• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT7| I Don't Believe It

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Not really, I imagine most people watching the sub will post in anime gaf and most watching the dub will post here.

I imagine there will be a lot of interesting discussions and debates comparing the sub and the dub. Especially since it's simul. It won't have much impact on the "realtime" Toonami chatter, but there has to be something to talk about for the other 6 days of the week right? :)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I imagine there will be a lot of interesting discussions and debates comparing the sub and the dub. Especially since it's simul. It won't have much impact on the "realtime" Toonami chatter, but there has to be something to talk about for the other 6 days of the week right? :)

The weekday conversations around here get weird at times.

True, but I imagine most toonami gaffers aren't going to bother watching the sub even if it aired earlier then the dub. Honestly I imagine the people who will watch both sub and dub will be a minority.

Oh god. Duckroll is here. Is everything okay? Is someone getting banned? Oh. Just talking about Space Dandy. It's gonna take some getting used seeing new people in here from time to time.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
We are already banned
Kenshirofingerpoint.jpeg

Speaking of which, I might as well check the sub of the first episode at one point for a comparison, but considering it'll be on Toonami, I'll stick with the dub unless the sub somehow is far more superior.

Raxus

I doubt the sub will be 'far' superior to anything Funimation puts out now a days. Most of their recent stuff has either been spot on and even rarely better than the original cast.

I just hope the series is good so a) we have an 11:30 slot and b) anime is no longer teh d00m3d

Levyne

Banned
Ha, I don't even know duckroll well at all, just fooling around

Now when 3 or 4 red names popped in when Seda achevived the mark of mastery, now that was scary, though I was more of a lurker then

edit: Maybe that was another thread...bad memory

I wish we could give subtitles to mods like Organization XIII. =D

It's funny you bring that up because I just picked up a PS2 and copy of Kingdom Hearts II this weekend from a new video game store in town; that's why I've been floating in and out of here lately. Kingdom Hearts and Chain of Memories were two of my favorite games growing up but I never got to play KHII until now and..well..it's kind of underwhelming thus far. Terrible Roxas intro, too much exposition, combat is really simple (press x to win, perform QTE to win), lip syncing is off, etc...Even the tech is showing its age, which is to be expected.

I think some people tend to look at this series through rose-colored glasses.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, playing something like BBS or even 358/2 Days (yes, even that one!) have more interesting combat systems.

Also, the HD remix should have the harder difficulty setting, which is always a nice way to attenuate the level of "press x to win"

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It's funny you bring that up because I just picked up a PS2 and copy of Kingdom Hearts II this weekend from a new video game store in town; that's why I've been floating in and out of here lately. Kingdom Hearts and Chain of Memories were two of my favorite games growing up but I never got to play KHII until now and..well..it's kind of underwhelming thus far. Terrible Roxas intro, too much exposition, combat is really simple (press x to win, perform QTE to win), lip syncing is off, etc...Even the tech is showing its age, which is to be expected.

I think some people tend to look at this series through rose-colored glasses.

Hilarious you say that cuz Seda and I were talking about Kingdom Hearts last night. rofl.

Yeah, playing something like BBS or even 358/2 Days (yes, even that one!) have more interesting combat systems.

Also, the HD remix should have the harder difficulty setting, which is always a nice way to attenuate the level of "press x to win"

PS4 isn't backwards compatible, is it? I really don't want to have to buy a PS3 just to play it this late in the generation.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah...when the PS4 comes out gonna replace the 360 from the stand and keep the PS3 around. Should still be seeing a lot of support from Japan and, yeah, gonna need it since no BC :(. With the architecture change it's understandable, though.

bigkrev

I'm not getting a PS4 till Spring or Summer next year, so my entertainment center is fine for now. Right now, I just have the PS3 and Dreamcast hooked up (along with a Roku and a Cable Box). My 360 is relegated to being in the cabinet until I want to play something from XBLA, I hook it up. Hell, my Ouya is more accessible than my 360 right now!

Levyne

Banned
I originally bought the 360 for the weird amount of exclusive JRPGs (at the time) and Mass Effect. In the last 2+ years I think I've only used it for Mass Effect 3 (didn't want to start a new character on the PC).

bigkrev

I originally bought the 360 for the weird amount of exclusive JRPGs (at the time) and Mass Effect. In the last 2+ years I think I've only used it for Mass Effect 3 (didn't want to start a new character on the PC).

Bought mine in January of 2006 because I needed Dead or Alive 4 and the demo of EA Fight Night round 3 (which was the first "next gen" game that wow'd me). It red ringed on me the day Bioshock came out, and took them over 3 months to get it back to me. It would Red Ring again in 2009, when it was out of warrenty, so I bought a PS3 Slim and pretty much have been Playstation exclusive since then. I eventually bought a used 360 super cheap off of Craigslist, which works fine for playing my Arcade titles.

Since I dozed off early on Saturday and was preoccupied with Kingdom Hearts II on Sunday, I never got a chance to post my Ghost in the Shell impressions from the first episode. Well, here they are:

1st half:
- Really digging the intro and now that I think about it, I've seen this before! I'm pretty sure SAC used to come on Adult Swim back when I was in high school because that theme song sounds awfully familiar. Anyway, that was a great way to set the futuristic/cyber-punk mood.

- In the opening scene where Kusanagi shoots that guys foot off I literally said "holy shit" out loud in shock. Speaking of Kusanagi, I think I've found my new waifu, sorry Liz but you can't beat the trenchcoat & panties look.

tumblr_m590viMxAc1qm4heyo1_500.gif

- "I think he broke" LOL

- Lots of exposition but I still don't understand what's really going on

2nd half:
- "Occasionally he [the minister] likes to swap bodies with them [Geisha's] when he's drunk" Uhh..okay? This is getting weird.

- This is turning into CSI, interest starting to fade...must...maintain...attention

- Okay this music is piquing my interest...brain switching eh? Makes sense. The chase is on!

- This CG still looks beautiful to me

- Busted, looks like the Foreign Minister had his brain switched out with that of a cyber terrorist who was seeking asylum in America. Does this implicate the United States government in espionage? Interested to see where this is going.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, I guess it opened with a "stand alone" episode. So just setting up the characters and setting, which is smart.

I'm sure I've seen 80% of GitS in some random order so it'll be nice to see it front to back and actually pay attention and see it in its entirety. The late time slot doesn't help but definitely going to make an effort to follow it. I mean, yeah, the CSI comparison is quite apt I guess, nothing complicated just have to not zone out during the exposition.

- Busted, looks like the Foreign Minister had his brain switched out with that of a cyber terrorist who was seeking asylum in America. Does this implicate the United States government in espionage? Interested to see where this is going.

You can worry a little less about situations raised in stand-alone episodes. The world-building concepts they bring up can come back into play in complex episodes, though.

You can worry a little less about situations raised in stand-alone episodes. The world-building concepts they bring up can come back into play in complex episodes, though.

Okay, now the title makes sense. If I'm understanding things correctly, this series has "Stand Alone" episodes which are one off and "Complex" episodes which tell an overarching story, right? How does the viewer know what type of episode they're getting into?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Okay, now the title makes sense. If I'm understanding things correctly, this series has "Stand Alone" episodes which are one off and "Complex" episodes which tell an overarching story, right? How does the viewer know what type of episode they're getting into?

Title card says either Stand Alone or Complex

Those are cool shirts but I'm at that age where I'd get weird looks for wearing that out in public. Not even throwing a flannel and members only jacket on top to achieve the "hipster nerd" look would help.

i feel like Ghost in the Shell's first episode made that mystery way more complicated than it needed to be. it's pretty straight-forward, but the way they explained it made it seem confusing.

LOLDSFAN

I always told myself that when I'd get old enough to have a job, I'd buy custom stuff like that. Then I got old enough to get them, but too old to wear them. :[

Jintor

- In the opening scene where Kusanagi shoots that guys foot off I literally said "holy shit" out loud in shock. Speaking of Kusanagi, I think I've found my new waifu, sorry Liz but you can't beat the trenchcoat & panties look.

If what you're showing off is actually a prosthetic body is it really flashing?

the answer is yes

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Oh god, I can see the animegaf vs toonamigaf war happening any day now, and it will be a dark, dark time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom