• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun15| Thread made with armor plating from a SPACE BATTLESHIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Ignoring Sanji the actual voice actors/acting was fine in the 4kids dub... it was all the silly censorship and awful writing/jokes that killed it.

Sanji is that bad. Why the fuck didn't they just get Joey from YGO? That would have worked fine.

A ton of the bit roles were dire though just like YGO. Pokémon done by Four Kids usually had pretty decent bit role actors.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
4Kids heavily relied on stereotyping.
Mihawk was French likely because of his mustache.
Robin was Southern because of her hat. By the way, she was played by Veronica Taylor (Ash from Pokemon)
Wapol was Russian because big fat guy with beard

Then there were accents that made no sense. Mr. 2 Bon Clay sounded like Little Richard. What?

4Kids heavily relied on stereotyping.
Mihawk was French likely because of his mustache.
Robin was Southern because of her hat. By the way, she was played by Veronica Taylor (Ash from Pokemon)
Wapol was Russian because big fat guy with beard

Then there were accents that made no sense. Mr. 2 Bon Clay sounded like Little Richard. What?

That sounds like the perfecting casting then

:p

I want Koyasu to do the dub for DIO. It'll all be in horrible engrish, it's going to be great!

What I heard of the dub was fine. Dude's got the smooth voice down, it's the hamminess that's in question.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
TWENTY YEARS IN THE DUNGEON.

.....so wait, how did 4Kids handle the fact if she went to a dungeon, the crew never went to GO FIND & RESCUE HER?

Edit: I don't know why, but...I think I KIND OF like the voice 4Kids gave to Arlong slightly more than Funimation's dub (it sounds a bit too deep). Maybe it was the way they changed his voice to sound more "fish"-ish, but that stupid script doesn't help.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Well, a couple of people are saved from the Shadow Realm in YGO.

In fact, that was a great localization substitute right there. Shadow Realm is scary as fuck yet perfectly acceptable by Standards and Practices.

TWENTY YEARS IN THE DUNGEON.

.....so wait, how did 4Kids handle the fact if she went to a dungeon, the crew never went to GO FIND & RESCUE HER?

Edit: I don't know why, but...I think I KIND OF like the voice 4Kids gave to Arlong slightly more than Funimation's dub. Maybe it was the way they changed his voice to sound more "fish"-ish, but that stupid script doesn't help.

Impel Down is really really hard to break into okay

In fact, that was a great localization substitute right there. Shadow Realm is scary as fuck yet perfectly acceptable by Standards and Practices.

Oh I agree the Shadow Realm is by far the best substitute/censorship that if you didn't know any better would seem like it was meant to be there
until Yugi has a duel with laser blade saws that will "send your mind to the shadow realm if it cuts you" and other scenes during Battle City

My point is that as you said they do "save people from the shadow realm" so it always seems weird when they save certain people and not others. Obviously in the manga/Japanese version we know why
can't save the dead
but in the dubbed version it doesn't make sense.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

Oh hell yeah, as a kid, it sounds like one of those "fate worse than death"" places or the equivalent of hell.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Funny you bring up the Shadow Realm.
Lately I've been slogging through Kamen Rider Dragon Knight, a Western adaptation of Kamen Rider Ryuki.
Ryuki was notable for having a bunch of "Evil Riders". When defeated, they died. Because this aired on "The CW 4Kids", they had to censor it. So they got "vented", which meant being trapped in a dimension between worlds forever. They haven't tried to hide it's death...

Also, this is why Kamen Rider hasn't been adapted since. I'm 15 episodes in (out of 40) and this is awful.
It's slow, it's boring, it overuses slow-mo, the 2002 Ryuki footage does not hold up that well, especially when contrasted with the 2008 original footage (it aired in 2009 so I imagine it was filmed the year before), all the Evil Riders have the same personality and tone of voice "grr I'm angry", the recaps are straight out of One Piece, lasting way too long, and 15 episodes in NOTHING HAS HAPPENED!
To make it worse, Episode 15 is a fucking clip show! God damn!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Laser saw blades that when they cut off your ankles also send your mind to the Shadow Realm, a realm of eternal darkness and suffering? YGO dub is HARDCORE.

Also the people who don't get saved are bad guys by and large. Yeah, some of them are mind slaves/doing it for the right reason, but meh. King of Games gonna King of Games.

Laser saw blades that when they cut off your ankles also send your mind to the Shadow Realm, a realm of eternal darkness and suffering? YGO dub is HARDCORE.

Also the people who don't get saved are bad guys by and large. Yeah, some of them are mind slaves/doing it for the right reason, but meh. King of Games gonna King of Games.

Reading the manga the most disappointing thing about YGO is not that it shifts gears into only being about the card game, it's that Yami stops having clever penalty games for people and just begins mind crushing everyone.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I remember reading the original "season zero" series (my library had those & then the regular card game series) & was surprised at the fact they played a ton of different games, then all the unique publishments. It's a shame the series just stuck with card games after that.

Yeah, I remember reading the original "season zero" series (my library had those & then the regular card game series) & was surprised at the fact they played a ton of different games, then all the unique publishments. It's a shame the series just stuck with card games after that.

He saw an opportunity to make a shit load of money and he took it and the dude is now set for life between the never ending card games, animes, video games, etc. The dude since finishing YGO in 2004 had made a living supervising the later YGO manga adaptations. I think he did a single one shot two years ago and that's it. Now he just makes video games for fun while living off royalties from YGO.

I find it funny how, in just this week, every One Piece-related discussion seems to always loop back to 4Kids. I can't be the only one who's noticed that.

I think I'll call it "Kahn's Law"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't understand why they'd add that line. Is it some kid friendly joke I'm missing?

Rub Out is a pretty standard if dated euphemism for killing someone, and more importantly, is one that'll pass standards and practices. Now either someone handling the 4kids dub at that time (right near the end actually) is either hilarious and wanted to sneak that in or they just didn't notice the implication.

Order

Rub Out is a pretty standard if dated euphemism for killing someone, and more importantly, is one that'll pass standards and practices. Now either someone handling the 4kids dub at that time (right near the end actually) is either hilarious and wanted to sneak that in or they just didn't notice the implication.

It has to be this. It's just too lewd to not notice.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
How far did 4Kids get again? The last I recall was Alabasta, then when they got to Skypiea, Cartoon Network switched to the Funimation dub.

How far did 4Kids get again? The last I recall was Alabasta, then when they got to Skypiea, Cartoon Network switched to the Funimation dub.

I remember them getting to the trial in Skypiea with the river. It stopped sometime around there.

Really it was before then? It was something to do with a river.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I remember them getting to the trial in Skypiea with the river. It stopped sometime around there.
I think that's when CN stopped airing OP before it got cancelled (or was it Toonami?). It was right in the middle of the battle with that sphere guy.

The end of the filler arc before Skypiea. 143 episodes, though they Kai'd it into 104!
Ahh, that would explain why CN switched dubs.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The early Funimation episodes are rough and I believe the original CN aired versions had additional edits to keep it slightly closer to the 4kids dub in regards to names. They also of course did unedited versions.

So Funimation starts at 144 and goes to 167, when CN cancels it. They finish up to 206, which does get an English airing in Austrailia, then does 1-143. They only started dubbing the HD era, where TOONAMI started a few months before TOONAMI picked up the series, maybe a year or so.

They've since gained quite a bit of ground over where the TOONAMI dub is, having finished the entire next arc which isn't short at all.

The early Funimation episodes are rough and I believe the original CN aired versions had additional edits to keep it slightly closer to the 4kids dub in regards to names. They also of course did unedited versions.

So Funimation starts at 144 and goes to 206, then does 1-143. They only started dubbing the HD era, where TOONAMI started a few months before TOONAMI picked up the series, maybe a year.

One Piece will never be finished (in America).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Indeed. So even if the CN airing hadn't been canceled unless Funimation held off on dubbing the first part of the saga or they'd agree to start over we'd still be in this place.

4kids would have caught up by now, sure, by skipping canon and filler arcs left and right and turning any string of violent episodes into an Abridged series like mess (I think their personal record is 4 episodes into 1) but we'd be close!

Pokémon started way behind (18 months), switched companies partway through and is now within two months of the Japanese. Mainly by doing a couple of weekday runs during the Gen 3 series.

Of course if you look how far behind even 4kids were, well, yeah. Naruto is a pretty good example of how that might have turned out. They still dub it at an acceptable clip even but its just so far behind with no hope of getting a 5 day a week catchup run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom