• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar14| No Time for Sissy Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

TOONAMI – SATURDAY, MARCH 8, 2014

11:30PM Space Dandy 0.9 HH, 1.276 million viewers
12:00AM Bleach 0.9 HH, 1.257 million viewers
12:30AM Naruto: Shippuden 0.8 HH, 1.203 million viewers
1:00AM One Piece 0.8 HH, 1.152 million viewers
1:30AM Blue Exorcist 0.7 HH, 1.072 million viewers
2:00AM Daylight Savings Time 0.6 HH, 996,000 viewers
3:00AM Soul Eater 0.6 HH, 886,000 viewers
3:30AM Naruto 0.6 HH, 929,000 viewers (tvmediainsights.com)
4:00AM Samurai Jack 0.6 HH, 799,000 viewers
4:30AM IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix 0.5 HH, 704,000 viewers
5:00AM Star Wars: Clone Wars 0.6 HH, 761,000 viewers
5:30AM Sym-Bionic Titan 0.5 HH, 636,000 viewers

\o/
A bit late, but hell yeah.

TOONAMI – SATURDAY, MARCH 8, 2014

11:30PM Space Dandy 0.9 HH, 1.276 million viewers
12:00AM Bleach 0.9 HH, 1.257 million viewers
12:30AM Naruto: Shippuden 0.8 HH, 1.203 million viewers
1:00AM One Piece 0.8 HH, 1.152 million viewers
1:30AM Blue Exorcist 0.7 HH, 1.072 million viewers
2:00AM Daylight Savings Time 0.6 HH, 996,000 viewers
3:00AM Soul Eater 0.6 HH, 886,000 viewers
3:30AM Naruto 0.6 HH, 929,000 viewers (tvmediainsights.com)
4:00AM Samurai Jack 0.6 HH, 799,000 viewers
4:30AM IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix 0.5 HH, 704,000 viewers
5:00AM Star Wars: Clone Wars 0.6 HH, 761,000 viewers
5:30AM Sym-Bionic Titan 0.5 HH, 636,000 viewers

\o/
Really happy that One Piece is doing well.

iXCdoNLC8DxNh.gif

This makes my day every time I see it.

Those ratings...HNNNNGH

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
LICH KING DEMARCO ‏@Clarknova1 19m
FB post for Attack on Titan dub release comments re:subs vs dubs are lowering my IQ just reading them.

Yeah, AoT is DEFINITELY coming to Toonami. Demarco wouldn't give a shit and tweet about this otherwise.

LICH KING DEMARCO ‏@Clarknova1 19m
FB post for Attack on Titan dub release comments re:subs vs dubs are lowering my IQ just reading them.

Yeah, AoT is DEFINITELY coming to Toonami. Demarco wouldn't give a shit and tweet about this otherwise.

How the fuck are people bitching about a dub that's not even out yet?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Short answer: Internet.

Long answer: "BUT THIS PERSON SOUNDED LIKE THIS IN ANOTHER ANIME, THEREFORE I DON'T THINK THEY'LL DO WELL IN THIS ANIME"

I've seen people refuse to watch the One Piece dub because Chris Sabat plays Zoro and they only hear Piccolo.

This argument could easily be turned to Japanese voices too. Luffy is the same voice as Krillin and Koenma (YYH), Chopper is Pikachu and Gash Bell, and Franky is Dark Schneider (Bastard!) and Ninjaman (Kakuranger)

bigkrev

Short answer: Internet.

Long answer: "BUT THIS PERSON SOUNDED LIKE THIS IN ANOTHER ANIME, THEREFORE I DON'T THINK THEY'LL DO WELL IN THIS ANIME"

Can... can we just fire these people in the sun or something? Like, use them as test subjects for our new form of capital punishment?

That said, anytime I see or hear JK Simmonds in something, I am screaming for everyone to run away before he tattoos a swastika on their ass

I've seen people refuse to watch the One Piece dub because Chris Sabat plays Zoro and they only hear Piccolo.

This argument could easily be turned to Japanese voices too. Luffy is the same voice as Krillin and Koenma (YYH), Chopper is Pikachu and Gash Bell, and Franky is Dark Schneider (Bastard!) and Ninjaman (Kakuranger)

Funny you mentioned that , in the final trailer for j stars victory vs when luckyman or w/e his name is showed up I was like "oh hi Luffy" at first I thought Luffy was talking about a mute character until they played a clip of luckyman attacking

Yeah the sub vs. dub arguments are just tired now. It REALLY isn't worth getting upset over because dubs today just aren't as bad as they used to be. It is fact.

Sub vs. Dub is the kind of shit you argued about 10 years ago and it actually had SOME creedance. I remember my first time at Otakon in 2003, where they turned on the dub of Slayers. Someone threw a goddamn chair.

Edit: That being said, I can't unhear Krillin every time Usopp talks.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I can't take Inuyasha seriously in Japanese because all I hear is Usopp.

And I can't take him seriously in English because all I hear is a douche.

daveo42

Banned
Speaking of really bad dubs...

I watched the first episode of Queen's Blade. It was actually really shitty all around and I couldn't bring myself to laugh at it because even though they tried to make the show super serious, It seems like there could have been a really good story buried underneath all of the nudity and nudity based powers of the first episode.

I had to scratch my head and figure out who this was really for anyway. Based on that one episode, it couldn't be really classified as hentai, but the fan service was cranked to above 11 with pointless nudity and one breast-based attack used by a gelatinous bunny girl.

To anyone who happened to last more than one episode, I'm not even sure why you wasted your time. I don't think I will.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, not gonna lie, I don't think even during my heydays of watching ecchi anime in high school, I could make it past 1/2 the first season of that show. I think it tried way too hard to have some kind of serious story even if it was the cliche "HEY MAGICAL ITEM THAT'LL GRANT YA ANY WISH SO FIGHT IT OUT!" mixed with all the fanservice. The combination doesn't really work. It reminds me of We Without Wings & how it'd tried to have serious episodes but then right the hell out of nowhere, a fanservice scene that literally has no connection to anything. People who want something serious will get turned off by the ecchi & people who're looking for fanservice will just be bored because the funny moments are rather far & rare (plus a couple of other problems that made me dislike the show, despite watching it for free on Funimation's YT channel). At least with something like...I guess Ikki Tousen, it's a bit more self aware that it shouldn't take itself seriously at all times, despite the fact it's based(???) on the whole "Romance of the 3 Kingdoms" or whatever.

Also, the bunny girl is voiced by the same woman who voices Amy Rose from Sonic The Hedgehog. That still rather surreal to hear a voice from a kid-friendly series in something like that.

This argument could easily be turned to Japanese voices too.....Chopper is Pikachu and Gash Bell.....
I sense a connection with Chopper's JPN voice actor & the characters chosen...though I'm still disappointed in the fact Gash/Zatch Bell never finished. Did they ever release a dub with the unedited content (i.e Falgore's songs)? Though they can keep the edit of Zatch having underwear.

In many cases, comedy shows actually work much better dubbed. This can range anywhere from things like Bobobo or Shin chan, where a good portion of the humor was local to Japan, to things like Desert Punk or Space Dandy.

I will never forget watching Desert Punk subbed first and then rewatching it dubbed and laughing my ass off at the dub. It was just so well done.

Squalor

When people tell me they can't watch something because the voice actor is famous for something else, I just surmise those people are idiots.

bigkrev

When people tell me they can't watch something because the voice actor is famous for something else, I just surmise those people are idiots.

I can't watch anything that JK Simmonds does anymore, because I immediatly start screaming at the characters to get away from him before he tattoos a Swastika on their ass

daveo42

Banned
Having the same voice actors across a lot of different characters can become distracting depending on who that voice actor is. Especially with dubbing, which has a very small pool of talent to begin with, can become tiresome especially if there is anyone who does dub work that has a grating voice or one that seems to be exactly the same from character to character.

Squalor

There is literally no difference between distinguishing an actor in different movies or shows and a voice actor in different movies or shows.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The dub talent pool isn't any smaller than the pool of VAs they use in Japan. It's just easier for English speakers to notice we speak English and mostly don't speak Japanese.

Having the same voice actors across a lot of different characters can become distracting depending on who that voice actor is. Especially with dubbing, which has a very small pool of talent to begin with, can become tiresome especially if there is anyone who does dub work that has a grating voice or one that seems to be exactly the same from character to character.

Todd Haberkorn? Todd Haberkorn.

MikeMyers

What the hell, Toonami?

Bring back Inuyasha.

I like you.

Its not boycott material, but it can be pretty damn distracting at times. Same for subs, when I first heard Kurama having Sailor Uranus VA in the sub, I was like "whaa." Oh, and you also forgot that Yajirobe and Baba from DB are voiced by Luffy's Japanese VA too.

Of course, the appeal of Yamcha in the anime is that he has Tuxedo Mask's voice, and various filler scenes where his power level is multiplied by a million. Same for Videl/Pan and Sailor Saturn. I never knew Kari from Digimon had Chibiusa's voice, but after finding out I can't unhear it.

Yeah the sub vs. dub arguments are just tired now. It REALLY isn't worth getting upset over because dubs today just aren't as bad as they used to be. It is fact.

Sub vs. Dub is the kind of shit you argued about 10 years ago and it actually had SOME creedance. I remember my first time at Otakon in 2003, where they turned on the dub of Slayers. Someone threw a goddamn chair.

Edit: That being said, I can't unhear Krillin every time Usopp talks.

Haha yeah. Someone sent me all of the DB sets for my bday as a surprise, so I made a facebook status tagging him and saying thanks. Then I get some random dude who I've barely ever interacted commenting on it talking about how the Japanese version sucks sand English dub is better. I was thinking "really dude? That's all you are gonna say?" and just replied saying 'okay'.

I can't take Inuyasha seriously in Japanese because all I hear is Usopp.

And I can't take him seriously in English because all I hear is a douche.

Well he kind of is a douche. But its still funny that in both the dub and sub, he has a mutual voice actor with Ranma.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
But the Dub is better on DB...at least Goku's voice fits in this version.

EDIT: BREAKING NEWS:

One Piece: Unlimited World Red is heading west and is being ported to Wii U, PS3, and Vita.

Bandai Namco has confirmed One Piece: Unlimited World Red for overseas territories, but today’s announcement comes with some surprising news.

In Japan, One Piece: Unlimited World Red was a 3DS-exclusive title. However, the European and Australian release will also be made available on Wii U, PlayStation 3, and PS Vita.

Here’s the game’s official overview:

West...to Europe.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wait, 3DS game being ported to Wii U, PS3, & Vita? That's a rather weird choice of system, especially for a JPN-exclusive game.

So I heard Red was muuuucccchhhh better, as I've seen rather "bleh" reviews for the first game.

Tenumi

Banned

I absolutely cannot watch any of Dragonball, DBZ, or DBGT in Japanese. Part of it is familiarity with the english dub, and the other part is that I cannot stand Goku in Japanese.

daveo42

Banned

One Piece: Unlimited World Red is heading west and is being ported to Wii U, PS3, and Vita.

West...to Europe.

I didn't have any issues with Goku's Japanese voice.

Also, that is fantastic news. I am now hopeful we'll get news on a NA release for the game.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They are different series.

Romance Dawn was the first (and kinda shitty) in a line of JRPG one piece games.

Unlimited World Red is the fourth in a series of games that started on the Wii and are action adventure games sort of like 3D Zelda but without giant dungeons. The games include Unlimited Adventure and Unlimited Cruise 1 and 2. UA came out in America and was the first and only game with the Funi dub cast. UC 1 and 2 came out in Europe sub only. UC 1 and 2 also had a port to 3DS in Japan and Europe only.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh, I was thinking of Romance Dawn. Forgot about the Wii games.

Assuming the game only spoilers "hey, these characters appear/will be part of the crew", does it spoil much in terms of story arcs, or is it a separate story?

Also holy crap, Namco Bandai trademarked the URL for the game months ago with "Awakened Legends Vs", does this mean J-Stars Victory Vs. might have a chance & we can form Team Toonami?!

daveo42

Banned
Goku remained child-like for the majority of the show. The Japanese voice matches that child-like quality, even if it can be a bit rough on the ears during some of the power ups and screams.

I think it fits well with the character. But as Mike said, to each his own.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
To each his own. Although I don't see how it doesn't "fit" the character when Toriyama hand picked the voice for the character.

What I'm saying in a confusing way is that Goku's Japanese voice is fine in DB, it doesn't suffer the problem DBZ has. Even still, I prefer DB's dub.

Kid Goku in Japanese=good voice
Adult Goku in Japanese=Wrong voice

That's all. Should have kept the same VA for Gohan and Goten though like they did.

Moaradin

Goku remained child-like for the majority of the show. The Japanese voice matches that child-like quality, even if it can be a bit rough on the ears during some of the power ups and screams.

I think it fits well with the character. But as Mike said, to each his own.

Goku was child-like with the English voice too. Doesn't mean he should sound like an old lady.

MikeMyers

See I don't think he sounds like an old lady at all, at least compared to all the Japanese old ladies I've heard.

The voice gets much deeper when Goku ages. Compare Kid Gohan to Adult Goku in the Time Chamber for example.

EDIT - I just dont think the old DB dubs have aged at all. Funi did a much better job at dubbing Kai than they did with any of the original series.

West...to Europe.

Yes! Don't care if its europe only I'll import on my ps3 woo!

daveo42

Banned
Goku was child-like with the English voice too. Doesn't mean he should sound like an old lady.

I never thought he sounded like an old lady. He sounded like a kid for most of the series to me.

Toriyama wanted to maintain that child-like nature throughout, so he chose someone who could portray that sound in voice as well so the whole persona matched. He didn't need someone who could sound like a child to get across that Goku really acts and thought like a child for the majority of his life, but it was the last piece to create in Goku.

I usually take surveys for extra money, right now I am taking one that looks like it's for Adult Swim. They are asking if I've seen Space Dandy, Shippuden, Bleach and more in the past month.

Author intent does not necessarily make something fit or well executed or not feel weird and wrong. (Also I can't really respect Author Intent from a dude who has out and out forgotten their own characters and dropped plot elements because he was tired of drawing things :p)

BatDan

I just learned that Veronica Taylor (original Ash Ketchum) is going to be at C2E2 this year. I'm going to ask her about her brief time as Nico Robin on the 4Kids One Piece dub, and hopefully get some more insight on what happened.

I didn't even realize they *do* anything during the toonami time slot to even care and toonami certainly isnt expanding to other nights anytime soon.

BatDan

It looks like the survey I was doing was for Comedy Central. They are scared of Toonami.

Really? That's bizarre.

I can understand FOX being scared since barely anyone watches Animation Domination HD (and for good reason, it's not very good) but Comedy Central?

I didn't even realize they *do* anything during the toonami time slot to even care and toonami certainly isnt expanding to other nights anytime soon.

I checked my cable guide and Comedy Central is just airing movies. Jackass 3D and American Pie 2 this Saturday. Unless they're planning to have a special block there...

daveo42

Banned
Well, Cable and Broadcast networks are afraid of Cartoon Network specifically for the numbers they pull during their Adult Swim and Toonami blocks. Adult Swim pulls in the highest numbers and in the most important age group (18-34) during its time block. Most cable networks are lucky to pull in over a million viewers at almost any time in the day, and CN can do it late at night after primetime has passed.

Well I wouldn't say just Toonami. There was 4-5 Toonami shows on the list and the rest were Adult Swim. All the clips they showed me were from Comedy Central though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom