• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun15| Thread made with armor plating from a SPACE BATTLESHIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarate

Banned
SUCTION CUP DARTS.

Sunction cup darts are by far the least shitty censor they did in the series.

Y65na8X.jpg

Like I can kind of get darts in a small way, but this shit, like wtf are you supposed to do with this shit. Like what wouldve happened if he pulled the trigger..

Jarate

Banned
why is the suit color changed

Maybe they though western viewers would confuse him later with Sanji so they changed his clothes color

it could also just be video they got was like that.

Fuck if I know. The 4Kids edits went deeper than you would ever imagine. For instance, at one point they scrubbed the letters off of a sign reading "Library."

Why?

Fuck if they know either.

4kids One Piece has the deepest lore

Seda will you give me a tag if I brave through all the episodes of 4kids One Piece to exclaim to the world how awful they are (I know you wont give me a tag, I only ask because it means I wont be forced to watch it)

My favorite 4kids One Piece change was to Smoker er, I mean, Captain Chaser. Yes, Chaser.

You see, Chaser has a Devil Cursed Fruit that lets him turn into smoke, and he was always smoking two huge cigars. 4kids didn't like that, so they just edited them out. Now he is just constantly spewing smoke. Perfect.

T6W_CTCIAMu58xDikCUpgomsm_AaepJXd42N9E2Z_W7rY6OWgv1id_7zZH6Xdetq7OJAuMa3QYruNQS4Sw5M=w506-h380

Also they replaced Sanji's chain-smoking habit with lollipops but everyone probably knows that

Jarate

Banned
My favorite 4kids One Piece change was to Smoker er, I mean, Captain Chaser. Yes, Chaser.

You see, Chaser has a Devil Cursed Fruit that lets him turn into smoke, and he was always smoking two huge cigars. 4kids didn't like that, so they just edited them now. Now he is just constantly spewing smoke. Perfect.

T6W_CTCIAMu58xDikCUpgomsm_AaepJXd42N9E2Z_W7rY6OWgv1id_7zZH6Xdetq7OJAuMa3QYruNQS4Sw5M=w506-h380

Also they replaced Sanji's chain-smoking habit with lollipops but everyone probably knows that

ns4IGrX.gif

TheChits

You see, Chaser has a Devil Cursed Fruit that lets him turn into smoke, and he was always smoking two huge cigars. 4kids didn't like that, so they just edited them now. Now he is just constantly spewing smoke. Perfect.

Jesus christ

Looking back it makes sense. One Piece is a kids show and debuted in the US on Fox, a conservative network, in 2004 before coming to CN, a children's network, in 2005. Neither one was going to expose their targeted audience to a couple of chain smokers unless they wanted a PR nightmare on their hands. Also keep in mind that the US is much more conservative than Japan when it comes to showing sex/violence on television.

So yeah, they sucked and were nonsensical at times, but it wasn't anything unexpected.

Looking back it makes sense. One Piece is a kids show and debuted in the US on Fox, a conservative network, in 2004 before coming to CN, a children's network, in 2005. Neither one was going to expose their targeted audience to a couple of chain smokers unless they wanted a PR nightmare on their hands. Also keep in mind that the US is much more conservative than Japan when it comes to showing sex/violence on television.

So yeah, they sucked and were nonsensical at times, but it wasn't anything unexpected.

Oh yeah I understand why they did it. To a point.

They also cut out the Reverse Island (Laboon) Arc and the Little Garden Arc, which would bring up a huge problem with a later character and cuts out a lot of Usopp's character development.

Jarate

Banned

Meh, this works to a certain extent, but beyond that, One Piece is both a kids show and an adult show. Part of the appeal is that it's very fun and lighthearted but at the same time has really emotional and mature scenes. The localization made sense for Yu Gi Oh, as it was basically a liscenced tie in, but One Piece is very mature for how it looks

I think what's closer to the truth is they saw the art style and decided to base their localization off of that. I don't think much thought went into it beyond that, as they saw the popular 90's muscular manly men look of DBZ and thought they couldnt compete with that.

You see, Chaser has a Devil Cursed Fruit that lets him turn into smoke, and he was always smoking two huge cigars. 4kids didn't like that, so they just edited them out. Now he is just constantly spewing smoke. Perfect.

You know, the Smoker thing isn't a terrible idea. "Constantly spews smoke" feels pretty plausible for a Devil Fruit.

Though they probably should've called him Steamer or something and pretended it was steam.

Meh, this works to a certain extent, but beyond that, One Piece is both a kids show and an adult show. Part of the appeal is that it's very fun and lighthearted but at the same time has really emotional and mature scenes. The localization made sense for Yu Gi Oh, as it was basically a liscenced tie in, but One Piece is very mature for how it looks

I think what's closer to the truth is they saw the art style and decided to base their localization off of that. I don't think much thought went into it beyond that, as they saw the popular 90's muscular manly men look of DBZ and thought they couldnt compete with that.

Actually I think I read that they got One Piece as part of a package deal and kind of were forced to dub it since they had it.

Jarate

Banned
Also One Piece started on FOX, Network Television has always had stricter editing guidelines.

Y65na8X.jpg

HEY NO GUNS ALLOWED ON TV

alright, we could replace what he has with sometype of hammer, but you know what kids really love, hammer spring guns!

Jintor

man now that i think about it i'm really surprised digimon s1 aired on fox kids, given that was one of the few shows I remember EVER talking about stuff like divorce and adoption (even if it was pretty minor)

Digimon S3 also was probably among the most traumatic series I ever watched (when I was a kid) to the point where I need to actually rewatch it at some point to see if it was as traumatic as I remember.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Lol, have you ever watched Fox? It's different from Fox News. For decades it was the "edgy" network.

https://youtu.be/OflpL0_LMGs

man now that i think about it i'm really surprised digimon s1 aired on fox kids, given that was one of the few shows I remember EVER talking about stuff like divorce and adoption (even if it was pretty minor)

Digimon S3 also was probably among the most traumatic series I ever watched (when I was a kid) to the point where I need to actually rewatch it at some point to see if it was as traumatic as I remember.

Only part of season one of Digimon that freaked me out as a kid was Piedmon because fuck clowns. Season 3 still holds up really well. Favorite season by far, although I've barely watched any of Xros Wars.

Also what the hell is it with people giving me shit for not calling Attack on Titan the greatest thing ever?

Are we talking about 4kids edits?

Because every time we do I have to repost this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55iX64NmUDA

I barely got through 10 seconds of this before closing it. This isn't real right?

Jarate

Banned
Only part of season one of Digimon that freaked me out as a kid was Piedmon because fuck clowns. Season 3 still holds up really well. Favorite season by far, although I've barely watched any of Xros Wars.

Also what the hell is it with people giving me shit for not calling Attack on Titan the greatest thing ever?

Average joes like to hype up AOT beyond belief because it doesnt feature titties. They want to like anime, but they are afraid to admit they like it because for some reason people associate it with anime titties and apparently liking breasts is a bad thing that brings shame.

So, in this episode of Blood Blockade Battlefront, I feel like I hear.........

Bryce Papenbrook andd.....Christine Marie?

Not sure.

EDIT: Wayyyy off. Orion Pitts & Tia Ballard.

Fuck if I know. The 4Kids edits went deeper than you would ever imagine. For instance, at one point they scrubbed the letters off of a sign reading "Library."

Why?

Fuck if they know either.

4Kids licensed out a lot of their anime to distributors in non-English-speaking countries too; they removed English text a lot just because they figured it'd make things easier for, say, the people handling the Brazilian dub or whatever. It's still dumb but that was the logic behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom