• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

It's disco era anime. How good are you expecting it to look?

Age is irrelevant (See how well animated some of the classic Disney cartoons were). OG Gundam looks bad because OG anime is mostly made on the "cheap". You can thank Tezuka for that and how he got Astro Boy on the air (which in turn influenced how most anime moving forward were produced).

Fuuka 5

One of the most annoying aspects of most harems is the great question of why the female characters throw themselves at the bland everydude that is the main character. What drives them to just chomp at his dick bits like the sky is falling? Now, a good harem, if you believe in such a thing give at least some semblance of reason for the attraction.

Fuuka doesn't. Fuuka doesn't even seem to try that much. Christ just look at this interaction right here.

download.png

New female haremette is assuaging the the main doofus that he doesn't look like a nerd with his band equipment. Said main character...
download_1.png

"Fuck off the edge of my dick lady."
download_2.png

Passionate stirring stuff guys.

Chase17

She loves him for what's important Hellwarden, his twitter account!

I'm going to be upset when whatever it is that is supposed to make this show interesting is a cliffhanger at the finale.

Fuuka 5

One of the most annoying aspects of most harems is the great question of why the female characters throw themselves at the bland everydude that is the main character. What drives them to just chomp at his dick bits like the sky is falling? Now, a good harem, if you believe in such a thing give at least some semblance of reason for the attraction.

Fuuka doesn't. Fuuka doesn't even seem to try that much. Christ just look at this interaction right here.

They're like friends on twitter though. :p

As we all know, twitter is key to being a ladies man I guess? : P

But seriously, I agree with you. Homie is like the most least interesting harem protagonist I've ever seen. Dude constantly acts like a sad sack and it's a hassle to hold conversations with others. Like I know most harem anime have the protagonist do the bare minimum to attract girls, but Haruna is in like a league of his own.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Also Final Fantasy 7 is 20 years old today.
I was SO close to beating FF7, but that awful final area where you have to choose where to put the save icon down screwed me over.

I remember getting a copy of that when I was in high school for only $15 at Sam Goody (which no longer is in my town) just to see what the hype was about.

.......also plz made Crisis Core HD, S-E. That freakin' ending, jeez, I knew it was coming but it was still so wonderfully executed.

I dunno. I'm kind of happy people randomly showed up to watch Sasuke get his ass beat.

But I'm not for competition between ratings much. Just so long as my favorite shows don't go anywhere until they're done.

Age is irrelevant (See how well animated some of the classic Disney cartoons were). OG Gundam looks bad because OG anime is mostly made on the "cheap". You can thank Tezuka for that and how he got Astro Boy on the air (which in turn influenced how most anime moving forward were produced).
Is budget the reason why OG Macross looks better than OG Gundam?
Fuuka 5

School Days made me want to question my life and sanity. What's Fuuka going to make me feel? I finished ep 3, but there' nothing about it that's making want to watch more than one ep every so often.

cntr

Banned
The original Gundam was the first mecha show ever to have giant robots as war machines instead of super fighters, so yeah it had no funding. That's also why it had all those goofy things like the Gundam Hammer and the Core Fighter.

...and it actually got cancelled, so.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Does that even happen in real life? Has anyone actually had that happen to them?

..........who even started that trope in the first place?

I imagine on the very rare chance that this did happen, it wouldn't result in a slap or punch into the sky or a "HOW DARE YOU". It would mostly just be awkward and two people being embarrassed, and then moving on with their day.

Raxus

If you want to watch Rom Com smut bullshit at least do yourself a favor and watch Prison School and get some QUALITY smut.

bigkrev

If you want Rom Com that's bad, you should watch Nisekoi

I hope it gets a second season just the complete disregard for human life brutality of that final chapter can be animated. Seriously, I dropped my iPad when I read it because I had no idea the writer was that big a savage

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I hope it gets a second season just the complete disregard for human life brutality of that final chapter can be animated. Seriously, I dropped my iPad when I read it because I had no idea the writer was that big a savage

No no, Fuuka is special. Nisekoi is just bad, it's not Seo.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I imagine on the very rare chance that this did happen, it wouldn't result in a slap or punch into the sky or a "HOW DARE YOU". It would mostly just be awkward and two people being embarrassed, and then moving on with their day.
"& that's the story of how I meet my waifu your mother."

*credits roll*

ckohler

Episode 42 "Deadbeat Dad"
This week Grexeno, B-Dubs, ckohler and Crocodile discuss Super's humor, anime after-lifes, f'ing bubbles, unicorn's plot fanservice, Hisoka's true feelings, bite marks, and bear cyborgs.

Audio:
http://www.ckohler.net/toonamigafpodcast/Episode042.mp3

Timecodes:
0:01:40 News
0:02:48 DB Super
0:17:42 DBZ Kai
0:29:04 Jojo
0:39:06 Gundam Unicorn
0:51:23 HxH
1:00:29 Shippuden
1:08:22 One Piece

You can subscribe in your podcast app using this address:
http://www.ckohler.net/toonamigafpodcast/podcast.rss

Nisekoi already got a second season

cntr

Banned
In the middle of listening to the podcast:

For what it's worth, as someone who knows all the references, I don't find Unicorn confusing at all. That isn't a defense of Unicorn, I still think the plot was rather "meh" and the presentation was pretty "bleh". But while I do agree that the plot is presented terribly, it's not that complex, and it's fairly simplistic once you boil down to it. And the same goes for most Gundam shows.

Compared to a proper space politics show, like, say, Babylon 5 or Deep Space 9, Gundam shows tend to have pretty simplistic and arguably immature plots. The complexity comes from their pretentious "anime" presentation. The older Gundam shows didn't have this pretentiousness, which is why they're a lot better than any of the recent ones, including Unicorn. Saying G Gundam had the best politics of any Gundam show is a joke, but it also isn't.

And yeah Grexeno was right, Yamato 2199 was like a reverse Unicorn, it was made as a TV series, but the episodes were recut into movies and then the original episodes were released as OVAs. And I'd sacrifice any Gundam show to get Yamato 2199 on Toonami, dammit, it's so much better and cleverer than any of them.

And nope, Beerus's line about the length of an anime episode wasn't a Funimation thing. It's a line right from Toriyama himself.

Seda

In the middle of listening to the podcast:

For what it's worth, as someone who knows all the references, I don't find Unicorn confusing at all. That isn't a defense of Unicorn, I still think the plot was rather "meh" and the presentation was pretty "bleh". But while I do agree that the plot is presented terribly, it's not that complex, and it's fairly simplistic once you boil down to it. And the same goes for most Gundam shows.

Compared to a proper space politics show, like, say, Babylon 5 or Deep Space 9, Gundam shows tend to have pretty simplistic and arguably immature plots. The complexity comes from their pretentious "anime" presentation. The older Gundam shows didn't have this pretentiousness, which is why they're a lot better than any of the recent ones, including Unicorn. Saying G Gundam had the best politics of any Gundam show is a joke, but it also isn't.

And yeah Grexeno was right, Yamato 2199 was like a reverse Unicorn, it was made as a TV series, but the episodes were recut into movies and then the original episodes were released as OVAs. And I'd sacrifice any Gundam show to get Yamato 2199 on Toonami, dammit, it's so much better and cleverer than any of them.

And nope, Beerus's line about the length of an anime episode wasn't a Funimation thing. It's a line right from Toriyama himself.

Im still a Gundam neophyte, really, but, part way through my Zeta watchthrough, I would say MSG and MSG:Zeta are both quite a bit more straightforward than IBO, which never convinced me that the show adequately outlined the motivations for either the protagonists or antagonists.

Obviously I don't know about Unicorn though.

cntr

Banned
I thought IBO's plot was really straight-forward, "the protagonists want Martian independence because independence is good" and "Gjallarhorn wants not-independence because they'd lose profits", and "McGillis wants to be in power because being in power is good".

Which yeah, doesn't actually explain anything at all, but despite the show pretending otherwise, that really is the plot of S1.

...also damn, I talk about Gundam way too often. I don't even like the series that much!

Moaradin

The main reason I'm not enjoying Unicorn as much as IBO right now is the characters. I thought IBO established them well enough, and I actually liked most of the main characters in that show. Mika, Orga, and Biscuit were all interesting. With Unicorn, I'm struggling to even remember most of their names let alone their purpose in the story. You got the main protagonist with the weird name, green eyes girl that's a princess I guess? Then there's that other girl with the cool mech. That's all I got.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, I liked IBO, since while the plot was typical Gundam nonsense, the characters weren't. They're enjoyable and even relatable, unlike pretty much any Gundam show made in the last 15 years.

Mikazuki in particular is so much of an improvement on the stoic protagonist that he's amazing compared to the likes of Heero, Yamato, or Setsuna.

Seda

I agree with with you both on the characters.

On a related note, so far, all the character drama in MSG and Zeta is /bad/. I think I said this before, but they are like anti-IBO flipping strengths and weaknesses.

cntr

Banned
IBO is fairly unique for a Gundam show. Most Gundam shows have characters range from "alright" to "terrible" (with rare standouts), and a plot that ranges from "good" to "terrible".

IBO's focus on characterization pretty much doesn't exist in any other Gundam. And in the weakest defense of its plot, as boring as the Brewers and Dort arcs were, they were just that, boring. You can pretend they never happened, and the IBO plot would make sense.

Compared to something like 00's "QUANTUM PARTICLE PSYCHIC GODS", which derailed the entire series...that's a considerable improvement. Which says a lot more about what I expect from a Gundam show than IBO's objective quality, but hey.

The main reason I'm not enjoying Unicorn as much as IBO right now is the characters. I thought IBO established them well enough, and I actually liked most of the main characters in that show. Mika, Orga, and Biscuit were all interesting. With Unicorn, I'm struggling to even remember most of their names let alone their purpose in the story. You got the main protagonist with the weird name, green eyes girl that's a princess I guess? Then there's that other girl with the cool mech. That's all I got.
Marida Cruz don't get explained till like the content that takes place in the fifth OVA if I remember right, Audrey...well just watch ZZ I guess I don't remember much about her in Unicorn, she's kind of just there for the two leads to thirst off of. Banana, well he's just Banana.
IBO is fairly unique for a Gundam show. Most Gundam shows have characters range from "alright" to "terrible" (with rare standouts), and a plot that ranges from "good" to "terrible".

IBO's focus on characterization pretty much doesn't exist in any other Gundam. And in the weakest defense of its plot, as boring as the Brewers and Dort arcs were, they were just that, boring. You can pretend they never happened, and the IBO plot would make sense.

Compared to something like 00's "QUANTUM PARTICLE PSYCHIC GODS", which derailed the entire series...that's a considerable improvement. Which says a lot more about what I expect from a Gundam show than IBO's objective quality, but hey.
You didn't watch Turn A did you? Cause Turn A is more about characters than Gundam fuckery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom