• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun15| Thread made with armor plating from a SPACE BATTLESHIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... I saw a thing on the new SAO game and that you get to control a wide variety of characters! And by "wide" they mean Kirito + his wingman from SAO + the bartender + one guy I'd never heard of + 14 harem members. 14.

Now, that's sort of expected, but, alas, Sinon was one of them. She moves to ALO, doesn't she? BLAAAAAAH. She was so awesome in her intro episode! SO GOOD. Sigh. I remember saying even then that it would be crushing when she just ended up in the harem, but I didn't think her fall from grace would be anywhere near as painful as it has been.

Someone PLEASE tell me this game is godawful. Please? On the merits of gameplay, I mean. There's no way the story and harem activities aren't miserable.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So The Grand Line is just a section of the sea?

The Grand Line is where most of the series takes place, it gets explained properly in the next arc. Or maybe at the end of the next arc. Or is it the one after that? Honestly I forget, but it gets explained before chapter 100.

daveo42

Banned
You have no idea. The series kicks it up into a higher gear in the next arc, that arc acts as a baseline for the rest of the series. So if you're liking this one, prepare yourself.

Yup, next arc is where the manga goes from good shounen to one of the best. Grandline just amps things up.

Raxus

Shockingly enough we have run through over 100 episodes of One Piece almost so we'd be in Alabasta filler hell about now.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
All joking aside, the only thing I dislike is having to wait SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO long to figure out when certain characters/locations I was introduced to via Pirate Warriors 2 will appear on Toonami since I don't know which arc they appear in or when.

Adventures with Ace in the desert is probably the best filler in the whole series

G-8_Arc.png

Jarate

Banned
Best filler in the series is nothing

all filler in One Piece is shit.

Im sorry Man-God

DBZ filler was pretty ace, hell, even the Garlic Jr Arc wasnt that bad

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DBZ is actually pretty damn solid with filler. Fake Namek is bad (and there's a lot of it) but Snake Way/Vegeta+Nappa/Garlic Jr./SSJ Gohan's adventures are all pretty damn solid.

Jarate

Banned
DBZ is actually pretty damn solid with filler. Fake Namek is bad (and there's a lot of it) but Snake Way/Vegeta+Nappa/Garlic Jr./SSJ Gohan's adventures are all pretty damn solid.

Young Gohans adventures were pretty ace too.

Fake Namek was shitty though, but in terms of quality filler, DBZ has a lot of it.

Filler can be great. Its just that shows like Naruto and Bleach have garbage filler with it either happening in the middle of a major arc in Bleach's case or it just being extremely boring in Naruto's case.

I wish more shows would use filler to develop side characters in meaningful ways that don't get covered in the manga, but rarely do you see that because conflicting canon reasons.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DBZ likely has the best filler of any show. It certainly has the single best episode in the driver's test, and the single best arc in Gohan's high school days.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If the Non-Canon Member thinks so, then it must be true.

But wouldn't that make his statements false and non-canon as well?

Let me ponder this for a moment.

Don't make me call the Boss, splithead.

I've been thinking about this myself a lot and it boils down to a few ideas.

1. I'm the authority when it comes to Non-Canon™ material.
2. Since I am Non-Canon™ though, it makes my happenings inconsequential most of the time to the actual story, since most likely things will go back to a zero state.
3. But maybe I'm one of those rare Non-Canon™ characters whose presence transcends Non-Canon™ material and merges with the regular story, like Gaara's girlfriend from the final arc of filler hell.

Jarate

Banned
Filler is generally at its best when it's funny or features characters outside the plot. It's hard to do for One Piece because the crew is always together, and filler generally doesn't progress story at all

In the garlic jr fight, sure like nothing of importance happened in general, but at least we get to see gohan progress a bit and become a more reliable fighter. It leads very well into his new self during the Android Arc so you know there's at least some progression

People really seem to like the G8 arc, but did anyone progress as a character or did anything of importance happen in that arc?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
G8 actually informs the viewer of some of the workings that go behind the later switch
Of Marineford and the New World base as Navy HQ.
though it's probably just blind luck.

Jarate

Banned
G8 actually informs the viewer of some of the workings that go behind the later switch
Of Marineford and the New World base as Navy HQ.
though it's probably just blind luck.

I like it how the Straw Hats landing inside the base, being captured, then being able to escape and steal back all their treasure reaffirms just how fucking useless the G8 plaza is. The World Government was right to want to shut down that piece of shit waste of money

Jarate

Banned
Goddamn Zoro just got humbled and respected at the same time.

Dude, that scene was even incredible during the shitty 4kids dub

I actually really liked One Piece when it initially aired, although I didnt really stick along too long with it.

I will defend the Pirate Rap to my grave though

Jarate

Banned
That part is so amazing.

I think the best part about Mihawk is it sets up a baseline for what to expect from the series going forward.
People think that the power creep in one piece was massive, but they've always alluded to dudes being super broken even back then. Hell, Mihawk wasnt even trying and was able to annihilate an incredibly large fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom