by bugs having to do with buffs stacking that shouldn't have and being able to farm more efficiently than intended with stuff like BK.

spyder_ur

Still kinda thinking about buying the Pakhan. Is it more effective in Challenging than a good Vector would be?

I currently cant put my Socom M1A down so running to primaries isn't really an option for me.

Pakhan is my go-to weapon for CM, at least anyone where the encounters are inside sniper range. The talents are good and easy to activate/enable. You need good mods though, since it only has three slots.

If you have the cash, buy it. What else are you going to do with the credits anyways?

Granadier

I agree but that's only because the items and some skills are powerful enough to have allowed the players to outgear CMs. Remember before people got fully decked out in HE's and for the brief period of time before the Ammo Crate + Smart Cover became widely used.. players had to use effective CC, buffing, and focus fire to complete it. So the content is designed to push the players towards the trinity and coordinated play, it just got trivialized by bugs having to do with buffs stacking that shouldn't have and being able to farm more efficiently than intended with stuff like BK.

Actually, the only strategy that was ever relevant before straight DPSing was hard CC. There was never a time when a proper "tank" role was viable.

You're talking about the short period of time between turning level 30 and getting enough gear to just DPS everything down. At that point there is not a chance in hell you would have the gear necessary to even think about a "tank" build using Ballistic Shield or some other strategy.

So no, the trinity is an afterthought and never worked.

Can someone post the discord link?

There is a link to it in the OP. If you click on the "Discord Link" image and then quote my post, it will show the link in the email field.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So I just hit 30 and there's still a few zones and missions to do. Do I bother with them or just enter the DZ and try farm items?

Drop rates are abysmal and it's the exact reason why players are resorting to farming.

I won't argue that drop rates aren't "abysmal", but that's irrelevant to why people are farming.

If you could get 50 high end drops per hour playing normally, and 51 farming, people would still be farming, and doing so regularly. The base drop rate has very little to do with it.

Sober

And you seem to think that people play MMORPG's for the content. The entire concept of "Endgame" and rushing to get there comes directly from MMORPG's. There is loot chase there as well but the drop rates aren't anything like Diablo.

That's what the named gear does. We'll have to see whether the set piece gear does as well. And MMORPG's also have loot drops that have set ranges of stats. The main difference here is that the random rolled weapons outperform the named stuff (so far).
See this bothers me because loot in an MMO works more like puzzle pieces where if one piece has more stat then the other then the weighting of other gear you should equip changes. And since gear is all fixed stats on a budget, you can always make do and have something sub-standard if one slot if it means you can shore up better stats from other pieces.

The thing about randomized loot in MMOs is that they rarely are endgame viable because they either don't roll particular stats or it's because they roll randomly and might also be unpredictable or harder to obtain than just hoping for it to show up in a loot table. There is no problem I think if you want to make an MMO where the majority of loot is randomized, but the problem now is that the drops are so far inbetween that people resort to farming exploits to game the system. It's like we have some weird Frankenstein loot system in place where it's a bit of Diablo and a bit of WoW (or any MMO) instead of just picking one side and going full hog with it.

If anything ilvl 31 purple should've been the highest tier at launch, so the power level of someone in full 30 purples and full 31 purples wasn't so drastic like you see in 30 purples vs 31 yellows like we do now. Then at least you'd have a reason to introduce another tier of gear in an expansion or something. And it would make vendors in safehouses more viable because you're actually evaluating gear on a near-equal level and maybe ilvl 30 purples should also have just been craftable in the first place as soon as you hit 30.

Actually, the only strategy that was ever relevant before straight DPSing was hard CC. There was never a time when a proper "tank" role was viable.

You're talking about the short period of time between turning level 30 and getting enough gear to just DPS everything down. At that point there is not a chance in hell you would have the gear necessary to even think about a "tank" build using Ballistic Shield or some other strategy.

You're misunderstanding. I said the game pushes the players to the trinity. Missions don't require anything but DPS. CMs required CC and focus fire. So the logic of progressively harder content would suggest that the Incursion would add the final pieces. Tanking and heals. In this manor, the difficulty is a steady curve rather than a harsh leap (which was a complaint in Destiny which eventually led to Strikes with Raid lite mechanics).

And without the BK farm people wouldn't have outgeared the CMs quite so quickly.

See this bothers me because loot in an MMO works more like puzzle pieces where if one piece has more stat then the other then the weighting of other gear you should equip changes. And since gear is all fixed stats on a budget, you can always make do and have something sub-standard if one slot if it means you can shore up better stats from other pieces.

The Division does this to an extent as we've seen that stats have caps and once you hit a cap, it's better to focus on other stats. We've also seen that you can substitute lower tier gear to accomplish a specific builds goal until you can get a higher tier item to do it. It's not as prevalent here though and I think that's because Massive is new to this style of game and we're still in the games infancy. It becomes really easy to take a veteran game like WoW's systems for granted at this point but it did take years to refine itself.

The thing about randomized loot in MMOs is that they rarely are endgame viable because they either don't roll particular stats or it's because they roll randomly and might also be unpredictable or harder to obtain than just hoping for it to show up in a loot table. There is no problem I think if you want to make an MMO where the majority of loot is randomized, but the problem now is that the drops are so far inbetween that people resort to farming exploits to game the system. It's like we have some weird Frankenstein loot system in place where it's a bit of Diablo and a bit of WoW (or any MMO) instead of just picking one side and going full hog with it.

If anything ilvl 31 purple should've been the highest tier at launch, so the power level of someone in full 30 purples and full 31 purples wasn't so drastic like you see in 30 purples vs 31 yellows like we do now. Then at least you'd have a reason to introduce another tier of gear in an expansion or something. And it would make vendors in safehouses more viable because you're actually evaluating gear on a near-equal level and maybe ilvl 30 purples should also have just been craftable in the first place as soon as you hit 30.

I agree the mix is confusing. I think everyone sees that. Crafted weapons having a stronger potential than Named weapons, many not requiring the highest material in the game. The system is far from perfect and it's been exacerbated by the types of bugs and exploits that have been found. But I feel like I can see what they're trying to do and where they intend on going. They absolutely have work to do to get things where they need to be in terms of balance. I just think that it's not accurate to expect or demand the game to be Diablo with guns. It's aiming for a balance between ARPG and MMORPG and only being live for a few weeks, they should have the chance to try to get things to where they invision it. If the playerbase forces drastic changes this early, I think it'll lead to a pendulum effect of patch balances and system changes.

Deception

There is a link to it in the OP. If you click on the "Discord Link" image and then quote my post, it will show the link in the email field.

Tried that, I can't quote the post for some reason.

Definity

I've logged a total of 5 days play so far with at least 75% of that in the dz. I've seen 3 high end drops while my buddy with about the same amount played is up to 11 he drops.

I keep telling him I'm going to drop the group and start killing him anytime he mentions another he drop.

Granadier

You're misunderstanding. I said the game pushes the players to the trinity. Missions don't require anything but DPS. CMs required CC and focus fire. So the logic of progressively harder content would suggest that the Incursion would add the final pieces. Tanking and heals. In this manor, the difficulty is a steady curve rather than a harsh leap (which was a complaint in Destiny which eventually led to Strikes with Raid lite mechanics).

And without the BK farm people wouldn't have outgeared the CMs quite so quickly.

This is bullshit. Consistently blaming the "outgearing" on exploits or the early drop rates is insane.

source: hit 30 after the first drop-rate patch, and farmed BK for maybe an hour. Yet CM is still cake.

T.O.P

Banned
This game needs Leaderboards badly for CM

I love playing "time attack" when farming Lexington, some incentive for going fast and find the best route would be nice

Just got a Midas. I know it got nerfed, but is it still pretty good?

Depends on the talents as always, the weapon is still good

noomi

Just watched a video on this new Russian Consulate farm... holy shit lol.

Can't believe someone figured all of this out, crazy.

This is bullshit. Consistently blaming the "outgearing" on exploits or the early drop rates is insane.

source: hit 30 after the first drop-rate patch, and farmed BK for maybe an hour. Yet CM is still cake.

That's you. You also have three teammates at any given time. That's besides the point though. I'm talking about the community in general progressing to a point where CMs aren't viewed as difficult anymore. To deny that's part of the effect of the BK farm is to deny the sheer amount of people that participated in the BK farm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom