• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun15| Thread made with armor plating from a SPACE BATTLESHIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

The unpopularity of One Piece in the US also goes back to the manga scanlations. Back when there were only a few good fan translators, the one for the biggest group (Toriyama World?) loudly expressed his disdain for One Piece and refused to translate it, opting for Naruto and later Bleach instead. Thus, all of the early One Piece scanlations were done by bad groups. It also took until Kaizoku Fansubs to come along for One Piece to get decent subs while groups were falling over themselves to translate Naruto and Bleach, and we still ended up getting "nakama" out of that deal. One Piece got the short end of the stick in the US well before 4Kids got to it.

You are REALLY overestimating the relevance of fan translations to the popularity of these franchises with the casual anime fan. Fan translation are not what got Bleach and Naruto and whatever into Hot Topic, etc. Aesthetics, subject matter, music, etc. matter way more. Bleach is "cool", Naruto has ninjas - you don't have to look much deeper.

Funimation is releasing Tokyo Ghoul season one in September.

Sword Art Online 2 also ends in September.

All but confirms that TG will be SAO's replacement.

A perfect fit really. Never finished the anime but I like the manga. Hopefully they can get it uncensored? The censorship in TG was really really bad. Black screens everywhere.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Jojo might do fine.

The show I'd worry about if it ever got a dub being hurt by One Piece is Hunter x Hunter.
On the bright side, it surely has doomed Fairy Tail from ever appearing on Toonami.

Funimation is releasing Tokyo Ghoul season one in September.

Sword Art Online 2 also ends in September.

All but confirms that TG will be SAO's replacement.
Isn't Attack on Titan Part 1 the only time Funimation has done this? Every other show has had its DVD released ages before it's TV airing. Or is Space Dandy where the DVD came way after. Funimation doesn't seem to be fans of releasing DVDs in conjunction with the TV airings. That's more an Aniplex thing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
On the bright side, it surely has doomed Fairy Tail from ever appearing on Toonami.

Fairy Tail has that hot topic appeal I feel. Not quite Naruto/Bleach level but the kids would eat it up.

It's amazing how long it took for Naruto to get going in the US.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Why did 4Kids license One Piece in the first place? Never really seemed like it was up their alley, even back then.

You can blame JUMP for that. All 4Kids wanted was YuGiOh, JUMP was super eager to get One Piece going in the west so they forced it on them. Even back then, the 4Kids execs said it wasn't their type of show and it should go to Funi. JUMP wanted it to be the next Dragon Ball Z, saw that the timing was right, and tried to make it happen without thinking about who they were giving it too hard enough. As we would later see Naruto took the role they wanted for One Piece and the brand was ruined in America as a result of their impatience.

You are REALLY overestimating the relevance of fan translations to the popularity of these franchises with the casual anime fan. Fan translation are not what got Bleach and Naruto and whatever into Hot Topic, etc. Aesthetics, subject matter, music, etc. matter way more. Bleach is "cool", Naruto has ninjas - you don't have to look much deeper.

Yea, it was a combination of edge and timing. Had One Piece been done by Funi from the start it would have had a fighting chance, but Japan's impatience killed it here. The fact it's doing as well as it is, well it's a testament to how good a series it is.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Brand stewardship of Naruto wasn't perfect either. It took too long to come over and going to Disney XD, despite having no better options as CN was fed up with cartoons and anime especially at the time, really fucked over Shippuden.

It was hella popular for those few years though. The real victim of Naruto's late state though...was THAT THE US NEVER GOT THE LAST TWO GCN GAMES, THE REALLY GOOD ONES.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Brand stewardship of Naruto wasn't perfect either. It took too long to come over and going to Disney XD, despite having no better options as CN was fed up with cartoons and anime especially at the time, really fucked over Shippuden.

It was hella popular for those few years though. The real victim of Naruto's late state though...was THAT THE US NEVER GOT THE LAST TWO GCN GAMES, THE REALLY GOOD ONES.

CN pushed OG Naruto hard, but Shippuden going to Disney did a lot of damage.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
CN pushed OG Naruto hard, but Shippuden going to Disney did a lot of damage.

They let Shippuden go to Disney, more or less. They stopped pushing right around the beginning of the bring back the sauce arc, running two new episodes a week on an undesirable time slot on Saturdays. Took a long ass break before airing the last bit of filler, and didn't even finish it until after a nearly year long break in 2009. It was during the bleakest hour of CN though as they were almost done with original content, added a bunch of live action to the channel and basically lived off of Ben 10 and whatever Canada was doing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There's one small particular Shippuden scene coming up that I'm curious how Disney handled.

I accidentally got back into Naruto:Shippuden right when the next episode started airing on XD...and by that time I believe the first run episodes were on Tuesdays at 2am, so it might have been uncut.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
They let Shippuden go to Disney, more or less. They stopped pushing right around the beginning of the bring back the sauce arc, running two new episodes a week on an undesirable time slot on Saturdays. Took a long ass break before airing the last bit of filler, and didn't even finish it until after a nearly year long break in 2009. It was during the bleakest hour of CN though as they were almost done with original content, added a bunch of live action to the channel and basically lived off of Ben 10 and whatever Canada was doing.

I'm just glad the people who were in-charge of those decisions are gone now and can no longer hurt us.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
But cartoons are expensive! Live Action Reality based programming is cheap, especially if we can co produce it/license it from state funded Canadian programming! Kids love Saved by the Bell!

Square Enix announces TWEWY 2, Nintendo announces a new Metroid and Namco announces a Digimon Cyber Sleuth and God Eater 2: Rage Burst localization.

Raxus

Speaking of filler. Naruto Shippuden just went into more canon filler after finishing 20 episodes of filler.

This is why most anime fans quickly grew to hate Naruto.

JoJo endings are some of the best in a long time. Roundabout especially. It is so perfect for the series.

My body is ready.

media.nl

Why did we have to wait over a year for a home release of season two, Funimation?!!

They're fleshing out shorter canon scenes.

So it's the One Piece treatment.

So it's the One Piece treatment.

Except where One Piece could REALLY use that kind of canon filler fight now, Naruto just needs to end >_< when you get to the final battle/arc of your ENTIRE SERIES* spending half a month on pointless filler is mind boggling. We know this isn't some insane budget saving plan to go all out with the finale its a stalling tactic to make more money off the Naruto anime.

Nobody wants adventure games

Broken Age funded in hours and raises 10x its goal

Nobody wants mega man games

Mighty No 9 funded in hours and raises 4x its goal

Nobody wants collectathon 3d platformers

Yooka Layle funded in hours and raises 10x its goal

Nobody wants metroidvania games

Bloodstained funded in hours and raises 10x its goal

Nobody wants Shenmue

Shenmue funded in hours and could easily 3x its goal

Nope just keep pumping out only AAAA games that have to do CoD/Destiny money or bust

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Nobody wants adventure games

Broken Age funded in hours and raises 10x its goal

Nobody wants mega man games

Mighty No 9 funded in hours and raises 4x its goal

Nobody wants collectathon 3d platformers

Yooka Layle funded in hours and raises 10x its goal

Nobody wants metroidvania games

Bloodstained funded in hours and raises 10x its goal

Nobody wants Shenmue

Shenmue funded in hours and could easily 3x its goal

Nope just keep pumping out only AAAA games that have to do CoD/Destiny money or bust

Why are publishers so god damn stupid?

We should start a kickstarter for Half-Life 3.

That's all on Valve to self-publish, and they KNOW people want it. They just don't care and are too busy not doing anything to fix Steam.
If anything, I'd rather they fix Steam than make Half-Life 3.

Jarate

Banned
Be patient guys, all signs point to Valve working on Half Life 3 and Left 4 Dead 3, I wouldnt be surprised if they get announced closer to when the Vive release date gets announced

I think their main concern. Is going to be porting CS:GO, TF2 and Dota 2 to Source 2 and updating that, after that, they have their hardware to deal with and that's really it.

daveo42

Banned
Except where One Piece could REALLY use that kind of canon filler fight now, Naruto just needs to end >_< when you get to the final battle/arc of your ENTIRE SERIES* spending half a month on pointless filler is mind boggling. We know this isn't some insane budget saving plan to go all out with the finale its a stalling tactic to make more money off the Naruto anime.

They really are milking Naruto for all its worth at this point, which makes me want to watch the anime even less. Odd Naruto filler just to extend its life is what turned me off of the show to begin with. The two year Naruto filler before Shippuden, the awful pacing of the first two arcs leading directly into more filler was kind of the last straw for me.

One Piece at least has done an okay job with canon filler (at least up to the point I've watched and I'm about 2yrs out on the anime), but I'm still disappointed that they never go back to the cover arcs since a lot of those are pretty awesome. I get the reasoning that no one wants to watch an anime without the main characters, but come on! Enel on the MOON?! What's not to love?

Just got home from the theater.
Sony wins everything.

I still don't have a firm grasp on the amount of games they announced and still cannot believe TLG, FF7R, and Shenmue are real.

Moaradin

Speaking of filler. Naruto Shippuden just went into more canon filler after finishing 20 episodes of filler.

This is why most anime fans quickly grew to hate Naruto.

JoJo endings are some of the best in a long time. Roundabout especially. It is so perfect for the series.

Luckily it was only two episodes. I hope we're done with all this
Obito
shit soon.

Why are publishers so god damn stupid?

To be fair, I think a lot of these are the result of the absence making people anticipate the games more and the community building up hype. A lot of these franchises legitimately did not do very well when they were canned.

But on the other hand, the fact that publishers are all chasing the next big AAA game certainly played a part.

bigkrev

Had this been a stage show, man...
They really shouldn't have shown Mario Maker at the WC if it was the best thing they had.

Grexeno

C7RY0VT.gif

Just...........fuck you Nintendo

HERE'S METROID

IT'S A FUCKING SPORTS GAME ON THE 3DS

HERE'S ANIMAL CROSSING ON THE WII U

IT'S A FUCKING BOARD GAME

HERE'S PAPER MARIO

IT'S A FUCKING WEIRD-ASS CROSSOVER WITH MARIO & LUIGI ON THE 3DS

Puruzi

Banned
I'm hyped beyond belief for the Paper Mario x Mario and Luigi game though. BEYOND BELIEF.
Fire Emblem and SMTxFE were cool I guess. Everything else? I literally do not give a fuck.

I'm kinda soured on Nintendo as a whole now, damn.

Moaradin

Wasn't really expecting anything crazy. Nintendo already came out and said NX and Zelda won't be here. Plus I like the Paper Mario and Mario Tennis games, so I'm happy. Mario Maker looks amazing too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom