• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MSG Spacenoids
Zeta Earthers take a huge lead.
ZZ Space Nazis come back
CCA is a tie.

Federation is pretty bad in MSG too, and usually it seems that White Base survives in spite of the Federation. The only Feddies who aren't WB that are cool are Revel, Matilda and Woody. Everyone else are dicks. Even Bright is sort of a dick at first

Zeta... The Titans are fucking fascists and the regular military are complacent to genocide.

ZZ... Axis Zeon is incompetent as fuck. Earth Federation is conplacent in genocide.

CCA: Char has lost his god damned mind, but the Earth Federation is okay with it as long as they get gold. Londo Bell is pretty boss tho.

UC: Zeon isn't tooooooo bad in this, though they do naughty things. Earth Federation is corrupt, Neo Zeon is ruthless, Anaheim Electronics is up to their usual bullshit.

Hathaways Flash: Hathaway sucks.

F91: Earth Federation is on vacation and can't be bothered to maintain order. Cosmos Babylonia doesn't sound too bad, but a man who got cuckolded wants to vent his anger by committing genocide.

Victory Gundam: the earth Federation basically doesn't exist. A theocracy runs roughshod over the world.

Raxus

Hmm, Raxus, what other videos by this "Mother's Basement" should I wa....

"What's in a Scene? - How SAO Became the Worst Anime Ever"
*thumbnail of episode 24*

........I'M WATCHING THAT NEXT.

Heh, his hatred of SAO is well documented. There are lots of good videos on the channel (hence why it is sky rocketing in subs) but I would advise avoiding the OP analysis for some shows like JoJo and Mob Psycho because, while great, are chock FULL of SPOILERS.

Out of all the videos to get you watching something new (or playing something new) I'd highly recommend the Psychonauts - What's in a Level and Space Brothers - What's in an OP.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Heh, his hatred of SAO is well documented. There are lots of good videos on the channel (hence why it is sky rocketing in subs) but I would advise avoiding the OP analysis for some shows like JoJo and Mob Psycho because, while great, are chock FULL of SPOILERS.

Out of all the videos to get you watching something new (or playing something new) I'd highly recommend the Psychonauts - What's in a Level and Space Brothers - What's in an OP.
Yeah, I might avoid the OP videos for stuff I haven't seen.

omg watching the video I mentioned earlier & he said it's all Yui's fault. I like this guy's line of logic.

But yeah, I'm hoping to get into this guy's work, the only other series I watch that's anime based is Ben the Sage/Anime Abandon, & that's more of "let's review 10+ year old anime but with some smart stuff thrown in". It'd be nice to have something focusing on newer anime, but is actually smart about it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Federation is pretty bad in MSG too, and usually it seems that White Base survives in spite of the Federation. The only Feddies who aren't WB that are cool are Revel, Matilda and Woody. Everyone else are dicks. Even Bright is sort of a dick at first

Zeta... The Titans are fucking fascists and the regular military are complacent to genocide.

ZZ... Axis Zeon is incompetent as fuck. Earth Federation is conplacent in genocide.

CCA: Char has lost his god damned mind, but the Earth Federation is okay with it as long as they get gold. Londo Bell is pretty boss tho.

UC: Zeon isn't tooooooo bad in this, though they do naughty things. Earth Federation is corrupt, Neo Zeon is ruthless, Anaheim Electronics is up to their usual bullshit.

Hathaways Flash: Hathaway sucks.

F91: Earth Federation is on vacation and can't be bothered to maintain order. Cosmos Babylonia doesn't sound too bad, but a man who got cuckolded wants to vent his anger by committing genocide.

Victory Gundam: the earth Federation basically doesn't exist. A theocracy runs roughshod over the world.
Zeons commit all the atrocities in MSG while the feddies are mostly hapless underdogs. It's everything since then that covers the One Year War that either softens the Zeons or turns the Federation into the monsters they are.

Raxus

Is Unicorn worth sticking around for? Watching it I felt like I was missing something, and that episode kind of sucked.

I am going in blind but I would say give it at least 1-2 more episodes. This was cut from an OVA and boy did it show when it just stopped halfway through. The robot fight was promising and we still need to get a feel for the main cast so I would give it a little longer before I say you've given it a fair shake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8wfvLSO5XQ

I legit sometimes wonder who and how they come up with every last idea/detail of stuff like this.
Almost every JoJo OP is a love letter to the series. I really think out of the 7 that currently exist there is only one that is bad/so-so.

Is Unicorn worth sticking around for? Watching it I felt like I was missing something, and that episode kind of sucked.

Unicorn isa fantastic OVA and one of the best in the franchise, but I don't think the tv series is the optimal way to view it, due to the editing

And yes you are missing something: 30 years of continuity. That said, even without it Unicorn is good. My bff loved Unicorn and he is usually apathetic at best to Gundam. He had the luxury of asking me (alot) of questions tho.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Mother's Basement is great
I got a good amount of laughs from his reaction to Yui.

Watching his top 10 anime openings right now. It's kind of neat hearing him build up how he came to the decision to place an OP at that slot while still giving shout outs to others.

Also, I am reminded that Gintama is probably a show I would love, but its sheer episode count prevents me from ever taking the time to check it out.

I wonder if it's gonna be this year or next year when that moment in Shippuden happens that wins best moment, worst moment, and worst animation.

I got a good amount of laughs from his reaction to Yui.

Watching his top 10 anime openings right now. It's kind of neat hearing him build up how he came to the decision to place an OP at that slot while still giving shout outs to others.

Also, I am reminded that Gintama is probably a show I would love, but its sheer episode count prevents me from ever taking the time to check it out.

The good part about it is that you can pretty much jump in and take breaks from it whenever you want due to the structure of the show (other than during the middle of the arc which would be silly since the arcs are usually amazing).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
hey

so

how come none of the villains try to kill shenron

"IF I CAN'T HAVE MY WISH, THEN NOBODY CAN!!"

or be all "thanks for the wish NOW DIE" to ensure that shenron wouldn't reappear

frieza sure had a good chance of doing that

Moaradin

hey

so

how come none of the villains try to kill shenron

"IF I CAN'T HAVE MY WISH, THEN NOBODY CAN!!"

or be all "thanks for the wish NOW DIE" to ensure that shenron wouldn't reappear

frieza sure had a good chance of doing that

King Piccolo does exactly that in Dragon Ball lol

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
King Piccolo does exactly that in Dragon Ball lol
nobody watched dragon ball.

& by "frieza sure had a good chance", I mean to the other dragon that was summoned, not shenron

Obviously, Cell couldn't do it since....well, they never came into play during the battle. But still, you'd think that'd be a huge moment in the series, killing off the literal deus ex machina who can grant wishes/bring people back from the dead.....which I guess considering Shenron came back, didn't really matter. Edit: Nor the fact it never seems to be a concern that Shenron can be hurt, even when Vegeta & Frieza tried to summon one of the dragons.

Raxus

JoJo last night.

tumblr_n7bqj5Tz6N1qjlwa8o1_500.gif

Zeons commit all the atrocities in MSG while the feddies are mostly hapless underdogs. It's everything since then that covers the One Year War that either softens the Zeons or turns the Federation into the monsters they are.

Zeon definitely was "worse" than the Federation. But the Federation displayed is typical disinterest and callousness and arrogance for sure

Hmm, Raxus, what other videos by this "Mother's Basement" should I wa....

"What's in a Scene? - How SAO Became the Worst Anime Ever"
*thumbnail of episode 24*

........I'M WATCHING THAT NEXT.

Geoff's rant in that video is hilarious. It's one I happened to agree with too since Yui is my least favorite character from that series.

bigkrev

Dragonball Super- Watching this at 8:00 was weird, but thankfully I don't expect to be snowed in every weekend. It's kind of funny that they went with such a silly B-plot for the first new canonical TV content in 20ish years, but more power to them. I have no issue with this kind of stuff as long as the battles aren't dragged out like they were in the original DBZ

DBZ Kai- Ah, Gohan the fucking dork. While I was pissed at the fact we got a 8 minute recap at the start of the episode, it sort of worked in the end because while I enjoyed Gohan being a -wacky teen-, I don't think I wanted more than the 12 minutes we got of it.

JoJo- I'm still not sure what the hell I watched. Felt like a fever dream. No other comments

Gundam- The action scenes sure were pretty, Banagher is such a dumb/great name, but man, I was struggling to care about everything else in this. The fact that this is apparently chopped up OVA means that the strange, aburpt ending of the episode is probably not going away, and I don't think I'll be religiously keeping up with this

Hunter x Hunter- also known by the title "Small Children put into stranger danger by creepy old men". All this explaining just bores the shit out of me-
and all it really does is explain why things in the future aren't asspulls. You don't actually have to care/understand any of this!!!!!
. That said, what an ending! Apparently, teaching a cold-blooded assassin all these new tricks might make him even stronger! Using Zushi to show how ridiculously crazy Gon and Killua are- he's a "normal" person training in this technique, and they learn in a night what took him months with strong training to do, but I don't like how this show blatently breaks the Magicians Code by explaining that all Hisoka's magic tricks are actually nen and not actually Magic

Naruto- I fell asleep while watching this, but as someone who doesn't really watch Naruto, it didn't seem any more offensive than any other episode of the show? I was expecting SAO "please fuck me older brother!" level stuff based on the comments here, and was really let down

cntr

Banned
Yeah, King Piccolo killed Shenron in the original Dragonball. Kami revived him afterwards, because that's a thing he can do as the creator of the Dragonballs

Naruto- I fell asleep while watching this, but as someone who doesn't really watch Naruto, it didn't seem any more offensive than any other episode of the show? I was expecting SAO "please fuck me older brother!" level stuff based on the comments here, and was really let down

The episode was basically the start of the Uchiha taking a stanglehold on the series, which is why people were reacting so negatively.

munchie64

nobody watched dragon ball.

& by "frieza sure had a good chance", I mean to the other dragon that was summoned, not shenron

Obviously, Cell couldn't do it since....well, they never came into play during the battle. But still, you'd think that'd be a huge moment in the series, killing off the literal deus ex machina who can grant wishes/bring people back from the dead.....which I guess considering Shenron came back, didn't really matter. Edit: Nor the fact it never seems to be a concern that Shenron can be hurt, even when Vegeta & Frieza tried to summon one of the dragons.
I don't think Freeza ever really had a chance. The closest he came was when he thought his wish was being granted, but it was really Dende's wish and soon after which the Dragon disappeared.

And yeah, it was one of the big parts that made Piccolo a big turning point. That and all the death.

cntr

Banned
Also yeah, these two episodes of Naruto are the origin of everything terrible that happens from now on. That's why it's the worst.

(also I didn't know it was split up into two episodes)

Raxus

Once the next Naruto episode airs I will TRY to go into detail about it. Although I would mark this point as a low one there are several points in the series that turn it into a hate watch. This is merely the first domino. Inconsequential at first but leads to some pretty big consequences later on.

cntr

Banned
also re: One Punch Man/Mob Psycho 100

I wouldn't compare the series too hard, because while yeah they're similar because they were written by the same guy, they're "about" different things. OPM is mostly an excuse to have cool fights and jokes, Mob Psycho...isn't. The story is about something else.

just mentioning it since I remember a lot of people complaining back when Mob first ran, since they were expecting OPM 2.0

Once the next Naruto episode airs I will TRY to go into detail about it. Although I would mark this point as a low one there are several points in the series that turn it into a hate watch. This is merely the first domino. Inconsequential at first but leads to some pretty big consequences later on.

Also doesn't help that Kishimoto got overambitious with the final arc and introduced way more characters and plot-threads than he needed to.

He essentially pulled a Bleach, though he at least called it quits when Naruto went off the rails. Kubo kept Bleach running way beyond the point of salvaging. :p

Seda

These naruto episodes are the itachi motivation stuff? I recall that I didn't hate the idea
that he didnt actually kill his clan "to test his limits"
, but the execution is pretty weird (poor) and apparently it gets weirder (poorer) from there.

I have a lot of catching up to do on the block.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Dragonball Super- Watching this at 8:00 was weird, but thankfully I don't expect to be snowed in every weekend. It's kind of funny that they went with such a silly B-plot for the first new canonical TV content in 20ish years, but more power to them. I have no issue with this kind of stuff as long as the battles aren't dragged out like they were in the original DBZ

DBZ Kai- Ah, Gohan the fucking dork. While I was pissed at the fact we got a 8 minute recap at the start of the episode, it sort of worked in the end because while I enjoyed Gohan being a -wacky teen-, I don't think I wanted more than the 12 minutes we got of it.

JoJo- I'm still not sure what the hell I watched. Felt like a fever dream. No other comments

Gundam- The action scenes sure were pretty, Banagher is such a dumb/great name, but man, I was struggling to care about everything else in this. The fact that this is apparently chopped up OVA means that the strange, aburpt ending of the episode is probably not going away, and I don't think I'll be religiously keeping up with this

Hunter x Hunter- also known by the title "Small Children put into stranger danger by creepy old men". All this explaining just bores the shit out of me-
and all it really does is explain why things in the future aren't asspulls. You don't actually have to care/understand any of this!!!!!
. That said, what an ending! Apparently, teaching a cold-blooded assassin all these new tricks might make him even stronger! Using Zushi to show how ridiculously crazy Gon and Killua are- he's a "normal" person training in this technique, and they learn in a night what took him months with strong training to do, but I don't like how this show blatently breaks the Magicians Code by explaining that all Hisoka's magic tricks are actually nen and not actually Magic

But the entire point of Hisoka is that it doesn't matter if you know the secrets to his magic.

cntr

Banned
You're going to have to get used to the explanations, because that's HxH, and you'll need them to figure out what's going on

ADDING INTEREST

Togashi at least gets really self-aware with about his exposition dumps lol

tumblr_mr70yf7mRe1qaz4yjo1_500.gif

If he does then he's a bit mean in that regard. The entire fight that happened recently when he came back was nothing but a really long and boring exposition dump about how the two fighters powers work.

In my opinion.

That Unicorn show last night had some nice music, I tell you what.

Unicorn has a great soundtrack to it that had more pieces added to it with each OVA release. Some of the better/best stuff comes a lot later though.

One of my personal favorites that goes great with the scene its placed in won't be seen/heard until episode 9 of the broadcast.

Moaradin

If he does then he's a bit mean in that regard. The entire fight that happened recently when he came back was nothing but a really long and boring exposition dump about how the two fighters powers work.

In my opinion.

That fight is amazing. One of the best in shonen period. That fight has a lot of moving parts, so the exposition was really needed.

Unicorn has a great soundtrack to it that had more pieces added to it with each OVA release. Some of the better/best stuff comes a lot later though.

One of my personal favorites that goes great with the scene its placed in won't be seen/heard until episode 9 of the broadcast.

Re: I Am is one of the best songs I've ever heard in my whole life.

cntr

Banned
RE: 0096's gonna be a bit weird since each episode is about a third of the actual OVA episode. That's why last night's episode was so confusing, it was meant to be a lead-in to things explained/clarified in the rest of the episode, not a stand-alone.

RE: 0096's gonna be a bit weird since each episode is about a third of the actual OVA episode. That's why last night's episode was so confusing, it was meant to be a lead-in to things explained/clarified in the rest of the episode, not a stand-alone.

I don't think starting it with banagher in the cockpit was a good decision either.

Episode 20 and 21 reactions are gonna be so good

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That fight is amazing. One of the best in shonen period. That fight has a lot of moving parts, so the exposition was really needed.

Plus that specific power is really important during
the endgame of that arc so it needs explaining early on

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
DB Super - I've caught up with the Goku Brakku saga, but haven't watched anything before that yet. So I'll be seeing a lot of this for a good while, completely fresh. I have to say I quite enjoy the quiet "reflect on the past series" episode. It feels good to see things like Goku's naievete still being around, Chi-Chi finally getting proved wrong on "saving the world can get you money", Satancule going from a fake cad to a person who knows his place in the world, and Videl actually being a solid wife that seems like she "gets" her hubby, in contrast to how the other big relationships ion DBZ seem to be between much more volatile people.

I also really enjoyed the music, which felt much like the stuff we have in the newer games (mobile and console.) New Trunks VA is a solid replacement for Laura Bailey, I'm impressed. Goten and Trunk's fight with the snake felt very DB like, which was fun.

DBZ Ultimate Battle 22 The Final Chapters: Gohan in School, all grown up and acting like a super
hu
man amongst the normal people, along with Andy Bogard and his future wife! (spoilersno.gif). I actually really enjoy getting to see Toriyama's stable of non-main, non-saiyan characters. His style really is pretty unique, but at the same time, he makes a LOT of variety, in very video-game-ish ways. It was around the Buu Saga when my sisters got more into DBZ, and I loved being able to share the series as something more than FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT POWER LEVELS for a time.

Gundam 0096: Banagher Links Sausage: I don't really get the need to scream "THIS IS CONFUSING!" so swiftly. It's beautifully animated and stylish enough to just enjoy that much until the holes start being filled in. But for now, I feel a bit unsettled, which is pretty much how Banagher seems to feel after watching his dad sucked into a firey explosion.

The AWESOME JEGAN VS Aerods Funnels from a kinda Neue Ziel-lookin suit battle was a fun watch. That guy had no business putting up such a solid fight in one of my favorite random mobile suits. (I had a Jegan model kit as one of my first Gunpla, YEARS ago...) I have no problem with Stephanie Sheh returning to the block as a primary female character, she and the Bosh switching off between shows is actually as appreciated as Blum showing up.

Josephu Joestar's Floozy Adventure: I love his outwardly insane, inwardly calculated ways. I also love Johnathan for being so straight-laced that this is shockingly different. The newswoman's "and now he's behind me..." was so incredibly calm, ha. And the things those people on the street saw... imagine seeing that uploaded onto youtube now-a-days.

SPEEDBRO LIVES! Does NaziGuile's theme go with everything as well? The fact that Parts 1 through 3 all have such obvious inspirations on the fighters I got to know in the 90s, nicely reminds me of how old they actually are...

HxH - Why can you see secret nin stuff on a video camera? That seems... weird. I continue to feel more apathetic to this show than I'd like, and I kinda wanted to go back to watching Gundam when it came on, if I have to watch Tweenish-age protags, ha. Killua's heroic murder lust makes me not miss IBO so much.

Naru-Tooohhhhhsuke - I like Madara's voice? Should I feel something for the reveal that Itachi was actually on a mission as a Leaf Spy? I just have fatigue for the whole Uchiha anything ATM. I found this stuff more digestible in game form.

1 Piece, 500+ Shadows: - I didn't get to focus on this like I'd have wanted.

ONE PAUNCHHHHHH! - Mumen has REAL MANLY SCREAMS. Genos has awesome fights, even if he loses. Saitama punching the storm away along with the evil never gets old.

Props on the Hunter x Hunter SAB. Really well done.

Just need a pic of Moria barfing.

Glad you like it! Even if HxH is a bit lukewarm for me, it does a very good job at having a few visually striking moments here and there, which I do appreciate.

Poor One Piece, I skip over it so much due to it's late airtime, haha. Woulda loved to have his barfing, and the newly dusted, yet still proud deceased members of the Straw Hats, in sketchy form.

cntr

Banned
D5xIzc9.jpg

Fun fact: Stroheim is the actual inspiration for Guile's design.

That's right. The great All-American hero was based on a Nazi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom