• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT3| Sleep is for the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amikami

Banned
Also interested in the ratings.

I guess I give One Piece another try. Never could get into it or the manga. Maybe Toonami and gaf can help.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It should be said no one repped anime harder than [adult swim] back in the day presentation-wise with the exception of daytime TOONAMI.

I think the only one who would disagree would be... Shard? I wanna say it was Shard that said they deliberately sabotaged anime in America... for some reason.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
You really want to open this can of worms again? My beef isn't that they sabotaged anime or never repped it back in the boom times. My problems stem from AS execs acting all pompous and incredulous about the notion that they hate anime and anime fans. "Can you believe they think we hate anime? How ridiculous and foolish a thought." I have problems with this attitude since they spent good deal of time trolling the fanbase and basically had a rather contentious relationship pre-Toonami. Also the fact that they let Adult Swim Action got to rotgut for the most part. Sure, they cared enough to air the hits, air Bleach and a few other shows, but the block was rather backed with apathy and might have dissolved entirely had Toonami not came along. It is one of the reason why I am glad we have exchanged that noise for the genuine care and affection that AS Toonami has for the fanbase. Not to mention that they are doing real repping for anime, repping we have not had since the end of the Golden Age.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I just picture DeMarco sitting in his AS doom fortress rubbing his hands while laughing maniacally.

"Mwhahaha, my convoluted 10 year plan to kill anime in America is finally complete!"

Anime on AS dissolved because the ratings weren't there. When even Death Note and Durarara fair mediocre, I can see it being very easy for the network bigwigs to start turning other things down. I'm amazed we got the kinda-bleh Kekkaishi to be honest, although they were probably hoping it would be a new InuYasha.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I just picture DeMarco sitting in his AS doom fortress rubbing his hands while laughing maniacally.

"Mwhahaha, my convoluted 10 year plan to kill anime in America is finally complete!"

It must be since the would involved other networks that have nothing to do with Adult Swim.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Also, DeMarco is kind of an ass. I don't disagree with that. Even some of the Tumblr responses are kinda assy but I let it slide. To be in that position you gotta deal with a lot of stupid, their Haters speech kinda summed the whole thing up. That was pretty much DeMarco the whole way through.

I am just skeptical that Demarco had anything to do with the demise of Anime Unleashed for example.

Anime Unleashed was a bit player anyways.

You're also missing the point. It was a joke. It was supposed to not make sense.

Jintor

So someone noticed that Sasuke's stupid dumb arm warmer things weren't a fashion statement but probably to protect his arms from fire (warning loud auto-playing music for some stupid fucking reason). This has lead to a revolution in his image.

BEFORE

tumblr_inline_mjvtxw72sX1qz4rgp.png

AFTER

tumblr_inline_mjvu12ZKiN1qz4rgp.png

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Jintor

because instead of some crazy emo fashion icon he's actually a huge safety-conscious nerd

I am obviously being facetious because they are also stupid ninjas and from memory last episode he had like two dozen needles straight through his flesh in various places

huge nerd sasuke though is very entertaining to me

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think it's more he wears them because Kishi thought they looked cool, then someone smacked some sense into him because he doesn't wear them later on in Part 1 and none of the time in Part 2, lol. :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Next week's FMA:B episode is a memorable one, to say the least.

This was the ep I used to try to convince two people to pick up FMA B when it was still coming out (they had been huge fans of the original anime.)

The other scene I used for this is the one where
Ed finds Al beyond the Gate, and then punches his way back through to say parting words. Very Gurren Lagann-ish moment really.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...hland-lizard-lick-towing-nba-basketball-more/

All new episodes that premiered during the action-adventure Toonami block – including Naruto and Bleach – ranked #1 in their respective time periods among adults 18-24 and men 18-24 & 18-34, seeing mostly double-digit increases across key adults and men vs. the same time period year ago.

The movie premiere of Evangeleon 1:11 increased by double and triple-digits across adults 18-34, 18-24 & 18-49 vs. the same time period year ago.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Come on Batman: Under the Red Hood
Or Superman vs. The Elite
Or Public Enemies

Hell, any DC movie works.

Not really. Most are mediocre. In fact I'd say only Red Hood and TDKR are great.

Hope this means Eva 2.22 is in the cards, don't wanna wait too long for it.

The new episode premiere of Loiter Squad (Sunday, 12 a.m.) ranked #1 in its time period among adults 18-24 & 18-34 and men 18-24 & 18-34, growing by double and triple-digits across the board vs. the same time period last year.
mofos love Loiter Squad.

Drago

One Piece brand manager Josh Kocurek has said they're shooting for mid to late April, they don't know what timeslot they're getting.

Toonami still doesn't know where they want to start, kicking around ideas of Skypiea or CP9. the guy also mentions Alabasta, says he'd recommend Skypiea personally.

ifePFPi3G471v.gif

(I assume they mean Water 7)

Wouldn't be surprised if One Piece and TOM 5 launched together.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
specifically he said "season 4", so...maybe? i don't know anything about this lol

Season 4 starts with Davy Back Fight, which is a pretty bad place to start. It's part-canon and part-filler, then it goes into filler before finally going into Aokiji and Water 7.

Drago

It also seems that starting from the beginning is completely out of the question based on what you said. Did they mention starting from 1 in the podcast at all?

It doesn't bother me but I can see that hurting them in the future. There are recap episodes in CP9, but still...

i'm pretty sure the exact words were something like "some of the season 4 stuff". the podcast has timestamps and pretty much goes right into Toonami when they interview the guy if you want to double check.

i did not listen to the whole thing, but unless they circled back to Toonami i don't believe they mentioned starting from episode 1. i would hope that's kind of an unspoken option, though from the sound of things it seems like they are indeed planning on starting later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom