• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul14| One pissed off Luffy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Boss Luffy is great. Full of references to characters you've almost certainly forgotten.

The Robin recap episode...is hilarious. Especially if you marathon the show.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Considering those recap episodes are going to cover material that has never been aired (properly) on American television before, it seems fine to me. Also, decent chance we actually get the Straw Hat Theater shorts out of it.

And nothing OFFICIAL says Yoko is 14. That's all hearsay and "I heard the director once said that Yoko is 14, but I can't find the link for it" type stories. The official anime guide lists her as 18. (This is somewhat meaningless, though. For example, One Piece's official anime guide lists Sanji as the wrong age to get around issues with his smoking.)

Raxus

Considering those recap episodes are going to cover material that has never been aired (properly) on American television before, it seems fine to me. Also, decent chance we actually get the Straw Hat Theater shorts out of it.

And nothing OFFICIAL says Yoko is 14. That's all hearsay and "I heard the director once said that Yoko is 14, but I can't find the link for it" type stories. The official anime guide lists her as 18. (This is somewhat meaningless, though. For example, One Piece's official anime guide lists Sanji as the wrong age to get around issues with his smoking.)

Explains why Sanji isn't constantly censored ala JoJo -_-

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

This! Those are amazing. The dub did a great job with them too.

Explains why Sanji isn't constantly censored ala JoJo -_-

Yep... he's 19 in the manga, but the anime guide lists his age as 20.

It feels so weird to talk about a show censoring smoking in 2014. Feels like 4Kids all over again.

daveo42

Banned
Whoa, Space Dandy preview on Adult Swim.

The thing about One Piece I forget about the most is how young the entire crew is. Robin is about twice as old as the rest of the crew at this point in show

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Whoa, Space Dandy preview on Adult Swim.

The thing about One Piece I forget about the most is how young the entire crew is. Robin is about twice as old as the rest of the crew at this point in show

Such is Shonen... really Japanese media in general (most JRPGs are full of teenagers)

For the people that don't know/remember
Luffy: 17
Zoro: 19
Nami: 18
Usopp: 17
Sanji: 19 (20 in the anime)
Chopper: 15
Robin: 28
Franky: 34

LOLDSFAN

I never really thought that. They seem pretty old compared to the other two big Shonen, Bleach and Naruto.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That would make sense given their experience, mannerisms and character designs. But anime gonna anime :p

No that's literally what happens.

Spoilers from two arcs from now
Brook is 7 feet tall and was older than Franky before he died and definitely older now!

Chopper is a teenager and short, Robin is very tall and older than everyone else....Who is taller than Robin and older as well...PAULIE? Ice Pops? Admiral Freeze yo Nuts?

Gorillaz

I'm on episode 35 of Deathnote, which has had an interesting turn but, there is a scene that one guy is holding a very familiar modified 9mm that someone on the block rocks.
500px-Mellojericho.gif

500px-SwordCutlass9mm2.jpg

Cool little Easter Egg, I only picked up on it because they had it on screen for a little while, basically saying "look here easter egg".

pssst. my podcast interviewed Josh Grelle, that dude who voices Armin.

(we also all gave our opinions on the shows, but i'm sure you don't care about that so just use the annotations to skip around)

(i wasn't there for it, though)

alright i listened through the whole thing. fun fact: sounds like Funimation shopped Attack on Titan around to folks besides Toonami.

also, we got him to say "it's a mad, mad, mad world and i'm a mad, mad, mad Armin"

Raxus

I am not sure about the manga but I hear Usagi actually has some significant character development in the original series.

I need my ORAORAORA fix JoJo!

So anyone here have any knowledge of Vampire Knight, my Wal-Mart is getting the complete series for $30 next week, it looks interesting but I've never heard of it.

daveo42

Banned
So anyone here have any knowledge of Vampire Knight, my Wal-Mart is getting the complete series for $30 next week, it looks interesting but I've never heard of it.

I think I saw it last night when waiting on a rep at Wally World. Showed it to my friend jokingly and he said "Nope". It did include a relationship chart if you are into that sort of thing.

Edit: Yup...checked out the cover and that definitely what I found. It does look pretty shit.

Biggest fear is that the manga only finished last year, but both seasons of the anime aired in 2008 meaning this is either a gecko ending, or a "go read the manga" ending

I think I saw it last night when waiting on a rep at Wally World. Showed it to my friend jokingly and he said "Nope". It did include a relationship chart if you are into that sort of thing.

Edit: Yup...checked out the cover and that definitely what I found. It does look pretty shit.

Biggest fear is that the manga only finished last year, but both seasons of the anime aired in 2008 meaning this is either a gecko ending, or a "go read the manga" ending

Just buy Fruits Basket.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Can Kangoku Gakuen/Prison School be made into an anime, please? I had to stop reading a few times because holy crap I was laughing so hard.

I sort of remember watching Fruits Basket on that Funimation block on...Colours TV, was it? I just remember the whole zodiac things & one joke where a white haired character was "showing proof" he actually did have white hair & main female character was all "How'd you prove it" & the guys were all "NOOOPPPPEEE, let's get out of here".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom