• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT5| If we die in this thread, we die in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Not necessarily, but nothing in the first episode gave me confidence that they will be answered. I could see one or two being addressed, like the battery issue and who else is running this game, for example, but for most there's no way.

And really, I can't get over every single person doing exactly what the crazy mass-murderer says. That's really the most telling one of the bunch. I mean, I'm sometimes wary of using items with dubious descriptions in games that AREN'T trying to kill me.

I don't see why they wouldn't open the gift. I mean... it's not like you open the gift and it's like "SURPRISE YOU'RE DEAD" or anything like that. They're already trapped. What's the worse that can happen from opening a gift from a person who just trapped you in there? LOL

I'm being sarcastic if you couldn't tell

i totally thought this was going to happen when they took out the mirror.

GFDiablos.png

yami4ct

I don't see why they wouldn't open the gift. I mean... it's not like you open the gift and it's like "SURPRISE YOU'RE DEAD" or anything like that. They're already trapped. What's the worse that can happen from opening a gift from a person who just trapped you in there? LOL

I'm being sarcastic if you couldn't tell

You could play it off that the initial group just did it because they were still in shock from the previous events and couldn't think straight. The rest fell into place between group think/peer pressure or the fact they saw the others that opened it didn't immediately die.

Initial thought regarding SAO: Well I was laughing....and I have no idea why. As for the all the questions, I would say "fuck it" and just roll with it

yami4ct

Initial thought regarding SAO: Well I was laughing....and I have no idea why. As for the all the questions, I would say "fuck it" and just roll with it

Outside of a couple episodes, the first arc is completely watchable in a so bad it's good kind of way. The second arc though is just ughhh.

Amikami

Banned
This will be my first time with SAO. I have a feeling it's one of those things you shouldn't let yourself get too caught up in the details with. Just enjoy the ride, because the story is probably hard to tell if using too much logic. In other words, turn off your brain and enjoy. Don't take it too seriously.

Some questions might even be answered later.

Jintor

Well obviously, but it could have just been done in an internal monologue real fast during a fight instead of teaching that guy. You know, have him in a fight, struggle a little and go "doh, I forgot I'm supposed to do this". It was just incredibly slow for a first episode. I mean would it have been so much to ask to have a little bit of ominous build up to the big "no one can log off reveal"? I mean cut between the game and some cops dealing with the beginnings of what's going on outside or something. Gimme a little build up for crying out loud. I mean even the first episode of GPX wasn't this devoid of drama.

This is exactly what I am talking about! Given an hour we could have done a better job on the script.

Are you saying that we could make a better die in the game you die for real anime?

I'm with Metatron though, those were all questions that immediately occurred to me that I don't see the series answering. Well, maybe. Doesn't seem like overthinking it to me.

yami4ct

I'd prefer a take on a "if you dine in the game, you dine for real" anime

Well, SAO gives you that. Kind of. Sort of.
There's a whole episode side plot about eating in the game. Apparently the game replicates neurological signals for taste.
It might be my favorite part.

I just want an anime set in a game that has impact, but doesn't rely on die for reals drama
I agree, I believe it's pretty lame trope , you could do a lot with a Vr game setting without going to that drama .

Well, SAO gives you that. Kind of. Sort of.
There's a whole episode side plot about eating in the game. Apparently the game replicates neurological signals for taste.
It might be my favorite part.

As much as that was a joke, stuff like that will probably be my favorite part .

yami4ct

I just want an anime set in a game that has impact, but doesn't rely on die for reals drama

Yeah, even Hunter x Hunter pulls that. .hack does coma instead of death, but it's similar enough.

Honestly, I can't think of any series set in a game that doesn't try to create fake drama with "die for real".

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Are you saying that we could make a better die in the game you die for real anime?

I'm with Metatron though, those were all questions that immediately occurred to me that I don't see the series answering. Well, maybe. Doesn't seem like overthinking it to me.

It wouldn't be hard considering where the bar has been set with the first episode

Jintor

when you pretty much infinitely respawn, though, how else do you create drama except by removing that aspect?

The easiest solution imho is a sports anime eSports manga or something. But hell, if you executed well enough you could probably make a roguelike MMO hardcore enough. Just say if you die it wipes your save and treat it with the appropriate amount of gravitas and you could probably make it meaningful enough for the audience. I mean SAO bollocked up die in the game die for real yesterday and that's, like, the holy grail of video game consequences.

yami4ct

So... Would you guys rather be part of The World (.hack) or SAO?

The worst thing that happens in .hack is you go into a coma. In SAO, you just straight up get brain fried.

On the other hand, there's a clear out in SAO. Clear the game, get out. In .hack, it's much more nebulous how it's all going to end.

Wait, are we assuming we're stuck in one or the other? Couldn't people besides some of the main characters log out in .hack? If so, that's your clear answer.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The worst thing that happens in .hack is you go into a coma. In SAO, you just straight up get brain fried.

On the other hand, there's a clear out in SAO. Clear the game, get out. In .hack, it's much more nebulous how it's all going to end.

Wait, are we assuming we're stuck in one or the other? Couldn't people besides some of the main characters log out in .hack? If so, that's your clear answer.

The inability to log out only happened to a single character in .hack, and that was resolved by the end.

The World looks like a much better game. Rather, The World R:2.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
the .hack games have to be the most meta things in the universe, they're games, that are based off an anime, thats based off an MMO, but the game itself is just a traditional RPG(iirc) but its structured like if you was in a MMO

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
And that's why it's awesome.

I really wish they had made an actual MMO though, even if it sucked, lol.

foxuzamaki

so im catching up in the naruto anime from where i left off
the control kurama arc
and if i remember this arc right its going to contain alot of feels, lots of good feels, and i think this was the most praised arc since pein.

foxuzamaki

I always thought of the elder scroll games as 1st person MMOs when i brought it up when elder scrolls online ws announced people say its the furthest ever from it

The easiest solution imho is a sports anime eSports manga or something. But hell, if you executed well enough you could probably make a roguelike MMO hardcore enough. Just say if you die it wipes your save and treat it with the appropriate amount of gravitas and you could probably make it meaningful enough for the audience. I mean SAO bollocked up die in the game die for real yesterday and that's, like, the holy grail of video game consequences.

well, if you do that you're basically making an entirely different kind of show.

yami4ct

You guys just got me to dig out my copies of the original 4 .hack games. Oh god, what have I done?

In other news, just found out the games offer the choice of Japanese or English VO. Yay! Why don't all games do that?

But I'm talking about setting here, not type of show

and i was taking about how to make a show like dot hack or SAO have real drama you sort of have to have the "U DIE IRL" thing :p

yami4ct said:
You guys just got me to dig out my copies of the original 4 .hack games. Oh god, what have I done?

man, that whole set's probably worth some money. i know the fourth one alone goes for quite a bit. now i'm jealous.

yami4ct

and i was taking about how to make a show like dot hack or SAO have real drama you sort of have to have the "U DIE IRL" thing :p

man, that whole set's probably worth some money. i know the fourth one alone goes for quite a bit. now i'm jealous.

I just realized I don't have a copy of 3, but that happens to be the cheapest one on eBay. I can complete my set for like $25. Might as well at that point.

I really think it's just 4 worth anything. You can grab 1-3 for like $20-30 a piece. 4 had an obscenely low print run IIRC. It was real difficult to get a hold of. Glad that's not the one I'm missing.

Jintor

I still don't really agree with that notion. DBZ remained compelling even though death amounted to nothing more than having to wear a stupid halo over your head and only getting to visit earth once in a blue moon.

yami4ct

Just checked my copy of 4. It's in remarkably good shape given how young I was when I played those games. Just some minor scratching from playing. Seems like it was after the time I stopped treating my games like crap. Awesome! That thing's worth like ~$100. Going to become a new treasure to me. Didn't realize until it was mentioned that it was really worth anything. New shelf candy.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Game 4 is the best and has .hack GIFT included on it AND it was part of an extremely low print run.

It's one of the only really valuable PS2 games out there.

I just realized I don't have a copy of 3, but that happens to be the cheapest one on eBay. I can complete my set for like $25. Might as well at that point.

I really think it's just 4 worth anything. You can grab 1-3 for like $20-30 a piece. 4 had an obscenely low print run IIRC. It was real difficult to get a hold of. Glad that's not the one I'm missing.

well, i know the other ones aren't worth nearly as much but people do tend to appreciate the full sets. i remember playing the first one a while back and liking it, but i hear all the games are pretty similar. still, i'd like to go through all of them one day just because.

Jintor said:
I still don't really agree with that notion. DBZ remained compelling even though death amounted to nothing more than having to wear a stupid halo over your head and only getting to visit earth once in a blue moon.

that's true, but the heroes failing in their mission and all dying would result in the death of just about everyone on Earth. threat of death was still the reason for the drama

Jintor

that's true, but the heroes failing in their mission and all dying would result in the death of just about everyone on Earth. threat of death was still the reason for the drama

Well, it did get pretty crap when they were just wishing 80% of the population back to life every other episode. That was GT though I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom