• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun15| Thread made with armor plating from a SPACE BATTLESHIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Yeah they sub songs, but an entire show subbed. I know subtitled things don't typically do well on American TV but I would still like to see them try.

While I like both audios and I'm the type of person that kind of follows the VA's, I'd prefer the adapted dub script. Besides, Toonami always puts great dubs on.

Subs would, I don't know, take the focus away from the action? Maybe?

Subs would, I don't know, take the focus away from the action? Maybe?

That would be pretty hard considering how many anime are just two people standing around talking and doing nothing, even typically action based ones

It isn't "don't typically do well." It's "ratings death 100% of the time."

And it's a real shame.

Anyway I'm sure you are all sick of the sub vs dub argument but I wish they would try it.

Not really, unless you're a sub elitist.

No it's a shame because not every show gets dubbed. If someone only wants to watch dubs that's fine but it severely limits stuff you can watch and there are plenty of older series that will probably never receive dubs. Most of the dubs on Toonami are of great quality, the era of shitty rushjob dubs is mostly over. "Mostly" because Sentai still exists

Sub vs Dub debate

come on guys we\re better then this

I'm not trying to argue for the superiority of subs but why I would like to see them at least give it a try. But I'll drop it.

Line_HTX

I don't think Metroid was turning this into a debate. He's only saying that Toonami could try it. Though nowadays, most subs are up on Hulu and Crunchyroll, so that option is now there where it wasn't before. To be honest, subs don't NEED to be on Toonami. The only subs there are are signs and titles, like ZENI = CASH.

Again, I like both audios. Whenever I buy stuff I always want DUAL AUDIO. I hate sub elitists too, and I'm pretty sure Metroid is not one. :)

Jarate

Banned
Remember what I said the average Toonami viewer is, theyre the people that will buy Invader Zim gear at Hot Topic, and wear khaki shorts on top of Nightmare Before Christmas fingerless gloves

We saw them at full force at the Toonami panel Q&A, do you think those people would want to read

Remember what I said the average Toonami viewer is, theyre the people that will buy Invader Zim gear at Hot Topic, and wear khaki shorts on top of Nightmare Before Christmas fingerless gloves

We saw them at full force at the Toonami panel Q&A, do you think those people would want to read

The better question is CAN those people read?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Part of me is now kind of glad that Thinkgeek was bought by GameStop instead of Hot Topic.

Crocodile

Sorry to accidentally start a subs vs. dubs, I actually didn't think about this. However, I would criticize the dubbing houses here instead of Toonami.

To be fair, since dubbing a show can cost quite a bit of money, its doesn't make financial sense to dub every show in today's market. A shame but also a truth we have to deal with.

The better question is CAN those people read?

They can't even follow instructions in a spoken language they clearly understand so........outlook not so good.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I swear Scamco has a running joke with their yearly Tales series in which the person who puts forth the worst possible name gets chosen. Last year we had Tales Italian Dressing, now Bears.

I swear Scamco has a running joke with their yearly Tales series in which the person who puts forth the worst possible name gets chosen. Last year we had Tales Italian Dressing, now Bears.

I dunno I think this name is better then Zestiria and Xillia. They are slowly getting more ridiculous though.

Panty and Stocking on toonami when

Didn't they already say they wouldn't do that because of the content?

Although that's kind of silly now that they did Black Lagoon (constant cursing) and Kill la Kill (heavy sexual content)

Yeah they said that two years ago.

They could have changed their minds? I don't remember much in PSG that was worse then KLK except for some nudity? It was pretty much the same as the giant blob monster made of breasts in Space Dandy though

Grexeno

Didn't they already say they wouldn't do that because of the content?

Although that's kind of silly now that they did Black Lagoon (constant cursing) and Kill la Kill (heavy sexual content)
Well, Panty and Stocking is on another level in terms of cursing, and also has an extremely non-standard art style.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just for reference, Black Lagoon had 283 bleeps within its 224. P&S has 350+ within HALF the episode amount. There would be so many bleeps, I think we'd hear more of the bleeping instead of the actual dialogue.

No it's a shame because not every show gets dubbed. If someone only wants to watch dubs that's fine but it severely limits stuff you can watch and there are plenty of older series that will probably never receive dubs. Most of the dubs on Toonami are of great quality, the era of shitty rushjob dubs is mostly over. "Mostly" because Sentai still exists.

Well, most of the action shows that don't get dubbed are just outright unlicensed in America, and I don't think Toonami would play a lot of the older ones even with a dub. If Toonami did ever decide to air subs, it would really just be more of a matter of getting a show sooner rather than getting a show we'd never see otherwise. And even then, dubs are coming out sooner and sooner so I'm not sure that would be of much benefit, especially when they really only have like three show slots to work with.

Well, most of the action shows that don't get dubbed are just outright unlicensed in America, and I don't think Toonami would play a lot of the older ones even with a dub. If Toonami did ever decide to air subs, it would really just be more of a matter of getting a show sooner rather than getting a show we'd never see otherwise. And even then, dubs are coming out sooner and sooner so I'm not sure that would be of much benefit, especially when they really only have like three show slots to work with.

Exactly, what major action anime can you think of that isn't dubbed and would do extremely well on Toonami? Only a Gundam would work and outside of wing and g none of those have done extremely well on Toonami

Edit: and Hunter x Hunter but someone has the rights to its us release and is sitting on it for some reason

Grexeno

The inherent problem with simuldubs is that slots on Toonami don't open up in accordance with new seasons in Japan.

simuldub is the future

That would be great if Toonami was able to acquire them while they are airing and if there were open spots.

edit: someone beat me to it

Is Tokyo Ghoul S1 being dubbed? I know Root A was. That would be a pretty nice get since it was the "next big thing" after SAO and Attack on Titan.

Ok it apparently is. Does Toonami tend to pick up shows from certain people or do they go all over, Aniplex, Funimation, Sentai etc I don't know the specific right holders of every show

Grexeno

Does Toonami tend to pick up shows from certain people or do they go all over, Aniplex, Funimation, Sentai etc I don't know the specific right holders of every show
Now that Akame ga Kill is the first Sentai show Toonami has obtained, yeah, they deal with all 4 major rights holders consistently.

Ok it apparently is. Does Toonami tend to pick up shows from certain people or do they go all over, Aniplex, Funimation, Sentai etc I don't know the specific right holders of every show

They seem to work the most with Funimation and Aniplex. Sentai remains to be seen, but I have my money on Sentai being a similar situation to Viz, which appears to be only when they have something popular enough to offset the potential cost.

Grexeno

Not only is Food Wars a sports anime, it's also about something that isn't even really a sport.

I rate its future chances of coming to Toonami at -5000000%

Not only is Food Wars a sports anime, it's also about something that isn't even really a sport.

I rate its future chances of coming to Toonami at -5000000%

Cooking counts as sport?

What's the deal with Toonami and sports anime, did they say they weren't looking to pick any up?

Yeah, they basically said they won't air sports anime.

That's pretty silly, there's even been a boon of hot blooded Sports anime like Haikyuu, Yowamushi Pedal and a new season of Hajime no Ippo. Sports is probably one of the most popular manga/anime genres and has a pretty big appeal.

Grexeno

That's pretty silly, there's even been a boon of hot blooded Sports anime like Haikyuu, Yowamushi Pedal and a new season of Hajime no Ippo. Sports is probably one of the most popular manga/anime genres and has a pretty big appeal.
I don't remember the entire rationale, but I do remember that Prince of Tennis mega-bombed on old Toonami.

Moaradin

Shows like Hajime no Ippo, Kuroko no Basket and Haikyuu are shonen as fuck. Don't see why they'd do poorly on Toonami given the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom