• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
EPpnmvM.gif

cntr

Banned
Fun fact: Build Fighters is filled with just as many references to previous Gundam shows as Unicorn, if not more.

Guess which one pulls it off better.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well finally caught up on all the latest Jojo's Bizarre Adventure animes. Guess I should jump into the manga though guess I might just wait for the eventual anime version of Part 5.

I like UC Gundam for its characters. 0079 had an amazing cast. Bright, Amuro and Char are all fantastic characters. The rest of the White Base crew is great as well. Plus you have wonderful Zeon characters like the Zabi family, Rama Ral and Lalah.

Zeta Gundam has much more black and white characters. I've seen people refer to some characters (Reccoa and Katz) as frustrating... but I think that was the point. Reccoa is a flail for Emma, and Katz for Kamille.

ZZ is an interesting case... because it's actually a pretty upbeat show. I personally liked the cast a lot. They were fun. Not your typical gundam cast.

CCA.. well there isn't really a whole lot of time for character exploration. But the moments you do have are pretty good. Sure Quess sucks, and because of that Hathaway kinda sucks too, but the rest of the cast is pretty cool.

Unicorn. There is a lot of navel gazing in this show. Personally... I liked that. There are some great moments where characters are discussing their feelings that actually feel pretty genuine. Banagher is portrayed a little too close to being "right" which is something UC has always avoided well.. but overall, I liked the cast. Zinneman and Marida of course are great.

I like Riddhe. Sue me.

What's up with Steve Staley voicing so many UC protagonists?

When it comes to the UC, I actually found myself enjoying the OVA's more than the actual full length series. Or at least, the 08th Team and War in the Pocket.

Stardust Memory has the worst Gundam Protagonist IMHO.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
oh cool My Hero Academia S2's gonna start March 25th
WOW, that seems rather quick. It's gonna be 12 episodes again, right?

Also oh god, I completely forgot there was a secret dungeon after beating FF15. I've already put close to 86 hours into it, what's a few more to play that dungeon & finish up the final few hunts I unlocked.

zulux21

They got the license to Food Wars too if that ever gets a dub.

food wars was confirmed for a dub and should come out in the second half of this year..

Also oh god, I completely forgot there was a secret dungeon after beating FF15. I've already put close to 86 hours into it, what's a few more to play that dungeon & finish up the final few hunts I unlocked.

there is currently no episode count confirmed for MHA season 2.

it could be 12 or it could be 24-26 neither amount would be surprising at this time.

08th MS Team is kind of bad. People praise it for being "grounded" but it isnt. It's schzephrenic.

Also Kou isn't the worst. He's not good either. But fuck if he isn't better than Shinn Asuka.

Crocodile

In the middle of listening to the podcast:

For what it's worth, as someone who knows all the references, I don't find Unicorn confusing at all. That isn't a defense of Unicorn, I still think the plot was rather "meh" and the presentation was pretty "bleh". But while I do agree that the plot is presented terribly, it's not that complex, and it's fairly simplistic once you boil down to it. And the same goes for most Gundam shows.

Compared to a proper space politics show, like, say, Babylon 5 or Deep Space 9, Gundam shows tend to have pretty simplistic and arguably immature plots. The complexity comes from their pretentious "anime" presentation. The older Gundam shows didn't have this pretentiousness, which is why they're a lot better than any of the recent ones, including Unicorn. Saying G Gundam had the best politics of any Gundam show is a joke, but it also isn't.

And yeah Grexeno was right, Yamato 2199 was like a reverse Unicorn, it was made as a TV series, but the episodes were recut into movies and then the original episodes were released as OVAs. And I'd sacrifice any Gundam show to get Yamato 2199 on Toonami, dammit, it's so much better and cleverer than any of them.

And nope, Beerus's line about the length of an anime episode wasn't a Funimation thing. It's a line right from Toriyama himself.

Yeah the bolded is pretty much what I was trying to argue. Other things like the group watch environment and 1am in the morning don't help.

As for Yamato 2199, I appreciate the correction. I could have sworn is was movie > TV given the discussions in AnimeGaf but if it really was the reverse than yeah it makes sense why 2199 worked out better.

Moaradin

Watched a bit of the first episode. Doesn't sound great as expected. It would be really hard to get me to like a dub for Gintama though. The Japanese cast is too ingrained in my head at this point.

It's also starting like 300 episodes in, which obviously isn't good for any newcomers.

Watched a bit of the first episode. Doesn't sound great as expected. It would be really hard to get me to like a dub for Gintama though. The Japanese cast is too ingrained in my head at this point.

It's also starting like 300 episodes in, which obviously isn't good for any newcomers.

Yeah that's what I'm questioning. Why start so late into the series? Why not at the beginning?

Seda

Yeah I'm not sure who was interested in a Gintama dub. Does Ocean still do significant anime dubbing? I figured they mostly do cartoons for young children now.

I'm kind of the same. I'm watching it right now and it's not really doing it for me. Like, it's way better than Sentai's attempt but I'm too use to the Japanese performances at this point.

Yeah that's what I'm questioning. Why start so late into the series? Why not at the beginning?

If I had to guess, it's probably because Sentai Filmworks still got distribution rights to the original series (aka the first 200+ episodes).

cntr

Banned
Episode count hasn't been announced, but it might be either 14 or 25 episodes rather than the usual 13 or 24, it starts a week early for the typical Spring season release. Or something more complicated, I dunno.

Some people are theorizing that MHA's going to be made as a yearly thing and run a season every March/April, but that's hard to say for sure just from two seasons

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I feel like Gintama is something I would freakin' love but considering how many episodes there are, I can't bring myself to try & play catch up.

I know I don't really need to start at the beginning, but considering my "I MUST WATCH/READ STUFF IN ORDER" mentality for anime/manga, I feel like I should so I'm not missing anything.

I feel like Gintama is something I would freakin' love but considering how many episodes there are, I can't bring myself to try & play catch up.

I know I don't really need to start at the beginning, but considering my "I MUST WATCH/READ STUFF IN ORDER" mentality for anime/manga, I feel like I should so I'm not missing anything.

I read a bit of the manga at some point and, then, just stopped... I enjoyed what I read.

I'll probably get back to it at some point, but I'll definitely be careful in doing a marathon since the last time I did that, I did it with Hunter X Hunter's anime. I got so worn out that i pretty much swore off marathoning stuff.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I actually have like 6 or 7 volumes of the manga, but then I realized "oh god, there's HOW many volumes" & just gave up considering how much it was going to cost.

I had some back luck not realizing just how many volumes long a series was when I'd get them, or just how annoyingly short (i.e. Samurai Champloo & FLCL were both only 2 volumes long).

Mizerman

I started reading the manga version and found it amusing so far.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
8th MS Team is pretty. Has one of the best Gundam battles ever.

The romance and villain kills it and sets the corpse on fire.

08th MS Team is great but all the complaints listed are valid.

It's also the one pre Zeta story that goes HARD in the Federation are just as bad if not worse than Zeon angle.

Yeah I'm not sure who was interested in a Gintama dub. Does Ocean still do significant anime dubbing? I figured they mostly do cartoons for young children now.

Not really. The most three notable shows they've gotten that haven't been continuations that were previously dubbed in Canada are Beyblade Burst, World Trigger and now Gintama. There's also a Ocean dub for DBZ Kai that exists but it's unlikely to air at this rate.

When it comes to the UC, I actually found myself enjoying the OVA's more than the actual full length series. Or at least, the 08th Team and War in the Pocket.

Stardust Memory has the worst Gundam Protagonist IMHO.

I feel like I'm the only one that likes Kou.

0083 was the first UC Gundam I watched a long, long long time ago.

Moaradin

If Kuroko ever got dubbed, I think it would actually be one of those rare sports anime that might do decently on Toonami. Basketball is pretty popular over here, and the show is pretty much a battle shonen anyways. Shit is straight up DBZ with Basketball.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*finishes the post-game secret dungeon in FF15*

WELL THAT SURE WAS AWFUL & THE WORST THING ABOUT THE GAME. Wonder if anyone else on Neogaf thought it was annoying & that the game wasn't designed to be a platformer.

"omg one of the best parts of the game"

..........wut da actual hell....

If Kuroko ever got dubbed, I think it would actually be one of those rare sports anime that might do decently on Toonami. Basketball is pretty popular over here, and the show is pretty much a battle shonen anyways. Shit is straight up DBZ with Basketball.
One could argue they tried that with Eyeshield 21 & the popularity of football. Granted, I'm sure someone will counter-argue with "well the anime version wasn't as good".

cntr

Banned
Eyeshield 21 was amazing, but nah, it was just a really well made sports shounen. Not like Kuroko's Basketball, which was literally basketball DBZ.

Chase17

I've got to continue Kuroko

Was fairly normal until green hair guy started casually hitting full court shots. But those gifs looks like they ramp it up 100x that

cntr

Banned
I loved Eyeshield 21 since it was like the football version of My Hero Academia. Or, rather, My Hero Academia is the battle shounen version of Eyeshield 21. Never watched the anime, though.

The guy who made Kuroko's Basketball's starting a Jump golf manga in a few weeks, so uh, just imagine those gifs with golf, I guess

Chase17

All of the Generation of Miracles pretty much have superpowers
Oh yeah. Was a huge jump, in a fun way, from Kise (ok, this guy can copy the spin move), to green hair shooting legend.

I should try and catch up before that movie/special/epilogue in a couple months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom