• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT5| If we die in this thread, we die in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
I'm looking forward to the Fullbringer arc personally. I actually enjoyed it in the manga and ready to see it animated. Let's see how the filler is before that though.

i'm trying to weigh whether i want it to do well throughout the rest of its run or if i want to see the incredible gratification of its ratings going to shit but possibly (probably) having a detrimental effect on the rest of the block.

Regardless of how bad the show is we should want it to do well to support the block. The only "meh" show on the block is igpx and that's basically free so I'm not gonna complain. Bleach and Sao are at least entertaining even when they're really bad.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I think Toonami might want to look into replacing Big O after it does its run. Since they can only show Season Two with the rights for Season One being tied up, there is probably a bit of a obstacle for people wishing to jump in.

I wonder how the ratings for Bleach will be in the upcoming months. It's not going to be stop and start filler, we got 30+ straight weeks of it. But honestly I don't even know if filler really impacts the first run ratings that much.

Even though its two years away, God help us when Naruto hits its filler, they've made it pretty clear that they don't intend on skipping those episodes...which is going to be VERY painful. Toonami is a once a week thing now. When Naruto originally aired in the US they were showing two episodes a week, so they got through the filler pretty quickly. 80+ weeks of Naruto filler is really going to drag down the momentum of the block, if you ask me.

It's also really impressive that the rating spike back up for Inuyasha. I mean we are talking about 5am on a Sunday morning here. Haha

I also couldn't help myself, I started marathoning One Piece on Hulu. In the middle of the Water 7 arc now. Soooooooooo good.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I agree for the most part however there are parts of Bleach (none coming up that I remember) that can get crazy boring.

EDIT: Nothing was as painful as watching Naruto filler back in the day when it originally aired in Japanese. You'd hope at the start of every new arc that it would be the last, the constant rumors, the ridiculous premises...though it was entertainingly bad. The first few arcs in particular are what the fuck crazy. My favorite episode is the apology for filler episode that comes near the end of the run.

People watching the US version (before it got put on hiatus) knew what was coming. 80 episodes of pain with a clear ending.

Tamanon

Banned
Filler doesn't matter much if they're part of a storyline. I think the only way it would impact the ratings that much is if it was 30 episodes of "Ichigo learns to cook ramen" and other randomness.

Do Bleach Filler Arcs generally get good ratings?

They generally get the same ratings. Bleach has a really stable audience.

Even though its two years away, God help us when Naruto hits its filler, they've made it pretty clear that they don't intend on skipping those episodes...which is going to be VERY painful. Toonami is a once a week thing now. When Naruto originally aired in the US they were showing two episodes a week, so they got through the filler pretty quickly. 80+ weeks of Naruto filler is really going to drag down the momentum of the block, if you ask me..

well, they did recently backpedal into "we're not sure what to do with that, and it's a ways off so who cares." possibly they were referring to filler episodes within the main story when they said they wouldn't skip any Naruto episodes.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I agree for the most part however there are parts of Bleach (none coming up that I remember) that can get crazy boring.

EDIT: Nothing was as painful as watching Naruto filler back in the day when it originally aired in Japanese. You'd hope at the start of every new arc that it would be the last, the constant rumors, the ridiculous premises...though it was entertainingly bad. The first few arcs in particular are what the fuck crazy. My favorite episode is the apology for filler episode that comes near the end of the run.

People watching the US version (before it got put on hiatus) knew what was coming. 80 episodes of pain with a clear ending.

Yeah, those were rough times. I still remember people talking about "Well we know this arc ends in 3 weeks from the previews, so things should be back on track soon." And then another filler arc would air, and another, and another, and another.

Other than Bleach's Bount Arc, I generally refuse to watch filler episodes. Even in the early days of Bleach, if it was a Kon centric episode I knew to just turn it off and wait until next week.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've said it at least five times before but I prefer any one-two off filler after the Bount Arc to the canon story. I love Bleach when it is wacky. The best part of the entire series were the little bits at the end of episodes.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Which is?

Making him into a total joke who can't do anything right.

h7Hl6CSl.jpg

DVUFNeEl.jpg

XLdDdT0l.jpg

tumblr_mfw6smj8iu1rzzywno2_500.jpg

Bonus:

iqsOieUBPO1rt.gif

Don't take this the wrong way but be quiet and watch

Is that you, Adam Orth?

This arc is fucking stupid.
Giant talking bugs? Really, that's the best you can come up with? And the king is a straight rip off of cell. Everything was great until this trainwreck.

Ratings time!

12:00AM Bleach 1.0 HH, 1.559 million
12:30AM Naruto 0.9 HH, 1.152 million
1:00AM One Piece 0.8 HH, 1.025 million
1:30AM Soul Eater 0.7 HH, 933,000
2:00AM Sword Art Online 0.7 HH, 840,000
2:30AM IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix 0.6 HH, 708,000
3:00AM Eureka 7 0.6 HH, 703,000
3:30AM Big O/An 0.5 HH, 619,000
4:00AM Fullmetal: Brotherhood 0.5 HH, 634,000
4:30AM Cowboy Bebop 0.5 HH, 640,000
5:00AM Inuyasha 0.5 HH, 696,000
5:30AM Inuyasha 0.5 HH, 701,000

http://www.tvmediainsights.com/highl...-july-29-2013/

Nothing unexpected. Lol @ the people who were expecting SAO to break 1M at the 2AM slot.

I'm looking forward to the Fullbringer arc personally. I actually enjoyed it in the manga and ready to see it animated. Let's see how the filler is before that though.

I'm the biggest Bleach stan here and even I'll admit that the fullbring arc is complete shit.

Jintor

I actually quite liked two aspects of it:

A) The return to the 'monster of the week' urban fantasy wake-up-go-to-school-fight-demons structure, at least for a few weeks, and B) The complete and total nightmare scenario of a stranger suddenly existing in your life as though everyone has known them forever except you

Never seen it animated though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I actually quite liked two aspects of it:

A) The return to the 'monster of the week' urban fantasy wake-up-go-to-school-fight-demons structure, at least for a few weeks, and B) The complete and total nightmare scenario of a stranger suddenly existing in your life as though everyone has known them forever except you

Never seen it animated though.

The villain's power was goddamn hilarious. I have to see if I can find the comics depicting it for when we get up to it. There were some good ones.

Is that you, Adam Orth?

This arc is fucking stupid.
Giant talking bugs? Really, that's the best you can come up with? And the king is a straight rip off of cell. Everything was great until this trainwreck.

Nothing unexpected. Lol @ the people who were expecting SAO to break 1M at the 2AM slot.

I'm the biggest Bleach stan here and even I'll admit that the fullbring arc is complete shit.

Hates chimera ant arc, thinks gin's death should give people feels

:|

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It had a single run on Adult Swim Action.

The first third is amazing, the rest is garbago. Good dub though!

I literally feel the exact opposite. First half is meandering and a little boring, second half is high stakes real-life chess.

I literally feel the exact opposite. First half is meandering and a little boring, second half is high stakes real-life chess.

When they finally get the explanation of who the Dollars are shit gets better.
Random Note: Why does DDDR seems to have every well known English DUB actor voicing a character?

We got enough of those for now. Gotta make room for shows that are actually good.

Which shows in the block do you think are like that? Fairy Tail is really super generic literally every arc you could feed into a machine random names and elements and it writes itself. I can only think of one twist that actually surprised me in the series
The reveal of who Stahngun was

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
When they finally get the explanation of who the Dollars are shit gets better.
Random Note: Why does DDDR seems to have every well known English DUB actor voicing a character?

Because they all knew it was awesome. It isn't even a Funi show.

And yes, Toonami could always use another Blum show. (Kyohei! Or should I say, Dota-chin!)

Maybe you'd understand if you didn't watch Bleach just to hate on it

Being critical =/= hating

Now SAO I am hate watching, I love the series but it's awful in a fun way

Edit: And even if I foamed at the mouth for Bleach I still would place any arc of HxH well above any arc of Bleach, especially the Chimera Ant and Yorkshin arcs

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I lost all interest after the first plot of DRRRRR ended.

No way Celty's quest to find herself was more interesting than the Saika arc or the Dollars vs. Yellow Scarves arc. The series built to a magnificently well-planned crescendo.

Being critical =/= hating

Now SAO I am hate watching, I love the series but it's awful in a fun way

Edit: And even if I foamed at the mouth for Bleach I still would place any arc of HxH well above any arc of Bleach, especially the Chimera Ant and Yorkshin arcs

I'm pretty sure you've said before that Bleach is a hate watch. If you bitch about it every single week but still tune in, that's pretty much the definition.

Chimera Ant arc is trash.
1. Talking humanoid bugs/animals are your villains? C'mon son.
2. Kite gets killed like it's nothing even though he's a pretty powerful hunter. What a load of shit.
3. These ant things just magically develop nen powers? Isn't that reserved for special humans and take years of training to master? What a lazy cop out.
4. Ant prince/king dude is a straight clone of Cell and Frieza
5. Adult gon is dumb
6. Neetero is one of the top nen users in the world and can't even scratch the prince/king but a generic fucking bomb hurts him? This fight was so unsatisfying and really just pure bullshit, talk about overpowered villains.

Every other arc was ace, this one sucked. Period.

mhs004

I'm pretty sure you've said before that Bleach is a hate watch. If you bitch about it every single week but still tune in, that's pretty much the definition.

Chimera Ant arc is trash.
1. Talking humanoid bugs/animals are your villains? C'mon son.
2. Kite gets killed like it's nothing even though he's a pretty powerful hunter. What a load of shit.
3. These ant things just magically develop nen powers? Isn't that reserved for special humans and take years of training to master? What a lazy cop out.
4. Ant prince dude is a straight clone of Cell and Frieza
5. Adult gon is dumb
6. Neetero is one of the top nen users in the world and can't even scratch the prince but a generic fucking bomb hurts him? This fight was so unsatisfying and really just pure bullshit, talk about overpowered villains.

Every other arc was ace, this one sucked. Period.

Dude just look at bleach if you don't like this stuff then you should hate bleach. Aizen the main villain turns into a butterfly for a reason no one can think of. The way that chad and boob girl got powers is BS and they have not done anything with there BS powers to be of importance. It took ONE episode after training for Ichigo to beat Aizen with ease to and Aizen is overpower to hell and back.
I actually like Bleach to but common son.

Dude just look at bleach if you don't like this stuff then you should hate bleach. Aizen the main villain turns into a butterfly for a reason no one can think of. The way that chad and boob girl got powers is BS and they have not done anything with there BS powers to be of importance. It took ONE episode after training for Ichigo to beat Aizen with ease to and Aizen is overpower to hell and back.
I actually like Bleach to but common son.

You're new here, but I've explained many times over at length why I like Bleach. I'm not going to post a novel again. As for your comments:

1. Aizen evolved into that form by using the hogyoku. Even though Gin "stole" it, the hogyoku remains a part of Aizen's body because it is under his control. Pay attention.

2. Chad and Orihime both have high spiritual power/awareness and being around Ichigo awakened their powers. Orihime uses her healing powers all the time, her ability is not suited for combat. Chad is a capable fighter but still just a human who has recently discovered his powers, he's not going to be taking down tough opponents that vice captain/captain level shinigami struggle with.

3. Ichigo trained in the dangai for months to learn the final getsuga tensho. Time moves slower in there, that's why he was gone for a few hours but came back older with a mullet.

C'mon son.

yami4ct

To be fair Fairy Tail does have the deepest plot and some of the most exciting back stories in Shonen history :p

Only after we get rid of Bleach or Naruto. I feel Toonami should always keep quite a few spaces to run 12-25 episode shows on a regular rotation. It keeps the lineup fresh and makes it so there's always a new show to look forward to if you dislike the current stuff. I fear Toonami will get too clogged by long running, very same-y shonen stuff.

mhs004

You're new here, but I've explained many times over at length why I like Bleach. I'm not going to post a novel again. As for your comments:

1. Aizen evolved into that form by using the hogyoku. Even though Gin "stole" it, the hogyoku remains a part of Aizen's body because it is under his control. Pay attention.

2. Chad and Orihime both have high spiritual power/awareness and being around Ichigo awakened their powers. Orihime uses her healing powers all the time, her ability is not suited for combat. Chad is a capable fighter but still just a human who has recently discovered his powers, he's not going to be taking down tough opponents that vice captain/captain level shinigami struggle with.

3. Ichigo trained in the dangai for months to learn the final getsuga tensho. Time moves slower in there, that's why he was gone for a few hours but came back older with a mullet.

C'mon son.
I like bleach for what it's worth myself. It's just you're complaints confused me as bleach has holes and kind of stupid things plot wise itself. I would have liked to seen a longer final fight as the whole show was pretty much showing aizen toying with people then ichigo goes and trains and destroys him with ease even if he trained in months time. Aizen's evolution was kind of meh also could have been better looking with better powers. I like chad to I wanted him to be more important hopefully in the final arc he wrecks shit up.

.....that's my line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom