• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT3| Sleep is for the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwarrior

http://onepiecepodcast.com/2013/03/18/episode-260-pardon-our-guests/

One Piece brand manager Josh Kocurek has said they're shooting for mid to late April, they don't know what timeslot they're getting.

Toonami still doesn't know where they want to start, kicking around ideas of Skypiea or CP9. the guy also mentions Alabasta, says he'd recommend Skypiea personally.

That's like a terrible idea,if your going to air one piece then start from the start otherwise your going to confuse a lot of new viewers, One piece isn't dragon ball z, a lot story & plot threads carry over into the next arcs.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's like a terrible idea,if your going to air one piece then start from the start otherwise your going to confuse a lot of new viewers, One piece isn't dragon ball z, a lot story & plot threads carry over into the next arcs.

The problem is that it's very long and will take months until it reaches the point where everyone agrees that it gets good (Arlong Park). Either they find a way to give it an hour a night, or they start from somewhere near the middle.

Tamanon

Banned
Honestly, no matter how they handle it, One Piece will probably turn out to be a failure for Toonami. The early episodes are pretty boring, and the later ones aren't that much better.

Preble

I wish they could do something like a Toonami Lite, having Bleach and One Piece play at 1AM, Monday thur Thursday. Ratings aren't good enough though.

Honestly, no matter how they handle it, One Piece will probably turn out to be a failure for Toonami. The early episodes are pretty boring, and the later ones aren't that much better.

if quality determines ratings, please tell me why Bleach, Naruto, and Thundercats are among the top-rated shows.

Cwarrior

The problem is that it's very long and will take months until it reaches the point where everyone agrees that it gets good (Arlong Park). Either they find a way to give it an hour a night, or they start from somewhere near the middle.

It may start off like about as serious as an episode of spongebob but it no way does that mean that's a bad thing,in fact it's starts of decent gets good very early on, then keeps getting better as it goes on.

Take a minute and just look at the type stuff that airs on Toonami, the highest rated show is bleach (even when it's on filler) and if human beings are able watch stuff like tenchi,eruka seven then am sure there going to be perfectly fine watching the early character arcs of one piece which is of higher quality.

Cwarrior

What has failed for toonami reboot so far? define failure?what would you or toonami define as a failure?

i'd say the real news here is that One Piece is shooting for April, where the only ending show is Thundercats. and Thundercats is rerunning. what's getting the boot? are we finally halving Bebop? are we expanding by some miracle? will Titan be unceremoniously removed early in its second run? does this definitely mean we're getting One Piece, and then a new show to replace GXP the month after?

Cwarrior said:
What has failed for toonami reboot so far? define failure?what would you or toonami define as a failure?

probably GXP.

They should just start One Piece at the beginning and play it for an hour after Soul Eater. It's been so long since I've seen those episodes that I wouldn't mind seeing them again.

Make Bebop and inuyasha one episode and it all works well.

edit: Also showing it from the start would be the perfect way to show this isn't the 4kids version of One Piece.

Raxus

probably GXP.

You have to try really really really REALLY really really really really really REALLY really really really really hard to reach GXP fail levels.

I really don't know why people get so down on One Piece arcs since the it has a strong streak of arcs early on. It starts slow but 2 episodes will get us to the good stuff extremely fast once we have the core 5.

I said it once and I will say it again. You must start One Piece at episode one. Not only for continuity but because 4kids botched things so badly you have to remind fans wtf is going on.

tbh i thought the first 30 or so episodes were completely fine. i'm not sure what everyone's so down on them about. maybe they're bad compared to where the series goes later, but i really don't think they'd turn people off.

Seda

One Piece is another show (surprise) I never watched. The only episode I saw, and I assume it is an early one, and I assume I saw the 4Kids version, was where they recruit the guy with the long nose. I found it to be really dumb and that's why I never pursued the series. (I'm not making a statement on the show's quality btw, just stating my experience)

I wouldn' t mind if they started at episode 1.

They don't need to show One Piece from the beginning, guys. All they need to do so that people are completely caught up with the show is use the 4Kids opening. Why is that one kid made of rubber? Yohoho, he took a bite of Gum Gum.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Well, it does have a history of failing on Toonami. :p

No it doesn't. One Piece always did fine on Toonami, and its ratings went SIGNIFICANTLY UP after Funimation took over (this is why they even got approval to bring it back in the first place). One Piece was eventually removed because CN was in the process of shedding everything anime that it possibly could from the network, ultimately leaving only Naruto (and Bakugan).

Toonami itself only lasted a few more months after One Piece was taken off.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This week on the penultimate episode of Rock Lee and His Ninja Pals, Guy-Sensei turns himself into a baby by taking too many "youth pills" and it's up to Lee to attain adulthood by looking after him... maybe. In the second part of the episode, Lee misreads Lady Tsunade's hunger as loneliness and sets her up on a marriage interview with none other than the Raikage himself.

Y3fYg8M.jpg

bgOap7V.png

88a7fEt.png

888nfgV.png

4FRc9JN.png

rOWcwdk.png

L6UclxF.jpg

QoDLfzo.png

amD6RaN.jpg

PdL6f1i.png

2RIdRBl.jpg

OaoD9cg.png

iqsOieUBPO1rt.gif

So sad to see this show go. :(

Raxus

One Piece is another show (surprise) I never watched. The only episode I saw, and I assume it is an early one, and I assume I saw the 4Kids version, was where they recruit the guy with the long nose. I found it to be really dumb and that's why I never pursued the series. (I'm not making a statement on the show's quality btw, just stating my experience)

I wouldn' t mind if they started at episode 1.

Ahhhh there is are problems right there.

1. Long nose's name is Usopp and is one of the core 5. In the 4kids dub he sounds like (as someone brilliantly put it on GAF) a clown going through puberty. To make matters worse 4kids dubs never know when to shut the fuck up which leads to...
2. Usopp's character was GUTTED by 4kids. The thing about the straw hats is all the characters have different personalities to bounce off each other. Sadly all this was dumbed down and Usopp was slotted the ill fated 'comedic relief' role. Usopp may still be 'silly' but he has tons of depth especially later in the series. All this was lost in the 4kids dub.

I will address this in GREAT detail when the series airs because I really want to tear the 4kids dub a new one since it destroyed a great anime's chance of rekindling anime in the US and left us in the doldrums of Bleach for ages.
So sad to see this show go. :(
Sadly it couldn't last forever especially considering some recent developments in the manga :(
We should probably keep discussion of anime not on the Toonami block to the Anime Community.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
wasn't there a Tumblr post that said One Piece was removed due to ratings?

I believe I remember what you're talking about, and I believe it was that even though they went up, they didn't go up far enough fast enough. One Piece always did fine, but 4Kids' version did lose viewership near the end.

Remember One Piece wasn't like some short term experiment on Toonami. It ran on the block for nearly 3 years.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sadly it couldn't last forever especially considering some recent developments in the manga :(
We should probably keep discussion of anime not on the Toonami block to the Anime Community.

The manga still has lots of content apparently. :(

And I don't fit in with those jerks. :( :( :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The 4kids Pokemon openings also crap on most of the official PUSA ones, and I liked Yugioh's and 5D's quite a bite. But you have to be in the mood for cheesy rock (which I usually am.)

Edit- Beaten. But, for the record:

Great 4kids Pokemon themes: Original, Born to Be a Winner, Believe in Me, I Wanna Be a Hero, This Dream, Unbeatable

Great PUSA Pokemon themes: Battle Frontier, We Will Be Heroes (maybe), Battle Cry (Stand Up)

Ultratech

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Definitely bro.

That soundtrack was mostly solid gold. Only song I didn't like as a kid was the friendship one.

Full version of Exodia and Millennium Battle were
F47c776.gif
AMAZEBALLS
F47c776.gif
. And still hold up IMO. Brought a legit tear to my eye when they used Exodia's theme for like 20 seconds in the last season.

EWmof.gif
Pseudo classy faux (real?) orchestras mixed with techno jank
p0QHO.gif

Hiltz

Personaly, I think they should just stick to adding shows that aren't 150+ episodes long especially if their put on hiatus like Bleach will inevitably be again.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Personaly, I think they should just stick to adding shows that aren't 150+ episodes long especially if their put on hiatus like Bleach will inevitably be again.

Lol, One Piece won't be on hiatus for years (if ever) unless someone screws something up really, really bad.

Seda

They have mentioned that they acknowledge this, and I would assume they are considering a shorter show for the GXP replacement. Soul Eater isn't super long, although it will still still a year+ to get through..

They did show Deadman, Casshern, Samurai 7, Symbionic Titan and Thundercats, all shorter shows (the latter 2 rerunning though).

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Funimation has at least 275 episodes in the can, and 336 licensed for dubbing. It's never going to be on hiatus.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Funimation has at least 275 episodes in the can, and 336 licensed for dubbing. It's never going to be on hiatus.

It would take more than five years to get through what they've already dubbed at one per week. :O

It would still take over two and a half years to get through it at two per week. :O

Hiltz

Understood.

I tried to get into One Piece on different occassions but got bored before the 20th episode. I'd probably like to see a bunch of different shows take its place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom