• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT3| Sleep is for the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Merchandising! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNZove4OTtI

Seriously. One Piece merch makes a fucking mint for Toei. Naruto merch is just as big.
It's why there's always a new Super Sentai every year and Pokemon is nearing 800 episodes.
It's why Young Justice was cancelled (that and Cartoon Network being mismanaging idiots).

Pokemon is different though in that there's a very, very loose connection to any actual canonical story. It's more of there being a canonical mythos than an actual canonical world or plot. You can't compare pokemon to an actual adaptation like naurto or one piece.

Anhyways, based on the frequency of character appearances in the naruto filler, it seems to me that hinata and neji are by far the most popular side characters. Or at least, they were at this point of the manga/anime.

Kiba and Rock Lee appear quite a bit, too, but there's hardly any appearances of the Ino-Shika-Cho trio or Shino. Which surprises me, since Shikamaru is probably my favorite of the others.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This doesn't help. It means there's more to cut out without the luxury of being able to shorten the ending.

That said, I'll need to go back and check the episodes in the early 200s. It might be possible to keep the full OP by just shortening the ending. They'll definitely need to start cutting once they get deep into Enies Lobby, though.

It's more than a year and a half past where we're starting. :D

Yep, pretty soon.

We don't know why the treasure is called "One Piece". It was 4Kids attempting to make it a pun.
Funimation's translation is actually correct.
Viz went with "My treasure? Why, it's right where I left it. It's yours if you can find it. But you'll have to search the whole world!"

Also, we're not getting the fucking 4Kids rap.

i kinda like the pun :p

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/47954562335/thats-it-for-todays-q-a-guys-thanks-to-everyone

tumblr_m616dk4Cn31rocw60o1_500.jpg

Hell yeah.

MikeMyers

Anhyways, based on the frequency of character appearances in the naruto filler, it seems to me that hinata and neji are by far the most popular side characters. Or at least, they were at this point of the manga/anime.

Kiba and Rock Lee appear quite a bit, too, but there's hardly any appearances of the Ino-Shika-Cho trio or Shino. Which surprises me, since Shikamaru is probably my favorite of the others.

Kiba, Rock Lee, and Hinata are among my favourites. Maybe I should start watching fillers.

Seda

I was quickly putting together some new images for the thread going up after Toonami this week. Just to change things up a little.

Man people have some weird stuff out there on the internet.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The worst DBZ gets with filler is the early saiyan saga (Gohan's training) and the trip to namek.

This naruto shit is insufferable.

Think I'll watch the last 3-4 episode filler arc of naruto and then do shippuden (looks like the last arc involves Gaara kicking ass)

MikeMyers

The worst DBZ gets with filler is the early saiyan saga (Gohan's training) and the trip to namek.

This naruto shit is insufferable.

Think I'll watch the last 3-4 episode filler arc of naruto and then do shippuden (looks like the last arc involves Gaara kicking ass)

I like the Gohan training filler, gave him some nice development to help him with his debut.

DBZs filler other than perhaps the Gohan training stuff, was actually pretty good imo or at least weren't as utterly horrible as naruto's and bleach's.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I do remember one bit of Dragon Ball filler (the original) where Goku was sent back in time to train with Roshi's sensei, and somehow he was stronger than him. This was after Goku killed Demon King Piccolo, where Roshi's sensei merely sealing Piccolo ended his life.

But yeah, Dragon Ball and DBZ filler isn't too bad.

I was stunned when I read a review of One Piece Season 2 Volume 1 that spoke positively of the Apis arc. Then I saw Bleach filler and now I know why.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
i kinda like the pun :p

The problem with the pun is that it's misleading. Saying something was left "in one piece" is (potentially) different from what THE One Piece actually is.

There's also no mention of "One Piece" in the Japanese script there. If you're translating it straight, the phrase wouldn't appear there at all.

I was stunned when I read a review of One Piece Season 2 Volume 1 that spoke positively of the Apis arc. Then I saw Bleach filler and now I know why.
Honestly the Apis arc isn't that bad when taken on its own. Parts of it are even kind of fun, and it's pretty short too. Its only real issue is that it directly contradicts numerous points from the series' canon, some of which don't come into play until years and years later. It was just sloppy work by Toei making too many assumptions about what they could get away with in a filler. Since then it's just been outright ignored and never mentioned again, so really no harm, no foul.

The problem with the pun is that it's misleading. Saying something was left "in one piece" is (potentially) different from what THE One Piece actually is.

There's also no mention of "One Piece" in the Japanese script there. If you're translating it straight, the phrase wouldn't appear there at all.

true. the manga's translation is probably the best, though, because Funimation's just makes it sound like they missed the obvious phrase.

Tamanon

Banned
Picked up Casshern Sins collection for $10 at Best Buy today. Man, I forgot how brutal the fights can be, since they're all robots anyway. Got my vodka ready for the feels.

Up to episode 14 of One Piece. Gotta say, that opening is really starting to grow on me. Also, it's nice to see Luffy punch people again. It had been so long since I had seen this show. Bringing a lot of good memories back.

I'm not ready to die yet. Not until I fulfill my dream of becoming Hokage.

BELIEVE IT!

5Jwjg.jpg

Jintor

Oh God. Please don't pick it up, Toonami. PLEASE DON'T PICK IT UP!

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

MMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE... ... ...

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

MMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE... ... ...

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I think I'll have to borrow Andrex's Death Note

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Picked up Casshern Sins collection for $10 at Best Buy today. Man, I forgot how brutal the fights can be, since they're all robots anyway. Got my vodka ready for the feels.

ib1golI0pbhuJn.gif

How long will it take to find a way out...

Kusagari

Soon Toonami will be nothing but shonen.

Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, DBZ, Toriko, HxH 2011 and finishing off with Yu Yu Hakusho.

Muhahahaha.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Oh god, please no. Unless they could somehow show the superior abridged version I don't want any DBZ at all.

DBZ Kai is amazing though.

TBH it wouldn't hit the nostalgic strings though without the original American score.

They should pick up the original Dragon Ball.

Actually this might be preferable. I never finished DB.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
There once was a time (January 2008) where between Toonami and Adult Swim you had Naruto, One Piece (Funimation One Piece, no less), Dragon Ball Z, Bleach, and Death Note all airing in a row.

...It didn't last very long.

Seda

Couldn't watch much One Piece today. Got to 49 at Logue City.
The Arlong Arc was easily the best so far, although I didn't care for how it ended.

When Nami started stabbing her tattoo, strong stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom