• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'd actually watch a anime about rock paper scissors considering it actually isnt as random as it appears and there are actual competitions of it and anime tends to make everything tense when they want it to be.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I had an awful cold on Saturday night and my phone died around the end of HxH. I watched Shippuden (great) and One Piece (even better) in a daze and actually skipped brushing my teeth and One Punch Man.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
No Game No Life had a hilariously epic version of that Japanese wordplay game (say a word that begins with the last letters of the word the other person said) by having anything they said appear or be erased.

So our hero's first word to test this whole "bring into or erase from existance" out is HYDROGEN BOMB, CAUSING THE ENTIRE PLACE TO EXPLODE.

& they somehow find a way to top that.

Too bad 1.) Sentai has the license, & 2.) it's a pain to dub because you can't just have them say the words in English because then the wordplay connection is lost.

There's an anime where they play basketball with giant robots

Ah yes, Basquash.
It's actually a kind of fascinating show, in that it's obvious that it was being drawn in all kinds of different directions by different parts of the production crew. One side was pushing for a fun family friendly show, another side was pushing for absurd fanservice, there were a ton of subplots that were fighting for attention, etc.

At the very least, it had a great ending transition.

cntr

Banned
I've always wanted a proper superpower sports show. Not like a Kuroko's Basketball thing where the moves are just exaggerated sports techniques, but a My Hero Acaddemia-esque world where everybody has actual superpowers, but use them to play sports.

Jarate

Banned
I've always wanted a proper superpower sports show. Not like a Kuroko's Basketball thing where the moves are just exaggerated sports techniques, but a My Hero Acaddemia-esque world where everybody has actual superpowers, but use them to play sports.
Keijo!!!!!!!!!!!! My man!

zulux21

Yeah I'm not sure who was interested in a Gintama dub. Does Ocean still do significant anime dubbing? I figured they mostly do cartoons for young children now.

I am quite interested in a Gintama dub.
I am not how ever interested in a Gintama dub that starts in the 200s of episodes :/

I need one from the start so I can bother to watch the series until I gets good. I am currently at episode 20 and lacking motivation to continue (even though I told that is when it finally gets good lol)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Props for putting the "FUCKING BUBBLES!" soundclip in the podcast, I love the fact someone else thought of that.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Isn't that basically what The Prince of Tennis is?

cntr

Banned
No, like, in stuff like The Prince of Tennis and Kuroko's Basketball (and Keijo, for that matter), they're ostensibly using normal abilities, just exaggerated way into ridiculousness.

But in the My Hero Academia world, people have actual legitimate superpowers. If a guy who can create explosions with his hands throws a ball, he's propelling the ball with actual explosions.

A sports anime would either implicitly or explicitly present this like "He's so good at throwing stuff that it's as if he's creating explosions!", not as a real physical superpower.

zulux21

No, like, in stuff like The Prince of Tennis and Kuroko's Basketball (and Keijo, for that matter), they're ostensibly using normal abilities, just exaggerated way into ridiculousness.

But in the My Hero Academia world, people have actual legitimate superpowers. If a guy who can create explosions with his hands throws a ball, he's propelling the ball with actual explosions.

A sports anime would either implicitly or explicitly present this like "He's so good at throwing stuff that it's as if he's creating explosions!", not as a real physical superpower.
I don't think you will ever see that pulled off very well though.

sports episodes in super hero shows (see dragon ball z and gohan playing baseball or even a recent super episode) can be fun, but actual powers tend to break sports to the point where mere mortal sports only make for decent gag episodes not full blown series for super heroes.

the closest you might get is tiger and bunny where they turned catching bad guys into basically a sport.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*listens to podcast's retelling of Shippuden"

"Sasuke has to bite her breasts to heal himself by taking her chakra"

OMG SHIPPDUEN TURNED INTO SEIKON NO QWASER, WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO NARUTO ALL THESE YEARS

cntr

Banned
Eh, that depends on how you set up the story. It wouldn't work if you imported straight superhero powers, and actual My Hero Academia quirks are probably too powerful for a sports setting.

But modify the sport and tone down the power system, and you could make it work and be enjoyable. It'd take effort, but it's not impossible.

*listens to podcast's retelling of Shippuden"

"Sasuke has to bite her breasts to heal himself by taking her chakra"

OMG SHIPPDUEN TURNED INTO SEIKON NO QWASER, WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO NARUTO ALL THESE YEARS

I just think Karin was just bleh overall and the whole "Bite her so you can transfer her chakra to you to heal yourself and recover your chakra" was just stupid. It was mostly used as a way to keep Sasuke constantly battling since he kept going into fight by fight with Deidara, Itachi, Killer Bee and eventually
Danzo and Kage Summit
That's the way I viewed it.

cntr

Banned
Naruto sometimes ended up falling into that Akame ga Kill-ish trap of confusing violence and fanservice with being well-written and mature

Regiruler

where's my rock paper scissors anime

that isn't that episode from Jojo Part 4

0ea45a3fa42010c416d833bf27842aa6.jpg

What is up with game's this year and giving me the option to take selfies?

I've never wanted to take a selfie in real life, why would I start in my videogames?

Regiruler

UNSPEAKABLE EVIL STOP RETWEETING SPOILERS ON TWITTER

I already knew about this one unfortunately but I've seen some jojo stuff from you too

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
What is up with game's this year and giving me the option to take selfies?

I've never wanted to take a selfie in real life, why would I start in my videogames?
I barely even use the photo mode in games unless there's a reward for it (trophies, in-game unlockables, etc.), let alone would use the "selfie". I only use the photo mode in Gravity Rush 2 because I need to collect photos for missions or trophies & maybe the tri-pod to help show people where a treasure chest is.

Not to mention, people who post a lot of selfies tend to have inflated self-image/underlying insecurity with a lack of empathy & impulsive behavior.

Regiruler

Speaking of jack, I plan on going to a retreat on Saturday, and it ends after the pre-toonami power hour. I'm debating sending a request home to have all the jack episodes from now until I'm back home to be Tivo'd (which would be a lot of waiting, and apparently the DVR has a tendency to auto-delete shows now even if marked to save), begging Demarco on twitter to have the most recent jack rerun on the AS website (not likely to be successful but WHY ARENT THEY UP THERE ANYWAY), or finding out if they're on netflix or a less savory location (last resort).

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
But somehow they aired Prince of Tennis. :p

That happened because the Programming Department already had the series for Toonami Jetstream and the basically got the show for dirt cheap to free anyway, so the Tonami Braintrust said what the hell as they had an affinity for Prince of Tennis. It is worth going back and listening to the Toonami Pre-Flight about these shows as Jason and Gil actually tell how a show got on Toonami or Adult Swim Action. Incipiently the Slam Dunk tidbit comes from the Prince of Tennis episode.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
oh so when a mobile game has a lyrical version of the FE theme, everyone's okay with it

but when tokyo mirage sessions sharp fe does it with super saiyan marth, everyone flips their shit & considers it an insult to the franchise

I downloaded FE Heroes, need to get around to trying it out. Also I laughed my ass off when I reached that part in TMS#FE

Nintendo's own damn fault not naming the game Persona Emblem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom