• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun15| Thread made with armor plating from a SPACE BATTLESHIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

YtWKLdA.png

demarcooooooo

Rakkety Tam

Neo Member
Now that it's summer I have more free time, so I figured I'd actually watch Sword Art Online so that I can actually maybe watch Sword Art Online II with Toonamigaf. I'm watching the dub through Netflix, so it's essentially identical to the version shown on Toonami. In blatant imitation of Htown, I'm going to post my impressions here. Don't expect anything too exciting, I've watched to like episode 6, I'm fairly spoilered for the show and my reactions don't tend to be too intense. I'm fairly sure I'll be more or less fine with this show. However, I do watch things fairly carefully, so expect commentary on minutiae.

SAO I Episode I (The World of Swords)

We're shown a trailer of SAO (brought to you by ARGUS). According to the trailer, you might be able to ride horses, but trailers aren't always accurate, so eh. I kind of like that Klein cameos early as one of the people that waited in line for SAO at Akihabara, potentially camping out for three days. Great decision, Klein. Don't know why they showed Kirito giving himself a paper cut. Kirito's young female relaitive also gets her cameo. Huh, the NerveGear could run on batteries, according to the HUD, though Kirito had it plugged it in. I guess that thinned out a few people who hadn't charged it well. I like how the NerveGear OKs the five sense, that feels genuine. Seeing pre-magical mirror Kirito is weird. Pain is not a thing in SAO, which is reasonable. "If you activate a Sword Skill at the right time, the system pretty much guarantees you'll hit your target." *throws a rock* Apparently Klein played no games ever, if he thought a boar with no cool-looking scars was a mid-level boss. With multiple identical boars probably within sight. Aincrad has a sun, a moon, and... a smaller sun by the moon? Fair enough, doesn't matter. So those under the influence of NerveGear can still feel the hunger of their actual bodies. I wonder if they can feel anything else, but I doubt it'll come up again. Wow, those clouds are just flying by. Hey, they actually noted that the NerveGear has an internal battery. Neat. Pretty sure an EMP would still work though. As of the GM annoucement 2.13% of the game population is dead. I like to think that there was one guy who thought not to follow the orders of the murderous GM guy, and still has the looks he picked. I have no idea how Kirito didn't recognize Klein; he looks exactly the same. Ah, I guess the paper cut earlier was so that they could show this scene with his finger bleeding to show that the game is real. And here we go: Asuna, Silica and Liz get their early cameos. And Silica highlights as the first person to scream panickedly, and drops her mirror. Silly girl, that was worth at least one gp to the junk vendors. Kirito rather sensibly drags Klein and himself out of the mob panic zone.I don't know how money and XP are limited in an MMO, maybe limited spawns? But it makes it seem like spawns can literally fun out, so I don't know, eh. And Klein confirms that he stood in line for a whole night to buy SAO. And Klein ran a guild, apparently in a game without boars. Nice shot angles in this alleyway they're chatting in. And Kirito is running to camp all the EZ XP and get that phat loot. Nice running scene interspersed with shots of flashbacks/ real life. I'm going to assume that that's Kirito's mother comforting Kirito's crying young female relative. Kirito kills a wolf while swearing to survive, and we're done. Fair enough. Didn't have the fight completion screen pop up, which makes sense as it would've ruined the moment. Onto the ending song and accompanying animation. What appears to be constellations are rotating around. No idea what that's about. And we have a shot of Asuna being sad on a bed, I'm not sure if that'll read to anything. Some fairly nice animation of Kirito slashing monsters while on the run. And a little boss battle scene interspersed with shots of all the characters that I think are going to matter. OK, the shot of Asuna serving Kirito food is kind of funny due to seeming kind of out-of-place. This ending makes it fairly clear that Kirito and Asuna are going to end up together. And after the ending song we have a shot of the K's on the death wall. Apparently 180 of the 10000 people in the game picked a name that started with K. And only 2 of them are dead. They are slightly luckier then the general population. I'm going to assume these are in-game tags rather than actual names, because one of these people is called Kingjoe. Also, apparently Kirito is the protagonist's tag, not name. Huh. Klein is there, which makes sense and is good. And Kayaba is not there, which makes sense and is good. Keita, aka, suicide.gif man, is there. Kuradeel, aka, Asuna's "bodyguard", is there. Kirito is obviously there. Well they were good on attention to detail here. Though I see at least one name that's not in alphabetical order. December 2, one month into the game, 20% of the population is dead, and Floor One hasn't been cleared.

This episode covered the events of October 31st to December 2nd. All actual events happened October 31st. Happy Halloween! Don't knock on Kayaba's door, because this year he's handing out tricks.

Raxus

Welcome Tam and let me be the first to say you are putting way too much effort into a series that goes off the deep end fast. Still glad to see you enthusiastic!

Cornbread78

Now that it's summer I have more free time, so I figured I'd actually watch Sword Art Online so that I can actually maybe watch Sword Art Online II with Toonamigaf.

I can't even... I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Well the first 15 episodes are really good, then it gets very anime very fast in the second arc....

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There's gonna be a certain episode (I won't say which) that when you reach, I'm gonna link you to our reactions because they are GLORIOUS.

Jarate

Banned
Weve been getting a lot of new bros recently to our thread, so welcome to our humble abode.

Also, make sure to put on your epiduo face wash while eating your hotpockets when you watch toonami!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Is it that good? Does the hatewatch get better?

Because I started it expecting it to be pretty a pretty mediocre affair overall, and I just hated it to the point of dropping it.

I too hated it from the start. Episode 1 made no sense...
It was all downhill from there.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ep. 1 was basically "Hey, we have a decent concept going on, WANNA SEE HOW WE COMPLETELY & UTTERLY SCREW IT UP?!!?"

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ep. 1 was basically "Hey, we have a decent concept going on, WANNA SEE HOW WE COMPLETELY & UTTERLY SCREW IT UP?!!?"

That was like the first five minutes of the episode. If it hadn't been for that damn 10-15 minute stretch where we got the MMO controls explained to us for no goddamned reason it could have been a really really good opening episode.

Ultratech

I liked SAO ep 1, and was ok with it until they started timeskipping every episode.

Yeah, the timeskipping was real annoying in spots.

It's one thing to skip a few days or a maybe a week or two, but when you start skipping whole months, it gets a little crazy.

(Even more annoying when you have very little idea what exactly happened in that skipped time.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom