• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

They don't, not all of them. A lot of the cutscenes are there to mask the loading time so if the game hasn't loaded yet you are forced to watch them.

Hadn't run across this yet, that kinda sucks - but then again yeah, what's worse, a cutscene or a loading screen?

What really sucks is when you're in some highly directed portion of a game, and skipping the cutscene results in an equal amount of time wasted trying to find the spot they wanted you to run towards to start the next cutscene.

Woo-Fu

Banned
For anybody worried it clearly labels the point of no return. Just got there myself, decided to take a break. Last major fight was exhausting.

mxgt

Banned
Great game so far...sad to see its bringing out the worst of some of GAF and making Pachter look justified in his hate.

People who dislike the game generally make long, reasonable posts on why they don't like it.

I see nothing wrong with that, not everyone is going to like the game. I personally find it average at best but you don't see me going around making comments like this towards people who like the game.

Hadn't run across this yet, that kinda sucks - but then again yeah, what's worse, a cutscene or a loading screen?

What I hate are the forced "walking" loading sections. Its the same in mass effect 1. Masking loading is all good, but when you can do it in seconds on my PC just throw up a loading screen and get me back into the action. I shouldn't be forced to go through the whole thing when the game loaded 30 seconds ago.

I see nothing wrong with that, not everyone is going to like the game. I personally find it average at best but you don't see me going around making comments like this towards people who like the game.

I think a source of conflict is to me it is very much a "4 hours in loving it this game is awesome"...."finished it, meh wish there was more depth to it" kind of game. People will have a hard time accepting the later criticisms when they are having such a blast in the early game. I think the weight of opinion will change in a few more days towards the negative but those who love it will probably be able to articulate their points a lot better.

And in defense of Tomb Raider, I suppose I'd rather sit through a dreadful cutscene to mask loading then a black screen :p

The worst of GAF = people going through great lengths to explain their problems (and likes) about a game?
Right, because most of the hate for the game here has been backed up with well thought reasoning.

Seance

Banned
Just made it to the
shipwreck coast
. My lord this game is beautiful. I feel like an idiot because im not sure how to do the optional tomb
electrified water

One of the better reviews imho.

Tomb Raider is never challenging, either emotionally or in what it asks you to do. It gestures at being something deeper, but I don’t think you can simply tell the player what to feel. I wanted to participate in Lara’s journey, but in the end I just held the button down and tried not to ruin it.

The areas where Tomb Raider comes together are those where you’re given more freedom. When the circumstances are right, Tomb Raider becomes a decent if narrow stealth action game, and figuring out how to silently eliminate the maximum number of enemies before being detected is satisfying and says something about the person Lara is becoming.
Also exactly mirrors my experience so far.

Dahbomb

Sounds about right.

The best portion of the game is after you beat the game and you are going back to find all the collectibles.

No cutscenes, no QTEs, no scripted events, very limited enemies that can be dispatched by melee combat and just you against the environment. I still died plenty of times trying to make some jump and fell from a great height trying to get to that last nest of eggs.

SmithnCo

Just made it to the
shipwreck coast
. My lord this game is beautiful. I feel like an idiot because im not sure how to do the optional tomb
electrified water

That one was a bit tricky, I figured it out by accident.

You have to "block" the source of electricity from the water.

Amir0x

Banned
Right, because most of the hate for the game here has been backed up with well thought reasoning.

It absolutely has. In excruciating, agonizing detail, even. With essay-length posts, even. So if you do want to suggest such things, I can almost guarantee you I can point out any individual you have in mind and their corresponding hugely detailed post describing precisely why they have problems with this game.

And I can point out similar posts for those who love the game. So what you need to do is stop taking your love of a product personally, because it's clouding how you see people's behavior. Stop trying to generalize how people are acting.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just made it to the
shipwreck coast
electrified water
Do you want a hint?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Sounds about right.

The best portion of the game is after you beat the game and you are going back to find all the collectibles.

No cutscenes, no QTEs, no scripted events, very limited enemies that can be dispatched by melee combat and just you against the environment. I still died plenty of times trying to make some jump and fell from a great height trying to get to that last nest of eggs.
Depends how you play it, although it may leave less to do after

Dahbomb

Just made it to the
shipwreck coast
electrified water
You pull the raft underneath the electrical device so that it doesn't electrocute the water
. That one took me a bit to figure out.

Sounds about right.

I should have done this. I really should have done this

Dahbomb

Also you can't get every item in an area without having all your equipment. Some stuff you can get early but is so much easier when you come back to it after beating the game. Like those statues you have to light at the beginning, they required a light source for you to light up your touch but later on you get a fire starter so you turn it on whenever.

Game is 10-12 hours on Hard. Length varies depending upon how hard you try to go collectibles and optimal tombs.

How long is the game generally on Hard? I may rent from Redbox and try and beat it in a day.

What is the length of the game for those who have completed it?

Depends how you play. There is a lot of optional collecting and the difficulty mode doesn't change anything in this regard.

Somewhere between 10-15 hours will see you through if you have a decent go of getting it all. You could probably half that if you just want to blow through it (which would be a complete waste of what little is there).

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Depends how you play. There is a lot of optional collecting and the difficulty mode doesn't change anything in this regard.

Somewhere between 20-25 hours will see you through if you have a decent go of getting it all.

Excellent, thanks! Rental here I come next week.

TAS

Somewhere between 20-25 hours will see you through if you have a decent go of getting it all.

That's what I figured. Ok thanks. That definitely won't give me enough time to complete it by Tuesday (GOW) so I'll have to temporarily put it on the backburner.

That's what I figured. Ok thanks. That definitely won't give me enough time to complete it by Tuesday (GOW) so I'll have to temporarily put it on the backburner.

There is no way that your looking at 20-25

Its going to be about 16 max if your going for 100% completion.

8-12 hours for just the story.

Dahbomb

You can get 100% in single player even in a rental. The only hard part is completing the challenges as they don't show up on your map. The relics, journals and GPS caches are revealed on the map when you get the treasure map for the area.

Survival instinct makes things easier but not required. Its not like its going to help you find those microscopic GPS caches unless you use your map.

Derrick01

Banned
One of the better reviews imho.

Also exactly mirrors my experience so far.

PCG tends to give pretty good reviews outside of Bioware games. I don't know why but Bioware games make them go full-retard. If anyone thinks I'm bluffing go to metacritic and read the PCG summary on Dragon Age 2.

you can spend 20 hours easy if you don't use survival instinct and combine that with trying to collect every little doodad

Yeah if you didn't use survival you could get that kind of mileage.
Good point.

I'm going through the game using only the bow(trying everything I can to make the combat interesting) except for when the tin can dudes come out and revisiting areas as I get the upgrades for them. Even with that I am hovering at 11 hours right now and I figure I got 2 left at the most. Plus another 2 to complete.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah if you didn't use survival you could get that kind of mileage.
Good point.

I'm going through the game using only the bow(trying everything I can to make the combat interesting) except for when the tin can dudes come out and revisiting areas as I get the upgrades for them. Even with that I am hovering at 11 hours right now and I figure I got 2 left at the most. Plus another 2 to complete.

also maybe if you try to hunt the island free of jackrabbits and deer and build a hut out of their skeletons for shelter, that'd add another 2 hours

Sanctuary

I would make a bad reviewer because I use the whole scale. 5/10 is average and 4 is slightly below average, which in fact I feel like I was being kind to TR by giving it that. But since the status quo for AAA games is mediocrity this fits the bill nicely.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49302783&postcount=6532

I really don't see how 5/10 can possibly be conisdered "average" when it's a failure. Even "using the whole scale".

Anyway, I agree with a lot of your points in your summary, but then you decided to focus more on the negative aspects and left out some aspects that actually matter. This shouldn't be on any GOTY list, and I would probably feel disappointed if I had actually paid retail for it. As a rental though, it was at least worth playing once.

Dahbomb

There are enough skeletons in the game to make a palace out of.

I really don't see how 5/10 can possibly be conisdered "average" when it's a failure. Even "using the whole scale".

Anyway, I agree with a lot of your points in your summary, but then you decided to focus more on the negative aspects and left out some aspects that actually matter. This shouldn't be on any GOTY list, and I would probably feel disappointed if I had actually paid retail for it. As a rental though, it was at least worth playing once.
5 is average using the 1-10 scale as it's right in the middle. In the industry a 7.5 is closer to the average but the industry uses the school letter grade so a 7.5 is a C for most.

TheOddOne

[Game spoilers!]
After Conrad Roth's death, the level design in the jungle reminded me so much of MGS3: Snake Eater's section. While stealth is encouraged is earlier sections, the jungle section goes full out stealth for the get-go. Really cool.

Derrick01

Banned

Most of my negatives were gameplay focused. Gameplay's the only thing that matters in the end.

And a 5/10 is not a failure, we're not going by American school standards here. I will not use the 7-10 scale in judging a game. You can go read game informer if you want that.

Dahbomb

[Game spoilers!]
After Conrad Roth's death, the level design in the jungle reminded me so much of MGS3: Snake Eater's section. While stealth is encouraged is earlier sections, the jungle section goes full out stealth for the get-go. Really cool.
That was one of the best parts in the game.

Sanctuary

[Game spoilers!]

Much of the game kept reminding me of so many other games I've played, as though Crystal Dynamics had a committee deciding which elements and set pieces from other (well selling) games they should rip off.

Much of the game kept reminding me of so many other games I've played, as though Crystal Dynamics had a committee deciding which elements and set pieces from other (well selling) games they should rip off.

The only parts that gave me that thought was the set pieces. Some of them are really bad which is unfortunate because the game is at its strongest when its letting you just tackle things at the pace you want instead of being interrupted by another janky looking falling apart house,bridge,plane.ect...

That was one of the best parts in the game.
Did that section last night and was the first true interactive high point for me.

Basically, if the enemies are already in the environment and milling about on patrols or the like, it can be a really fun skirmish. If the enemies are triggered to pop out from multiple locations, in waves, regardless of how stealthy you're being, the combat falls flat. For me anyway. Because then its just a matter of firing from cover until you're barraged with explosives or molotovs, scramble to alternate cover, repeat.

Locke_211

I disliked most of the publicity but am really enjoying the game. It's not quite what I would want from an ideal TR game, but it's much, much nearer than the publicity made it look! Just the fact that right from the start you know they're looking for a lost culture makes it more TR than I'd gathered. And the new Lara is a superb variation on classic Lara.

TheOddOne

Yep, feel the same way. Batman: Arkham Asylum, Uncharted, Prince of Persia 2008, Assassins Creed and Metal Gear Solid vibes are all over this game.

Amir0x

Banned
Most of my negatives were gameplay focused. Gameplay's the only thing that matters in the end.

And a 5/10 is not a failure, we're not going by American school standards here. I will not use the 7-10 scale in judging a game. You can go read game informer if you want that.

Pfft, you and I both know gameplay is not the -only- thing that matters in the end :p

We're not one of the sheeple who try to pretend visuals and other aspects of the presentation are unimportant for our gaming cred; we know what VIDYAgames are all about, yo! To freedom and a visual tomorrow!

Dicer

Banned
Beat is with 66% completion, kinda mixed about the ending...seemed anti-climatic for me

Was hoping
you'd get to fight the Queen

Overall a fun ride...hopefully they can expand on it

Top Bottom