• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT5| If we die in this thread, we die in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I think we have to take into consideration that there are probably is a million legit authors out there that use the stories they wrote in highschool in their science notebook, difference is they expanded on them to a degree that its no longer fanfiction

Jintor

I think we have to take into consideration that there are probably is a million legit authors out there that use the stories they wrote in highschool in their science notebook, difference is they expanded on them to a degree that its no longer fanfiction

I always got a kick out of the fact that Raymond E Feist's Magician was the backstory he invented for some tabletop game he and his friends were playing. Fantastic book considering it's pretty much the arctypical generic fantasy universe (well, two of them, but I digress).

Discworld, too, apparently has at least some of its roots in Pratchett wondering about dumb tropes in tabletop games, so he must've played a few.

Sao just sat on the authors website for years until accel world became a big hit. His publisher realized he had this other story and asked if they could publish it as well hence how Sao came back years. There were some changes from the original to the official version, most noticeably the cutting of whole chapter about
kiritos and asuna's first time having sex

I will point out when we get to this "skipped scene" in the anime if people are interested in reading it. It's very nsfw though lol

foxuzamaki

I remember when sao was airing that people were constantly wondering what they were going to do with that scene lol

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Remind me again why a good dubbing company never picked up Gintama?

No clue. They could easily make a Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo style gag dub with Western references all over.
Or lines like "I can't read this, it's in Japanese!"

1 episode in and we have people that have only seen the toonami premier shitting all over SAO and saying the writing is bad. That's like reading one chapter of a book and judging the whole product off that extremely small sample size.

If you've seen the whole series and have a negative opinion, that's fine. However, some viewers on here need to experience SAO for themselves and then form their on opinions. I have a feeling some of the hate being generated after one week is fueled by those of us who have seen the series and aren't fond of it because that faction of toonami-gaf has been vocal about it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
1 episode in and we have people that have only seen the toonami premier shitting all over SAO and saying the writing is bad. That's like reading one chapter of a book and judging the whole product off that extremely small sample size.

If you've seen the whole series and have a negative opinion, that's fine. However, some viewers on here need to experience SAO for themselves and then form their on opinions. I have a feeling some of the hate being generated after one week is fueled by those of us who have seen the series and aren't fond of it because that faction of toonami-gaf has been vocal about it.

That's a little presumptuous on your part. I genuinely went into that episode normally and came out thinking that the writing was atrocious. Because it was. I understand exactly what they were trying, and failed to do, with the first half of the episode. I understand what they wanted to do with the reveal and why they failed at it. It was not set up well, at all. There are a half dozen different ways they could have done the episode that would have been better. It was straight up bad. Maybe it was good compared to what's coming, that's an entirely other thing.

My comments had nothing to do with sample size, an entirely well written book doesn't mean that sections of it can't be written badly. Look at Huck Finn, the book is amazing except for the last part where they try and free Jim. That part was bad, everything that came before was great. Bad writing is bad writing. Maybe SAO manages to redeem that episode (what it focused on) at some point down the line, but that won't go back and make the writing of this episode genius.

That's a little presumptuous on your part. I genuinely went into that episode normally and came out thinking that the writing was atrocious. Because it was. I understand exactly what they were trying, and failed to do, with the first half of the episode. I understand what they wanted to do with the reveal and why they failed at it. It was not set up well, at all. There are a half dozen different ways they could have done the episode that would have been better. It was straight up bad. Maybe it was good compared to what's coming, that's an entirely other thing.

My comments had nothing to do with sample size, an entirely well written book doesn't mean that sections of it can't be written badly. Look at Huck Finn, the book is amazing except for the last part where they try and free Jim. That part was bad, everything that came before was great. Bad writing is bad writing. Maybe SAO manages to redeem that episode (what it focused on) at some point down the line, but that won't go back and make the writing of this episode genius.

It would be different if people were saying "that episode was poorly written" but instead I've been seeing statements claiming that the writing is horrible in general off of one episode, now that's presumptuous.

And your HF comparison proved the point I was trying to make.

Oh good, the fun is truly starting to begin, the SAO wars will now wrought and tear Toonami GAF asunder.

Hardly.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It would be different if people were saying "that episode was poorly written" but instead I've been seeing statements claiming that the writing is horrible in general off of one episode, now that's presumptuous.

And your Huck & Finn comparison proved the point I was trying to make.

Hardly.

Ah well, all my criticism so far has just been on that one episode. I have a vague idea of what's coming (that combined with what I saw Saturday doesn't make me hopeful) but I haven't actually seen it.

Only 24 more weeks and we are free of SAO!

May god have mercy on our souls.

Ah well, all my criticism so far has just been on that one episode. I have a vague idea of what's coming (that combined with what I saw Saturday doesn't make me hopeful) but I haven't actually seen it.

Yeah I wasn't talking about you. Your criticism has been well thought out and balanced rather than just "lol SAO sucks right guys?"

Basically I'm just asking people to give it a chance before passing judgement on the whole series. After a few episodes if they still don't like it then let the shit talking commence.

Crocodile

I was out all day Saturday so I didn't have the energy to stay up and watch Toonami live :(

I was able to watch some of the episodes after the fact though and I gotta say, this week's episode of Soul Eater was one of the best episodes of a Shonen anime I've ever seen. Like GOD DAMN. Show is so good <3 <3 <3

i'm pretty sure everyone is indeed referring to the first episode, not the series as a whole. this is a similar argument as to whether people should put "imo" after everything. the reason this has generated so much discussion is because this is probably the biggest thing to come to the block, and for most of us the episode sits in the middle ground of "bad but not awful" because of missed opportunities, which is much easier to discuss, than the boring terribleness of Tenchi GXP, the general mediocrity of Samurai 7, or shows like Soul Eater where the most you have to say is probably "damn, ______ is good." the nature of this episode's flaws lends itself more to discussion than any of those, in short. not to mention that it's probably the biggest thing to come to the block. the amount of talking it's generated does not necessarily mean people are passing judgement on the series as a whole, though some are. and while maybe they should probably wait, let's be honest here, first impressions are first impressions.

LEWL SAO SUX GUYZ AMIRITE

Guys guys, calm down about SAO. The first episode gets everything you need to know out of the way, with a couple of fluff moments.

Ya know all of those action scenes that Toonami promoted for it? They all come from the same episode. The next episode is gonna clear things up and change some opinions. That's all I can say. The first episode introduced people. The dub is another factor that killed some people.

Now, since i'm lazy, how many more weeks until we get Soul Eater's BARK BARK? ( Since next week is..........Soul Eater. )

Can't wait till the reactions to the
incest.
Why japan?

if it's done well and doesn't come off as freaky otaku wish fulfillment i don't think it should be too much of an issue. for me, anyway. i imagine everyone else is gonna freak the hell out.

*waits for avatar quote*

Can't wait till the reactions to the
incest.
Why japan?

Personally, I can only care (as in have a negative view) about fictional incest if you can sufficiently convince me "these people are related" , I wince at Avatar related fan stuff I unfortunately come across at times due to this, I'll also care about it negatively if it's sufficiently fetishized.

if it's done well and doesn't come off as freaky otaku wish fulfillment i don't think it should be too much of an issue. for me, anyway. i imagine everyone else is gonna freak the hell out.

*waits for avatar quote*

I'm kinda curious what you mean by "done well" ...

I'm kinda curious what you mean by "done well" ...

i'm not referring directly to what i'm discussing in what's been spoiler-tagged, but i've tagged it anyway because you guys can probably narrow it down quite a bit based on the context.

if it's treated like the taboo that it is, and not in a positive light. MAYBE if it's played for laughs, and that's a big "maybe." basically, how i imagine this show will not treat it.

Jintor

In my experience, things rarely get better from a mediocre first episode, but very often continue to go downhill. In any case, I've always been a big fan of the idea that the successfulness of any piece of media's ability to get you to want to keep watching/playing/reading/etc is a legitimate part of its merit that can be judged.

foxuzamaki

If i remember correctly and this is basically because everyone kept talking about it, spoiling it for me but
isnt asuna his cousin? if so it wouldnt technically be incest as its legal in japan to marry someone like your cousin, and it wasent that long ago that you were able to marry your cousin in western countries

If i remember correctly and this is basically because everyone kept talking about it, spoiling it for me but
isnt asuna his cousin? if so it wouldnt technically be incest as its legal in japan to marry someone like your cousin, and it wasent that long ago that you were able to marry your cousin in western countries

SAO spoilers below:

No, Kirito is not related to Asuna at all. The "incest" people keep talking about is the "relationship" Kirito has with his little sister who in reality is his cousin. Basically she develops a crush on him but ultimately the feelings are not reciprocated because Kirito is in love with Asuna.

foxuzamaki

SAO spoilers below:

No, Kirito is not related to Asuna at all. The "incest" people keep talking about is the "relationship" Kirito has with his little sister who in reality is his cousin. Basically she develops a crush on him but ultimately the feelings are not reciprocated because Kirito is in love with Asuna.

ahh i didnt get up to her introduction
is this people's 1st anime or something lol

yami4ct

So, been playing through the original .hack after all this SAO talk inspired me to bust it out.

Man, that game is way shorter than I remembered. You could lose hours to it if you wanted, but there really isn't much to do side quest wise. I'm 8 hours in and almost done at this point. Definitely in the last 25%. That game is still really boring from a gameplay perspective. Combat is pretty simple and slow.

From a story perspective, it's as strange and cool as I remember. It has problems for sure. It loves to obfuscate important details for the sake of creating mystery. Still, the way it drops in small moments about the characters and their outside lives is really neat. It really brings SAO's lack of subtlety into stark contrast. The way they convey world details is far more interesting than SAOs giant text wall of "a ton of people are dead". If SAO gets one point, though, it's that it actually makes the world feel populated. It feels like an MMO. The .hack games are clearly hardware and budget limited. The worlds feel small and empty. That's really the most disappointing aspect. Base story is still pretty interesting, even if it's convoluted. Really glad I picked this up again. I have some really fond memories and, for the most part, they've held up.

Yeah, even Hunter x Hunter pulls that. .hack does coma instead of death, but it's similar enough.

Honestly, I can't think of any series set in a game that doesn't try to create fake drama with "die for real".

Accel World which was written by the same guy as SAO has that. Though it also has its own set of problems. Its better than SAO but not by much.

Moaradin

Yeah, even Hunter x Hunter pulls that. .hack does coma instead of death, but it's similar enough.

Honestly, I can't think of any series set in a game that doesn't try to create fake drama with "die for real".

I'm about to watch Green Island for a second time. That arc was just so good.

Better than SAO for sure.

Accel World which was written by the same guy as SAO has that. Though it also has its own set of problems. Its better than SAO but not by much.

I saw Accel World shortly after SOA. The writing was certainly better, but I enjoyed the world in SAO much more. Accel World was more of a personal story and the stakes weren't very high, but it was alright. The main character was really annoying though.

And now I can't unhear him when I watch Attack on Titan cause it's the same actor who plays Eren Jaeger :lol

yami4ct

I'm about to watch Green Island for a second time. That arc was just so good.

Better than SOA for sure.

I'm probably one of the few people who feels like Greed Island is my favorite HxH arc. It's just so much fun.It definitely works better on the written page than on screen, though. On the page has way more ways of helping the viewer keep the rules and cards straight. It gets a bit convoluted in the show.

Now that Chimera Ant is free from hiatus and Togashi scribble arc, the animated version of that arc may end up changing my favorite.

Moaradin

I'm probably one of the few people who feels like Greed Island is my favorite HxH arc. It's just so much fun.It definitely works better on the written page than on screen, though. On the page has way more ways of helping the viewer keep the rules and cards straight. It gets a bit convoluted in the show.

Now that Chimera Ant is free from hiatus and Togashi scribble arc, the animated version of that arc may end up changing my favorite.

Yea Green Island is currently my favorite arc as well, but the new arc is shaping up really well. I wish I got to experience those Togashi scribbles.

Mature

So, been playing through the original .hack after all this SAO talk inspired me to bust it out.

Man, that game is way shorter than I remembered. You could lose hours to it if you wanted, but there really isn't much to do side quest wise. I'm 8 hours in and almost done at this point. Definitely in the last 25%. That game is still really boring from a gameplay perspective. Combat is pretty simple and slow.

From a story perspective, it's as strange and cool as I remember. It has problems for sure. It loves to obfuscate important details for the sake of creating mystery. Still, the way it drops in small moments about the characters and their outside lives is really neat. It really brings SAO's lack of subtlety into stark contrast. The way they convey world details is far more interesting than SAOs giant text wall of "a ton of people are dead". If SAO gets one point, though, it's that it actually makes the world feel populated. It feels like an MMO. The .hack games are clearly hardware and budget limited. The worlds feel small and empty. That's really the most disappointing aspect. Base story is still pretty interesting, even if it's convoluted. Really glad I picked this up again. I have some really fond memories and, for the most part, they've held up.
This is what I've been saying

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I played through all of .hack for a second time with a buddy late 2011/early 2012 and even went as far as completing the Item Completion Event. Even if you drag out INFECTION to the end (getting everyone their best armor and weapons and completing all the side bits you're talking about at most a 15 hour game.

Same with 2 and 3. 4 is closer to 20 for all the sidequests and 30 for the item completion event.

But yes, the best part about the game are the email conversations, random fake crap on the newsboards and the few sidequests where you learn stuff about the other characters real lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom