• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT3| Sleep is for the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.K.

The animation in that episode is literally from last century. And was a low budget last century show at that.

I'm not complaining about the animation. I HATE One Piece's character designs. They're the ugliest characters I've ever seen. The art is horrible.

TrounceX

I'm not complaining about the animation. I HATE One Piece's character designs. They're the ugliest characters I've ever seen. The art is horrible.

I thought so too for the longest time.

Somewhere around Water 7 the entire show just clicked for me. I have no idea how I made it that far either because up until the then the show was mediocre at best.

Have you seen any of the more modern One Piece episodes?

Mature

As a complete observer to the One Piece mythos (I've seen Episodes of Nami and that's it) I really like the character design. It's super flavorful and unique.

Sonicbug

That's how everyone feels at first. Then you become used to it... then you start to like it. The next thing you know you're buying artbooks and chopper plushies, and $80 figurines.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That's how everyone feels at first. Then you become used to it... then you start to like it. The next thing you know you're buying artbooks and chopper plushies, and $80 figurines.

I wish someone would bring over the Portrait of Pirates figures for Western audiences, that way we don't have to pay obscene prices for them.

BatDan

I never had a problem with the art style of One Piece, never got that complaint

Constructive criticism-wise: Some see it as too deformed, and the early manga chapters were a bit too rough. It got a lot better though, and the art is great now.

Dumb weeaboo-wise: IT'S NOT ANIMU ENOUGH! IT NOT LOOK LIKE NARUTO! THERE'S NO PRETTY BOYZ!

Well, also the creepy smiles can be rather unnerving.
creepy?

04847049ca6bfea10256eec0c7388f0c1262284055_full.jpg

WHATEVER DO YOU MEAN??

BatDan

Well Luffy is crazy, so yeah agreed.

*shifty eyes* I have no idea what you're talking about.

"We're in the base of the man behind Baroque Works? Scream his name!"
"The government has taken one of our crew? Invade the courthouse and take her back!"
"Nobles that are so well protected that attacking one would send an admiral after me? PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE!"
"Powerful emperor plans to destroy an island? Call her out!"
"Man claims to be so well protected that hurting him would send a different emperor after me? BRING IT ON!"

I just did a pencil test with Luffy's smile.

His individual teeth are roughly half the size of one of his eyes.

JESUS...
*shifty eyes* I have no idea what you're talking about.

"We're in the base of the man behind Baroque Works? Scream his name!"
"The government has taken one of our crew? Invade the courthouse and take her back!"
"Nobles that are so well protected that attacking one would send an admiral after me? PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE!"
"Powerful emperor plans to destroy an island? Call her out!"
"Man claims to be so well protected that hurting him would send a different emperor after me? BRING IT ON!"
As long as we talking about that this is obligatory.

I understand that the show is at almost 600 episodes and climbing, but how in the hell would they think it's a good idea to not start at the beginning? For people who have never seen the series, it would most likely be utterly confusing for them.

That being said, I am in agreement with a previous poster that they need to bring back something similar to the Midnight Run for things like Bleach/Naruto/One Piece. Air them on weeknights. I know their Fox acquisitions bring in a high amount of viewership, but they repeat them twice a night. You would think that things like One Piece could be okay to run instead a second showing of KotH, American Dad and Family Guy. If those are non-starters, how about pushing everything back and just not running things like The Mighty Boosh? The show ended in 2007 and could do with a break.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...my-wives-more/173794/comment-page-5/#comments

ratings for Bleach, Naruto, and Evangelion are there. 18-49 demo ratings in parantheses

Bleach- 1.197 (54%, 646k)
Naruto- 1.196 (57%, 682k)
Evangelion- 0.959 (50%, 480k)

keep in mind the calculations i use may or may not be outdated (as of September 2nd, 2012, they should be good.) don't be too freaked out by the percentages, either. 40-60 seems about normal from what i can tell

for shits and giggles:

Green Lantern: The Animated Series- 1.818 (40%, 727k)
Young Justice: Invasion- 2.051 (42%, 861k)

Jintor

They're getting annoyed at people believing shit without actual reference to reality (or, at least, data points that likely reflect reality)

BatDan

D6SII8f.png

I think they are getting a bit annoyed at all the questions about running longer shows.

I don't blame them. Every time I check the Tumblr there's someone bitching about "long shows" or "not having variety".
It's stuff like this that leads to people shutting down pages or forbidding anymore questions. You know, why we can't have nice things.
Yes, Toonami is on Adult Swim and thus for an older audience. Yes, they're allowing a chance to ask the staff about the block. This does not give you the right to be a total dick and complain because you can't take your nostalgia goggles off.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Somebody touched a nerve, yet I can understand where Anon is coming from having to slog though dull episode after dull episode of Bleach.

Jintor

Somebody touched a nerve, yet I can understand where Anon is coming from having to slog though dull episode after dull episode of Bleach.

People don't have to watch anything. And as they pointed out, Bleach and Naruto are huge ratings hits even if they're shit-tier quality.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
People don't have to watch anything. And as they pointed out, Bleach and Naruto are huge ratings hits even if they're shit-tier quality.

I dunno about that, a sense of obligation is the only thing that really keeps me watching GXP for example. Also, the "if you don't like it, then don't watch" defense never did work with me. As it stands though Toonami is correct in its assertions and Bleach and Naruto are needed for the greater good.

Jintor

It's okay to not watch terrible things. I basically skip half of toonami anyway and always have

I don't even care enough about GXP to hatewatch it

Good stuff. Naruto & Bleach basically tied w/viewers (if I'm reading those numbers right), and we nearly get a mil for Evangelion.

unless i'm misunderstanding how the ratings work, i think it's very possible it started out at around a million and stayed there for a while, but the movie did end at like 3:30 so i'd imagine quite a few people dropped out during its run.

Shard said:
I dunno about that, a sense of obligation is the only thing that really keeps me watching GXP for example. Also, the "if you don't like it, then don't watch" defense never did work with me. As it stands though Toonami is correct in its assertions and Bleach and Naruto are needed for the greater good.

i doubt the average Toonami viewer feels any sense of "obligation" to the block; chances are if people don't like the show then most of them aren't going to watch it.

Astral

Does this mean you would have preferred what Bleach used to look like?
tumblr_mfij7ghfT41qjw0l3o5_r1_400.jpg

I miss this so much. Now Ichigo's just some generic pretty boy. Even his personality changed. As for One Piece, the only thing I didn't like about it at first was the way Luffy looked. He was ridiculously tall and lanky. It looks so odd compared to how he looks now.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...my-wives-more/173794/comment-page-5/#comments

ratings for Bleach, Naruto, and Evangelion are there. 18-49 demo ratings in parantheses

Bleach- 1.197 (54%, 646k)
Naruto- 1.196 (57%, 682k)
Evangelion- 0.959 (50%, 480k)

keep in mind the calculations i use may or may not be outdated (as of September 2nd, 2012, they should be good.) don't be too freaked out by the percentages, either. 40-60 seems about normal from what i can tell

for shits and giggles:

Green Lantern: The Animated Series- 1.818 (40%, 727k)
Young Justice: Invasion- 2.051 (42%, 861k)
... how in the whoflack did Eva get only 480k? For all intensive purposes it's its first airing on a widely available channel. That's poor, I'm pretty sure most of the other InuYasha movies did better.

EDIT: or is that a calculation and not official?

... how in the whoflack did Eva get only 480k? For all intensive purposes it's its first airing on a widely available channel. That's poor, I'm pretty sure most of the other InuYasha movies did better.

EDIT: or is that a calculation and not official?

well, the 480k is a calculation of the viewers aged 18-49, which is the one advertisers tend to pay attention to on a network that isn't geared at children (AS is considered a separate network from CN).

the total number of viewers was the one outside the parantheses, 959,000 viewers.

well, the 480k is a calculation of the viewers aged 18-49, which is the one advertisers tend to pay attention to on a network that isn't geared at children (AS is considered a separate network from CN).

the total number of viewers was the one outside the parantheses, 959,000 viewers.

That's more impressive - it's a shame that the former calculation will carry more weight than the latter.

That's more impressive - it's a shame that the former calculation will carry more weight than the latter.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...izard-lick-towing-nba-basketball-more/173997/

for what it's worth, Bleach and Naruto were number one among adults 18-24 as well as men 18-24 and 18-34. it says they saw "mostly double-digit increases across key adults and men vs. the same time period year ago."

EVA really wasn't too far behind in ratings, and although it didn't rank number one it still "increased by double and triple-digits across adults 18-34, 18-24 & 18-49 vs. the same time period year ago."

no i meant did you guess that or is that a legit number. Some people in lieu of actual number make a guess based off previous data.

I'm comparing it to past movies though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom