• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's The Division |OT2| The Wolves of Wall Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff

Has anyone had any regrets going to Level 30?

I'm currently level 29 with a sliver of XP left. I have cleared all the main missions and fully unlocked the base of operations. I am having a blast in the Level 25-29 Dark Zone as I can do what I like and take on Rogues fine. Simply put, I don't get "bullied" around :p

I'm worried about making the jump to 30 and then basically losing the DZ. I can't commit as much time to this game as I would like, and I know I'm going to be severely underpowered in the DZ (I am 77k DPS, 40k health) against people with high-end 150k DPS.

Basically... I guess my question is this: Is the end-game Level 30 content worth the trade-off of getting stomped in the Dark Zone if I know I'm not going to put the time in to become a 130k+ DPS beast?

LiK

I'm currently level 29 with a sliver of XP left. I have cleared all the main missions and fully unlocked the base of operations. I am having a blast in the Level 25-29 Dark Zone as I can do what I like and take on Rogues fine. Simply put, I don't get "bullied" around :p

I'm worried about making the jump to 30 and then basically losing the DZ. I can't commit as much time to this game as I would like, and I know I'm going to be severely underpowered in the DZ (I am 77k DPS, 40k health) against people with high-end 150k DPS.

Basically... I guess my question is this: Is the end-game Level 30 content worth the trade-off of getting stomped in the Dark Zone if I know I'm not going to put the time in to become a 130k+ DPS beast?

no, cuz you unlock Dailies and CMs which let you buy blueprints for HE guns/gear that are actually better.

once you hit 30, 130k dps is not hard to hit at all.

spyder_ur

Yeah - just do it, assuming of course that you are the slightest bit interested in end gear progression and getting stronger. You'll be fine in the DZ 30 bracket - in fact you're probably fine now. If you want to check, matchmake for the DZ. You'll probably get matched with 30s. Go in with them (you'll get separated when you walk in - just to to group management, pick a 30s name and transfer to their DZ) and see how it feels. I was in the level 30 DZ bracket when I was 27 and it wasn't too bad.

There might be more rogues now, though - but still, the loot will be more interesting and rewarding.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Can't wait to try it. What mods you got attached? I've only got some purples but would like to put yellows on but I don't have any crafted.

Sadly it only takes two mods, so I have a muzzle mod with +crit damage and a 15x scope with headshot + crit damage.

lt519

You make it sound like this wasn't possible the first week without exploits >.>

For someone that played the game for 80 hours the first week, sure. I played A LOT the first week and never got to the point where I was farming named enemies. That was a small subset of players that got to that point when they were still dropping 15-30 pC per named.

I'm mostly just saying that if they focus the Incursion's difficulty by inflating enemy health to combat a faster than expected gearing by the hard core crowd it won't be fun. Destiny had a major problem with this with Gjallahorn and they stupidly designed encounters around expecting people to have it despite it being a very rare drop that only hard core players had unless you got lucky. Same thing happened in Destiny as with the pC in The Division. Destiny had the Gjallahorn for sale week 2 and nobody had enough strange coins for it besides the people that had 100s of hours in the game already. The strong got stronger, the Gjallahorn (high pc drop rate) was never for sale again and they started designing the expansions around those strong players. It was actually toxic for the community, so many bad Destiny players because they relied on the Gjallahorn to do everything for them. I see it in The Division CM already, PUGs where people aren't even using cover, strafing around like its a FPS because they are so over geared.

Massive's hands are tied. If they make the incursion just a longer mission like they have now the hard core will steam roll it and complain. If they buff all the enemies to match the hard core then they are alienating the casual crowd and we will see a massive surge in people complaining about PC/DT drop rates, etc. They really need to make it skill based and take the primary stats out of the equation. Or take the D3 rout and make Rift like events (hopefully this is what survival mode is).

Just airing some concerns. Diablo 3 and Destiny (games I poured hundreds of hours into) have a lot in common with the arc that The Division is taking and I hope The Division doesn't falter in the same ways vanilla D3/Destiny did as well.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Once the gear score update happens alot of folks are going to think twice before trying to bait me into going Rougue because yesterday I was minding my own business while killing some NPCs when a trio of players came to shoot the NPCs too and a few seconds later a player purposely jumped in front of my gun fire so I can go Rougue (while the the NPCs were still there shooting at us).

They want a Rogue? Find they are going to get a Rougue! So in the chaos of the gun fight with the Players and NPCs I proceed to kill all 3 players before I died myself thanks to the NPCs shooting at me.

hydruxo

michael-jordan-laugh.gif

Smash that like button fam

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Sadly it only takes two mods, so I have a muzzle mod with +crit damage and a 15x scope with headshot + crit damage.

Took it in against some 31's in the DZ. 1 shot with explosives lol. Crits were hitting about 80k. Headshot crits with pulse up into 340k. The balance talent is real helpful since I hate scoping.

Olengie

I had enough Strange Coins to buy Gallerhorn in Week 2. I didnt buy it because I expected it to come back. Boy was I wrong. >.>

lt519

I had enough Strange Coins to buy Gallerhorn in Week 2. I didnt buy it because I expected it to come back. Boy was I wrong. >.>

I got (un)lucky and had a Truth drop for me so why would I spend my SC on another exotic rocket launcher? Bought some dumb hunter helmet...

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Took it in against some 31's in the DZ. 1 shot with explosives lol. Crits were hitting about 80k. Headshot crits with pulse up into 340k. The balance talent is real helpful since I hate scoping.

Just imagine a players thought process when they get one shot from down the street. >:D

ChrisW

What are some of the best skill rolls you can get on a vector? images welcome. I have crafted two but don't think they're that great.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Lord this AUG against pulsed enemies drops them in like 4-5 shots lol. Can't wait to try it out on a pulsed rogue.

What are some of the best skill rolls you can get on a vector? images welcome. I have crafted two but don't think they're that great.

I have crafted over 20 and they are all pretty bad. The one I have now is decent +crit chance, armor destruction and heal on crit.

Freeman76

I wouldn't rush too much personally, soon after hitting 30 I lost a bit of interest and feel the urge to play a lot less than I did.

ch4fx_

Now I feel bad for having to bail on you guys after the second run. Sounds like whoever replaced me was a piece of work!

No worries man, real life happens - responsibilities & shit.

The PR0 hopped in 2 or 3 runs later, it was just Gazza & I at that time. I invite the guy to our group chat with a warm welcoming hello & his first comment is that he just left a group of "100+ people farming Lexington" to help others, and then leaves our chat. We ended up completing the mission rather easily, but this dude was basically trying to solo the thing by himself. & as you can imagine, the rooftop elevator part was ABSOLUTE HELL.

Looking forward to running with you guys again, feel free to invite me anytime.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I have crafted over 20 and they are all pretty bad. The one I have now is decent +crit chance, armor destruction and heal on crit.

Not going to get much better than this. Obviously you'd want some damage type skill in that third slot, but heal on crit could be worse. You basically want 3 damage increasing skills of some sort, though I have to admit, I'm pretty partial to accuracy skills as well.

jmizzal

I still havent got any weapon skin drops, only weapon skin I got was from the uplay rewards.

Can you craft weapon skins, and how do you get drops?

RS4-

I still havent got any weapon skin drops, only weapon skin I got was from the uplay rewards.

Can you craft weapon skins, and how do you get drops?

I've only got skins from Lexington and the guy in Lincoln Tunnel. Pink and Teal respectively.

At least I'm sure Lexington was pink. I don't remember what color Hornet drops.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Is this a crafted tactical aug from the dz06 vendor?

Yeah. I got quite lucky with the talents and since I have loads of crit pulse attributes pulsed enemies drop so so quick since this gun has 120%+ of crit dmg and 555 of bonus . I think my Vector would probably beat it against non pulsed. But atleast this AUG is stable unlike the MP5 which is horrid for me.

You have a pic of the one that's for sale?

The M44 yeah? Its gone in about 6.5 hours.

Item level 31
- 44.2k DMG
- 55 RPM
- 5 MAG (Really need an extended mag)

Talents
- Balanced - Weapon acquires maximum accuracy faster when shouldered
- Steady - Killing a target with a headshot removes 100% sway from the weapon for 4seconds.

IbLeQv1.png

catspit

Yeah. I got quite lucky with the talents and since I have loads of crit pulse attributes pulsed enemies drop so so quick. I think my Vector would probably beat it against non pulsed. But atleast this AUG is stable unlike the MP5 which is horrid for me.

Darn.. I thought the MP5 was supposed to be like a lazer and have better handling than the Vector

Yeah. I got quite lucky with the talents and since I have loads of crit pulse attributes pulsed enemies drop so so quick since this gun has 120%+ of crit dmg and 555 of bonus . I think my Vector would probably beat it against non pulsed. But atleast this AUG is stable unlike the MP5 which is horrid for me.

The M44 yeah? Its gone in about 6.5 hours.
Who's selling the M44?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Sprays for challenge mode are this.

• Warren Powerplant Solid - Electric Green
  • Lexington Event Center Solid - Pink
  • Lincoln Tunnel Solid - Teal
  • Russian Consulate Red White Blue

Darn.. I thought the MP5 was supposed to be like a lazer and have better handling than the Vector

I crafted 4 and I couldn't get decent stability on any of them. :(

Who's selling the M44?

Advanced vendor near the gun range on the first floor.

LiK

Sprays for challenge mode are this.

• Warren Powerplant Solid - Electric Green
  • Lexington Event Center Solid - Pink
  • Lincoln Tunnel Solid - Teal
  • Russian Consulate Red White Blue

I crafted 4 and I couldn't get decent stability on any of them. :(

Advanced vendor near the gun range on the first floor.

Well, that explains why everyone is rocking those ugly ugly colors.

ch4fx_

For someone that played the game for 80 hours the first week, sure. I played A LOT the first week and never got to the point where I was farming named enemies. That was a small subset of players that got to that point when they were still dropping 15-30 pC per named.

I'm mostly just saying that if they focus the Incursion's difficulty by inflating enemy health to combat a faster than expected gearing by the hard core crowd it won't be fun. Destiny had a major problem with this with Gjallahorn and they stupidly designed encounters around expecting people to have it despite it being a very rare drop that only hard core players had unless you got lucky. Same thing happened in Destiny as with the pC in The Division. Destiny had the Gjallahorn for sale week 2 and nobody had enough strange coins for it besides the people that had 100s of hours in the game already. The strong got stronger, the Gjallahorn (high pc drop rate) was never for sale again and they started designing the expansions around those strong players. It was actually toxic for the community, so many bad Destiny players because they relied on the Gjallahorn to do everything for them. I see it in The Division CM already, PUGs where people aren't even using cover, strafing around like its a FPS because they are so over geared.

Massive's hands are tied. If they make the incursion just a longer mission like they have now the hard core will steam roll it and complain. If they buff all the enemies to match the hard core then they are alienating the casual crowd and we will see a massive surge in people complaining about PC/DT drop rates, etc. They really need to make it skill based and take the primary stats out of the equation. Or take the D3 rout and make Rift like events (hopefully this is what survival mode is).

Just airing some concerns. Diablo 3 and Destiny (games I poured hundreds of hours into) have a lot in common with the arc that The Division is taking and I hope The Division doesn't falter in the same ways vanilla D3/Destiny did as well.

Very well put sir, kudos!

To the bolded part -- Massive really is in a sticky position that could make or break this game & im really, REALLY hoping they succeed with their decisions.

By the time I (seriously) played Destiny, TTK had been out for 3 or 4 months, so I was late to the party to say the least. I've had The Division since launch, so I consider this my first major endeavor with the shooter/MMO/loot based hybrid game & I can't get enough of it.

I would consider myself right in the middle of casual & the 1%. I'm not geared to the teeth just yet, but I've spent my fair share of time farming bosses to buy blueprints I otherwise wouldn't be able to obtain (so quickly). That said, IMO, I think future content should be geared towards the majority, not the minority.

My thinking on the subject is if you make it accessible (or at least doable with enough trial/error) to the masses, theoretically you should have a lager community for a longer amount of time -- rather than catering to the dedicated minority which will result in a smaller community for the game.

On the reverse side of that, history shows that the masses get bored quickly & will move onto the next big thing, while the 1% will continue to play the game for years to come.

Who do you make happy?! Like you said -- they have their hands tied. I wish them luck, I really want this game to have a bright future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom