• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul14| One pissed off Luffy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, that sounds more like Mikisugi's gimmick on that show (in which case it was always played for laughs). Plus, the very existence of those "other" scenes would eclipse even Hansel and Gretel in the NOPE department, improvised censors or no, short of removing such content completely.

I'm sorry nothing in KLK is anywhere near as disturbing as what happens in BL in the Hansel and Gretel arc. That scene (from KLK) really isn't much different then what we saw in SAO S1 and that already aired on the block, I'd argue the SAO scene is worse but that's a separate topic. The bigger issue is the constant bare asses and (later in the series) bare lady lumps that wouldn't fly on US tv hence my "if Aniplex was willing to help get it past censors" comment.

On top of a wave a quality anime coming in dubbed I highly doubt KLK will air on Toonami at this point. JoJo and SAOII are nearly sure things assuming SAOII keeps up the buzz and doesn't shit the bed (again). Sailor Moon Crystal could show up but that is MONTHS down the road considering it's air schedule of 1 episode every two weeks. I still hope they air Tiger Bunny out of nowhere but I doubt they will at this point.

I'm not sure why a high wave of quality would cause KLK to not air, outside of Jojo, SAO S2, and Sailor Moon it's probably one of the bigger/newer properties that has received a recent dub that has a lot of buzz. SAO S2 could be worse in every conceivable way to SAO S1 and it'll air on the block, the question is when will the dub be ready to go. KLK, Sailor Moon Uncut, and Jojo dubs are all currently in production and with several shows ending in the next few months (Blue Exorcist, Black Lagoon, Bleach, Attack on Titan, Space Dandy, and Beware the Bat are all within a 3 month window) we're going to see a lot of turn over and new shows.

Outlaw Star is probably happening.

Outlaw Star has already aired uncut on either ASA or Toonami correct? While I could see HD OS airing I think that's a show we're more likely to see in the later half of the block as a replacement for something like Samurai Jack or FMA:B in 2015. Maybe it can be BtB's replacement and slip into the 3:00/3:30 hour with Uncut Naruto but I can't see it airing any earlier then that.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It has and never will air uncut on Toonami. It has exposed breasts in...every episode but two or three and one episode full of them.

I agree completely on the replacement targets though. Bebop is clearly replacing SBT.

Raxus

Assuming SAOII is ready to air by that time here is what Toonami could potentially air.

JoJo, SAOII, DBZ Kai, and Bebop make 4 (unless Bebop replaces SBT). Space Dandy will probably rerun due to being funded by Toonami. Beware the Batman can be replaced by Young Justice and that is 6 shows right there. If you can squeeze KLK you'd have to make a pretty strong argument considering how much money they would have to spend on edits to get it to air.

KLK could be a slot for SAOII until the dub is ready but considering its content I don't think the investment could be justified but then again I don't work in TV.

P.S. I would give anything to see MegasXLR air on Toonami. Anything.

Korigama

I'm sorry nothing in KLK is anywhere near as disturbing as what happens in BL in the Hansel and Gretel arc. That scene (from KLK) really isn't much different then what we saw in SAO S1 and that already aired on the block, I'd argue the SAO scene is worse but that's a separate topic. The bigger issue is the constant bare asses and (later in the series) bare lady lumps that wouldn't fly on US tv hence my "if Aniplex was willing to help get it past censors" comment.
I looked at it as more of a matter of what was shown (KLK, SAO 1) versus what was mostly implied (BL), but you're right, that is a separate topic. If Toonami and Aniplex want it enough, they could look into a solution for the broader issue. I'm keeping my expectations low, though.
If you can squeeze KLK you'd have to make a pretty strong argument considering how much money they would have to spend on edits to get it to air.

KLK could be a slot for SAOII until the dub is ready but considering its content I don't think the investment could be justified but then again I don't work in TV.
Depends. KLK generally has much of the same sort of humor and off-the-wall insanity as FLCL, which proved to be reasonably popular with viewers IIRC.

Raxus

In that case,

Inuyasha: Final Act

Paging MikeMyers

We are also taking a HUGE leap in believing Bleach won't (gulp) rerun.

Assuming SAOII is ready to air by that time here is what Toonami could potentially air.

JoJo, SAOII, DBZ Kai, and Bebop make 4 (unless Bebop replaces SBT). Space Dandy will probably rerun due to being funded by Toonami. Beware the Batman can be replaced by Young Justice and that is 6 shows right there. If you can squeeze KLK you'd have to make a pretty strong argument considering how much money they would have to spend on edits to get it to air.

P.S. I would give anything to see MegasXLR air on Toonami. Anything.

The problem is Blue Exorcist ends in 6 weeks, and it'll probably be replaced by another Aniplex show. Yes "slots don't exist" but Aniplex and Toonami seem to have a good relationship and has quiet a few shows that are dubbed, new, and would fit Toonami (KLK, Magi, Fate/Zero, and Gurren Lagann is the rights are freed up). Obviously if Aniplex can work out getting a dub of SAO S2 rolling quickly and it's ready to air next month that'll take highest priority... but unless that's Aniplex's big announcement for Anime Expo (dubbed SAO S2 in the works to air on Toonami next month) it probably isn't happening.

In that case,

Inuyasha: Final Act

Paging MikeMyers

We are also taking a HUGE leap in believing Bleach won't (gulp) rerun.

DBZ:K is the clear replacement for Bleach at 12, it would leave a space open for another Viz show where JoJo seems like the big catch that could go at 11:30. I think the bigger question for rerun is will Space Dandy S2 rerun at the top of the block, will all of Space Dandy rerun at the top of the block, will space dandy rerun lower in the night, or will it be replaced with another new show. Black Lagoon won't be repeating but there could be any number of Funimation shows that could take over that slot, and with Sailor Moon Uncut they may just do that as well, putting it later in the night would make it less of a risk if the 18-49 male audience isn't interested.

Black Lagoon could be replaced by GitS S2 or something.

Yeah that would be the cheap option, then replace BtB with another CN leftover show like Young Justice would free up some money from the top half of the block for some more expensive shows.

Gorillaz

I can see jormungand being a good replacement. It's made by the BL team, as something to do until the manga is ready/season 4 and it's an easier watch then BL with the same concepts. Except weapon sellers....it's a little more one dimensional as well tho, actually it's shallow as hell but it would be an easier watch for some of the people who watch the block for lighter stuff.

Tamanon

Banned
Finally watched Bleach Hell Verse.

Awesome movie. Focuses on the original folks, Ichigo, Ishida, Chad, Orihime, Renji and Rukia. Other captains barely appear in the movie and don't fight. Great action scenes, and it even includes Ichigo's Hollow transformation from the Ulquiorra battle. Overall, a lot of solid fights, with even the Job Squad beating their opponents with smarts.

Best part was how a rocking song during
Ichigo's re-entry to Hell slowly changes into an instrumental Number One.

I'd rank that as the best movie out of the four.

4 > 1 > 3 > 2

DominoKid

It'd be nice if they picked up Magi or Fate/Zero for the Aniplex slot even though I've seen them both. Magi would fit in better on the block and it'd lock up a year. Maybe they don't want to lock up a year though then they should go for F/Z.

MikeMyers

Finally watched Bleach Hell Verse.

Awesome movie. Focuses on the original folks, Ichigo, Ishida, Chad, Orihime, Renji and Rukia. Other captains barely appear in the movie and don't fight. Great action scenes, and it even includes Ichigo's Hollow transformation from the Ulquiorra battle. Overall, a lot of solid fights, with even the Job Squad beating their opponents with smarts.

Best part was how a rocking song during
Ichigo's re-entry to Hell slowly changes into an instrumental Number One.

I'd rank that as the best movie out of the four.

4 > 1 > 3 > 2

Meaning to watch this one myself.

DBZ:K is the clear replacement for Bleach at 12, it would leave a space open for another Viz show where JoJo seems like the big catch that could go at 11:30. I think the bigger question for rerun is will Space Dandy S2 rerun at the top of the block, will all of Space Dandy rerun at the top of the block, will space dandy rerun lower in the night, or will it be replaced with another new show. Black Lagoon won't be repeating but there could be any number of Funimation shows that could take over that slot, and with Sailor Moon Uncut they may just do that as well, putting it later in the night would make it less of a risk if the 18-49 male audience isn't interested.

i do not see them wanting to repeatedly gamble on the 11:30 slot when there's nothing really on the level of Space Dandy or Attack on Titan waiting in the wings. i mean, maybe Kill la Kill, but i'm really skeptical on that airing at all, let alone starting off the block.

i think it's just gonna be FLCL, and once that finishes they'll put Space Dandy reruns there

It'd be nice if they picked up Magi or Fate/Zero for the Aniplex slot even though I've seen them both. Magi would fit in better on the block and it'd lock up a year. Maybe they don't want to lock up a year though then they should go for F/Z.

Magi S2 hasn't actually been dubbed yet, it's likely S2 dub could be ready by Spring 2015 when the first season 1 ends on Toonami. Aniplex did announce the plans to dub it

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yeah that would be the cheap option, then replace BtB with another CN leftover show like Young Justice would free up some money from the top half of the block for some more expensive shows.

I'd be cool with Young Justice.

Gorillaz

i do not see them wanting to repeatedly gamble on the 11:30 slot when there's nothing really on the level of Space Dandy or Attack on Titan waiting in the wings. i mean, maybe Kill la Kill, but i'm really skeptical on that airing at all, let alone starting off the block.
there

This is my thing as well. There is nothing new and "must see" besides KLK right now waiting in the pipeline, dubbed, and can open up the block well.

pirata

I'm really hoping they don't load up on too much straight-up shonen series. Those tend to go on forever and lock up slots for years, while often being boring to watch most of the time (Bleach is perhaps the biggest offender ever. I can't wait until it's gone!). It would be cool for them to pick up some more seinen/experimental/short-run stuff. My shortlist if I were in charge of Toonami?

1. Gankutsuou (The Count of Monte Cristo): Probably my favorite animated series ever. It isn't a pure action show, but Toonami has aired some shows that aren't pure action before, and they could lean heavy into the "best adaption of the best adventure story of all time" angle. Mostly, I think this baby deserves to be broadcast on television in glorious HD. Also, it could appeal to what people derisively call the "Adult Swim stoner audience"
I might qualify as one of those people.

2. Samurai Champloo: The spiritual successor to Cowboy Bebop. Should be a shoe-in! Is some licencing stuff keeping it from happening?

3. Baccano!: So, so bad-ass. It's really confusing in the beginning, but once they get through the second or third episode, most people would be hooked. I know Dururara (made by the same people) aired on the old AS anime ghetto. Baccano could possibly air on Toonami, right? I'm pretty sure it could be popular. I know most of Toonami-GAF would be into it.

4. Batman the Animated Series: Replace that CG shit with what we really want to see. Or else...

5. Beast Wars: ...Replace it with the CG shit that deserves to be on Toonami! The visuals may be really, really outdated now, but who cares? It's still the best thing ever associated with Transformers. Seeing it on TV again would be one hell of a blast from the past!

Sorry for the listicle, but what do you guys think about the chances of any of these shows ever appearing? (I know Beast Wars would be one hell of a long-shot)

Tenumi

Banned
I'm really hoping they don't load up on too much straight-up shonen series. Those tend to go on forever and lock up slots for years, while often being boring to watch most of the time (Bleach is perhaps the biggest offender ever. I can't wait until it's gone!). It would be cool for them to pick up some more seinen/experimental/short-run stuff. My shortlist if I were in charge of Toonami?

1. Gankutsuou (The Count of Monte Cristo): Probably my favorite animated series ever. It isn't a pure action show, but Toonami has aired some shows that aren't pure action before, and they could lean heavy into the "best adaption of the best adventure story of all time" angle. Mostly, I think this baby deserves to be broadcast on television in glorious HD. Also, it could appeal to what people derisively call the "Adult Swim stoner audience"
I might qualify as one of those people.

2. Samurai Champloo: The spiritual successor to Cowboy Bebop. Should be a shoe-in! Is some licencing stuff keeping it from happening?

3. Baccano!: So, so bad-ass. It's really confusing in the beginning, but once they get through the second or third episode, most people would be hooked. I know Dururara (made by the same people) aired on the old AS anime ghetto. Baccano could possibly air on Toonami, right? I'm pretty sure it could be popular. I know most of Toonami-GAF would be into it.

4. Batman the Animated Series: Replace that CG shit with what we really want to see. Or else...

5. Beast Wars: ...Replace it with the CG shit that deserves to be on Toonami! The visuals may be really, really outdated now, but who cares? It's still the best thing ever associated with Transformers. Seeing it on TV again would be one hell of a blast from the past!

Sorry for the listicle, but what do you guys think about the chances of any of these shows ever appearing? (I know Beast Wars would be one hell of a long-shot)

Why do people always forget that The Hub Network has the rights to these? I mean, I can understand BTAS a little, but Beast Wars is a Transformers show, a Hasbro product. They'd sooner air it on the Hub.

Edit: Although I do notice now that you acknowledge Beast Wars is a long-shot.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh man, discovered Thinkgeek has the boxed set of the entire FMA manga + a bonus "Ties that Bond" book + poster for $220, along with volumes 1-23 of One Piece plus the Romance Dawn mini-book + poster for $186.

Seeing the price for those makes me glad I read the FMA series from borrowing them from my library.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Man God we start Episode 157 and 158 at 9pm if you are down.

Typholsion and Totodile?

CUcsvZu.gif

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
still watching Bleach

that song they play when it's time for Ichigo to do something awesome breaks the mood EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

IF YOU WANNA SEE SOME ACTION

GOTTA BE THE CENTER OF ATTRACTION

great

now I'm cracking up and you've undermined the entire thing

Man God

Non-Canon Member
still watching Bleach

that song they play when it's time for Ichigo to do something awesome breaks the mood EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

great

But don't you feel like number one?

Tamanon

Banned
I think after they stop overusing the song in the early Bleach days, it regains its impact later on. Even the instrumental bit lets you know shit is happening.

Plus, it's beautifully subverted in
Soul Society Arc when he fights Aizen and is immediately stomped

still watching Bleach

great

That song is awesome, like all the music in Bleach

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I gotta admit I used to crack up each and every time Number One showed up but after about the fifth time I got into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom