• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul14| One pissed off Luffy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckohler

How about this for the Aug14 thread title:

Bro! Believe In The Toonami That Believes In You

Not bad. Other options include:

Toonami |Aug14| The block that will pierce the heavens!
Toonami |Aug14| Spin on!
Toonami |Aug14| Just who the hell do you think we are?!
Toonami |Aug14| A place for manly souls.

Seda

man these games look like ass, even on this smallish 720p set

maybe a component cable would help

You have a gaming capable PC? Even if it's not a mega-super-duper configuration, using PCSX2 and ripping the iso from your discs is an option.

Seda

Lich King chimes in on Korra

8oL2KHo.png

YER9NyC.png

wukgRjJ.png

Gorillaz

Demarco is going to get Korra, obviously this will be Dandy's replacement.

Nick will shop the show out to a streaming service realistically like Hulu

If what happen with Clone Wars and Nextflix is any indication, action cartoons might soon shift from traditional television to streaming services. Its the only future I see for them.

I said "just who the hell do you think we are" should be the next ot title right after gurren lagann was announced, its such a fitting and perfect quote for the show

Crocodile

I'm going to be kind of peeved if I have to eventually get my action cartoon fix exclusively from Japan. I mean its been near exclusive for a while now but with the death of stuff like Young Justice, Symbiotic Titan, etc. it's only gotten worse not better in recent years. Is TMNT 2012 now the only good home grown action cartoon on TV? That's PATHETIC >_<

I'm going to be kind of peeved if I have to eventually get my action cartoon fix exclusively from Japan. I mean its been near exclusive for a while now but with the death of stuff like Young Justice, Symbiotic Titan, etc. it's only gotten worse not better in recent years. Is TMNT 2012 now the only good home grown action cartoon on TV? That's PATHETIC >_<

We're getting another Batman cartoon supposedly, and we still have Star Wars Rebels which could be good.

Crocodile

We're getting another Batman cartoon supposedly, and we still have Star Wars Rebels which could be good.

Do we actually know anything about that Batman cartoon (granted SDCC starts tomorrow......)? The quality range for Batman is pretty big. If we get another "TAS", "Beyond" or "Brave and Bold" I'll be ecstatic. If we get another "The Batman" or "Beware the Batman" then UGH. As for Rebels, nothing I've seen for it so far makes me hype at all. I'll be happy if it turns out good but its not even on my radar as of right now.

I firmly believe that Sym Bionic Titan was the last Original American action cartoon to air on television. The only things we will be getting is licensed stuff like Marvel/DC and Star Wars. Even then the licensed stuff will skew more towards the merchandising aspect than telling good stories or having good action sequences.

I firmly believe that Sym Bionic Titan was the last Original American action cartoon to air on television. The only things we will be getting is licensed stuff like Marvel/DC and Star Wars. Even then the licensed stuff will skew more towards the merchandising aspect than telling good stories or having good action sequences.

Korra came out after SBT, though considering the way Nick's treating it...

DominoKid

Do we actually know anything about that Batman cartoon (granted SDCC starts tomorrow......)? The quality range for Batman is pretty big. If we get another "TAS", "Beyond" or "Brave and Bold" I'll be ecstatic. If we get another "The Batman" or "Beware the Batman" then UGH. As for Rebels, nothing I've seen for it so far makes me hype at all. I'll be happy if it turns out good but its not even on my radar as of right now.

The Batman was a decent show. Doesn't compare to the gutter trash that BTB is.

What would there be to skip? It's not like One Piece has to fight the censors, unless we're talkin' random filler between episodes.

None of the below is really story spoilers but I'll just leave this note here for some people who are really touchy on it

During the Enies Lobby arc One Piece was moved from it's normal time slot to a prime time slot in Japan. As part of this the team did 5 recap episodes in a row that was designed to catch up new viewers on all the characters and events to be ready for what was to come. There is also a filler episode called Boss Luffy which is basically what if One Piece was a samurai anime

Just for those who wanted to know

Moaradin

Those recap episodes are gonna be the biggest case of blue balls ever.

I had all the time in the world when I was marathoning the show and I didn't even watch them or the Boss Luffy episodes. At least it will be worth it to hear
We Are again

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
None of the below is really story spoilers but I'll just leave this note here for some people who are really touchy on it

*summary*

Just for those who wanted to know
So it's on EVERYTHING so far, not just the last arc? I'd...kind of be alright with that, considering how some people might have started watching the show when Toonami started airing it, & it'll be nice to look back on stuff I haven't seen in YEARS & be all "OH YEAH, I remember that!". Plus that one filler episode sounds interesting.

.......is it handled/placed better than that random 3-episode backstory in the Skypiea arc?

So it's on EVERYTHING so far, not just the last arc? I'd...kind of be alright with that, considering how some people might have started watching the show when Toonami started airing it, & it'll be nice to look back on stuff I haven't seen in YEARS & be all "OH YEAH, I remember that!". Plus that one filler episode sounds interesting.

.......is it handled/placed better than that random 3-episode backstory in the Skypiea arc?

No it's actually kind of stupid how the anime does it

Basically they replay a 2 minute clip from the end of the last non recap episode, then play like 1-2 minute clip of what feels like the next episode, then it focuses on a random character and FLASHBACK with a weird border that screams LOL RECAP. They do this for EVERY SINGLE recap episode

The most hilarious of these is the recap for (Enies Lobby arc spoilers)
Robin, who's flashback we had just seen 3 episodes of before this recap block, and the last episode in this recap block is Robin's flash back AGAIN

believe in Weisman

that's..........debatable. i would say yes, but i feel like most would say no. explanation:
the Skypiea flashback happens right when you want to move along to the next part of the story, Enies Lobby that's not really the case; they just kinda jump off a building and then you get the recap on the way down. it's sorta before the REAL action of the arc, whereas in Skypiea it was in the middle of that action.

it SHOULD be helpful for new viewers, but i haven't seen the episodes myself so i don't know if they're boring as fuck or structured well enough that people already familiar with the material can watch them just fine.

As part of this the team did 5 recap episodes in a row that was designed to catch up new viewers on all the characters and events to be ready for what was to come.

Sounds like the kind of thing you'd need if you were putting a show on your programming block that was 200+ episodes in.

Seda

If you're going to span a narrative over two years in 12 episodes or whatever it was in SAO, you have to approach it thoughtfully.

SAO did not approach it thoughtfully.

789shadow

Banned
I have this sinking feeling that those 5 recap episodes and the Boss Luffy episodes are going to torpedo One Piece's ratings even further.

If you're going to span a narrative over two years in 12 episodes or whatever it was in SAO, you have to approach it thoughtfully.

SAO did not approach it thoughtfully.
I'm sure the author made the time skip so he can market all the adventures during the timeskip for later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom