• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul14| One pissed off Luffy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'll probably pick up Strong World the next time it's on sale. It and Film Z are very good, non canony anime movies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

JbNy3MX.png

Strong World certainly isn't much more complex than "One Piece arc: The Movie", but it's still pretty good.

the cynic in me wants to say that the material was a couple of things Oda didn't want to put into the main storyline because they were rather similar. if it was ever made into an actual story arc it'd probably be somewhere in the middle as far as quality goes, but i wouldn't mind seeing it on Toonami when they've aired enough episodes for it to not be spoilertown

JCG

Code Geass is a lot like SEED in many many ways. Including a somewhat offputting and unintentionally hilarious second season, at least Geass has a better excuse for where it went.

Eh, I'd put if another way. The Code Geass staff had a nutty sense of humor and put various in-jokes inside both seasons, which was quite intentional. The Gundam SEED staff...didn't really seem to do that. If anything, CG kind of pokes fun at SEED / Destiny with how a couple of major characters are treated (continuing on from another similar jab found in GunxSword).

On a more current note, the director of Code Geass just storyboarded the latest episode of Space Dandy (and also the Wacky Races/Redline one).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Pretty sure it is in the bag at this point.

I look forward to it. I hear great things but know very little.
I sure hope it does, as it's one of my favorite parts along with 2. It's slightly longer than part 3 (19 volumes compared to part 3's 17) but if we're getting 50-ish episodes for Part 3, then the same could happen for Part 4....hopefully.

On a more current note, the director of Code Geass just storyboarded the latest episode of Space Dandy (and also the Wacky Races/Redline one).
Dang, the race one is one of my favorites and the amazing season premiere was by Kimiko Ueno as well?

Speaking of writers, next episode is by Keiko Nobumoto, who did the Lonely Pooch Planet episode, though you might know her as the writer of Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, & Wolf's Rain.

BBboy20

The music they used in the Space Dandy season 2 promo is so good. Toonami always helps me find some dope tunes
Speaking of BioShock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5BPgKB58Xs Ever since I listened to this song, I always looked at it as BioShock Infinite's unnofficial song. Was stoked when it was later used on Toonami this weekend. BTW, this is was where I discovered machinedrum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wycRfHgvgJI *well on Spotify anyways*

Well...Jojo is on the top 5 at least...

Kira Yamato is still popular in 2014
Shinji may have been the OG but Kira redefined it.

I have to ask, even so I could have just made a thread for it: What is San Diego like during the San Diego Comic Con? I won't be able to go to the con itself but I'll be visiting my uncle's place for two weeks there anyways so I'm wondering what to expect in regarding the city itself and the nerd culture that's going to multiply during the last weeks of July.

I've missed toonami the past couple of weeks and haven't been very active on here, what are the general impressions on Titan now that we're getting into the meat of the story? I want to know if people are fed up with the pacing yet.

Tamanon

Banned
I've missed toonami the past couple of weeks and haven't been very active on here, what are the general impressions on Titan now that we're getting into the meat of the story? I want to know if people are fed up with the pacing yet.

We haven't really gotten into anything beyond Eren can turn into a Titan, probably because of his dad.

Moaradin

Titan impressions are generally positive. A few people complaining that it's too melodramatic or something. We really haven't hit the big pacing issues yet.

Titan is so melodramatic and over the top that it makes it hard for me to take any of the violence seriously. Whenever the humans are getting wrecked it's done in such a comical fashion that I find myself laughing rather than being horrified at the carnage.

bigkrev

Burying the evidence of ThoseDeafMutes beings a dumbass It turned into the exact type of thread you'd expect it to.

Actually, there were a lot of twists and turns! You had the marketing guy for XSEED come in and basically admit he was batshit insane! You had a mod making a "look at the posts these anime avatar people are making", something which people have been banned for, and the thread immediately turning into everyone piling on him for doing it, and finally being closed out of nowhere by a Mod who hadn't even posted in the thread before.

I swear, Criminal Girls might be the game that kills Neogaf.

789shadow

Banned
Actually, there were a lot of twists and turns! You had the marketing guy for XSEED come in and basically admit he was batshit insane! You had a mod making a "look at the posts these anime avatar people are making", something which people have been banned for, and the thread immediately turning into everyone piling on him for doing it, and finally being closed out of nowhere by a Mod who hadn't even posted in the thread before.

I swear, Criminal Girls might be the game that kills Neogaf.
Thread basically exists to prove that the upper management of NeoGAF will not properly moderate this forum when it comes to certain people they don't like.

789shadow

Banned
Hey guys, please don't put Seda in a tough spot by discussing NeoGAF modding decisions in here.
I'm certainly not disagreeing with the initial decision on Criminal Girls threads. I am saying that I can get away with firing pedophilia accusations at certain communities here on GAF and no one will stop me.

Levyne

Banned
I think just don't meta-talk in here too much is the basic idea.

That said, I'm not quite sure what TDM was trying to do with that post. It's a joke via imitation and you just have to assume meaning because of his position? I mean it would make more sense as a joke if he quoted 3 anime avatars that agreed with the censoring because it would throw a wrench into what people typically are trying to accomplish with stupid quotes like that.

Levyne

Banned
Can somebody PM me a link to the thread?

Here you go.

Recommended reading, mostly because it's filled with Mods giving their opinions: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=851761

Sort of on topic, I've had a friend suggesting I should watch Log Horizon. Now I never really watch anime outside of whatever toonami airs (hell I don't really watch much of anything these days outside of sporting events) but I've heard good things in here too so I'm actually a little tempted.

bigkrev

I think just don't meta-talk in here too much is the basic idea.

That said, I'm not quite sure what TDM was trying to do with that post. It's a joke via imitation and you just have to assume meaning because of his position? I mean it would make more sense as a joke if he quoted 3 anime avatars that agreed with the censoring because it would throw a wrench into what people typically are trying to accomplish with stupid quotes like that.

The other thing was, there were people in the thread with FAR more "incriminating" anime avatars. The ones he chose were an Etrian Odyssey character (I think?), Link from Zelda with boobs, and Zoro from One Piece.

If it was a joke (which, after thinking about it, it might have been), this is a case where after an entire page of people saying "you are better than that" and "why can a Mod do something like that when I would be banned for doing the same?", you probably should admit it was just a joke.

And while I know meta-commentary and off-topic discussion is frowned upon, this was a topic that, at it's root, was about anime, which makes it on-topic for the thread

789shadow

Banned
I have never seen a person get banned for using someone's avatar as an argument against their statements, which is unacceptable.

bigkrev

Fun (on-topic!) fact: If you google "Those deaf mutes", the first result you get is for Ghost in the Shell SAC, and not the (most likely what the username is based on) line from Catcher in the Rye

#followthemoney

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
edit: decided not to engage in meta-discussion

Anyway, I'm... I'm kinda thinking of getting into One Piece. What's the best way to catch up on the anime?

daveo42

Banned

Anyway, I'm... I'm kinda thinking of getting into One Piece. What's the best way to catch up on the anime?

Funimation's site should have the majority of episodes available to stream for free. I think they release them on Hulu as well, I'm just not sure how far back they actually go and I think the free streaming options are primarily for subs only (might be wrong and can't check cause at work). Then there's always the DVDs which are actually pretty cheap for the amount of episodes you get.

Between hulu/funimation you should be able to watch most of the series. They have this annoying rotating system of seasons so you might randomly find a chunk of episodes missing.

unless you're really down for watching like 200 episodes, i'd honestly say just read the manga and youtube the fight scenes

789shadow

Banned

I can't really recommend trying to catch up on One Piece via the anime. Whether you're trying to catch up to the entire series or just to where Toonami is currently, that's several hundred episodes either way. I will always think that if someone wants to catch up on One Piece to any point in the story, the manga is the best way.

Regarding the meta talk I'm engaging in, I don't really believe that there is any sort of conspiracy among the GAF administrators to intentionally not properly moderate users when the target is certain communities here on GAF. I highly doubt we would have users like duckroll, Dresden, and Shouta as mods if that were true. However, I cannot deny that were I a mod, I would not think twice about banning certain users in threads about certain subjects. I think it is bizarre that this does not already occur. Naturally, the only reason this isn't already happening is because the moderation team doesn't think it's ban-worthy. And I'm not sure I really understand why not.

I mean he's watched all of Bleach canon through the soul society arc in a month, let him watch the anime if he wants. I marathoned all 550 episodes in 6 weeks so its possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom