• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun15| Thread made with armor plating from a SPACE BATTLESHIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've heard, the 2D animation stuff is going to be a web series of some sort(?).
I can see why they went for the CG/realistic look to appeal to international audiences.

Grexeno

Man, playing Arkham Knight and Patrick Seitz voices all of the militia big guys. I'm hoping that eventually the game will screw up and he'll end up talking to himself.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Goku shouldn't be voiced by an old lady, but Frieza should be.

Makes zero sense. Especially when you hear Ryusei Nakao's performance, he sounds nothing like an old lady.
I do think someone younger should play Goku, to reflect his innocence and naivety a bit more.
Also, why won't Oda allow a young man to play Luffy? He's 17, the woman voice really only works in Japanese. Clinkenbeard does a decent job but still...

BatDan

I don't think he/they actually understand that though.

I should correct myself. It's not Oda really, it's more Toei.
You're right though, they probably don't understand that English vocal range is much more different.
Women are fine when playing young boys or early teens. But once you hit 16, a man is a better option.

Someone working with Funi stated they wanted Eric Vale to play Luffy, but Toei said "no".

Moaradin

Sean Schemmel is great as Goku he does the childlike personality well enough. I can't imagine anyone else voicing him in English at this point.

Because voice acting in Japan, especially for long running characters like Luffy or Goku, are legacy kind of things and those voice actors are the character until they die. Voice acting is a way bigger thing in Japan then pretty much anywhere else.

Grexeno

I'm not usually one to weeb over Japanese voice acting, but the JoJo dub can't possibly touch Koyasu's Dio voice. Even if they got literally the best possible person on Earth to do the voice, it still can't come close because Koyasu was literally made to voice Dio.

DIO has been voiced by a lot of people over the years but Koyasu is the best, this is me putting him over Norio Wakamoto who voiced DIO in the Drama CD

And I love Wakamoto

Regiruler

Makes zero sense. Especially when you hear Ryusei Nakao's performance, he sounds nothing like an old lady.
I do think someone younger should play Goku, to reflect his innocence and naivety a bit more.
Also, why won't Oda allow a young man to play Luffy? He's 17, the woman voice really only works in Japanese. Clinkenbeard does a decent job but still...
I have the same complaint for Naruto.

He constantly sounds like someone losing their voice.

Moaradin

I'm not usually one to weeb over Japanese voice acting, but the JoJo dub can't possibly touch Koyasu's Dio voice. Even if they got literally the best possible person on Earth to do the voice, it still can't come close because Koyasu was literally made to voice Dio.

I agree. Same with Sugita as Joseph. I'm not expecting any of those voices to be topped, but I'll be satisfied if Ben Diskin and Patrick Seitz(if he's still voicing Dio) does a decent job.

Grexeno

I agree. Same with Sugita as Joseph. I'm not expecting any of those voices to be topped, but I'll be satisfied if Ben Diskin and Patrick Seitz(if he's still voicing Dio) does a decent job.
Seitz was just an odd choice. And I really don't know why he wasn't just doing Luke Valentine again, since that's by far the most fitting voice for Dio in his reportiore. Unfortunately, Crispin Freeman is basically an impossibility due to union stuff.

BatDan

Because voice acting in Japan, especially for long running characters like Luffy or Goku, are legacy kind of things and those voice actors are the character until they die. Voice acting is a way bigger thing in Japan then pretty much anywhere else.

Good point... voice actors in Japan are treated like actual celebrities instead of second class citizens like the West.
Now I'm wondering what they'll do when Nozawa dies. Not only is she Goku, she's also Gohan, Goten, and Bardock.

I think MasakoX is a better Goku than Sean.

Yes, I said it.

I should correct myself. It's not Oda really, it's more Toei.
You're right though, they probably don't understand that English vocal range is much more different.
Women are fine when playing young boys or early teens. But once you hit 16, a man is a better option.

Someone working with Funi stated they wanted Eric Vale to play Luffy, but Toei said "no".

There is likely no male voice actor who could pull off a convincing Luffy voice.

I've heard clips of Vale as Luffy, and it was.....ehh, not very good.

Moaradin

Patrick Seitz only had a couple lines in the test dub so it's not enough for me to judge, but he seemed alright. He definitely wasn't doing his normal gruff voice. It was more smooth like Luke Valentine.

BatDan

I think MasakoX is a better Goku than Sean.

Yes, I said it.

There is likely no male voice actor who could pull off a convincing Luffy voice.

I've heard clips of Vale as Luffy, and it was.....ehh, not very good.

MasakoX could pull off Luffy.
I know in that brief fake-out they did before Hellsing Ultimate Abridged, KaiserNeko played Luffy. It was just one line so not enough to gauge.

That's literally only because a woman voiced him first.

Not necessarily. I'm sure there are male voice actors who can deliver a high-pitched, young voice.
But most of them are probably kids themselves and will outgrow the role.

MasakoX could pull off Luffy.
I know in that brief fake-out they did before Hellsing Ultimate Abridged, KaiserNeko played Luffy. It was just one line so not enough to gauge.

I've never seen that. Link?

There's no reason Luffy has to have such a high-pitched voice that a woman has to voice him.

It has less too do with the pitch and more to do with how much the voice fits the character.

Example: Franky's Japanese and English voice are night and day, but both fit the character well enough.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DBZ abridged is brilliant, don't get me wrong, but it is no substitute for the real deal. They change a lot of the intent of the story for pure comedy, which is what they are going for but it dilutes the real narrative present.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It has less too do with the pitch and more to do with how much the voice fits the character.

Example: Franky's Japanese and English voice are night and day, but both fit the character well enough.
Agreed. I think if Funimation tried to replicate the JPN voice (i.e what Aniplex did for some of the females in Kill la Kill, though they pulled it off amazingly), it would've sounded rather annoying. Some voices don't translate well if you speak them in a different language.

I mean, imagine if they tried to replicate JPN Goku's voice in English.

BatDan

Agreed. I think if Funimation tried to replicate the JPN voice (i.e what Aniplex did for some of the females in Kill la Kill), it would've sounded rather annoying. Some voices don't translate well if you speak them in a different language.

I mean, imagine if they tried to replicate JPN Goku's voice in English.

Kazuki Yao sounds awesome... but he doesn't translate well.
Franky's supposed to be a tough yet flamboyant pervert, and having a really nasally voice in English won't convey that.

Rutger

Banned
Something like Franky's Japanese VA would not have worked in English. We'd all be thinking back to Iago from Aladdin or something.

I have a really hard time picturing a deeper voice for Luffy though.

Moaradin

Oda did pick the English VOs apparently. I love both versions of the cast. Some I prefer in English, others in Japanese. Overall they're both great.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I only really prefer Sanji and Franky in Japanese myself.

Everyone else is around the same level. Took a long ass time to like the dub Luffy but now I might even prefer it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom