• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's The Division |OT2| The Wolves of Wall Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadin

Any idea why my signature (recovery link) won't rez people? They're easily within 40m and I see the animation move over them but they don't pop up. Is there something to this that doesn't make it work 100% of the time? Feel like I just waste it almost every time.

Any idea why my signature (recovery link) won't rez people? They're easily within 40m and I see the animation move over them but they don't pop up. Is there something to this that doesn't make it work 100% of the time? Feel like I just waste it almost every time.
Are they down, or are they dead?

Only works if down... Most agents end up dead fast.

What talents do you tend to get with the Black Market AK47?

Saving up PC for the blueprint.

This is how I'm looking right now

CenwFUCW8AAlkRS.jpg:large

Started sacrificing a bit of DPS for more health and skill

Infinite Sticky Bomb Build.

Requires full team to be usable, but looks like a Rogue's delight.

Adding the Caduceus to this can make this thing pretty viable, even with a duo or trio, I think. Luckily, I have that gun and a small stash of Electronics-based equipment, since I've been hoarding HEs for the most part instead of instantly deconstructing them.

I tried running a Cad build solo but it was outclassed completely by DPS. The trick that I was missing was Triage + team, it seems.

I might keep the stuff on me for an easy swap-out. It might be fun to run some CMs tonight with this style.

Edit: Unless anyone wants to get a rogue team together tonight. I can try it out there.

I just purchased the blueprint on Friday. Only crafted one so far. Remember fire in bursts... The thing has different recoil.

I tried out a classic AK to see if it'd be managable, has crazy diagonal recoil when you fire more than say 5 shots at a time.

I assume the handling will be much the same for the BMAK47?

Got some decent stability mods as well

Kadin

Are they down, or are they dead?

Only works if down... Most agents end up dead fast.
I see them crawling so I assume they're simply down and not actually dead. I just don't get it, there's nothing they have to do right, it just pops them up immediately I thought. It has worked from time to time, I just don't get it. Hate to think this is yet another bug but I'm starting to think this is the answer. Or they're actually dead and I'm just seeing things - which wouldn't be the first time.

I see them crawling so I assume they're simply down and not actually dead. I just don't get it, there's nothing they have to do right, it just pops them up immediately I thought. It has worked from time to time, I just don't get it. Hate to think this is yet another bug but I'm starting to think this is the answer.
Has to be a bug. Should work every time.

lt519

I just purchased the blueprint on Friday. Only crafted one so far. Remember fire in bursts... The thing has different recoil.

Definitely gotta manage that recoil. I went from using an AK all game to the Vector and found that I was missing down and left with the Vector because with the AK I had ingrained in myself a naturally tendency to pull the gun gradually down as I held fire.

Arrrammis

Can someone tell me exactly how to do an 8 man group?

Have a group with at least 2 people with you as the leader. Send out invites to friends or go to matchmaking and hit matchmake. As soon as somebody joins (accepts the invite), before they load in, kick them from the group. If it works correctly, they should keep loading and be in the instance without actually being in your group. Tada, 8+man group! You can get even more people if anyone who you got in to the instance starts another group and invites more friends.

Kadin

For the large groups, apparently the leader has to kick people as they're porting in but when they do it is critical. I've been in a few of these large 10-12 man groups and it takes a while before I actually get in successfully. Often I get kicked back to a safe house or I'll port in and see non-group members, then get booted after like 10 seconds. I don't have the answer, just pointing out what they're trying to do.

I tried out a classic AK to see if it'd be managable, has crazy diagonal recoil when you fire more than say 5 shots at a time.

I got one with 40-something Stability on it as a Talent and it still kicks and drifts like a mule. You either have to gimp your damage with Stability and Horizontal Stability mods or just get used to countering the recoil, which is no joke. The one I got has Armor Dmg and Elite and Named Dmg as the other talents though, so I'll keep it around but I'm not impressed by it tbh.

I see them crawling so I assume they're simply down and not actually dead. I just don't get it, there's nothing they have to do right, it just pops them up immediately I thought. It has worked from time to time, I just don't get it. Hate to think this is yet another bug but I'm starting to think this is the answer. Or they're actually dead and I'm just seeing things - which wouldn't be the first time.

Could be lag making you see them as still crawling when the game has already registered as dead.

For someone that played the game for 80 hours the first week, sure. I played A LOT the first week and never got to the point where I was farming named enemies. That was a small subset of players that got to that point when they were still dropping 15-30 pC per named.

I'm mostly just saying that if they focus the Incursion's difficulty by inflating enemy health to combat a faster than expected gearing by the hard core crowd it won't be fun. Destiny had a major problem with this with Gjallahorn and they stupidly designed encounters around expecting people to have it despite it being a very rare drop that only hard core players had unless you got lucky. Same thing happened in Destiny as with the pC in The Division. Destiny had the Gjallahorn for sale week 2 and nobody had enough strange coins for it besides the people that had 100s of hours in the game already. The strong got stronger, the Gjallahorn (high pc drop rate) was never for sale again and they started designing the expansions around those strong players. It was actually toxic for the community, so many bad Destiny players because they relied on the Gjallahorn to do everything for them. I see it in The Division CM already, PUGs where people aren't even using cover, strafing around like its a FPS because they are so over geared.

Massive's hands are tied. If they make the incursion just a longer mission like they have now the hard core will steam roll it and complain. If they buff all the enemies to match the hard core then they are alienating the casual crowd and we will see a massive surge in people complaining about PC/DT drop rates, etc. They really need to make it skill based and take the primary stats out of the equation. Or take the D3 rout and make Rift like events (hopefully this is what survival mode is).

Just airing some concerns. Diablo 3 and Destiny (games I poured hundreds of hours into) have a lot in common with the arc that The Division is taking and I hope The Division doesn't falter in the same ways vanilla D3/Destiny did as well.

The way to avoid this would be changing the availability of the current crop of HE's when the Incursion releases to make it much easier for the casual crowd to gear to the level of the hardcore, creating a new baseline. Basically making the current crop or HE's available at the rate Purples are and having the Incursion drop a new Tier of Gear + adding a new Tier of HE's to the vendors and mob tables.

Unfortunately that just catapults us into number bloat even faster than we already are headed.

you can put a grip on the BM ak and not on the classic, that helps. Especially if you have one with 40 horizontal stability and 35 stability

Kadin

Could be lag making you see them as still crawling when the game has already registered as dead.
Ah, that's a very good point. This is probably what it is. It's happening so much that I'm thinking of changing over to the survivor link which obviously most people are using. I just like healing/rez'n when I have the chance.

RyanDG

There is a slight delay between when you pop it and when they res. The effect (like all healing) isn't immediate. It could be possible that they go from being downed to dead before the res goes off? If in challenging mode missions, that may be likely, as it seems enemies are ingrained to kill the downed guy as priority #1.

I think it's a sad state of the endgame when all that's left for high level players is cause grief to new players entering the Dark Zone.

What an amazing endgame! All that high level gear to kill low level players.

Smh...

RyanDG

I think it's a sad state of the endgame when all that's left for high level players is cause grief to new players entering the Dark Zone.

What an amazing endgame! All that high level gear to kill low level players.

Smh...

Manhunts in DZ05 and DZ06 are pretty intense and amazing. It's a shame that not as many people venture up there, as the pitched battles that can get going between the different factions + players is a really neat experience. And generally, if you are looking for a 'fair' fight, that's the place to do it. Most people without access to the high end blueprints and gear don't venture that far north.

Kadin

There is a slight delay between when you pop it and when they res. The effect (like all healing) isn't immediate. It could be possible that they go from being downed to dead before the res goes off? If in challenging mode missions, that may be likely, as it seems enemies are ingrained to kill the downed guy as priority #1.
Yeah and this delay is probably cause for another healing issue where I'll target and hit someone properly with my First Aid and yet they get zero heals from it. This one happens so much that I've simply stopped healing anyone on the move as it's chance of landing is like maybe 10%. If they're in cover, I'll gladly hit them with it.

The other funny thing is sometimes I'll miss them slightly and they'll have the green circle glowing right next to them but they won't simply walk into it.

Being a healer in this game is tough. I feel like such a bad. =\

Manhunts in DZ05 and DZ06 are pretty intense and amazing. It's a shame that not as many people venture up there, as the pitched battles that can get going between the different factions + players is a really neat experience. And generally, if you are looking for a 'fair' fight, that's the place to do it. Most people without access to the high end blueprints and gear don't venture that far north.

I agree. That area of the DZ is absolutely brilliant.

Any advice?

My advice in general is play the way you want to play. If you want to level, then do that. If you want to spend time getting Rank in DZ, then do that. What matters most is if you're having fun.

With that said.. Rank 30 will allow you to purchase Purple quality gear/weapons that are around your level, which will make it significantly easier on the PvE side of things. However, you could also save those credits for when you hit Level 30 so you can gear quickly then.

Waiting until you hit Level 30 could make the DZ rougher for you since there's always the possibility of running into guys that outgear you by quite a bit. So if you want to push for Rank 50 first.. I'd suggest getting to Level 24 (which is the top of your current DZ bracket) and then making that push for 50. Once you're there, you can Level all the way to 30 and you'll already have the rank to start buying the DZ Purples (and High Ends at some of the Safe Houses) and only need Phoenix Credits to buy the blueprints at DZ06.

People need to understand the difference between griefing (running in front of fire on purpose, rogue baiting etc) and what you described. Which is how the DZ works at its best.

The argument has been brought up a lot here and everyone keeps thinking it's the same thing. It's not.

Imagine how amazing a clan system that allowed clan betrayals in game to join new clans would be versus idiotic players acting like soccer players.

lt519

The way to avoid this would be changing the availability of the current crop of HE's when the Incursion releases to make it much easier for the casual crowd to gear to the level of the hardcore, creating a new baseline. Basically making the current crop or HE's available at the rate Purples are and having the Incursion drop a new Tier of Gear + adding a new Tier of HE's to the vendors and mob tables.

Unfortunately that just catapults us into number bloat even faster than we already are headed.

It also pisses off a lot of people that spent the time to get all that gear. You have to expect it in MMOs but to do a level cap/gear increase so soon after release won't be met with open arms.

They just need to design better encounters that require skill instead of pure gear power. Then give people a scaling zone/rift to play in with their high end gear (I'm guessing this is survival update in May).

Running the DZ last night with my group, and in the 4-5 hours we played I had more yellow drops than I did during the entire week. What did I do? I got rid of scavenging. Previously I had ~125%. Before we entered the DZ yesterday I crafted some new knee pads that don't have scavenging on them, and now I only have 15%. In the span of a few hours I had 4 HE drops in the DZ. People here were saying that scavenging has no affect on HE drops, and while that might be true, if anything scavenging decreases your chances of a HE drop. Someone in my group has had little to no scavenging and has gotten quite a few HE to drop, more than anyone else in my group who had 100%+ scavenging.

So it seems to me that scavenging actually hurts your chances of getting HE drops. Could just be a small sample size, but when multiple people are reporting the same thing....

Kadin

Running the DZ last night with my group, and in the 4-5 hours we played I had more yellow drops than I did during the entire week. What did I do? I got rid of scavenging. Previously I had ~125%. Before we entered the DZ yesterday I crafted some new knee pads that don't have scavenging on them, and now I only have 15%. In the span of a few hours I had 4 HE drops in the DZ. People here were saying that scavenging has no affect on HE drops, and while that might be true, if anything scavenging decreases your chances of a HE drop. Someone in my group has had little to no scavenging and has gotten quite a few HE to drop, more than anyone else in my group who had 100%+ scavenging.

So it seems to me that scavenging actually hurts your chances of getting HE drops. Could just be a small sample size, but when multiple people are reporting the same thing....
That's just RNG doing its thing. While scavenging increases your odds, it's still RNG in the end.

I can chime in that it's true for me as well.

I was running with a group with 99% scavenging, the guy with the 2nd highest percentage is only around 25%. During our 2 hour run, he got at least 4 HE, while I have none. And i've been yielding none for the last 3 days too.

tick221

Most high end DZ players that I've run into like DZ01 and DZ02. Like beating kinder gardeners at kickball and then gloating about it

It also pisses off a lot of people that spent the time to get all that gear. You have to expect it in MMOs but to do a level cap/gear increase so soon after release won't be met with open arms.

They just need to design better encounters that require skill instead of pure gear power. Then give people a scaling zone/rift to play in with their high end gear (I'm guessing this is survival update in May).

Yeah. It's a rough situation that Massive have found themselves in but generally I think it's a safer bet to upset the hardcore with a new gear baseline than it is to alienate the casual crowd with too steep a difficulty ascent.

There are definitely ways to design encounters that would require more skill but the problem is that you have to have some kind of DPS phase and over geared players will burn through that no matter what. You also have to have the enemies do enough damage to be a threat, and being over geared throws that out of whack too.

I just hope Massive can find that sweet spot because they've done a great job with the game as a whole and have only gotten into this problem spot because they didn't punish the players for abusing exploits.

RyanDG

I alternate between a scavenging and non scavenging gear and note down on a spreadsheet how many bosses I kill in the DZ and how many HEs drop. With my scavenging gear, i have twice as many kills for bosses, but have found less than half of the number of high ends that I found with my non scavenging gear.

I do think something isn't working quite right there, if scavenging truly affects gear drops at all.

Edit: As a side note, one thing that scavenging does seem to really affect though is Div Tech drops. My spreadsheet notes chests opened vs Div Tech as well, and scavenging has almost 4x the number of div techs the non scavenging gear has found.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'm a pube off Dark Zone rank 50. What is the weapon of choice I should buy? Navy MP5 blueprint? or Aug?

I've made both, but use the Aug because I got better rolls. But I liked using the Mp5 more.

That said, you should improve your gear before you improve your weapon. You can "get by" with a Vector, especially since you can make them so much easier than the ones that need DT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom