• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT5| If we die in this thread, we die in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I wonder if Toonami is ever going to show Bleach Hell Verse or have another movie night in general. I wonder how the rights for that work, I know Neon Alley is showing it again later this week.

I still have my completely unwatched Memories of Nobody and DiamondDust Rebellion dvds sitting here...tried watching Memories when it came out, fell asleep within 10 minutes, never tried again. Bought DiamondDust and never got around to watching it. I'm thinking about giving the latter a watch tonight, I'm on a big shonen kick for some reason.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I wonder if Toonami is ever going to show Bleach Hell Verse or have another movie night in general. I wonder how the rights for that work, I know Neon Alley is showing it again later this week.

I still have my completely unwatched Memories of Nobody and DiamondDust Rebellion dvds sitting here...tried watching Memories when it came out, fell asleep within 10 minutes, never tried again. Bought DiamondDust and never got around to watching it. I'm thinking about giving the latter a watch tonight, I'm on a big shonen kick for some reason.

We're getting Rebuild of Evangelion 2.22 on August 31st.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
We're getting Rebuild of Evangelion 2.22 on August 31st.

Nice, I really enjoyed that one. I really like the idea of movie nights, it gives that event feel Toonami had back in the day.

I also saw that Clone Wars was getting added to the block. Perfect choice, if you ask me. Not my #1 pick for what I'd have them show, but it's way more entertaining than Thundercats or Tenchi.

Jintor

Nice, I really enjoyed that one. I really like the idea of movie nights, it gives that event feel Toonami had back in the day.

I also saw that Clone Wars was getting added to the block. Perfect choice, if you ask me. Not my #1 pick for what I'd have them show, but it's way more entertaining than Thundercats or Tenchi.

For a free pickup, I really can't complain.

Hell verse has some pretty good sakuga, actually

Managed to catch up with the last battle between Ichigo and Aizen.

It's nice to see Ichigo finally have enough power to finally bring down the villain's smug ass! Well... not really defeat him. Shame he lost his SR powers, but a least he was able to buy enough time for Urahara to imprison Aizen after that Hogyoku (sp?) started rejecting him.

But even more satisfying was that Aizen started losing it everytime he got 1up'd like that.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
One Piece's overall cast is even larger than Bleach, but Bleach has most of it's cast constantly in play, which makes it feel overly large.

Yeah, One Piece's named cast is MUCH MUCH larger than Bleach's, but the world's structure makes it so only a tiny fraction of the cast is really relevant at any one time. Occasionally you get blasts from the past and callbacks to past characters, but usually they tend to be fairly memorable characters. Relatively obscure characters coming back and becoming important does occasionally happen, but it's rare.

The problem with Bleach is that because the world is so centralized, the entire cast is theoretically in play at all times, yet barely any of them are ACTUALLY important. Occasionally the series likes to temporarily pretend that a few characters are important, only for it to mostly turn out to be a time wasting exercise.

For example, in the arc we just saw, in the last 30 or so episodes, the only characters who turned out to be ACTUALLY important were:

Ichigo
Aizen
Gin
Urahara
Isshin
...maybe Matsumoto? Even that is a stretch.

And that's about it.

789shadow

Banned
Yeah, One Piece's named cast is MUCH MUCH larger than Bleach's, but the world's structure makes it so only a tiny fraction of the cast is really relevant at any one time. Occasionally you get blasts from the past and callbacks to past characters, but usually they tend to be fairly memorable characters. Relatively obscure characters coming back and becoming important does occasionally happen, but it's rare.

The problem with Bleach is that because the world is so centralized, the entire cast is theoretically in play at all times, yet barely any of them are ACTUALLY important. Occasionally the series likes to temporarily pretend that a few characters are important, only for it to mostly turn out to be a time wasting exercise.

For example, in the arc we just saw, in the last 30 or so episodes, the only characters who turned out to be ACTUALLY important were:

Ichigo
Aizen
Gin
Urahara
Isshin
...maybe Matsumoto? Even that is a stretch.

And that's about it.
Tits McGee is only important in terms of Gin.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
But it's already really fucking stupid...

lLGKsTS.png

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
But it's already really fucking stupid...

If you didn't like episode 2, episode 3 will freaking break your mind.

Also, in regards to the whole Beater thing, it's poorly executed. However, those who are saying the beta tester and non-beta tester dynamic, maybe the following explanation will help answer stuff.

So there are two types of players in the game. Beta testers and new players. Before the episode even started, there was a lot of animosity between these two groups because the beta testers had info about the game and selfishly used them to get ahead. They got all the good items and and leveled up fast. The new players didn't knwo what to do so they were pissed. However, not all the beta testers were assholes like the ones I described. By the end of the episode, the prejudice against the beta testers were at an all time high. In an effort to prevent prejudice against all beta testers, Kirito tried to distinguish the beta testers who exploited their knowledge and those who didn't. You now get just a beta tester and the "cheating" beta testers (aka beater).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I get the explanation already, it's not that complicated. That doesn't make it not dumb as shit though. I just can't see how anyone likes this show. It's just so bad.

kayos90

No biggie. lol. I do love the show a lot. Don't get me wrong though, I think it's stupid as hell. However it appeals to me visually and the gamey aspects are interesting. I normally don't buy anime. In fact... I only own like.... 4 things anime related with the exception of my MG Gundam model kits. However, despite me recognizing how shit SAO is I bought the BD Vol 1 lol. It'll go with my F/Z box sets, E7 set, and Eva 2.22. Lulz

Grizzlyjin

For a free pickup, I really can't complain.

Hell verse has some pretty good sakuga, actually

The stories are usually pretty throwaway and just excuses for everyone to fight, but seeing all the characters with better animation is a major plus. DiamondDust wasn't that bad. I rented Fade to Black and Hell Verse.

As shitty as Bleach was handled, I still have a major soft spot for the series. I started watching it in 2004, Day 1. Fell way behind after the Bount Arc, but I still enjoy the premise. The Aizen stuff got drawn out way too long, especially in the anime adaptation with all the stops and starts and filler arcs.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So there are two types of players in the game. Beta testers and new players. Before the episode even started, there was a lot of animosity between these two groups because the beta testers had info about the game and selfishly used them to get ahead. They got all the good items and and leveled up fast. The new players didn't knwo what to do so they were pissed. However, not all the beta testers were assholes like the ones I described. By the end of the episode, the prejudice against the beta testers were at an all time high. In an effort to prevent prejudice against all beta testers, Kirito tried to distinguish the beta testers who exploited their knowledge and those who didn't. You now get just a beta tester and the "cheating" beta testers (aka beater).

But the beta testers didn't get ahead at all. Other than Kirito they're now behind all those noobs. And aside from that, people don't act like that in MMOs, other than your obnoxious griefers, who would probably get ostracized and/or killed pretty damn fast in this context. And it ESPECIALLY doesn't make sense in a multiplayer game where you know you're going to die unless you get your shit in order. And for those that weren't beta testers, well, they should be going waaaaay the fuck out of their way to make sure that beta testers are their best friends, especially in the early stage of the game. So this basic concept of "prejudice" against beta testers is, on the absolute most basic and fundamental level, ass backwards and stupid as shit.

And aside from all of that, the fact is that after a month of non-stop gameplay by all the players whatever advantage in experience the beta testers once had would be all but negligible anyway. Every single person in the game has now put in over 720 hours of gameplay at the bare minimum. A beta tester who put in 100+ hours in the beta isn't going to be so massively advanced compared to every one else at this point.

kayos90

But the beta testers didn't get ahead at all. Other than Kirito they're now behind all those noobs. And aside from that, people don't act like that in MMOs, other than your obnoxious griefers, who would probably get ostracized and/or killed pretty damn fast in this context. And it ESPECIALLY doesn't make sense in a multiplayer game where you know you're going to die unless you get your shit in order. And for those that weren't beta testers, well, they should be going waaaaay the fuck out of their way to make sure that beta testers are their best friends, especially in the early stage of the game. So this basic concept of "prejudice" against beta testers is, on the absolute most basic and fundamental level, ass backwards and stupid as shit.

The beta testers did get ahead though. Perhaps they didn't portray this well enough in the anime but take for example Kirito, he was far more knowledgeable than normal players. Plus the game is their life now. If there are limited resources and everything, is it really weird that people wouldn't exploit what they know for their own benefit? It's multiplayer in the sense that everyone is playing together in a party and whatnot but if a person has the best gear and items they're more likely to survive. Party for all you know can be purely nominal. When you get right down to it, if I'm in a party with 3 other people and I have way better gear, even if someone else dies I have a higher chance of living. It's basically fend for yourself and the other people who had to deal with that stuff didn't like it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Right, after two episodes I can safely say that Sword Art Online is one of the worst anime titles I have ever watched. Can't put it above GXP and Bleach yet, but it has potential to be that bad.

Right, after two episodes I can safely say that Sword Art Online is one of the worst anime titles I have ever watched. Can't put it above GXP and Bleach yet, but it has potential to be that bad.

Nothing about Bleach will rage you as much as later episodes of SAO will

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I agree, I am starting to think Firehawk didn't go far enough with his review.

Tenumi

Banned

I feel like I'm pointing out stupid bits every couple scenes, and we have yet to reach the episodes that I haven't watched previously. Episode 3, this Saturday, is going to be a first time watch for me.

IDK, but I'm getting a nice laugh or two from watching SAO. I learned my lesson from watching Blood-C the first time....treat this shit like a comedy

Kainazzo

Blood+ is the worst anime ever.

Those were slow days for that block. Back when it aired Reign: The Conqueror, Witch Hunter Robin, and I just sorta' stopped watching for a couple of years. From the bare minimum I watched when it aired, it's Vietnam War 2 fought by a girl from Vietnam War 1, and she's fighting zombie body snatchers with a sword.

Was there more to it than that?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
SAO isn't offensively bad like a certain other anime that shall remain nameless in this thread. It's just bad.

You do realize we are only two episodes in right now, we have many an episode for this to go downhill, and I keep getting told this is going to go downhill.

kayos90

You do realize we are only two episodes in right now, we have many an episode for this to go downhill, and I keep getting told this is going to go downhill.

If people considered the second episode a massive drop compared to the first one, a fucking crater the size of Antarctica is gonna be made when episode 3 airs.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Blood+ is the worst anime ever.
Ugh, I tried to like it when it aired on Adult Swim, but just got so bored with it. Same can be said for Trinity Blood now that I'm reminded of it.

Was Blood C any better? I couldn't motivate myself to check that out after having little memory of Blood+ aside from Saya.

Wilsongt

Not really understanding the hate about Episode 3. It strikes at the feels a bit for me. I feel there is a a bigger dip after
Asuna saves Kirito from that one guy in the valley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom