• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul14| One pissed off Luffy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

Patrick Seitz sounds pretty good as DIO. I need to hear his shouting scenes though, because it seems like he already voices Star Platinum. Hopefully he can yell without pulling out the Franky.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
People that watched SAO II's first episode. Will it be a good hatewatch for Toonami when it arrives? Or will it actually be... tolerable?

People that watched SAO II's first episode. Will it be a good hatewatch for Toonami when it arrives? Or will it actually be... tolerable?

I mean it was pretty boring for the most part with a few "whhhyyy/rage" moments. Mostly set up give it a few weeks for us to know if it's a rage watch or actually decent

Moaradin

Wow they actually did the ORAORAORA in English and they pulled it off pretty well! Quite impressed with this dub. Toonami when?

Tamanon

Banned
Finished the 3 dubbed episodes. Kinda interesting show, but seems pretty melodramatic, although not at Titan levels yet. I'd be interested in it on Toonami.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I will be surprised if Funimation announces something for Toonami at their booth, aside from maybe "HEY remember that DBZ Kai is coming this fall to Toonami!".

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Translated ORAORA / MUDAMUDA Would be so nasty.

"C'monC'monC'MONC'MON!!!"

"UselessUselessUselessUseless!"

As much as it's a thing of JoJO's, I'm pretty used to "ORA!" thanks to KoF (Ryo) and Soul Calibur (Mitsurigi), personally. You'll also hear a lot of "Mudada!" in fighting games, during Tech Throws and Parries.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It seems they did mention the fact they have shows on Toonami, but that was it so far. I guess they would have mentioned a show coming to it during that time.

i finished GXP. now i long for death's sweet embrace. but here are a few thoughts:

1. I'm pretty sure Seiryo, the pink-haired dude, might have been the best thing about this show. Sure, his routine got kind of old at times, but his journey from GP instructor to pirate captain was somehow more interesting than whatever the fuck Seina was doing, and his voice actor was funny as hell.

2. This is not merely a shitty comedy, this is a shitty comedy trying to tell a story. There are episodes with barely any jokes at all, instead giving you huge exposition dumps that really aren't required and fumbling attempts at drama.

3. You can actually feel the material being stretched thin over 26 episodes. Jokes get repeated over and over again, plot progression is at a snail's pace, there's so many awkward, lingering shots to fill time. The show would still be generally unfunny, but it'd be a hell of a lot more tolerable at 13 episodes to cover the same amount of story. And maybe the animation wouldn't be garbage.

4. The big bad from one of the only good episodes of the show, Tarant Shank, disappears for like five episodes only to be defeated in two minutes in the prelude to Seina's return home to visit his parents. Then he comes back as a cyborg to be beaten by Seiryo of all people. Then the show expects us to take him seriously as a threat when he returns AGAIN to fight Seina when Seina pilots a giant robot. Then he ONCE AGAIN returns at Seina's wedding, where he is defeated in 30 seconds by Seina. Intentionally. I've never seen a show outright take a piss on someone they set up as final boss material, but god damn. I actually felt sorry for this guy.

5. When Seina goes to visit Tenchi, it just sort of highlights how bland his harem is by comparison. Tenchi gets all these women with crazy Sonic the Hedgehog hair and distinctive personalities, Seina gets Loud, Quiet, In Between, and Loli (though to be fair Loli actually stood out as a decent character design). I've also noticed what annoys me so much about his harem: they seem like they'd fucking die without him in their lives. The second-to-last episode actually pretty much supports this as they all mope around and cry, which is kinda disgusting to watch. Yeah, Tenchi's harem could be clingy and stuff, but they did seem largely independent.

6. This show actually tried to create drama by Seina questioning his Marry Them All ending with some weird internal thoughts about how all of them would be heartbroken. And then the lady in charge drags him over to see all the girls in their wedding dresses, basically says "This is a harem anime, you dumb fuck" and then they get married. After some girls kidnap and rape Seina.

7. This may be petty to nitpick the story of this show of all things, but it actually seems like it wants to be taken seriously at times. So, let's look at it this way: the space pirates kidnap the Designated Mascot and take him to their home base. Their home base is built on a planet where there just so happens to be a Gundam buried in a mountain. Only Seina is able to pilot this Gundam, which he uses to destroy the space pirates. Bull. Shit.

I wonder if the reason why we still have no idea what is replacing Blue Exorcist is because they're still trying to figure out with Aniplex how to get Kill La Kill to work on the block both in terms of cost and censorship. We're only a month away from needing a replacement and we've not heard a peep, where as Blue Exorcist was announced to replace SAO back in November almost 4 months before its air date. Only other idea is if they have to wait for the rights to Gurren Lagann to be free to officially announce it. Why else wait till last minute to announce its replacement?

Seda

I wonder if the reason why we still have no idea what is replacing Blue Exorcist is because they're still trying to figure out with Aniplex how to get Kill La Kill to work on the block both in terms of cost and censorship. We're only a month away from needing a replacement and we've not heard a peep, where as Blue Exorcist was announced to replace SAO back in November almost 4 months before its air date. Only other idea is if they have to wait for the rights to Gurren Lagann to be free to officially announce it. Why else wait till last minute to announce its replacement?

Six episodes left, and I'd assume they want to announce it before schedule leaks.

fwiw AoT was announced three weeks prior to airing.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I can't help but question why we've barely heard anything on either Blue Exorcist or Black Lagoon (unless it's repeating)'s replacements. I'm rather surprised we didn't hear anything at Anime Expo, which would have seemed like a good time (didn't AoT's announcement happen at an expo?).

Six episodes left, and I'd assume they want to announce it before schedule leaks.

fwiw AoT was announced three weeks prior to airing.

Yeah, and that was probably a financial work out the details situation like I imagine KLK would be. I imagine the time from "were good to go" to the announcement trailer was probably like a week or less

Yeah, I can't help but question why we've barely heard anything on either Blue Exorcist or Black Lagoon (unless it's repeating)'s replacements. I'm rather surprised we didn't hear anything at Anime Expo, which would have seemed like a good time (didn't AoT's announcement happen at an expo?).

Nope, we got a "tune in for a special surprise" and then BAM AoT commercial on Adult Swim

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, Aniplex is usually heralding the next one of their stable to arrive on Toonami months in advance. This could mean many things, maybe it means a curveball is being thrown, maybe it means Aniplex is out of the loop this cycle, it is hard to say.

I might be late tonight, the people who are housing me in AK its the dad's birth day and we still haven't started dinner yet. At worst I'll just bail if it gets close to 12:30 est don't want to miss the premier

LOLDSFAN

So I figure I'll watch the last few episodes of Space Dandy tonight. Thus ending my 30 minute breaks that I would occasionally get in between shows.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
With Bebop confirmed to be returning, isn't that likely (unfortunately) to be Blue Exorcist's replacement?

You'd think so, but there's a show ending even sooner in the back half of the block that's already been rerun to death.

They also announced that this run of Bebop won't be the HD tapes so there's no incentive to put it anywhere near the top of the block.

On my way to NY now. 18 hour drive, Jesus.(Not driving but still) Wish me luck guys. Will miss most of Toonami but will try to catch Space Dandy and Black Lagoon on mobile data but T-Mobile doesn't have great highway coverage so *shrugs* Enjoy it tonight guys!

Seda

With Bebop confirmed to be returning, isn't that likely (unfortunately) to be Blue Exorcist's replacement?

It's likely Symbionic Titan's replacement, which only has 3 episodes left in the run. That also is what the leak that preempted the Black Lagoon <--> Batman switch showed. (Bebop at 4:30, Jack at 5:30.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom