• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT| Want to hang out and waste your night with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So is this show starting new or continuing? I do remember seeing one of these shows before though.

Continuing, apparently. Which isn't a big deal as GitS is "stand-alone" episode tonight and Cowboy Bebop is Cowboy Bebop, can be started most anywhere with the last two episodes being exceptions.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I have no idea what Ghost in the Shell is

Or stand alone complex

or second gig

watching anyway!

EDIT: I have heard GitS mentioned many many times, I have just never bother to ever look into it more.

Stand Alone Complex/2nd GIG is great.

Tonight's episode is a little more than halfway through 2nd GIG, but it's kind or a one-off episode.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Can somebody briefly outline the Ghost in the Shell serie(s)?

Is it something like Ghost in the Shell was the original series, and Stand Alone Complex is a follow up series?

Manga turned anime. Really, you need to go through it all.

Branduil

GiTS has never been good in any incarnation.

i6SqVtYkHICjJ.gif

Seda

Manga turned anime. Really, you need to go through it all.

But is it all just one anime?

The Stand Alone Complex subtitle(?) makes it seem like a second Ghost in the Shell anime series or something. And what does second GIG mean?

Pretend I'm stupid.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Origa is so good.

I've seen all I've wanted to see tonight. Doesn't look like we'll be getting much more in the way of Tom stuff. Think I'm gonna spend the next hour watching Sgt. Frog on Netflix. Enjoy the rest of the block, guys!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

The Stand Alone Complex subtitle(?) makes it seem like a second Ghost in the Shell anime series or something. And what does second GIG mean?

Pretend I'm stupid.

Ghost in the Shell: Movie
Stand Alone Complex: Anime (first season)
Second Gig: Anime (second season)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Pretend I'm stupid.

Stand Alone Complex is the only TV series in the franchise. There are basically three different GITS continuities. The original manga, the movies, the TV series.

2nd GIG is the second season of Stand Alone Complex.

The Stand Alone Complex subtitle(?) makes it seem like a second Ghost in the Shell series or something. And what does second GIG mean?
Stand alone complex is the name of the series. The gigs refers to the seasons. 2nd gig being the second season.

And I love both the movies and the series. There are some similarities but while the movies focus on the philosophy of the self and identity, the series focuses on the sociological aspects of cyberization and a connected world

Jintor

You have to think about GiTS as a police procedural with a techno-bent that is also simultaneously stuffed up its own arse.

That doesn't make it bad, as such, but you always have to reframe it in that context.

Love the sociological stuff.

Seda

Ghost in the Shell: Movie
Stand Alone Complex: Anime (first season)
Second Gig: Anime (second season)

Stand Alone Complex is the only TV series in the franchise. There are basically three different GITS continuities. The original manga, the movies, the TV series.

Stand alone complex is the name of the series. The gigs refers to the seasons. 2nd gig being the second season.

And I love both the movies and the series. There are some similarities but while the movies focus on the philosophy of the self and identity, the series focuses on the sociological aspects of cyberization and a connected world

Thanks! This is exactly what I wanted to know. Is it pretty much a continuous plot-line throughout? (Movie-->Season1-->Season2)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
A who? What does a book have to do with anything we are talking about?

He probably looks down on people who enjoy the philosophy pontificating in GitS because he's read some hauty tauty book on the subject and likes to lord it over such plebes.

Thanks! This is exactly what I wanted to know. Is it pretty much a continuous plot-line throughout?

Same characters, but each incarnation has a different overarching plot.

The movie dealt with the Puppetmaster, S.A.C. dealt with the Laughing Man, and 2nd Gig deals with the Individual Eleven.

Risette

A Good Citizen
He probably looks down on people who enjoy the philosophy pontificating in GitS because he's read some hauty tauty book on the subject and likes to lord it over such plebes.
It's not pontificating though, it's simply questioning.

Plus Oshii's movies are visually masterful too, so yeah. Say no to books.

Jacob

Pretend I'm stupid.

Ghost in the Shell was originally a manga.

Back in the '90s it was adapted into an anime film also called Ghost in the Shell. Years later there was a sequel called Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence.

In the early 2000s there was a separate adaptation into an anime TV series called Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (SAC). It had a sequel series/second season known as Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd GIG and a sequel movie called Solid State Society. The SAC continuity is separate from that of the original movies.

I haven't actually seen any of SAC (though I've seen the original film, obviously) so I'm going to hold off on watching any of this till I catch up.

AGE has gotten waaayy too much of a bad rap. I actually find that it's told its story and characterized its characters better than 00 (which I do like better, make no mistake.)

Raise your hand if you've watch more than five eps of either.
Don't be mad that you're the lone member of the world's AGE defense force. :p

Ultratech

Also worth noting that SAC has two different types of episodes:
-Stand Alone: Stand-Alone Episode that generally doesn't have anything to do with the ongoing story (i.e. Complex Episodes).
-Complex: Consists of an ongoing arc that spans the entire season. These basically move the plot forward for that season.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks! This is exactly what I wanted to know. Is it pretty much a continuous plot-line throughout? (Movie-->Season1-->Season2)

Yes, though some episodes are more stand alone than others.

In the first season there are "stand alone" episodes that are 100% self-contained and "complex" episodes that are a part of the main plot.

2nd GIG gets a little more complicated, where most episodes at least have SOME referencing to the main plot in some ways, though some are more stand alone than others.

This episode, for example, has Motoko in Taiwan following the trail of a particular person of interest that the entire main plot revolves around. Once she's there, though, she gets into, well, all these antics that you're watching, which have little to do with the main story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom