• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson - Ubisoft's Board is Launching an Investigation Into The Company

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

https://insider-gaming.com/ubisoft-investigation/

It has been announced that Ubisoft’s Executive Committee and Board of Directors will launch an investigation and review of the company.

The news came via a company financial statement and update, which included the delay of Assassin’s Creed Shadows and the announcement that Star Wars Outlaws underperformed. The statement read,

“In the light of recent challenges, we acknowledge the need for greater efficiency while delighting players. As a result, beyond the first important short-term actions undertaken, the Executive Committee, under the supervision of the Board of Directors, is launching a review aimed at further improving our execution, notably in this player-centric approach, and accelerating our strategic path towards a higher performing model to the benefit of our stakeholders and shareholders.

Finally, let me address some of the polarized comments around Ubisoft lately. I want to reaffirm that we are an entertainment-first company, creating games for the broadest possible audience, and our goal is not to push any specific agenda. We remain committed to creating games for fans and players that everyone can enjoy.”

At the time of writing, Ubisoft stock has decreased to 11.42 euros and has drastically fallen these past few months. Last month, Insider Gaming reported that XDefiant was at risk of losing its much-needed post-launch support after dwindling player numbers and following the release of a mild Star Wars: Outlaws launch, Ubisoft’s stock price fell to a near 10-year low.

Speaking with current and former Ubisoft employees, I am told that the move was inevitable and “the writing was on the wall,” as many Ubisoft studios have been struggling due to poor management. While I have reported on some of these issues in the past, Insider Gaming will have a more in-depth report in the coming days or weeks

https://insider-gaming.com/yves-guillemots-internal-memo-to-staff/

The memo includes announcing the Assassin’s Creed Shadows delay and the news that Star Wars Outlaws underperformed.

The full memo reads,

“Dear All,

We just issued a press release announcing our revised financial targets for the current fiscal year.

First, Star Wars Outlaws’ initial sales proved softer than expected, despite solid ratings from players that recognized the game’s faithful transcription of the original trilogy’s essence and richness: 76 on Metacritic, 3.85/5 on PS store, ~4/5 on Xbox and 4.4/5 on Epic. While players praise the sense of detail and the beauty of the graphics, the effectiveness of the reputation system, and endearing characters like Nix, some also noted areas of improvement. The development teams are already hard at work on this, focusing on save issues, stealth mechanics, more frequent quest checkpoints, and better NPC AI. I’m confident that these updates will significantly improve the player experience by allowing us to deliver on its promise, and make Star Wars Outlaws a must-play game and long-term seller. In parallel, the Publishing teams and developers are closely collaborating to increase the engagement with the game and boost player acquisition during Black Friday and the holiday season.

In today’s ultra-competitive market, players expect extraordinary experiences and ultra-polished games on Day 1. We need to continue to improve when it comes to fine-tuning our games and delivering outstanding gameplay. This is what will enable Ubisoft to again create the best games in the industry.

Consequently, we decided to delay Assassin’s Creed Shadows to February 14, 2025. The game is already playable and of high quality, and has all the features the team wanted to integrate into this ambitious experience. This unusual decision at such an advanced stage is motivated by our desire to offer an optimal experience from launch on all platforms and various PC configurations, and to remove the small frictions we typically used to address in post-launch title updates. We will also use the extra time to complement the experience with a few high-impact secondary quests that will bring even more memorable.

Additionally, as a result of listening to player feedback on other topics, our new releases, starting with Assassin’s Creed Shadows, will again be available on Steam on launch day, in addition to being available on first parties’, Epic’s and Ubisoft’s stores. Also, we are currently rethinking our Season Pass model for our upcoming games. For Assassin’s Creed Shadows, all players will have access to the game at the same time, and those who have pre-ordered the game will get the first expansion for free

Beyond the first important short-term actions that I’ve outlined above, the company’s top management will focus on accelerating the improvement of our production, communication, and publishing practices and processes in close collaboration with all these teams, with the objective to put players at the heart of all our decisions. We will regularly update you on the progress we’re making.

Lastly, I’d like to address the recent polarized coverage around our creative choices. We are an entertainment company. As such, our objective is not to endorse any specific agenda. Our mission has always been to entertain players and enrich their lives with original and memorable experiences, that resonate with a global audience.

This setback should not discourage us but serve as a learning experience and drive us to act even more quickly. More than ever, let’s continue to believe in our ability to bounce back, while approaching the challenges we face with lucidity and determination. I would like to thank you for your commitment and to reiterate my confidence in our collective ability to surprise and meet the expectations of a growing number of passionate players in the long term.

Yves

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Ya had a good run Ubi.

The 00's where amazing, lots of ground breaking stuff like Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, BG&E. Every title reinventing themselves every iteration. Being the absolute king in blended animations in that era, etc.

.. everything after 2012 and beyond was kinda a rehash or a technical trainwreck in someway. Making the same lawnmower type games, with the same structure and similar mechanics but just a different skin. Skins of franchises you invented in the 00's.

Pour one out.

Last edited:
bYPXc1I.gif

Hookshot

Gold Member
Finally, let me address some of the polarized comments around Ubisoft lately. I want to reaffirm that we are an entertainment-first company, creating games for the broadest possible audience, and our goal is not to push any specific agenda. We remain committed to creating games for fans and players that everyone can enjoy.”
We'll see. Actions not words are needed now.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
They're so fucked.

It's honestly a little shocking to see what a pile of shit this company has become. It was a long time ago, but during the 2000s when they were putting out the first trio of Splinter Cell games, Rainbow Six 3 and Vegas, the PoP trilogy, the Ghost Recon games - did anyone expect them to turn into this? They were easily among the best western publishers back then.

So... what happened? It can't just be the activists. I guess the cynical answer is that Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 provided such a solid blueprint that there wasn't a need to try anymore, but to go so completely downhill with essentially every franchise they ever built is kind of shocking. But the strategy hasn't worked for years, and the absolute refusal to course correct is something that should be studied.

Which, I guess, is exactly what their shareholders are going to be doing.

Ridicululzz

"Finally, let me address some of the polarized comments around Ubisoft lately. I want to reaffirm that we are an entertainment-first company, creating games for the broadest possible audience, and our goal is not to push any specific agenda. We remain committed to creating games for fans and players that everyone can enjoy.”
Wow, can't believe this was actually addressed. Will be interesting to see what they'll actually do, but I'm glad it wasn't just hand waved off as bad faith discourse :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Luipadre

They're so fucked.

It's honestly a little shocking to see what a pile of shit this company has become. It was a long time ago, but during the 2000s when they were putting out the first trio of Splinter Cell games, Rainbow Six 3 and Vegas, the PoP trilogy, the Ghost Recon games - did anyone expect them to turn into this? They were easily among the best western publishers back then.

So... what happened? It can't just be the activists. I guess the cynical answer is that Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 provided such a solid blueprint that there wasn't a need to try anymore, but to go so completely downhill with essentially every franchise they ever built is kind of shocking. But the strategy hasn't worked for years, and the absolute refusal to course correct is something that should be studied.

Which, I guess, is exactly what their shareholders are going to be doing.

Ubisoft was goat in the ps3/x360 era. I was always looking forward to their E3 shows and the "one last thing" at the end of their shows. Now look at them...

What, so the board are going to investigate themselves.

What's happening with Ubi doesn't just happen. Ultimately, it's down to the people at the top but those at the top are not so easy to remove.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

The lawyers are currently climbing a tower to unlock the first part of the map.
I now have a visual of several lawyers in 3 piece suits holding on to the lapels of their jackets while climbing. 🤣

Also: “Finally, let me address some of the polarized comments around Ubisoft lately. I want to reaffirm that we are an entertainment-first company, creating games for the broadest possible audience, and our goal is not to push any specific agenda. We remain committed to creating games for fans and players that everyone can enjoy.”

I have a feeling some folks are in trouble.

Tokio Blues

Gold Member

https://insider-gaming.com/ubisoft-investigation/

It has been announced that Ubisoft’s Executive Committee and Board of Directors will launch an investigation and review of the company.

The news came via a company financial statement and update, which included the delay of Assassin’s Creed Shadows and the announcement that Star Wars Outlaws underperformed. The statement read,

“In the light of recent challenges, we acknowledge the need for greater efficiency while delighting players. As a result, beyond the first important short-term actions undertaken, the Executive Committee, under the supervision of the Board of Directors, is launching a review aimed at further improving our execution, notably in this player-centric approach, and accelerating our strategic path towards a higher performing model to the benefit of our stakeholders and shareholders.

At the time of writing, Ubisoft stock has decreased to 11.42 euros and has drastically fallen these past few months. Last month, Insider Gaming reported that XDefiant was at risk of losing its much-needed post-launch support after dwindling player numbers and following the release of a mild Star Wars: Outlaws launch, Ubisoft’s stock price fell to a near 10-year low.

Speaking with current and former Ubisoft employees, I am told that the move was inevitable and “the writing was on the wall,” as many Ubisoft studios have been struggling due to poor management. While I have reported on some of these issues in the past, Insider Gaming will have a more in-depth report in the coming days or weeks

z9DvQIc.png

LOL

Ogbert

Gold Member
This is a hugely encouraging statement. Rest assured, that wasn’t aimed at the public. Rather, all the silly blue haired non-binary raspberry shaped land whales that have lost the company hundreds of millions.

You’re getting sacked.

UBI are now fighting for their existence. I cannot begin to impress on you how quickly a culture changes.

Expect banger releases.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
https://insider-gaming.com/yves-guillemots-internal-memo-to-staff/

The memo includes announcing the Assassin’s Creed Shadows delay and the news that Star Wars Outlaws underperformed.

The full memo reads,

“Dear All,

We just issued a press release announcing our revised financial targets for the current fiscal year.

First, Star Wars Outlaws’ initial sales proved softer than expected, despite solid ratings from players that recognized the game’s faithful transcription of the original trilogy’s essence and richness: 76 on Metacritic, 3.85/5 on PS store, ~4/5 on Xbox and 4.4/5 on Epic. While players praise the sense of detail and the beauty of the graphics, the effectiveness of the reputation system, and endearing characters like Nix, some also noted areas of improvement. The development teams are already hard at work on this, focusing on save issues, stealth mechanics, more frequent quest checkpoints, and better NPC AI. I’m confident that these updates will significantly improve the player experience by allowing us to deliver on its promise, and make Star Wars Outlaws a must-play game and long-term seller. In parallel, the Publishing teams and developers are closely collaborating to increase the engagement with the game and boost player acquisition during Black Friday and the holiday season.

In today’s ultra-competitive market, players expect extraordinary experiences and ultra-polished games on Day 1. We need to continue to improve when it comes to fine-tuning our games and delivering outstanding gameplay. This is what will enable Ubisoft to again create the best games in the industry.

Consequently, we decided to delay Assassin’s Creed Shadows to February 14, 2025. The game is already playable and of high quality, and has all the features the team wanted to integrate into this ambitious experience. This unusual decision at such an advanced stage is motivated by our desire to offer an optimal experience from launch on all platforms and various PC configurations, and to remove the small frictions we typically used to address in post-launch title updates. We will also use the extra time to complement the experience with a few high-impact secondary quests that will bring even more memorable.

Additionally, as a result of listening to player feedback on other topics, our new releases, starting with Assassin’s Creed Shadows, will again be available on Steam on launch day, in addition to being available on first parties’, Epic’s and Ubisoft’s stores. Also, we are currently rethinking our Season Pass model for our upcoming games. For Assassin’s Creed Shadows, all players will have access to the game at the same time, and those who have pre-ordered the game will get the first expansion for free

Beyond the first important short-term actions that I’ve outlined above, the company’s top management will focus on accelerating the improvement of our production, communication, and publishing practices and processes in close collaboration with all these teams, with the objective to put players at the heart of all our decisions. We will regularly update you on the progress we’re making.

Lastly, I’d like to address the recent polarized coverage around our creative choices. We are an entertainment company. As such, our objective is not to endorse any specific agenda. Our mission has always been to entertain players and enrich their lives with original and memorable experiences, that resonate with a global audience.

This setback should not discourage us but serve as a learning experience and drive us to act even more quickly. More than ever, let’s continue to believe in our ability to bounce back, while approaching the challenges we face with lucidity and determination. I would like to thank you for your commitment and to reiterate my confidence in our collective ability to surprise and meet the expectations of a growing number of passionate players in the long term.

Yves

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I enjoyed AC up to Unity, then they tried to go too large with the worlds with Origins onwards and I fell off it. I mostly loved Far Cry 5 but then New Dawn was a trashfire with the mtx/GaaS bullshit which continued into FC6, which was also far too big like AC: Origins onwards.

Also changed the combat for the worse with Origins onwards imo*, then tried to make it some hybrid of the old and new from Odyssey onwards that was just as rote as the old combat but now it looked like shit blending wise cause they didn't want to pay for as much motion capture and also tried to make it less rigid... but somehow it ended up just as rigid AND looked worse.

*I understand the combat from 1 to Unity was boring for some since it was a lite version of arkham combat and far too easy, but at least it didn't look like shit, they could've expanded it. I wish they'd just copied more things from Arkham combat to add difficulty and variety, that combat system isn't perfect and it gets old too once you've seen all the animations 100x but you had a lot more options than Unity.

SHA

It's just about gameplay, you won't find anything inside Ubisoft headquarters, if we get video comparisons like red dead vs hogwarts or vs the recently released game from Ubisoft you'll get a clearer picture of what's happening.

Sounds like they are gearing up to find loopholes to fire a whole bunch of people, since you can't just fire people for no reason in the EU, and even then it wouldn't be firing them, but a "workforce reduction", which means severance and quite a bit of legal negotiation if someone wants to fight it.

Mossybrew

Personally I like Ubisoft, it's just more a case of "what have you done for me lately" - seems lately they are putting out stuff I have no interest in like Avatar or SW Outlaws, or taking a good premise like Skull & Bones and fucking it up. Where's my Division 3? Where's the next Ghost Recon Wildlands? How about a new Far Cry that actually shakes up the formula and doesn't put me to sleep halfway through the game?

Top Bottom