• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Guri

For the ones who finished:

I'm in the part after
Roth died
. How much until the ending? I'm liking it so far!

Skilletor

Maybe the game was telling him it's not a good idea to drop down in the middle of a bunch of guys armed to the teeth? I've been playing it for a while now and I can't say it's a strategy I've ever considered.

The game is easy and melee so powerful that it doesn't matter. I'm constantly bumrushing people or letting myself get surrounded since it saves me time aiming.

Not that that's hard, either. I haven't used anything other than the Bow and Arrow except where I'm forced to use something else and the game is easy.

The game is easy would basically be the point of my post and it doesn't matter how you approach an enemy since the game is easy.

The game seldom takes away control. Exploration and getting around is all done by you and the gear you upgrade.

Combat is varied, you can upgrade dodge and melee and actually rush guys, you can mix up guns and bows depending on whether guys are rushing you or are pelting you from far away with bullets or dynamite. You can stealth a lot of the sections. You can use the environment. And the mechanics and controls are all rock solid.

The set pieces are the most on-rails, but man, some of them really are done pretty damn well.

You can debate challenge, I've found some of the heated firefights quite challenging, requiring you to mix tactics on the fly all the time. The game doesn't even allow you to stay in the same cover spot, or you get nailed by dynamite or rushed by melee guys. You don't die that easily, but would that really have helped this game and what it's trying to achieve?

Since the game is apparently trying to fellate the player with pretty graphics, set pieces, and looking cool with no risk of challenging the player or threatening the player with an actual death, it would indeed be at odds with what the developers are trying to achieve.

SmithnCo

They didn't manage to copy Uncharted well enough? I had a lot of fun with Uncharted 2's multiplayer.

Whats the deal?

In two modes each team has a different objective and it usually ends up horribly unbalanced. People drop out constantly which leaves the matches one-sided. One-hit kills are pretty frequent.

Ending up in a melee fight is hilarious though. Just because it looks so dumb.

Oh, and some of the maps/objective placement is awful.

Ninjimbo

So I beat the game. The last few hours were fantastic. Hopefully the sequel arrives in a shorter time frame. This game NEEDS a sequel. Lara is awesome in this game.

Dahbomb

Was browsing through the concept arts, found this image thought it was cool:

tomb_raider.jpg

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
sounds more fun than the main game, at least there people can like toss people off platforms right?

While drinking maybe but nah, I gave the SP game 5/10 and the multiplayer a 2/10 multi is just a complete mess.

This game NEEDS a sequel. Lara is awesome in this game.

what make the new Lara any good? seriously a honest question,what even make her better than the old Lara?

She is not a realistic character and don't act like a human just a shell of Hollywood typical action female and storytelling her "growth" in the game was forced and rushed, and there is nothing unique or new about her that really make her "awesome".

destrudo

Anyone else keep TressFX turned off? I mean, it's a cool novelty and in the future something like that maybe become common place, but it seems so out of place in this game. Her hair is always perfect looking even when Lara is covered in Blood. Not to mention it's kind of wonky and the shadows on it look horrible. I honestly find it distracting, lol.

I manufacture my own platforming in the main game by purposely jumping off cliffs just to prove that you can.
I like to hang on some platforms during those bombastic spectacle moments where everything is falling apart and exploding. Just, ya know, hang there on some slab of wood and contemplate life while everything burns around me and my platform creaks and groans. Maybe a minute or so later I'll jump to the next handhold and watch the previous platform break apart. Wooh, barely made it!

Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary.

But seriously, I think this game marks *the* very moment where non-emergent spectacle no longer holds any mana or satisfaction whatsoever. If it comes about through gameplay actions, I'm all for it. If its running on autopilot and I'm just there to witness it in some semi-cinematic interaction, its just hollow.

Should I just abandon mainstream gaming altogether now? Or...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Anyone else keep TressFX turned off? I mean, it's a cool novelty and in the future something like that maybe become common place, but it seems so out of place in this game. Her hair is always perfect looking even when Lara is covered in Blood. Not to mention it's kind of wonky and the shadows on it look horrible. I honestly find it distracting, lol.

I did,real long her don't move like that, it was like having angry snakes dancing on Lara head all the time and for me that kept breaking the immersion,they need to tone that down.

Ninjimbo

The fact that she graduates from student archaeologist into a ruthless badass is enough to make me like her. She gets caught up in a hopeless situation and gets beaten down by nearly everyone and everything and takes it like a champ. That's just cool.

One of my favorite parts is when she tells Roth that she's going to go rescue the pilot. When Roth protest her decision, she's just like "No. Fuck you. I'm going to go there and save him. You shut up and sit down."

You say Hollywood action female, but how many of those do we actually have in video games that star in their own franchises? Aya Brea in Parasite Eve, I guess. I can't think of any franchises and I certainly haven't played any.

Amir0x

Banned
While drinking maybe but nah, I gave the SP game 5/10 and the multiplayer a 2/10 multi is just a complete mess.

Damn multiplayer must be an unmitigated disaster if it's that bad even compared to the SP lol

I manufacture my own platforming in the main game by purposely jumping off cliffs just to prove that you can.

I assume you must be able to launch people in multi.

hahaha. Lara Croft all going 'come on... let me die. For old time's sake, ol' chap?' ;)

Whelp, one way to tell that it was a successful launch is by the publishers reaction. They gave every store manager at Gamestop a copy. Granted, SE did the same with Sleeping Dogs but not Hitman.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Are the completion achievements bugged on steam? I've got 100% in every zone but it didn't trigger either "No stone left unturned" or "Inconceivable!". Do you need to finish the game for them to pop?

XOMTOR

I like to hang on some platforms during those bombastic spectacle moments where everything is falling apart and exploding. Just, ya know, hang there on some slab of wood and contemplate life while everything burns around me and my platform creaks and groans. Maybe a minute or so later I'll jump to the next handhold and watch the previous platform break apart. Wooh, barely made it!

Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary.

But seriously, I think this game marks *the* very moment where non-emergent spectacle no longer holds any mana or satisfaction whatsoever. If it comes about through gameplay actions, I'm all for it. If its running on autopilot and I'm just there to witness it in some semi-cinematic interaction, its just hollow.

Should I just abandon mainstream gaming altogether now? Or...

Thanks man, this had me laughing for a good while. Usually in games like this, I get so bored, I spend more time trying to break the game than I do "playing" it. It's so interesting to see the flaws when it's not played exactly how the developer intended.

Grisby

Heh heh. Left an ammo box bomb in the middle of the other teams rescue circle. Got 4 kills/downs. So funny seeing everyone get blown up.

Also, every MP game needs a bow in it. Really satisfying using it in TR and Crysis 3.

x-Lundz-x

Just completed the game with 100% completion, just have a few achievements to work on. Man, that was just an incredible ride. GOTY easily so far. Still tons of games left but man, this was soooooo good. Crystal dynamics just hit a huge freaking home run with this. Man it was simply amazing!!!

Never played any of the past games in Tomb Raider series. But I got this game as a gift from a friend and had a relatively enjoyable time all the way until I quit. I do have some questions though:

1.) I'm currently at the old, busted radio location but should I be prepared for more Quick Time Events? This is honestly the one downside I have when playing this game (RE4 is the only game that did it right) and dying because I pressed the wrong button is not at all fun.

2.) Does Lara ever get an actual Melee move beside the shove and throwing dirt? I don't expect her to be flipping around or throwing fists at enemies. But I do at least expected her to be using that axe of her's in combat besides using it as a finisher.

3.) This is more for a veteran of the series but do any of Lara's crewmates appear or are mentioned in some form in the past games? Or are these original characters? A simple "Yes" or "No" as an answer to the former would be good enough for me.

Alfredo

Beat the game today, got all the collectibles. I really liked the game, and had a great time playing it.

My favorite part was exploring the environments and getting EVERYTHING. I wish the "challenge" items showed up on your map, though. Had to resort to video guides for those.

The puzzles were pretty fun, and kind of clever. I was disappointed that every tomb only had one puzzle each, though.

I didn't care about the story one bit. Not really sure why. I was hoping there was going to be some terrible secret about the island, but the nature of the island turned out to be sort of predictable, I guess?

Dahbomb

1.) I'm currently at the old, busted radio location but should I be prepared for more Quick Time Events? This is honestly the one downside I have when playing this game (RE4 is the only game that did it right) and dying because I pressed the wrong button is not at all fun.
Yea there will be more QTEs in the game.

2.) Does Lara ever get an actual Melee move beside the shove and throwing dirt? I don't expect her to be flipping around or throwing fists at enemies. But I do at least expected her to be using that axe of her's in combat besides using it as a finisher.
You can upgrade in the Brawler category to be able to use the Axe as a melee. It's mapped to F on PC.

Dead

well not really...yet
I almost wish there was some kind of Horde/Arena mode or something in this game, just due to how satisfying it is to gank suckers with the Bow and Arrow, and melee dudes by shoving arrows into their knees and then shotgunning em in the face.

Also I wanna see a DLC where Croft Manor gets invaded and you have to take out hundreds of dudes in order to save it. And then after the full Manor is available to explore complete with catacombs, swimming pool and butler than you trap in the freezer.

zychi

Banned
So I'm at the part where you enter the Shanty and
scot jumps off to protect la-ra

how far am i into the main story?

SmithnCo

I almost wish there was some kind of Horde/Arena mode or something in this game, just due to how satisfying it is to gank suckers with the Bow and Arrow, and melee dudes by shoving arrows into their knees and then shotgunning em in the face.

That would've been way better than the MP modes they have now.

Dahbomb

what make the new Lara any good? seriously a honest question,what even make her better than the old Lara?

She is not a realistic character and don't act like a human just a shell of Hollywood typical action female and storytelling her "growth" in the game was forced and rushed, and there is nothing unique or new about her that really make her "awesome".
Because she's more bad ass than most other video game protagonists. She's like a Leon Kennedy, a good ol fashion cheesy action hero. Although I don't think she is better or worse than old Lara.

Dead

well not really...yet
That would've been way better than the MP modes they have now.
Square-Enix should have gone the Ubi-Soft route and had Eidos Montreal work on additional parts for the Single Player (maybe have them work exclusively on side missions or something)

It doesn't look to me like the single player was affected by adding the MP, but those funds could have gone to something more worthwhile.

I kinda loved it when Lara got the grenade launcher.

All the enemies appropriately lost their shit and started freaking the fuck out. In most games, you get an RPG or a Grenade Launcher, no one cares. It's like just any other gun. But I loved how all the enemies actually noticed and... freak out. That's some serious shit. It's a nice touch.

Top Bottom